Extra portage in your BOB?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Extra portage in your BOB?

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:55 am

We all pack our BOBs stuffed as much as possible with almost no room to add anything else. So I was thinking about the situation after one bugs out where you find/scavenge some stuff that, for whatever reason, you want to carry with you for a while. Seems like some kind of extra bag might be helpful to have. Something light weight.

Best I can think of at the moment is some of the recycled, reusable grocery store bags. Or perhaps pack some stuff in an extra dry sack that I don't have to keep the stuff dry, although a lot of them don't have convenient handles for carrying. A good dry sack bag would have the advantage of being useful for temporary water portage.

Anyone thought about this much and what is your solution?
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Re: Extra portage in your BOB?

Post by mystic_1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:48 pm

You can get foldaway backpacks.

Or as above another use for your tarp tent.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:56 pm

I had not seen that diagram before. That's helpful. I have a bandana in my BOB that I know I could use for carrying small items.

Foldable backpacks are typically kind of heavy. Plus they generally seem to be designed to be worn on the back where the BOB would already be. I'm thinking something more toteable. Not very tacticool, but this foldable grocery tote is only 25g in weight: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290987859498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Ideally, I'd like to find something even a little bigger. I've looked at some lightweight compression sacks, which could be useful for organizing the BOB, but I'm having trouble finding something toteable.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:58 pm

raistlin wrote:I had not seen that diagram before. That's helpful. I have a bandana in my BOB that I know I could use for carrying small items.

Foldable backpacks are typically kind of heavy. Plus they generally seem to be designed to be worn on the back where the BOB would already be. I'm thinking something more toteable. Not very tacticool, but this foldable grocery tote is only 25g in weight: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290987859498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Ideally, I'd like to find something even a little bigger. I've looked at some lightweight compression sacks, which could be useful for organizing the BOB, but I'm having trouble finding something toteable.
You can wear a backpack on your front in a pinch.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:10 pm

drop bear wrote:You can wear a backpack on your front in a pinch.
Or I could just get something that is designed to be totable, and lighter weight since it wouldn't have back pack straps. LOL

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:11 pm

raistlin wrote:Not very tacticool, but this foldable grocery tote is only 25g in weight: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290987859498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I've got a couple of reusable grocery bags in my EDC for, er, groceries and stuff.

One of the is cotton, much like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230607090685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another is synthetic, polyethylene I think, much like the material a cheap tarp is made from but more finely woven.

While you can buy them from plenty of places, you also find them being given away by vendors at trade shows and the like.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:13 pm

raistlin wrote:I had not seen that diagram before. That's helpful. I have a bandana in my BOB that I know I could use for carrying small items.

Kakatare Fukuro works really well with a shemagh (keffiyeh) and I would suggest switching to one if you're using currently the traditional < 18" bandanas. They have a plethora of other uses as well.

Larger items can be bundled up with some of your spare paracord and lashed to your pack, or you could rig up a shoulder strap with more paracord or your shemagh.

I can't think of too much I would carry in that thin nylon grocery tote that I couldn't carry using one of the above methods. I would have a hard time justifying a whole extra backpack or large carrying sack. I use dry sacks to organize my BOB into modules, so in a pinch I can empty one of those and use it for other purposes.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:30 pm

raistlin wrote:
Or I could just get something that is designed to be totable, and lighter weight since it wouldn't have back pack straps. LOL
You could get all kinds of things.

The ribs front pack folds away pretty good.
http://theruncommuter.com/review-ribz-front-pack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:42 pm

My thoughts on this subject:
my BOB (~25L) is probably 80% filled with a change of clothes. I can put the clothes on to increase the empty space in my pack.

I also have one of these Sea to Summit ultra-sil day packs packed at a friends house for "resupply" purposes. My line of thought is that if I were required to bug out from my friends house, it would be a backpack to carry minimalist kit. If I have my regular BOB I can use the sea to summit kit for resupply, and stow the ultra-sil pack without much weight or space.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:47 pm

drop bear wrote:
raistlin wrote:
You could get all kinds of things.

The ribs front pack folds away pretty good.
http://theruncommuter.com/review-ribz-front-pack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Too big, too heavy. Even the small version of that Ribz is 11oz, and it's a good guess it wouldn't compress down to the size of a dry sack or reusable grocery bag. I already have an REI Flash 18 that I could use which is the same weight: http://www.rei.com/product/827110/rei-flash-18-pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. In fact, the Flash 18 is one of the things that got me thinking about this.

I need something a lot smaller in total volume when folded and really lightweight. I just don't see any portable packs doing that.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:02 pm

mystic_1 wrote:Kakatare Fukuro works really well with a shemagh (keffiyeh) and I would suggest switching to one if you're using currently the traditional < 18" bandanas. They have a plethora of other uses as well.

Larger items can be bundled up with some of your spare paracord and lashed to your pack, or you could rig up a shoulder strap with more paracord or your shemagh.

I can't think of too much I would carry in that thin nylon grocery tote that I couldn't carry using one of the above methods. I would have a hard time justifying a whole extra backpack or large carrying sack. I use dry sacks to organize my BOB into modules, so in a pinch I can empty one of those and use it for other purposes.

mystic_1
I've got a shemagh and a 22" x 22" bandana in my BOB, and I just ordered a 27 x 27" Rothco "trainmen" bandana to replace the 22" (not sure what trainmen means). Seems useful to have both the shemagh and a bandana since one might need to be on my head :)

I definitely don't want to add more weight or volume. I don't even carry a tent in the BOB because I'm trying to stay light (tarping it instead). Since the useable grocery bags can be kept to ~1 oz, that seems reasonable to add the extra weight.

