It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: offcamber's INCH
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:35 pm 

Offcamber, I have to thank you for doing this thread. It has gotten me off my ass and back into my INCH to refine it more. I have shed about 12 lbs out of mine and will likely find a bit more to lower the weight further.

So thanks for the inspiration.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:08 pm 

ineffableone wrote:
Offcamber, I have to thank you for doing this thread. It has gotten me off my ass and back into my INCH to refine it more. I have shed about 12 lbs out of mine and will likely find a bit more to lower the weight further.

What's the weight of yours, ineffableone? If I may ask.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:58 pm 

moab wrote:
ineffableone wrote:

What's the weight of yours, ineffableone? If I may ask.

68 lbs now, down from 80 lbs. At one point it was actually right about 90 lbs when I was using an ILBE, when I switched over to the Crew Cab I dropped it down to 80 lbs. 68 is much better, but I would like to try and get it even lower, if I can without giving up too much.

Though I still have a lot of food in there. And while I might lessen it I sort of like having a good food supply. If I am INCHing I suspect food might be a bit hard to come by.

Funny thing is even though I lowered the weight, I actually added some new gear and gear I had and hadn't put in before.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:51 am 

for concealing your ar, are we talking only when it is secured on the pack only?

Another shemagh just wrapped around the protruding barrel and tucked in along the front will conceal it. Those things come in handy, now you have an excuse to carry an extra.

or if we are talking about concealing it in this set up, probably could make it work just as good. Might need a small bungee or a loop of paracord with a keeper to tighten it as its semi loose in this carry method.

btw i just added those awesome gun bearers to my wishlist folder in my browser i want them so bad!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 pm 

What protection do you have in case of multiple nuclear power plant meltdowns?

Or do you think that all nuclear power plants (and chemical plants) will just continue to operate normally in an INCH scenario?

Even if you shut down a nuclear power plant you have to actively cool the rods for some years.

Even in my BOB I carry a small geiger counter (to detect hot spots), iodine prophylaxis and at least some FFP 3 dusk masks (also useable in case of a pandemic or just "dust/ash in the air")

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:02 pm 

Cephalotus wrote:
What protection do you have in case of multiple nuclear power plant meltdowns?

My plan is to duck and cover while munching on some potassium iodide tabs and waving around my grandpas old yellow Civil Defense Geiger counter and helmet from the 50's. :D

Seriously though, while I do actually have those things at the homestead lol, and we all have our reasons for prepping, a full blown PAW scenario and accompanying nuclear meltdowns aren't really on my prep radar at this point.

The suggestions are appreciated though, especially the hand held geiger counter. That's pretty cool. Thanks!

Hectic Hardwear - Morale Patches
moralepatches.com
Follow on facebook

offcamber's INCH Bag thread

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:55 am 

offcamber wrote:
Seriously though, while I do actually have those things at the homestead lol, and we all have our reasons for prepping, a full blown PAW scenario and accompanying nuclear meltdowns aren't really on my prep radar at this point.

This is generally something that keeps me a bit curious. You guys are planning to run to the woods and engage in gunfights, because something really bad happened nationwide/worldwide and there is nowhere else to go, but on the other hand you rely on the assumption, that your biological research, chemical and especially nuclear facilities just continue to work as if nothing has happened to the plants, infrastructure, supply channels and the workers.

The most threatening reactor in Fukushima has been #4, the one that had already been shut down before the earthquake. Even three years later you still can't just leave this things alone, because without babying those they sooner or later will boil the water in the spent fuel pit and if the water evaporates the rods will begin to melt/burn and radioactive inventory will get into the air.

After that wind and rain will transport it and it would be a bad and sad thing if you just happen to drink the wrong water in that case...

This is a map that shows a risk "analysis" of radioactive contamination from fallout without a SHTF scenario. Wind and rain are able to transport the stuff over quite some time, at least Cs137 which is shown here as an example/indicator.

Nuclear power plants are the most obvious, but there are also threats of chemical or biological contamination. Would be quite a pity if your are unable to cross an area because you are unprotected. Do your really think this is so unrealistic in a SHTF scenario where a 72h BOB is not enough and only an INCH will do it?

Quote:
The suggestions are appreciated though, especially the hand held geiger counter. That's pretty cool. Thanks!

I have a Soeks 01M, made in Russia. Not very accurate, but it doesn't need to be for my needs. Lightweight, but also a battery eater. For continous operation I would recommend something else because of the battery consumption.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:23 am 

Cephalotus wrote:
This is generally something that keeps me a bit curious. You guys are planning to run to the woods and engage in gunfights, because something really bad happened nationwide/worldwide and there is nowhere else to go, but on the other hand you rely on the assumption, that your biological research, chemical and especially nuclear facilities just continue to work as if nothing has happened to the plants, infrastructure, supply channels and the workers.

