Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
livinitup
* *
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 am

Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by livinitup » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:05 pm

A bugout bag is something you grab when you have very little notice to get out of your current location. Most of the time this will be because of some sort of natural disaster. Im having a hard time seeing why wilderness survival gear even has a place in a traditional "bugout bag" unless you live in a very rural area and are likely to be in that kind of environment if you have to bug out.

Is everyone running off to the woods when there's a tornado or hurricane? Wouldn't most people go to a friends, family members or hotel to bug out for a localized disaster? What use will the majority of this stuff have in the majority of cases?

I understand the wilderness survival thing, my hunting pack has the this kind of stuff in it because...it makes sense to have it when i'm already in the woods and there's a possibility of me needing it. I dont call it a bugout bag though... its just my hunting pack.

My bugout bag has a few pairs of clothes, cash, chargers, flash drive with important docs, a couple books and a bottle of water and some trail mix bars...that's about it. It's no more than an extended overnight bag.

What am I missing here?

Das Sheep
* * * *
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Das Sheep » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:32 pm

I think for many of us, bug out bags are essentially the bags we take when we go camping.

However the idea of the bug out bag, I think, is that it is a bag you grab if, after a major SHTF incident that may have caused local or national situations where people exist without the rule of law, and now for some reason your bug in location is compromised and you and your loved ones must leave very quickly or face serious bodily harm.

Maybe you have a bug out location only a twenty miles away on a friends property outside the city where you all agreed to meet if things go sideways. Having a means of cooking food while you walk there (you might be able to do 20 miles in a day, but can Jeffs 3 year old daughter, Tim's 66 year old mother or John's pregnant wife? No. Maybe you only get 5 to 10 miles in a day, especially if you have to move slowly or not in a strait path to the BoL.)

Having warm clothes, something to sleep with, food, hygine, etc, on this walk is going to make life much less sucky. If you are going to a rural property, it makes sense to have things that help make life less sucky in a rural situation.


An INCH bag is for if things get crazy enough that you really 'head for the hills. Its so bad that you BOL, BIL, etc are compromised and the cities are dangerous / out of food and you need to get far away. You probably won't be home for some time. You are going where there is less people, and you want a means of trying to survive while you try and wait what ever it is out.


Will these situations ever happen to us? Maybe not.

But making bug out bags and INCH bags is fun, and so is taking them camping and testing them. So thats why you see so much about them, I think.


Edit: I think most of us also have the more practical 'bug out tubs' for more mundane emergencies like fires, floods, hurricanes etc that have spare clothes, a few gallons of water, some blankets and a flash drive or two with our important info.

User avatar
PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6172
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: St Louis

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by PistolPete » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:42 pm

I do have to say I think many people's BOB's are too heavily weighted towards camping. Being able to shelter outdoors is a great idea, but what's going to be useful in a more mundane emergency like a house fire? An extra set of car keys, an old cell phone and copies of important papers or a 6" survival knife and flint and steel?

I know what that answer is for me, but everyone has to answer it for themselves. I also don't live by the idea my BOB needs to be super light, there are lots of situations where I'd be throwing it in a car. If I have to hike for days and it's too heavy, it's easy to pull things out. But to each their own! That's what these forums are for, to discuss and question ideas, to share our approach with other people and maybe get exposed to new ideas.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain
Image

Norcalbowhunter
*
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Norcalbowhunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:03 pm

I have wilderness gear because I am going to bug out into the woods. You are on the ZOMBIE hunter forums, the idea of being a zombie prepper is that you are preparing for the WORST CASE scenario. Not that you will have a power out for a week and have to go visit your family in the next state.

Do you think in such a situation like a zombie pandemic, or something just as bad that you are going to want to stay in the large cities and try to make it to your families town because its safe and dandy there? Screw that nonsense, it's not going to happen, even in a case like Hurricane Katrina people went nuts, rioted and looted houses and stores. I want to be as far away from that as I can, camping in the woods and letting people kill them selves somewhere else.

You got to realize a lot of us preppers here plain to run to the woods and try our luck there, and most likely we have several bob's based on the type of pandemic we will face.
Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked
- Psalm 82:4

drop bear
* * *
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by drop bear » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Yeah but what if........


Look the last time actually did bug out I walked a couple of k from my apartment to an abandoned. Building because it was cyclone rated.

