It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:24 pm 

My name is Patrick and I'm a Pack-aholic! I blame ZS though. So I must be incurable. ;)

It seems like I've been posting packs about once every other day here lately. And here is my latest entry. I stumbled upon this while looking at multicam stuff in Google Images.

It's the Arc'teryx Khyber 80 Multicam. I love this pack because it comes in multicam, is large (80L), BUT is very lightweight. 4.87lbs to be exact. That's right down there with other commercial packs even smaller in size.

But, amazingly, it comes in multicam. Not the typical heavy cordura multicam (That ends you up with a pack weighing 10lbs or more.) but in a lighter weight nylon type fabric. I can't find the actual name of the material but it has to be light weight to bring this pack in at such a low weight level. I only wish they would start making clothing out of this stuff. Like light weight hiking pants in multicam. Currently you can only find Crye's 65/35 polycotton. Which are cotton number one. And are bulky and heavy number two. But I digress...

I really like how everything on the pack - from buckles, to straps, to cables - are small and lightweight. But not to small. And very rugged looking. It really looks like they tried to build a large rucksack for special forces with ounces in mind. (Which is probably what they did.) The shoulder straps and waistbelt look just as rugged as any you'd find on a typical commercial rucksack. But you can tell even from the pics that the strapping material is straight up tough. Without it being heavy weight nylon webbing type. It almost looks like cut strips of tarp material. But in multicam. And that's the big deal with this pack. It's a really lightweight hiking pack - but in multicam. Thus far I have not seen that combination in today's backpack market.

But at $730 it's priced out of my market. Maybe one day we'll see this fabric used elsewhere and the price will come down.

Arc'teryx Khyber 80 Multicam

Large, lightweight 80 litre expedition pack built with the new C2 composite construction suspension system.

Clean design, significant features. Fast and light top loading patrol pack has streamlined cable and hose management and hydration ports to remain neat and compact. The C2 composite construction suspension system drastically reduces weight to optimize weight-to- carry ratio and bears load close to the body, conserving energy. Dual density shoulder straps distribute weight over a broad, rigid surface for increased comfort. Removable aluminum stays can be custom shaped. Essential features include removable top lid with hydration ports, external compression shelf and multiple internal and external lash tabs and daisy chains for versatile compartmentalization options. Wide shape minimizes silhouette, adds mobility while on patrol.

Technical Features
Durable
Supportive construction
Construction
Twin removable aluminum stays for durable support
Top and side grab handles
Pack Pocket Configuration
Large volume top pocket with key clip
Main compartment pocket
Pack Hydration
Hydration bladder clip
HydroPort™ openings on top of shoulders and on side pockets
Micro-webbing hydration hose loops
Pack Suspension Configuration
Anatomically shaped shoulder straps and hipbelt
Adjustable, removable sternum strap
Removable thermoformed hipbelt can be turned and clipped around main compartment for less bulk during transportation
Quick-release shoulder strap buckles
Padded, contoured shoulder straps
Rigid composite backpanel
Two removable aluminum stays can be custom shaped
Arc'teryx C² (Composite Construction) suspension system
Load level adjusters
Pack Loading & Closure Configuration
Extendable collar with drawcord for additional capacity
Top loading lid closure with two buckles to secure pack contents
Large, webbing pull-tabs for quick and easy, glove-friendly access
Corded zipper pull tabs
Pack Lid Configuration
Removable, quick-release top lid
HydroPort™ opening in lid
Pack Compression Strap Configuration
Four compression straps - two on each side
Modular, stowable bungee compression system
External compression shelf
Pack Attachment Configuration
Tabs for adding shock/ static compression cord
Micro daisy chains
Front attachment loops
Internal daisy chains
LEAF Features
Hydration and Comm ports allowing hydro tube, mikes and cords to be routed to either shoulder strap

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:27 pm 

Hey i'm a Pack-aholic too, is there a class we can go to?

Kifaru AG2 w/ AG frame
Kifaru AG1
Kifaru Pointman G2
Kifaru EMR II w/ 26 Duplex Frame (on order coming soon)
USMC FILBE Assault Pack
Tactical Tailor Assault Pack
Blackhawk STOMP 2 Pack (Medical Pack)
LBT Medical Pack
Blackwater Assault Pack
Blackhawk Hydrastorm
Camelbak Motherlode
REI XT85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm 

welpro222 wrote:
Hey i'm a Pack-aholic too, is there a class we can go to?