I would say you haven't been paying too much attention to what most of the people on ZS actually say.

Most plan to bug in vs bugging out to the woods and get in gun fights. Even most who do have plans to head to the woods typically are heading to BOL which they own and have stocked with supplies. The guns are more for hunting and if worst case scenario shows up sure defend themselves, but they aren't planning gun fights.

As for complete melt downs. Again if you had been paying attention to the majority of ZS, most do not actually believe there will be a complete collapse. Some think there could be local disasters, such as Katrina. Others maybe regional disasters like the New Madrid fault line going off. These sorts of things tend to be less of a worry for these 2ndary problems coming out of them. Though an earthquake could cause issue with a nuke power plant or chemical plant, but if the rest of the world is still going they will out of self interest stop that problem at least.

Only leaving the full nation or world wide effecting scenarios of pandemics and EMP grid wipe or similar scenarios as maybe needing to worry about 2ndary issues like reactor melt downs or chemical plants releasing toxins.

You are right though that if humanity completely collapses enough, we might have to worry about those things if there is anyone left to worry about it. In the case of such huge events, I would hope the folks working at those places do know how and actually do take steps to effectively neutralize the problems.

But as Offchamber writes.
offcamber wrote:
a full blown PAW scenario and accompanying nuclear meltdowns aren't really on my prep radar at this point.

Because you know what, the reality is if you don't have a nice safe long term bunker to stay in. Well your odds are just pure luck for surviving in such a scenario. Having a radiation detector and a bit of radiation pills will not really be much help. While some folks can afford radiation proof bunkers, most of us can't. So we prep for more likely events rather than the scary but not so likely event of all reactors melting down and all of society collapsing.

*edit to add,
My plan, though if there is a full collapse. Because yes I have thought about it, is to head to the southern hemisphere as fast as I can. Most of the big offenders are in the Northern Hemisphere. So South of the equator as fast as I can go would be my #1 plan of action in that scenario.

*edit to add again,
Cephalotus if you want to keep discussing this thought. How about start a thread about the subject, instead of taking this thread about someone's pack off topic too far?

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:12 am 

ineffableone wrote:
I would say you haven't been paying too much attention to what most of the people on ZS actually say.

Most plan to bug in vs bugging out to the woods and get in gun fights. Even most who do have plans to head to the woods typically are heading to BOL which they own and have stocked with supplies. ....most do not actually believe there will be a complete collapse...

This thread is about a full load INCH bag, not about "bugging in" or local disasters or bug out locations, isn't it?

I just wanted to make one suggestion, what may occur in such a SHTF event, where you are heading for a long term staying "in the woods". It wasn't my intention to start an off topic discussion.

It's a nice bag, If I offended anyone I want to apologize...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:10 am 

Cephalotus wrote:
ineffableone wrote:

Most plan to bug in vs bugging out to the woods and get in gun fights. Even most who do have plans to head to the woods typically are heading to BOL which they own and have stocked with supplies. ....most do not actually believe there will be a complete collapse...

This thread is about a full load INCH bag, not about "bugging in" or local disasters or bug out locations, isn't it?

I just wanted to make one suggestion, what may occur in such a SHTF event, where you are heading for a long term staying "in the woods". It wasn't my intention to start an off topic discussion.

It's a nice bag, If I offended anyone I want to apologize...

No need to apologize, you haven't offended anybody. Its actually a good point of discussion.

In the end, I am a gear whore.. I like the idea of being prepped for multiple scenarios, regardless of if I think they will actually happen or not. Its kind of like a hobby to me. This post was more about the bag and its contents, similar to other threads of this type here on the board vs a particular prepping philosophy.

I've been on the board here for a while, so I just kinda assumed most folks have read some of my other stuff..

To clarify, I plan on bugging in.. period. My wife and I moved to rural WV many years ago and have been taking a go at the homesteading lifestyle on a decent size farm.. we raise rabbits, bees, ducks, chickens, sheep, and have a cow for dairy etc.. we have a large fenced garden. We hunt during seasons including bow, muzzle loader, and rifle.

Most of my stuff serves multiple purposes.. for example, I enjoy backpacking so my bag and its contents are really geared towards that.. I also enjoy shooting sports.. mix the two and throw in some other "prep" goodies and you have my INCH, lol.

And you are correct, most folks do themselves a disservice by not studying local nuclear and chemical facilities and how they impact their AO.

In my case, our state has no nuclear reactors, nor does the neighboring state of Kentucky so that's a bonus as far as prevailing winds go. If a local event forces me out though, I do have multiple "somewhere elses "to go.