I used a bit of my camping gear. So I do feel it useful to carry. Now because of this is do lean towards swags and not tents because they work well Indore's as well as outdoors. But peoples threats are going to vary.

ArmchairRacer
* * *
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by ArmchairRacer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:40 pm

BOBs with all the wilderness survival kit are fun and sexy and people like to fantasize about running off to the woods and joining the Wolverines when the Russians invade. The reality is that the most likely surprise bug out scenario you will face is probably a fire or a chemical spill. Both require you to leave on very short notice, but society keeps going so the things you will need are much more mundane: clothes, toiletries, copies of important documents, cash. Quite possibly the most useful BOB someone could have would include 3-5 days of clothes, whatever you normally wear to work; copies of all your important documents; a toiletries bag with travel size packs of soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc; a back up cell phone with a list of all your contacts; some power bars and bottled water; and $1000. That kit will get you through a few days to sort out insurance and start putting your life back together.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Norcalbowhunter wrote:I have wilderness gear because I am going to bug out into the woods. You are on the ZOMBIE hunter forums, the idea of being a zombie prepper is that you are preparing for the WORST CASE scenario. Not that you will have a power out for a week and have to go visit your family in the next state.

Do you think in such a situation like a zombie pandemic, or something just as bad that you are going to want to stay in the large cities and try to make it to your families town because its safe and dandy there? Screw that nonsense, it's not going to happen, even in a case like Hurricane Katrina people went nuts, rioted and looted houses and stores. I want to be as far away from that as I can, camping in the woods and letting people kill them selves somewhere else.

You got to realize a lot of us preppers here plain to run to the woods and try our luck there, and most likely we have several bob's based on the type of pandemic we will face.
Actually it's the forums of the Zombie Squad 501c3 charity organization.
When the zombie removal business is slow we focus our efforts towards educating ourselves and our community about the importance of disaster preparation. If you are prepared for zombies, you're prepared for anything.

To satisfy this goal we host disaster relief charity fundraisers, disaster preparation seminars and volunteer our time towards emergency response agencies.

Our goal is to educate the public about the importance of personal preparedness and self reliance, to increase its readiness to respond to disasters such as Earthquakes, Floods, Terrorism or Zombie Outbreaks. We want to make sure you are prepared for any crisis situation that might come along in your daily life which may include having your face eaten by the formerly deceased.
and
What do we use this forum for:

This forum was designed for disaster survival enthusiasts to have a place to share ideas for preparing for crisis situations. The goal we set for ourselves is to have what it takes to survive a zombie outbreak. Our survival expectations are this because we believe that there is nothing more horrifying to prepare for.

This does not mean we do not take the potential zombie threat seriously but we do understand that outbreaks are "rare". However, this does not interrupt our preparation. Even if there is not a zombie outbreak any time soon other situations can come up to disrupt your life such as hurricanes, violent viruses, terrorism, chemical accidents, in-laws, blackouts, etc.
If you can be prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you can probably be prepared for just about anything.
Not everyone prepares for the worst. Running into the woods is nowhere in my plans, nor I suspect, does it feature in the plans of many others. I prepare for the likely, followed by the unlikely, and then sometimes play pretend about the impossible (zombies) for zombie matches or fitness. My worst case scenarios are things like job loss, house fire, blizzard (int his city anyway) or hospitalization. I have a BOB full of wilderness gear that I use for campouts and some "oh shit" survival stuff in my car, but the preponderance of the word "zombie" does not mean that everyone here is running to the woods. Rather, quite the opposite is true, and a perusal of the WWYD section among others would show you that many (most?) here would much rather either bug in, or move out to a relative or friend's house, or a hotel, etc.

So, while the philosophy of "prepare for zombies and you can be ready for everything" is true, it doesn't mean to prepare for zombies first and foremost. Rather, use zombies as a metaphor. In zombie movies, does the power work? Not usually. Does the water work? Not always, and often it's dirty. Is the grocery store open and are the roads clear? Nope and nope. So, preparing for power less, water loss/contamination, or blocked roads would be wise. Well, that sets you up for weather and regional disasters (see WV last week and this week) pretty well. Zombies are attracted to sound and light, so if your generator attracts them and they are swarming on your house, you need to leave quickly. What can you grab in 5 minutes of less? I, for example, have a tote I can throw in the trunk, which leaves me time to throw my favorite things (PC tower, document safe, a couple expensive heirlooms I don't want to lose) and my always packed BOB in as well and deuce out. I wouldn't want to try to run through a zombie crowd, so I'll take a vehicle where possible. My car's first, because it can protect me from the zombies (elements) that could seriously hurt me. If I can't use my car, I have a bicycle, which means I have to ditch some stuff, and I may need to be more careful about clothing, PPE, and routes chosen. If I I can't drive home from work, I may not be able to use the same routes. Not a particular worry for me as I normally walk, but some others here weren't able to leave when certain parts of the road iced over.

