Favorite piece of gear under 1 kilo (2.2 Lbs)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

solrac7
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
28 days later

Favorite piece of gear under 1 kilo (2.2 Lbs)

Post by solrac7 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:26 pm

Ok everyone, What are your personal favorite 5 pieces of gear that weigh less than a Kilo (2.2 Lbs for us Americans) ? Just curious, and please be respectful of other peoples choices. These can be EDC items, or SHTF, or anything in between, I'm just curious what everybody else likes out there! I'll go first:

1) a good flashlight (my current EDC is an older Inova single CR123 focused beam that fits nicely in my back pocket.

2) My Droid smart phone.

3) a leatherman multi-tool - I trade out between several, but my favorite is an old Supertool (before the blades had push- button locks)
4) a handgun - I have my License to carry, and feel naked without one now, even though I've never drawn it in 15 years of carry.
5) My Vargo titanium hexagon (folding) wood-stove - think of a Hobo stove that folds flat. Weighs almost nothing, and uses available twigs and such as a fuel source (maybe I should trade out #4 for a lighter instead !)

Dang ! It's hard to limit to just 5, as I am a certified gear-hog !

Cb
"I met a girl who sang the blues - asked her for some happy news - she just smiled and turned away..."

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Re: Favorite piece of gear under 1 kilo (2.2 Lbs)

Post by Flying Lead » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:11 am

Pants on-gun on I always say. You get used to it and feel you forgot your pants without it .

Five lightweight item kit would include knife, fero striker, sawyer squeeze fitler, throw away type water bottle and piece of tyvek. Should be under 2.2 lbs.
Wouldn't really consider a gun a must have. If you are trying to go somewhere or get by where you are, confrontation should be at the fartherest thing down on your to-do list.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

DrJack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most

Post by DrJack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:40 am

1. Sweetwater filter. I have them from before MSR bought them out, but I believe the construction is identical now to what it was. They pump faster, pack smaller, and are easier to use than any other microfilter I've used.

2. Dragonfly Stove. It boils water like a flamethrower, runs off anything from gasoline to diesel to lamp oil, and has a wide base to help prevent tipping over on uneven ground.

3. Hubba Hubba. (Last MSR product, I swear) I often use the footprint and fly method, but the options given with this tent as well as the bombproof construction make it a great option.

4. Marmot Fusion. Might be a little over 1 kilo, but my other products are well under so... whatever. It's 1/2 sythetic 1/2 down. Marmot thought this would be a "Best of both worlds" kind of bag it turns out it was more like "All the problems with few of the gains" kind of bag. Anyhow I spent well over 500 nights in it and it still is going strong.

5. Shurefire. Brightest most dependable flashlight I've ever owned, lightweight, tiny, clips to a rail system on your helmet or rifle. Love it.
YOGLO!

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 am

Flying Lead wrote:Pants on-gun on I always say. You get used to it and feel you forgot your pants without it .

Five lightweight item kit would include knife, fero striker, sawyer squeeze fitler, throw away type water bottle and piece of tyvek. Should be under 2.2 lbs.
Wouldn't really consider a gun a must have. If you are trying to go somewhere or get by where you are, confrontation should be at the fartherest thing down on your to-do list.
A confrontation might be the last item on your to-do list, but you didn't write the other guy's list. Don't assume that because a fellow is carrying a gun they are looking for trouble.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:42 pm

#1 - - Cheapo Uzi Tactical pen (( its cheap and ugly, and I despise anything 'tactical' - but it is by far the strongest pen body I have ever had. I used to go through sometimes 2-3 pens a week -I have had this one for almost 3 months - - just swapped out the craptastic factory cartridge with a fisher space pen refill) and write anywhere tablet.

#2 - - Kabar 1250, cold steel finn bear, BM Nimravus...which ever one lands on the belt that morning.

#3 - - Klein 10 in 1 - - - yeah, its work related but I spend most of my time at work

#4 - - Irwin 6 inch channel locks - same as above

#5 - - XDs

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:10 pm

1. Primus Omnifuel stove,
2. 2 cup stovetop coffee percolater
3. my cheapie folding knife (best knife i've owned)
4. small tarp/hootchie poncho

these four items go with me where ever i go
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:38 pm

In no particular order:

1) Spyderco Endura--yeah, there are nicer knives out there, but it's light, handy, and honestly one of the best knives I've owned.
2) Glock 19--like the OP, it may not be needed everyday, but I wouldn't want to need it and not have it! And it can be fun.
3) smartphone--I have mixed feelings about this one. I almost hate that it's so useful. I wish I didn't need to use it as much as I do, but I do, so it made the list.
4) multitool--either my Leatherman Blast or my Gerber, depending on my mood, but usually the Leatherman, these days.

Narrowing everything else down to the last one was tough, but I have to go with

5) Surefire G2--wonderfully handy little light. Not part of my EDC (actually have it on a rifle right now), but it's a good piece of gear.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:04 pm

Drop Dead Zed wrote:
Flying Lead wrote:Pants on-gun on I always say. You get used to it and feel you forgot your pants without it .

A confrontation might be the last item on your to-do list, but you didn't write the other guy's list. Don't assume that because a fellow is carrying a gun they are looking for trouble.
UH, look at the first line son. I never leave without one and I assure you after carrying for 35 years, I realize noboby walks around wanting to break bad. A few bad apples are scattered around, but are very few and far between.
As for the list, it's there, read. :roll:
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:33 pm

This is all EDC stuff that I never leave my house without:
  • Fisher Bullet pen.
  • Leatherman Wave.
  • Spyderco Persistence.
  • Smart phone. Like others in this thread, I'm a little frustrated that I have become so dependent on it. It's necessary for my job and some of those functions have crossed over into daily life. There are some apps that are really handy for school, too.
  • Keyring. In addition to keys, I have a Fox 40 Micro whistle, a pair of Sliver Gripper tweezers, and one each of the Inchworm and Centipede measuring sticks on my keyring.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Flying Lead wrote:
Drop Dead Zed wrote:

UH, look at the first line son. I never leave without one and I assure you after carrying for 35 years, I realize noboby walks around wanting to break bad. A few bad apples are scattered around, but are very few and far between.
As for the list, it's there, read. :roll:
I'm not your son.

I read it. You contradicted yourself. I addressed this:
Wouldn't really consider a gun a must have.
If it's not a "must have" why say this:
Pants on-gun on I always say.
Roll your eyes in the mirror.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:06 am

I'm guessing the chip on the shoulder didn't make the list because it weighs more than one kilo. :awesome:

Let's play nice, guys.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:32 am

Total weight or per item ?
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”