LOL! Ya. Your here. ;) Welcome to the club.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:23 pm 

So I'm not the only packaholic? I just bought one and have like 4 already. I just cant stop. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:37 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

<cue sappy music> I thought that I too was alone in my struggle to stop buying packs. :cry: I just cannot find that perfect pack that fits my needs. At roughly 14 different packs from small to ginormous, I found that I too, cannot stop. :shock: <cue dramatic music> And now Moab shows me this little crack nugget? Holy hell :x .....looks like I will be heading to the bank to take out a 3rd mortgage to buy yet more packs.......will this never end? <looks to the sky & fade to black> :roll: Awesome pack by the way, but damn, that is a steep assed price. :words:

I can hear you out there now...."But mister Blackdog these wispy wind shirts are not uber tough and able to fend off meteors and wolfs". I say baaaaaaaaaaaaaah, they are really useful, pack real small and harder to F up than you might think and there is always duct tape. High on my things I like list.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:49 pm 

You can get the NoZone 75, which the Khyber is based off of, for $400 (no, not in multicam).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:40 pm 

I have a good question for us Pack-aholics. When we need to bug out are you going to take one pack with gear OR stuff all your packs in your bug out bag and take all your packs? :crazy:

Kifaru AG2 w/ AG frame
Kifaru AG1
Kifaru Pointman G2
Kifaru EMR II w/ 26 Duplex Frame (on order coming soon)
USMC FILBE Assault Pack
Tactical Tailor Assault Pack
Blackhawk STOMP 2 Pack (Medical Pack)
LBT Medical Pack
Blackwater Assault Pack
Blackhawk Hydrastorm
Camelbak Motherlode
REI XT85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:45 pm 

So I got one of these smuggled into the US from CA (cheaper price). ;) With the help of a very generous ZS member. And I must say I'm impressed. It's pretty much all I wanted. It's very similar in construction to my Gregory Z65. I believe the fabric is the same thickness/strength. Except it's all multicam goodness. Same with the shoulder straps - similar to the Z65.

A couple complaints though (none really I'm just nitpicking here. and pointing out things people might like to know.):

It's not adjustable like the Z65 (a typical commercial backpack). Although it does fit my "tall" frame. I believe I come in at a 19" or 20" back measurement. And this pack just barely makes that. There is a slight adjustment of maybe one half inch one way or the other in the velcro fastener that holds the waistbelt. I do wish I had another inch or two to expand to. Might make me feel a little better about distributing that load onto my hips and off of my back/shoulders. But if your a medium to a large in pack size you'll do fine with this pack.

One thing I like about it is that it is not covered with molle which would have made it a lot heavier. It's 5lbs. Which is the sweet spot for me in a pack. As far as durability vs weight goes. But that comes at a cost. I have no place to put my nalgene bottle. Even the waist belt does not have molle or any other attachment point. And there isn't a water bottle pouch on the sides either. I may consider adding some molle webbing on each side. To accommodate my water bottle on one side and a long arm on the other. Although there is an attachment place that might work for a long arm on the very back under that bungee cord. My AK with folding stock will fit all the way inside the pack though. It's a rather long pack. Which is a good thing in my mind.

I do have a small lightweight chest rig with a water pouch on it. But I recently ordered the HPG Recon kit bag to swap that out with. And I don't think the recon kit bag will hold a full size nalgene on the front. Just to much weight. If anyone has any other ideas. I'm all ears. The only other place would be to stow it in my USGI fanny pack. But that would take up the bulk of the room in that. And I hope to carry essentials and items I want handy in the fannypack.

The camelbak hanger inside the top part of the pack (not the lid) only has one clasp. And my camelbak bladder (which I believe is GI) has two hold spots on the upper top right and left corners of it. It still holds the camelbak bladder in place. But at an angle with only one clasp and not two. It will work. But I think most bladders have two hold points. So they could have added another for standard sizing.

