Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:20 pm

The kit does have some useful item. Complete set of extra batteries, the d-ring attachment and the dome. Are must haves

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:22 pm

corrsk wrote:The downside of the sandwiches is the 3 year shelf life. But I eat them regularly to rotate them. Also I keep the mayday 400 bars instead of the larger 1200,2400,3600. They make decent snacks and I've never been able to eat a 1200 bar. I can get them locally for $2
I have ER and Mainstay bars and I've eaten a 3,600 ER and a 2,400 Mainstay at different times. It wasn't easy, but I did it! lol The Mainstay was coconut flavored and actually good. On the short shelf life of those sandwiches, it wouldn't be an issue since this food will be rotated or used every few months since it will experience temps inside of my car's trunk. I'll look into those mayday bars, not a bad idea to add supplemental calories and I need to add some jerky as well. Point being, I love food, I eat a lot of it (4-5 meals a day at around 3,000 calories), and I couldn't go long without it!
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:23 pm

400 calories of ration bars is a lot easier to do than 1200

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:58 pm

corrsk wrote:400 calories of ration bars is a lot easier to do than 1200
Found those sandwiches on Survivalkit.com so I might be picking a few of those up too, especially that bacon and cheese one! Which ones have you tried?

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Nice set-up, I likewise tried to keep my GHB light and share the same thoughts about getting home quick if things go south.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:03 pm

BBQ beef. BBQ chicken. The Italian one and the apple something or another. The epicenter has them as well. I'd look for them cheaper though. They taste as good or better than hot pockets.

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:11 pm

corrsk wrote:BBQ beef. BBQ chicken. The Italian one and the apple something or another. The epicenter has them as well. I'd look for them cheaper though. They taste as good or better than hot pockets.
Theepicenter is great, but their shipping is ridiculous! I just checked for the same items on there, it's $1 cheaper for what I want, but shipping for 4 sandwiches if more than the 4 sandwiches themselves. $11.62 for the sandwiches, $11.92 shipping. campingsurvival.com is $12.34 sandwiches, $5.47 shipping. That's why I never buy anything there anymore and they have by far the best MRE options.

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:16 am

Dragon80 wrote:
corrsk wrote:400 calories of ration bars is a lot easier to do than 1200
Found those sandwiches on Survivalkit.com so I might be picking a few of those up too, especially that bacon and cheese one! Which ones have you tried?
One thing to keep in mind, at least on the bacon and cheese SRE, make certain you have plenty of water around, as it will make you thirsty as hell (at least, it made me thirsty). Something about the bread just gave me some serious "cotton-mouth." Other than that it's pretty tasty though...plenty of bacon on it. I can't say the same thing about the pepperoni and cheese one though, it's literally a SlimJim-sized stick of pepperoni stuffed into a slab of bread.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:54 am

If your gonna get Mayday. Get the (I think it's) Apples & Cinnamon. They taste great. Other flavors have had a lot of poor feedback. Not tasting good. But the A&P is really good. I could eat a lot of those without getting sick of the taste.

Also if your into the OPSEC poncho. I'd check out their Swack Shack tarp too. It's made really well. Weighs in at one pound. And IIRC all the attachments are sewn on. So they can be repaired in the field. I really like their stuff. Still trying to decide between the two. But leaning towards the tarp. As I already have goretex rain gear. And I'm 6'3". The poncho doesn't have quite enough cover as a tarp. But the tarp is quite large. With plenty of room underneath.
Last edited by moab on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by moab » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:55 am

NamelessStain wrote: I don't have a BOB, my INCH is my BOB, lol.

I found a new friend. ;) Amen brother.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:24 pm

moab wrote:If your gonna get Mayday. Get the (I think it's) Apples & Cinnamon. They taste great. Other flavors have had a lot of poor feedback. Not tasting good. But the A&P is really good. I could eat a lot of those without getting sick of the taste.

Also if your into the OPSEC poncho. I'd check out their Swack Shack tarp too. It's made really well. Weighs in at one pound. And IIRC all the attachments are sewn on. So they can be repaired in the field. I really like their stuff. Still trying to decide between the two. But leaning towards the tarp. As I already have goretex rain gear. And I'm 6'3". The poncho doesn't have quite enough cover as a tarp. But the tarp is quite large. With plenty of room underneath.
I looked at the Swack Shack but ended up going with a DD tarp instead that's 3mx3m. I've already played around with the opsec and while it's not huge, it is 104" long. It may not be ideal but I fit under it well enough to survive.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”