Snugpak or Recon sleeping bags?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Figs and Bacon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Glitter!

Snugpak or Recon sleeping bags?

Post by Figs and Bacon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm looking to replace the North Face sleeping bag I currently own. Compressed as tight as it'll go, its 9"x15" and takes up 2/3rds of the room in my 2300ci backpack. I'm nor looking for anything for below freezing to go in this particular backpack (cold weather camping goes into a much bigger bag as the gear is substantial bulkier or more of it.) A bit of research shows that the Recon 2 or one of the Snugpak sleeping bags would be promising. Does anyone have any experience with these? Or is there another suggestion for a bag that can be compressed down small? My budget on this is about $150.

Thanks!

smiffy

Re: Snugpak or Recon sleeping bags?

Post by smiffy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:34 pm

I use a Snugpack Softie-9 "Hawk". I am happy with it. So I've not tried the Recon model. Sorry I can't do a comparison for you.
Gundown wrote:Remember when Zombie Squad was awesome?
VictoryGin - Doubleplusgood!
AGC ATG ATC TTC TTC TAC

Figs and Bacon

Post by Figs and Bacon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:58 pm

smiffy wrote:I use a Snugpack Softie-9 "Hawk". I am happy with it. So I've not tried the Recon model. Sorry I can't do a comparison for you.
How small can you squish down your Snugpak?

Qasim

Post by Qasim » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:02 pm

I am happy with the Recon 3. Don't think its quite rated to 23F like it says, but form, durability, compressibility are good.

From what I understand, there's no actual industry standard on sleeping bag rating, am I right here?

Never used the snugpak

smiffy

Post by smiffy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Figs and Bacon wrote:
smiffy wrote:I use a Snugpack Softie-9 "Hawk". I am happy with it. So I've not tried the Recon model. Sorry I can't do a comparison for you.
How small can you squish down your Snugpak?
About 8" diameter x 10-11" long depending on how energetic I get with the tightening straps.
Gundown wrote:Remember when Zombie Squad was awesome?
VictoryGin - Doubleplusgood!
AGC ATG ATC TTC TTC TAC

EndeavourOfWill

Post by EndeavourOfWill » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:00 pm

The Recon 3 (-5C) compares to Snugpaks Softie 6 Kestrek (0/-5C) and Softie 9 Hawk (-5C/-10C)

I havethe Softie 9 and use it for Spring and fall, it's a great bag. I can't help with how much it packs down, I find it varies due to the compression sack you're using and how much effort you put in. I know guys with the same bag as me and guys with the recon 3, basically the same bag and pros and cons will just vary depending on who you ask IMO.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt

Figs and Bacon

Post by Figs and Bacon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:41 am

How small can the Patrol Bag from the MSS be squeezed?

survivalkitmag
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by survivalkitmag » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:51 am

Snugpak is a synthetic fill, so will always be bulkier than a down bag.

If you can keep it dry, a budget down bag would be better, as they compact down much smaller than synthetic fill bags.
http://www.survivalkitmag.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:41 am

I've got a Snugpak jungle bag......It blows for warmth but compresses down to about the size of a big soft ball. I've used it about 75 times and at night, surprisingly enough, the friggin jungle can get cold and is noisy as hell. Whether your in the Cambodia Vietnam area, or even the Bush now in Africa, you'd freeze your friggin coolie off if you didn't plan on having a wool hat also. I'd toss the whole thing for a poncho liner and poncho (which I also use at times). I'm moving to a small down bag, screw this synthetic shit anymore for moderate weather. I don't even care if the bag doesn't compact as much. I'd rather sleep well.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”