Where do I put all those little things into my BOB?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Flash6605

Where do I put all those little things into my BOB?

Post by Flash6605 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 pm

So, I'm finally starting to create my bug out bag after completing my IFAK. I have most of the components, but many of them are minuscule, such as my iodine tablets and snare wire. I don't want to put them in little pockets in my backpack, because if the backpack is flipped or undergoes sudden motion, the items would tumble out. I am looking for a removable pouch that can hold all these little items. Can you guys name some that I could possibly look into? Thanks, all answers are appreciated
:clownshoes:

OudiOUTKAST

Re: Where do I put all those little things into my BOB?

Post by OudiOUTKAST » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 pm

I just got the kifaru pullouts in 525d nylon but they make them in ultra light too if that is more suitable. The small one holds my fire kit which is pretty small. I really like them but I look for pretty bomb proof stuff. Generic bags or pill bottles should work too.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Some of my small kit goes in my first aid pouch.

Otherwise toiletry bags can be pretty handy.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:43 pm

I keep stuff organized by category in stuff sacks. I find that this makes it easy to identify whats in the bag.

Things that I will need often enough that I don't want to dig through the bag to get I keep on the lid (or outer pocket if you don't have a lid on your pack). For me this includes storm matches, gloves, a poncho, Toilet paper, travel sized hand sanitizer, a small thing of mole skin and a small travel soap.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:50 am

I also clump things into containers of different sorts. Some hard containers like Altoids tins, other soft like the brown outer MRE bag or Zip up pouches. I have some things that are fast access on top or on the outer pouches.
The future is for those who prepare.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:17 am

i bought three or four cloth pencil cases from the dollar store. Super tacticool? Nope. Does it hold various little things and keep them from rolling around in the bottom of my pack? You know it. I group things together, one for toiletries, one for "urban" things (USB, cash, padlock), etc.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:26 am

Ziplock bags work pretty good.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:11 am

Flash6605 wrote:So, I'm finally starting to create my bug out bag after completing my IFAK. I have most of the components, but many of them are minuscule, such as my iodine tablets and snare wire. I don't want to put them in little pockets in my backpack, because if the backpack is flipped or undergoes sudden motion, the items would tumble out. I am looking for a removable pouch that can hold all these little items. Can you guys name some that I could possibly look into? Thanks, all answers are appreciated
:clownshoes:
Have you looked at the small survival kits that people put together in Maxpedition Beefy and Maxpedition Fatty pocket organizers? Try googling various combinations of fatty, beefy, maxpedition, survival, and EDC (look at YouTube results, too, and you'll see lots of videos of people showing the content). One organizational principle behind those small kits and a BOB is that if you had to abandon your whole back pack for some reason, your survival kit has some essentials of things you can instantly carry with you in a small package. So a very mini BOB within a BOB :)

But you don't have to use the heavy duty pouches like the Beefy and Fatty. In addition to the types of bags people mentioned, cheaper options than the Maxpeditions in molle pouch organizers are the Condor MA64 and Condor MA26 pouches.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Flash6605

Post by Flash6605 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:13 am

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of a maxpedition fatty EDC, as it looks like it can hold all the items I need.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:24 am

Flash6605 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of a maxpedition fatty EDC, as it looks like it can hold all the items I need.
I like the Fatty and use it in my BOB. The Condor MA64 is very close in size to the Fatty for less money if that would help. Although the Fatty is definitely better quality nylon and zippers and a little better design (at least for my purposes).
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:30 pm

I've used ziploc baggies and zippered pencil bags for similar loose items since I was in the Scouts. Right now, I've found the pencil bag has been the best solution for my various chargers and electronics, but it's not entirely waterproof. On my ruck, I found 100 round SAW ammo pouches were about the perfect size to hold and organize my toiletries, first aid, and one pouch is purely dedicated to TP in ziploc bags.

knight_308

Post by knight_308 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:45 pm

The pencil bag is probably the cheapest and easiest. Since I work in IT, we often have old laptop bags come through our hands (and frequently the SAME type of laptop bag). Many of these have pouches that are useful for this. Some of the old Targus bags have removable cable pouches made of heavy nylon with a good quality zipper that remind me of the Maxpedition Cocoon (without the $$$ price tag).

If I hadn't already snagged a bunch of those from dumpster-bound bags, the pencil bag would be my choice, too.
Proud to be a Cake Browncoat: "May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

knight_308's EDC

ViolentKooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by ViolentKooter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:09 pm

I use a Maxpedition Beefy organizer. It's tacticool and pricey, which I don't really like - but it sure is nice having everything in the same spot each time. And friends get gear envy over it :awesome:

In the past I used ziplocs, and those worked fine too.

Edit: Forgot to include a fly-fishing box, really nice for tiny things in a FAK (meds) and other stuff you don't want to get wet. http://www.flyfishusa.com/flyboxes/meiho-boxes.htm#M-62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by ViolentKooter on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vthunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: original "Night of the Living Dead"
Resident Evil series
Zombieland

Post by vthunter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Besides the aforementioned pencil and toiletry cases, Target had some various color pouches over near their toiletry/personal care/make-up area that were just a size between.