That's how I see the whole zombie thing. If zombies did attack, or we were hit with a sweeping supervirus, I'd still be coming to work and living at home, though I'd likely to wearing gloves more and keeping my face covered. The last place I want to be is in the wilderness, because I'm not the first one to think of it, and if I get sick in the middle of the woods, there's not much at all I can do about it. At least here I can try to get whatever meds are available, or die in relative comfort. I don't prepare for the apocalypse because the apocalypse will suck in ways I don't want tot comprehend. if there's a nationwide fuckup that would require me to flee my comfortable air conditioned life, I'd just as soon move to Canada, etc.

You may disagree, and that's okay, but I feel it important to note the difference between using zombies as a tool to "attack" your plan and find holes in it, and preparing specifically/primarily for apocalyptic disasters.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Mikeyboy
* * * * *
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:11 pm

livinitup wrote:A bugout bag is something you grab when you have very little notice to get out of your current location. Most of the time this will be because of some sort of natural disaster. Im having a hard time seeing why wilderness survival gear even has a place in a traditional "bugout bag" unless you live in a very rural area and are likely to be in that kind of environment if you have to bug out.

Is everyone running off to the woods when there's a tornado or hurricane? Wouldn't most people go to a friends, family members or hotel to bug out for a localized disaster? What use will the majority of this stuff have in the majority of cases?

I understand the wilderness survival thing, my hunting pack has the this kind of stuff in it because...it makes sense to have it when i'm already in the woods and there's a possibility of me needing it. I dont call it a bugout bag though... its just my hunting pack.

My bugout bag has a few pairs of clothes, cash, chargers, flash drive with important docs, a couple books and a bottle of water and some trail mix bars...that's about it. It's no more than an extended overnight bag.

What am I missing here?
While I totally agree with you that some BOB gear selection is half-ass , you do need to look at your BOB gear selection this way; "I am evacuating my home, and I and grabbing this bag, I need everything in this bag to cover me for at least 3 days while I am HOMELESS."

You don't know what is going to happen when the SHTF and you grab that BOB. I can tell you this much however if your "bugout bag has a few pairs of clothes, cash, chargers, flash drive with important docs, a couple books and a bottle of water and some trail mix bars...that's about it. It's no more than an extended overnight bag" , and the disaster/evacuation is something more then a short drive to a hotel or your parents house, you are pretty much FUBUR. Your kit would have been near useless walking out of New Orleans post Katrina, or The Japanese city of Fukushima post 2011 earthquake/tsunami, In the Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan and so on.

Image

Image

Image


Now don't get me wrong, I think some people go to whacky on guns/ammo, and foot long survival knives. You do need important docs, cash, clothing and chargers, and dammit you need FOOD AND WATER. However you might need basic shelter, a way to stay warm in the cold, a way to purify water, basic tools, and something for self-defense.

My BOB is pretty much a hobo bag. Yes, with the exception of an "in case of emergency" add on bag with cash and important info, it pretty much is the same bag I use to go hiking and camping with. However my gear is very similar to ultra light gear an AT thru hiker would use. It basically has everything that someone who was traveling on foot and sleeping outside would need.

Is a sleeping pad and bag only useful in the woods? What about sleeping in your car, or on a neighbor's living room floor, or in a shelter, or in the ruins of your city? A small camp stove and some mountain house meals is still good on the balcony of a hotel. Speak about that, do you have enough cash for the hotel, essentials and to eat out everyday while you wait a 2 weeks for the insurance company to cut you a check for your destroyed home? Is a bushcraft knife worthless, when you are sleeping in your car, when someone is trapped under debris, or when walking thru your town and the looting starts?