Maybe I just need to practice folding with the new bandana when I get it. If I can find a light weight dry sack that it totable (handle strap), that is also definitely a good idea.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:10 pm

BullOnParade wrote:My thoughts on this subject:
my BOB (~25L) is probably 80% filled with a change of clothes. I can put the clothes on to increase the empty space in my pack.

I also have one of these Sea to Summit ultra-sil day packs packed at a friends house for "resupply" purposes. My line of thought is that if I were required to bug out from my friends house, it would be a backpack to carry minimalist kit. If I have my regular BOB I can use the sea to summit kit for resupply, and stow the ultra-sil pack without much weight or space.
Thanks! That might be worth the extra ounces at 2.4oz. I didn't even think to see if Sea to Summit had anything. Looks like they have a tote/messenger bag more along the style of what I'm looking for that is about the same weight: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:13 pm

I have the stuff in my pack organized in two molle sustainment pouches, If I need more room in my pack, one or both of the sustainment pouches get attached to the out side. I can either put everything back in the ruck and have empty sustainment pouches, or leave them full and have an empty ruck, it depends on what I have to carry.
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:17 pm

Old lady here...

Don't laugh, but I use drawstring garbage bags.
Light, compact, strong, can hold odd shapes and have something to hold on to.

Well, laugh if you want to. :lol:
But they certainly would help you not to stand out... Also can cover that expensive-looking pack, if needed.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:22 pm

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Definitely a good idea to leave space in you pack if you can. You never know what you might come across that could be helpful that you might want to pick up. It could be black berries growing, or someone else's gear that they dropped out of their too heavy pack, the idea of keeping room for what you might find is a very good one. As well as extra storage containers. I have 3-4 bin liners in my pack as well as some gallon ziplocks. These serve the purposes of extra bags but also bin liners can be used for shelter building.

A great option if you have a full pack is the Roly Polys from Maxpedition. There are a few choices in size.

And they unroll to make dump pouches.

These can also be good water bottle holders for packs that don't have an easy to reach water bottle pocket.

Of course you can also find cheaper versions if you just search dump pouch. Which is what the Roly Poly is modeled off of. There are plenty of other makers who have versions as well as surplus ones. Most don't roll up as nice as the Maxpedition ones, but can still give you plenty of function. For those unfamiliar with dump pouches, they are made for military to put your empty mags in. Unlike movies, you don't want to just drop your mags on the ground and leave them. You want to collect your mags to refill later. A dump pouch tends to be the fast way to keep your mags rather than trying to put them back in a mag pouch.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:36 pm

Something like this firewood tote might work. Add some eyelets on the ends to make a kind of bag...

A strip of wide polymer webbing and some nylon. Roll your own. When not use use, roll it up.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks, everyone.

I really like the Riksak and Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil pack for light weight backpack options. However, I'm not convinced I could wear it in front with my SpecOPS The Pack on (I'm 6' 7" 280 lbs). Plus, over $30 for those packs.

I decided to give the Chicobag Vita in green a try for a little over $10 shipped:

No, it's not tacticool or backpacker cool looking, but it is rated for 40 lbs and folds up into a 4"x4" pouch. I can test it at the grocery store over the next couple of months and see if it's as durable and reliable as women indicate.

I the meantime, I can work on my bandana folding, too!

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:11 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Old lady here...

Don't laugh, but I use drawstring garbage bags.
Best thing for collecting dry twigs or soft berries.
I'd hate to have to put a couple of hand fulls of berries in a pocket or pouch.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:44 am

i carry one of the backpacks, and have several of their different sized bags.
http://ticketothemoon.com/en/eco_friendly_bag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also where i got a hammock. considering the shipping costs, it made sense to place a larger order. they have been good for me, haven't destroyed any of them yet.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:09 am

When I was into using a wood burning stove instead on alcohol/fuel stove, I would use a large collapsible mag dump pouch attached to my belt like Ineffableone mentioned. it is good for holding sticks and whatnot you pick up along the way, because usually when you get to shelter site, the area has been picked clean of firewood.

Otherwise if you find that it will not fit in your backpack, you can always throw it in a drysack or plastic bag and lash it to your pack. You would be surprise how much junk you can hang off your pack.

Another option is to have a smaller, collapsible, lightweight backpack in your pack and if you need it you can wear it across your chest like a chest rig. There are small collapsible packs like the Maxpedition Rolly Polly and even Walmart sells one that collapses to the size of a baseball. You can use a REI Flash 18 which can double as a stuff sack, taking up zero space in your primary pack.

http://www.rei.com/product/827110/rei-flash-18-pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.maxpedition.com/pc/ROLLYPOLY ... 12p506.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 pm

mystic_1 wrote:

Kakatare Fukuro works really well with a shemagh (keffiyeh) and I would suggest switching to one if you're using currently the traditional < 18" bandanas. They have a plethora of other uses as well.

mystic_1
I have a half dozen HUGE mil surplus bandanas I got from the sportsman guide. They are something like 33 inches square. I tried making a sling out of an 18" one and it's really only big enough for a child. There are some 22 inch square ones available but I really like the big ones I got.
Mine actually look to be in better condition than the ones pictured.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1009723

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:43 pm

ineffableone wrote:Definitely a good idea to leave space in you pack if you can. You never know what you might come across that could be helpful that you might want to pick up. It could be black berries growing, or someone else's gear that they dropped out of their too heavy pack, the idea of keeping room for what you might find is a very good one. As well as extra storage containers. I have 3-4 bin liners in my pack as well as some gallon ziplocks. These serve the purposes of extra bags but also bin liners can be used for shelter building.

A great option if you have a full pack is the Roly Polys from Maxpedition. There are a few choices in size.

And they unroll to make dump pouches.
Here are some less expensive dump pouches. They don't look like there as large when open as the maxpedition ones. I have some on backorder so I can't give a review yet.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=935762

Return to “Bug Out Gear”