Some good points:

The waistbelt is filled with very stiff but moldable foam. If that makes sense. It's stiff but soft. (I know that's what she said.) ;) Very comfortable and lightweight, while still providing a very firm hold on your hips. And it's tough enough material that you can tell it's not going to go soft or wear out anytime soon.

It's multicam. Where else are you going to find a commercial weight (5lbs) pack in multicam? That doesn't weigh 10lbs. Or twice as much. Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch and I believe even Kifaru makes multicam packs. But they all weigh in at 10lbs or more. That's a deal killer for me. I don't want ultralight. But I don't need bombproof either. Even though this packs construction seems sturdier than I will ever need. It's a very tough pack.

The buckles and straps. I like that they are not the largest but not the smallest either. The strapping is very tough. Almost like billboard material if you know what that stuff is like. Feels like it will never wear out. They are only like 3/4 inch? But plenty large enough to do what they need to do. Essentially just compression straps. No need for them to be monster straps or buckles.

The top lid is completely removable. Not that I ever will. I don't think. But if you want to save even more weight you can ditch the top lid. In addition the pack has an extra 10 inches or a foot of space above the main part of the pack. There's a name for that - escapes me at the moment. So you could ditch the lid and still have more than the pack size of the lid in the upper extension of the main pack.

All in all I'm pleased. I was going to go with the Eberlestock dragonfly. But after hefting it in comparison with this. I'm sold on the Khyber 80.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:19 pm 

moab wrote:
So I got one of these.... Although it does fit my "tall" frame. I believe I come in at a 19" or 20" back measurement. And this pack just barely makes that. There is a slight adjustment of maybe one half inch one way or the other in the velcro fastener that holds the waistbelt. I do wish I had another inch or two to expand to. Might make me feel a little better about distributing that load onto my hips and off of my back/shoulders. But if your a medium to a large in pack size you'll do fine with this pack.

I was scoping this pack out as well. I like the Arc'teryx level of quality and attention to detail. I have Gregory Baltoro 75 and while it does fit great, I find the construction is a little flimsy and there are too many zippers which can be points of failure. I also have an ILBE Main, similar to the Bora 80, however had to make adjustments to get that working with my torso size. The ILBE main required removing the stitching on the first attachment point of the load stabilizers (aka lifters) to the frame. This raised them a couple inches giving me from -5º of angle to perhaps max 15º. While still under the minimum 25º recommended here it helps considerably. I also had to raise the shoulder pads almost to their max, which impacts the degree they hold themselves to the frame.

I believe my torso is somewhere from 19.75" to 20.25" in length (C7 to Iliac Creast). This usually places me between a Medium and Large in vendor frame sizes. I looked at the Khyber 80 data sheet and it is lacking any information regarding torso sizes. For your frame size how do the load lifters function for you? What is the angle they have to the shoulder straps? Also, how does the pack handle on longer hikes?

I was also considering the Altra 75. I'm a bit concerned about the load transfer disc it uses and if it may squeak and/or fail over time. Arc'teryx no longer sells the Bora and I believe the Altra is it's replacement.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:22 pm 

Patrick,

It would be amazing if you could do a video review of the Khyber 80. There is only one review of it online and it's very brief.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:28 pm 

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. My subscriptions have been messed up. I think the pack will fit you fine. I'm 6'3" and large framed. And it fits me fine.

It's a very basic pack. Not a lot of failure points. I think you will like it. I recently saw it stateside for $437. Check google. Or find a friend who can order it from CA. a lot cheaper there.

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:58 pm 

moab wrote:
I recently saw it stateside for $437. Check google. Or find a friend who can order it from CA. a lot cheaper there

I searched however only saw it for ~$600 in Coyote. The multicam is $700+. If you know of a way to get it cheaper that would be very helpful. I think $400 - $500 is an appropriate price for a pack like this, given the Nova version is near that price.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:02 pm 

atod wrote:
moab wrote:
I recently saw it stateside for $437. Check google. Or find a friend who can order it from CA. a lot cheaper there

I searched however only saw it for ~$600 in Coyote. The multicam is $700+. If you know of a way to get it cheaper that would be very helpful. I think $400 - $500 is an appropriate price for a pack like this, given the Nova version is near that price.