During a nuclear a nuclear strike we are pretty much screwed as my home is just outside the blast zone of a likely targeted military asset. That and any major strikes on the midwest will funnel fallout right through WV. The world at this point is pretty much f*cked if such a scenario plays out, bugging out to my BOL or pounding sand isn't really going to help much.

moralepatches.com
Follow on facebook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:06 pm 

offcamber wrote:
Cephalotus wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
In the end, I am a gear whore.. I like the idea of being prepped for multiple scenarios, regardless of if I think they will actually happen or not. Its kind of like a hobby to me.

Very well put offcamber. I'm in the same boat. And hope to move soon to rural WA state to start what you have - a homestead. Chickens and pigs and goats oh my! ;) Can't wait to get out of the city and back to where I came from.

I searched high and low for the ECWCS parka in multicam 3xl. I don't think they made them. I think 2xl is as large as they go. And to fit all my other clothing under the parka I really need the 3xl. So I'm stuck with the Truspec Gen II multicam parka for now. It's a bit bulkier but not as bulky as I thought. I got my new pack yesterday and was loading stuff in it. And discovered I can pack my ECWCS parka down to about the size of a nalgene. Which isn't to bad. PRobably twice the size and weight of yours. But concessions have to be made. Someday someone will make one in my size in a light weight goretex.

Currently I'm having a hard time figuring out where to carry my nalgene and where to mount my rifle on the outside of my pack. The pack is large enough (80L) to fit the rifle inside. So I at least have that for concealed carry. But I would like to be able to mount it on the outside of my pack. Where did you get that rifle sling thing for the outside of your rig? Did you ever run across anything else like it? Short of having some molle sewn onto this new pack I'm at a loss. And the waistbelt is not nalgene carrier friendly. I do have a small lighter weight chest rig that will hold a nalgene carrier. But I really want to switch up to an HPG kit bag. But I know they won't hold a full size nalgene.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:08 pm 

i think he said he was suing this:
http://store.kifaru.net/gun-bearers-p30.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:10 pm 

moab wrote:
Where did you get that rifle sling thing for the outside of your rig? Did you ever run across anything else like it? Short of having some molle sewn onto this new pack I'm at a loss.

Hey moab, not sure which rifle carrier you were referencing, but the strong side carry/quick release setup is available from Kifaru for a non MOLLE/PALS waistband.

Its called the universal gun bearer (scroll down in link for description).

I was going to try to explain how it works but this video shows it much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU6_wacglxw

hope this helps!

moralepatches.com
Follow on facebook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:11 pm 

Ryodan wrote:
i think he said he was suing this:

Lol, Ryodan nailed it.

moralepatches.com
Follow on facebook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:11 am 

Very impressive! I'm gonna use this thread for inspiration for my gear revamp. :)

If I were to nitpick, though, I'd recommend eyepro/earpro and light work/shooting gloves. I always pack several pairs of gloves (admittedly, that might be because of the climate here).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:32 pm 

For anyone in the future. I found the 3xl government issue goretex in multicam on ebay. It's UK issue stuff. Very similar pattern to our multicam. Just slightly different. And low and behold they had my size!

http://stores.ebay.com/queens-supplies? ... 7675.l2563

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:35 am 

Offcamber, where did ya get the fitted multicam ball cap & what brand is it? Links if ya got em? Tyvm

And one man in his time plays many parts." - William Shakespeare

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:10 pm 

On Point wrote:
Offcamber, where did ya get the fitted multicam ball cap & what brand is it? Links if ya got em? Tyvm

Its made by Grey Ghost Gear (called the Lightweight Operator Hat), unfortunately they have been out of stock (except for size medium) for a couple months now.

I called them a week or so ago to see if they would be making more soon, and they said they hoped to and include more color options.

They fit and wear really well.

pic and linky:

http://www.greyghostgear.com/accessories/lightweight-operator-hat-3

moralepatches.com
Follow on facebook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:38 pm 

Thanks man, much appreciated.

And one man in his time plays many parts." - William Shakespeare

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:00 pm 

!!!!!!!like!!!!

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:54 pm 

offcamber wrote:
On Point wrote:

Its made by Grey Ghost Gear (called the Lightweight Operator Hat), unfortunately they have been out of stock (except for size medium) for a couple months now.

I called them a week or so ago to see if they would be making more soon, and they said they hoped to and include more color options.

They fit and wear really well.

pic and linky:

http://www.greyghostgear.com/accessories/lightweight-operator-hat-3

I really like that hat too. If anyone sees them come back with full size ranges. Post something in this thread. I'd be interested in picking one up. Mine has that stupid stiff part in the front.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:44 am 

Some of these suggestions might have been made already; I didn’t read every post. Most of my suggestions will relate to cutting weight; you said that is an ongoing effort.