The colors really helped id the contents; you could also tie a short section of colored 550 cord to the zipper pull (I put a squeeze light on a couple) to aid in those searches in the dark recesses. I even found one covered in skull & crossbones and, while certainly not Kifaru or Maxpedition, were a pretty cool addition to the kit and really helped on the organization.

The freezer slider zip-locks, or equivalents, always are in my bag of bags and, of course, are clear and nearly-watertight so great for your fire kit, tinder, etc. Very light weight, too, if looking to avoid too many additional ounces (ounces=pounds, pounds=pain, right?).

Good luck on your search!!

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Beware the weight of a BOB that turns into a bag of bags. LOL!

My personal favourites are ziplock bags and pencil cases. Shoe bags work well too. You can also make your own stuff sacks and ditty bags fairly easily with an old pair of pants, a pillow case, old t-shirt, etc. and some basic stitching.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Ziplocks are a fav of mine. Cheap light and water proof as long as no holes or rips.

Something I have seen a few people use but have not tried myself is bead organizers. (also sold as tackle boxes or other names)

With these you want to look for ones with adjustable partitions. So you can customize to your needs.
There are a lot of different versions and a lot of different sizes. So if interested shop around to find ones useful for you.
The hard case can be helpful if you have things that need a bit of protection. The case also offers some water resistance. Having the small stuff separated out can make finding your stuff easier than all mixed up in one bag. The bad is it is definitely heavier that a ziplock while not super heavy, it can add up. As mentioned I don't have any of these myself, but have been tempted more than a few times to pick a few up to organize and keep my small stuff.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Boondock wrote:Ziplock bags work pretty good.
I use freezer ziplok bags- a bit larger, thicker, tougher, and they have an area already set up for labeling. Airtight, waterproof, and collapsible if you don't ned ALL that space, with the added plus of being see-thru, so you can spot what you're looking for without opening the 'wrong' bag. And added plus to zip-lok bags (of any grade), is that you can inflate them, seal them, and use them inside the pack for flotation when crossing water- just don't keep the pack on your back (tends to keep YOU face-down in the water).

I also use them for keeping spare socks and underwear dry, I've even found some larger bags that work nice that were used for parts, which I use for clothing- keeps the dirties from stinkin', and the cleans dry and clean. Even pressing most of the air out of clothing in bags before sealing still leaves SOME air inside the bag, so it still has a flotation value, just not as good as fully inflated.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23 pm

For my BOB, I use a combination of freezer bags (quart/gallon), dry sacks, pencil bags, and Eagle Creek bags. It just depends.

The only thing I'm careful of is not using too many separate sacks. You add onto the weight of your pack unnecessarily.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:16 pm

In my BOB I tend to use ziplocks a lot. Another advantage of the ziplocks is you can repurpose the ones in your BOB if you have to. Say your Bugging out and foraging and come across a bunch of blueberries. You can empty one of your toiletries bags and put the TP in your BOB, use the bag to carry the blueberries.

I actually usually put a few empty gallon size in my BOB for just such uses. When empty they do not take up much space or add much weight.

For my large separate FAK though I started watching for hard plastic organizers/pencil boxes at garage sales. These tend to protect the contents or fragile/sterile items better. I used one for meds, one for bandages/gauze one for lotions/ointments/sunscreen/bug repellent.

Aim2Maim

Post by Aim2Maim » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:17 am

http://www.cumberlandconcepts.com/produ ... pper-bags/

I use ziplock freezer bags as well, however I came across these at walmart and pulled the trigger. Could not be happier they are cheap, lightweight, and rugged for the price. I went online and order $30 worth of various sizes to use in other bags and to have extra. The zippers are not of top notch quality but then again they are not designed for heavy outdoor use. I have had them on 3 or 4 overnighters now and they have held up fine. The various sizes work perfectly for fire, fishing, water, ifak, really whatever kits you're looking at. Hope that helps
Behold the pale white horse, the man that sat on him was death, and hell followed with him.
If you prepare for the impossible, you can survive the inevitable.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:38 am

http://www.gearpods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have water purification tablets that are 2/liter, the 4.5" pod is just a hair above 16oz so you could use it with 1 tablet.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

moab

Post by moab » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:41 pm

I use a lot of small ziplock bags. And full size. Search ebay for things like "1x1 ziplock bag" or "2x2" or "4x4" - they come in a plethora of sizes (also look for 3mil to 6mil weight. Those will be tougher than your average ziplock). I find the 2x3 and 4x4 in 6mil to be the most helpful. And they weigh little. And with the 3-6mil thickness are very rugged. I use silnylon stuff sacks for larger stuff. Those way little as well. Also look into PET(?) soda bottles. They are little test tube looking things with a bottle screw cap. Those can be found on ebay as well. Search for soda bottles in the "Cache" section.

Beware of adding actual pouches. The weights and bulk add up.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:53 pm

I just punch holes, install metal eyelets, and find more room for WWII pouches. Nothing the M1910 hook system can fix.

You can put snap and "pull the dot" pouches practically anywhere, and endlessly add storage to the back. You can even fit in a M65 buttpack in If you plan it right.
Last edited by Kilo147 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:45 pm

I have been looking at some organizer bags and such at County Comm.
http://www.countycomm.com/bags.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Bug Out Gear”