Thanks again

Keep an eye on http://millbrookcanada.ca/ or call them. They had seconds for like $350-$400?.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:33 pm 

Received a reply from Arc'Teryx regarding pack sizing. I suspect you must own the regular version?

---

The Khyber 80 comes in 2 sizes, Regular and Tall. Below I've listed the applicable back lengths for each one:

Regular: 18-21" Back length
Tall: 20-23" back length

There's som overlap to accommodate those that blend the size between the two, however you'll find there is a little play in the strap and hipbelt adjustment if you're still unsure on your exact sizing.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:48 pm 

atod wrote:
Received a reply from Arc'Teryx regarding pack sizing. I suspect you must own the regular version?

---

The Khyber 80 comes in 2 sizes, Regular and Tall. Below I've listed the applicable back lengths for each one:

Regular: 18-21" Back length
Tall: 20-23" back length

There's som overlap to accommodate those that blend the size between the two, however you'll find there is a little play in the strap and hipbelt adjustment if you're still unsure on your exact sizing.

Ask them about color. I don't think the multicam comes in large. But the multicam fits me. When I contacted them they confirmed that multicam would fit me and it does.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:24 pm 

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, the sale for the pack is over according to them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:46 pm 

Here's one for $500. Been up there for awhile though. You might talk him down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arc-039-teryx-L ... 6016.l4276

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:47 pm 

Found the packs onsale at LA Police Gear. They were $50 off a couple weeks back. Not sure if that sale is coming back or not.

Arc'teryx Khyber 50 Backpack $299.99
http://www.lapolicegear.com/arcteryx-kh ... kpack.html

Arc'teryx Khyber 80 Backpack - $239.99
Image[/quote]

Interesting to note that the 80 comes in Crocodile color in LONG.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Looks like they are now on Closeout - $219.99 for Coyote; $279.99 for Multicam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:46 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The new 2017 Mystery Ranch military pack catalog is out...

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/01/18/sh ... -workbook/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:35 pm 

sjolly75 wrote:
The new 2017 Mystery Ranch military pack catalog is out...

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/01/18/sh ... -workbook/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I love MR's stuff. But the difference here is that you can get a multicam 80L backpack under 5lbs give or take. Everything in that catalog in that size range is going to run 10lbs give or take. Which is what makes this Khyber 80 such a great deal. Yes the MR stuff is way over built. Not a knock on them. They are made to withstand being thrown out of trucks and helos and the like. The Khyber 80L would probably hold up just as well though. And way fewer parts to go bad. Arcteryx really did their research with special forces on this one. They needed a lightweight multicam large pack. And that's what they got. It's like a big duffle bag made out of billboard material and similar straps. Damn tough material that isn't going to tare or break anytime soon. It's just to simple. The only thing I wish is that it came sized. It's got a wide fit range though. I'm 6'3" and just expands enough to fit me. But would be nice to have the large version anyway. They obviously make it for the one color. And probably did for multicam. But are sold out at this point.

I almost pulled the trigger on the 50L version. But I already have a good sub 5lb 65L pack in dirt tan. But I'm still keeping the tab open on it at LAPG. lol. I have an addiction.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Arcteryx pack sizing chart http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/policestuff/a ... art-v1.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Although not as low as the PREVIOUS flash sale, the Khyber 80 NOW has a base of $219.99 + $50 for multicam

http://www.lapolicegear.com/arcteryx-kh ... 1460606074

and the 50 has a base of $199.99 + $40

I should not be looking at the Khybers at all. I procrastinated on the flash sale until it timed out and removed temptation. Then LAPG sent me a %10 discount code.

I'm doomed......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:02 pm 

teotwaki wrote:
Although not as low as the PREVIOUS flash sale, the Khyber 80 NOW has a base of $219.99 + $50 for multicam

http://www.lapolicegear.com/arcteryx-kh ... 1460606074

and the 50 has a base of $199.99 + $40

I should not be looking at the Khybers at all. I procrastinated on the flash sale until it timed out and removed temptation. Then LAPG sent me a %10 discount code.

I'm doomed......

Dude they left mine in my cart at the discount price of $189 weeks ago. And it's still there for the same price. Talk about temptation. lol.