Its real simple, in a lightweight package cover yourself for 3 days. Anything that is irrelevant to the situation, and a burden to you can be left behind or abandoned at any time. The problem is when the SHTF finding items that are RELEVANT to your survival becomes real difficult, real quick.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
While I totally agree with you that some BOB gear selection is half-ass , you do need to look at your BOB gear selection this way; "I am evacuating my home, and I and grabbing this bag, I need everything in this bag to cover me for at least 3 days while I am HOMELESS."

You don't know what is going to happen when the SHTF and you grab that BOB. I can tell you this much however if your "bugout bag has a few pairs of clothes, cash, chargers, flash drive with important docs, a couple books and a bottle of water and some trail mix bars...that's about it. It's no more than an extended overnight bag" , and the disaster/evacuation is something more then a short drive to a hotel or your parents house, you are pretty much FUBUR. Your kit would have been near useless walking out of New Orleans post Katrina, or The Japanese city of Fukushima post 2011 earthquake/tsunami, In the Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan and so on.
I agree with some of this. I keep clothes and a sleeping bag/mat in ym car, because sometimes I get a little drinky and need to crash on a floor. In the scenarios you mentioned, those would come in handy. I keep a CCW too, which sort of alleviates the need for a defensive knife. I don't keep them in a specific BOB. Sure, short term cash is important, but I'm not going to keep two weeks food and hotel (going by max rates, that could be $2000 or more) in hard cash while I wait for insurance to pay out. I'll live in my car, with a friend or relative, or put it on my credit card. I'm sure as hell not sleeping outside if I have any (and I mean ANY) other option. I don't see a bushcraft knife being much use to rescue someone from a vehicle. There are rescue tools for that, some of which are in my car and frankly there's nothing you can do with a bushcraft knife that I can't do with a pocketknife or the rescue tool on my keychain. That ASEK is cool, but you're not going to cut the car away from a trapped victim.

So yeah, some outdoors stuff is great. I have a little one man tent that will keep bugs off, give a little privacy, and some clothes and whatnot to help if I'm stuck in a shelter when Hurricane HowTheFuckDidItGetHere or Tornado WeDon'tNameTornadosWhyDoesThisOneHaveAName wrecks my place. Still, i'd be on the lookout for soemwhere to stay that isn't open air, even if it's the Superdome or my cousin's place in Memphis (we don't get along) while i wait for the insurance company to get it together. Not much call for firestarting gear, emergency signalling, or a hammock there.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3603
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:40 pm

This is why there is often so much camping gear

Image

Image

This is what refugee camps look like.

Even in a more localized disasters, one might end up camping in backyards. As hotels fill fast, and emergency shelters fill up too. It might be safer even to rent a patch of ground in someone's back yard than to submit yourself to a FEMA shelter.

Also when bugging out, if your not able to use a vehicle due to clogged roads. What used to be a few hour drive can become days of travel on foot especially if your not used to foot travel. With other refugees on the route with you, you will likely not have the luxury of hotels or bed and breakfasts. So again the camping gear is likely a choice you will need for resting.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:43 pm

ineffableone wrote:This is why there is often so much camping gear

Image

Image

This is what refugee camps look like.

Even in a more localized disasters, one might end up camping in backyards. As hotels fill fast, and emergency shelters fill up too. It might be safer even to rent a patch of ground in someone's back yard than to submit yourself to a FEMA shelter.

Also when bugging out, if your not able to use a vehicle due to clogged roads. What used to be a few hour drive can become days of travel on foot especially if your not used to foot travel. With other refugees on the route with you, you will likely not have the luxury of hotels or bed and breakfasts. So again the camping gear is likely a choice you will need for resting.
I don't live in Africa...
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
emclean
* * * * *
Posts: 1581
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by emclean » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:47 pm

because it makes me feel better to carry it, and i think i might want it.

the same reason that everything is in my GHB, and BOB.

User avatar
livinitup
* *
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by livinitup » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:01 pm

emclean wrote:because it makes me feel better to carry it
I guess this is the best explanation for this. To each their own I guess.

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3603
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
ineffableone wrote:This is why there is often so much camping gear

Image

Image

This is what refugee camps look like.

Even in a more localized disasters, one might end up camping in backyards. As hotels fill fast, and emergency shelters fill up too. It might be safer even to rent a patch of ground in someone's back yard than to submit yourself to a FEMA shelter.