First question is: is the soft shell jacket you’re wearing part of the kit as well?

Ditch the strobe. Your headlamp probably has a strobe function, and if using said function is not desirable I carry an Brite Strike APALS disposable LED light, weighs nothing fits anywhere (maybe not as bright). I think you might even be better served with a pop flare.

Replace you medical tape with leukotape, can be used as medical tape but has better adhesion, can be used to cover raw, blistered, otherwise damaged skin (acts as 2nd skin). Just a superior product. Won’t travel without it.

Little light on the medical supplies in my opinion but to each his own. I like the SWAT T tourniquet. Maybe light, certainly smaller than the one you have, and can more readily be used in conjunction with guaze or Quickclot as a pressure bandage. Unfortunately it takes two hands to apply as a trade off. Some hemostatic agent would be nice as well. Some might think I’m a little light on medical supplies as well. I don’t carry items to deal with tension hemo/pneumothorax and airway blockages because I have just enough training to know that those are exceedingly difficult/dangerous operations to perform in the field with a trained individual at your disposal. That being said there are things you should have that you can use at any level of training. Ditch the cold compress; I know how much they weigh.

Golf pencil and knead able eraser is good to have with your nav kit. Not going to sketch out a field map with a sharpie.

Ditch the widgie bar. They’re cool…but knee replacement surgery is not.

NDUR survival straws are the stuf.

I don’t know if ditching the handsaw was such a good idea. Look at the small Opinel hand saw: $30, 3.5oz.

You could have a light fixed blade if push comes to shove.

Ditch the pot handle, you have a multitool.

Ditch the smaller multitool for the Opinel saw. Get rid of the back up knife, you have a multitool.

Add one of those German made magnesium pencil sharpeners to your nav kit or your fire kit. They weigh nothing, you can sharpen your golf pencil, you can make pencil shaving like tinder with pencil width sticks for fire starting and you can scrape off some magnesium to get a fire going.

Ditch the Vaseline, replace with Neosporin.

Get rid of the fleece jacket and get a synthetic fill or down jacket. More warmth for the weight. The wool sweater can handle anything that fleece jacket does or get rid of the wool sweater, keep the fleece jacket and get the puffy jacket. The puffy jacket is going to be a little more wind and water resistant due the nylon shell and the DWR (mountain hardwear, sierra designs, big anges, OTTE). Better than that would be to replace the fleece jacket with a hooded poncho liner because it could be used as a moderate weather sleeping bag as well.

Sorry but I think you should keep the M65. If its NYCO then it should be fairly campfire safe to wear over layers that aren’t. Gonna be more briar proof than an expensive Goretex jacket too. I would never leave long term without my windproof smock…absolutely essential kit. I’ve melted enough $300 jackets to know. I would get rid of the Goretex top way before I got rid of the M65, especially since you have a poncho. A Goretex jacket is used for that rare set of circumstances where it is both raining and cold or your around a lot of wet snow. In my AO if it rains in the summer its welcomed (100 degrees outside) or its snowing (10 degrees) and there’s no moisture and a NYCO jacket with a decent DWR will handle that and be far more breathable.

Ditch war belt. You gotta go into town take your CCW rig.

I also get a vacuum sealer. Will be the most used appliance in your whole house. I use it to shore up some packaging on items that just don’t survive living in a pack. Or I can put together small medical kits that fit into pockets that sort of thing.

Can’t think of anything else right now. Otherwise awesome kit. Bravo staying in good enough shape to carry it all. I am doing everything I can to cut weight. Mobility is far more important to me than capability.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:38 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Very impressive inch kit. Looks pretty friggin heavy but seems like you've considered what to shed incase you need to travel lighter.
As One said the first aid kit seems a little lacking on some otc meds. I would add some migraine type medicine. Basically acetaminophen aspirin anf caffeine. Pain relief and fever reducer.
Also add some antihistamines and antidiarheals.

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:05 am 

A late reply to this thread, and my apologies if I'm resurrecting anything here -
My thoughts are that the IFAK is missing..... Super Glue. (I didn't see it in the listing)
I keep several unopened tubes in a plastic toothbrush holder (the two piece type for traveling). The little case is strong enough to prevent accidental crushing. The SG is good for mostly closing deep cuts [gotta leave a drainage hole], closing up small cuts, fixing holes in things, etc.

For the saw, at Home Depot, I picked up a little folding (locking) saw that uses sawzall blades. You could easily carry a pruning or demo blade and a carbide blade and have 99% of all sawing needs covered. You can also sharpen the spine of a sawzall blade to have a large fixed blade for butchering if you plan on taking larger game.

Hope this isn't too late of an addition.

ETA: link to saw: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-6-in-Folding-Jab-Saw-48-22-0305/202525764

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next