Also when bugging out, if your not able to use a vehicle due to clogged roads. What used to be a few hour drive can become days of travel on foot especially if your not used to foot travel. With other refugees on the route with you, you will likely not have the luxury of hotels or bed and breakfasts. So again the camping gear is likely a choice you will need for resting.
I don't live in Africa...
OK if you want the US version

From Katrina

Image

Image

However the type refugee camps you see of other countries are quite possible in the US. It only takes enough of a disaster for it to happen. And honestly those camps look a lot better than being stuck with just a cot in a stadium.
Last edited by ineffableone on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
Mikeyboy
* * * * *
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
So yeah, some outdoors stuff is great. I have a little one man tent that will keep bugs off, give a little privacy, and some clothes and whatnot to help if I'm stuck in a shelter when Hurricane HowTheFuckDidItGetHere or Tornado WeDon'tNameTornadosWhyDoesThisOneHaveAName wrecks my place. Still, i'd be on the lookout for soemwhere to stay that isn't open air, even if it's the Superdome or my cousin's place in Memphis (we don't get along) while i wait for the insurance company to get it together. Not much call for firestarting gear, emergency signalling, or a hammock there.

But what if there is house to stay in, no shelter to go to, no car to sleep in or to use to drive out of your situation. That is why FEMA and DHS want Americans to have at supplies to last you least 72 hours, because it will take that long for them to get there, for shelters to be set up, or the roads to be cleared enough for them to come in our you to get out. Instead of sleeping out in the open, isn't it better to have a one man tent, or hammock with a campfire going while you wait.

Even better still, since I own my home, I like to have the option to be on site at my home while I clean up, fix and rebuild. It saves money, and I can personally protect my property from looters and damage from the elements.

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by Mikeyboy on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:18 pm

ineffableone wrote: OK if you want the US version

From Katrina

Image

Image

However the type refugee camps you see of other countries are quite possible in the US. It only takes enough of a disaster for it to happen.
Not a lot of tents in that. The outside one is people waiting to get in, the inside one is people on cots that were provided by FEMA. Others used trailers or RVs. Like I said, "tent" goes below "sleeping in a church pew/homeless shelter" in terms of where I'd stay if something like that hits. I don't think third world tent cities are likely in the US, given the budget that FEMA and other relief agencies have here.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Mikeyboy
* * * * *
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Damn ZS and there limit on pic size. I have tons of US "tent city" pics

Post Joplin Tornado
http://www.koamtv.com/story/14908084/to ... -of-joplin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
Image

Post 2011 Cordova Tornado
http://mountaineagle.com/bookmark/21112 ... bile-homes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

Moore Oklahoma
http://www.fema.gov/ar/media-library/as ... ages/71101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Katrina tent dwellers IN the hallways of the superdome

Image

and outside tent dweller in Mississippi who waited over 5 weeks for assistance.
Image
http://risingfromruin.msnbc.com/2005/10 ... eanet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Mikeyboy on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1069
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Ontario, CAN
Contact:

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Here's a perspective from BullOnParade that you might not have considered from the recent ice storm:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... n#p2474772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: For an idea of the scope of this storm, check this out too:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=110753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ask yourself "Why would I ever bug-Out?" and follow that up with "What if my BOL loses power while I'm bugged-out? What if whatever caused me to bug-out effects my BOL as well? What if I get stuck along the way to my BOL?" This recent ice storm was an excellent example of how a location that might escape the worst of the initial storm can still be effected by the aftermath, and moving from one location to another can be something very far from simple. We invited family to bug-out to our house, then we lost power too a few days later...

I used my camping gear at home during the recent ice storm, and our camping gear came in very handy when our vehicle broke down after a family camping trip once upon a time, and we ended up at a motel unexpectedly. That's why my personal and family bug-out gear is packed in two parts:

-an overnight bag for a stay at a hotel/friend's/family, including change of clothes, toiletries, cash, etc.
-camping gear including shelter, water, fire, food, etc.
Last edited by bacpacjac on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

User avatar
Mikeyboy
* * * * *
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:44 pm

bacpacjac wrote:Here's a perspective from BullOnParade that you might not have considered from the recent ice storm:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... n#p2474772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ask yourself "Why would I ever bug-Out?" and follow that up with "What if my BOL loses power while I'm bugged-out? What if whatever caused me to bug-out effects my BOL as well? What if I get stuck along the way to my BOL?" This recent ice storm was an excellent example of how a location that might escape the worst of the initial storm can still be effected by the aftermath. We invited family to bug-out to our house, but we lost power too, a few days later...

I used my camping gear at home during the recent ice storm, and our camping gear came in very handy when our vehicle broke down after a family camping trip once upon a time, and we ended up at a motel unexpectedly. That's why my personal and family bug-out gear is packed in two parts:

-an overnight bag for a stay at a hotel/friend's/family, including change of clothes, toiletries, cash, etc.
-camping gear including shelter, water, fire, food, etc.
That is very true. My BOB is still good for bugging in, when the utilities go out. If you have an electric range and microwave, when the power goes out you can still cook with a camp stove. Those headlamps and lanterns are still helpful when the power goes out. Same with the sleeping bags for extra warmth when the heat is out.

Like I mentioned before, my local REI in the suburbs of Philly was getting sold out of lanterns, sleeping bags, camp stoves and fuel, from people almost 100 miles away in NYC and northern NJ after Hurricane Sandy. I bet they had plenty of cash and cell phone chargers though.

User avatar
livinitup
* *
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by livinitup » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:10 pm

I like bacpacjac's idea of having separate kits... .i essentially do the same, camping/hunting gear is separate from my BOB/72hour bag.
Camping gear might take an extra 5 minutes to gather up but that's acceptable imo.

Norcalbowhunter
*
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Norcalbowhunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:15 pm

You're given reasons as to why people carry camping gear in their bobs and it seems like you just want to dispute it all.

I have a EDC pack in my car that has things I would need in case my car breaks down and I had to walk to a town or something. I have a pack for if my house catches on fire and I need to get out and I need important documents and money. I have a BoB in case a natural disater happens and I am homeless then I have food, water and something to sleep in. I also have a INCH pack in case a virus pandemic happens, be it from zombies or just the bird flu and I end up having to flee into the woods with my guns and enough gear to survive for an extended period of time. These are my plans, these are WHY I have wilderness gear in some of my packs.

And regardless on what part of the forums we are in, sorry I just reply to active topics, you're still on the zombie squad forums where people prepare and talk about zombie pandemics even if we don't believe it will ever happen. That being said people have explained why they have it, so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because it doesn't seem to be a good enough reason for you. An age old motto I live by, it's better to have something and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked
- Psalm 82:4

User avatar
livinitup
* *
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by livinitup » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Norcalbowhunter wrote:You're given reasons as to why people carry camping gear in their bobs and it seems like you just want to dispute it all.

I have a EDC pack in my car that has things I would need in case my car breaks down and I had to walk to a town or something. I have a pack for if my house catches on fire and I need to get out and I need important documents and money. I have a BoB in case a natural disater happens and I am homeless then I have food, water and something to sleep in. I also have a INCH pack in case a virus pandemic happens, be it from zombies or just the bird flu and I end up having to flee into the woods with my guns and enough gear to survive for an extended period of time. These are my plans, these are WHY I have wilderness gear in some of my packs.

And regardless on what part of the forums we are in, sorry I just reply to active topics, you're still on the zombie squad forums where people prepare and talk about zombie pandemics even if we don't believe it will ever happen. That being said people have explained why they have it, so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because it doesn't seem to be a good enough reason for you. An age old motto I live by, it's better to have something and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
just asking a question, didnt give any requirements as for reasons.

Norcalbowhunter
*
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by Norcalbowhunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Sorry that was more for Doctorr Fabulous who has been disproving every reason he's been given :P I thought he was the OP, my bad.
Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked
- Psalm 82:4

User avatar
offcamber
* * * * *
Posts: 1964
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: West By God Virginia

Re: Please explain the use of wilderness gear in a BOB

Post by offcamber » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:08 pm

Hell, during the derecho that wiped out my property/road a while back I grabbed my bag walked 15 feet to the backyard and pitched a tent and tarp.. big bug-out right? Well, it was cooler to sleep outside than it was in the house..

It also tested ALL of my BIL and bug-out preps as well. And after 26 days with no power and 6 weeks without phone/internet I came out of it with a totally different perspective.

It sucked, and it was miserable, but I felt good about not having to run out to the National Guard guys at the firestation for MRE's every couple of days.

To not include wilderness survival stuff, means you feel like you might not need it.. and some folks will read your post and might not even purchase it, which is even worse.

My view on prepping may be different I guess.. I just want to be self sufficient.

If carrying some survival gear with me helps me achieve this, so be it.
Last edited by offcamber on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”