Boondock's Bail-Out Bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Boondock's Bail-Out Bag

Post by Boondock » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:46 pm

I finally completed making a second vehicle emergency kit, just in time for the winter. I don't do much travel on rural roads anymore, but I still think it's a good idea to have some essentials on hand. Not unlike basic preparedness for a day hike.

The contents are almost entirely made up of USGI surplus gear or pieces phased out from other kits. You'll note several high-visability items for signaling, as it's likely that I'll want to be seen. The bag is largely set up for my needs and skill set (My wife has a kit of her own design in the car she drives to work).

I tried to keep it small, in case I have to abandon my vehicle and walk to a town, truck stop or hotel. Unless absolutely necessary, I'm not stopping to camp or cook, only to hunker down in an emergency shelter. I also wanted it to fit in my lap if I'm forced onto an evacuation bus or the back of a five ton.

Everything fits inside an LAPG range bag. Here's the contents, all laid out:

And a more detailed breakdown:

Frontier filter straw and coffee filters
Post-It notes and a mini Sharpie
Princeton headlamp
Six AAA batteries in a glow-in-the dark case
USGI reflective belt
Chem light
Illinois roadmap
Soap dish containing: Button compass, USGI VS-5 signal panel, USGI signal mirror, whistle on a lanyard

USGI poncho
25 ft. of orange paracord
Thermolite 2.0 bivy bag
Large, heavy duty contractor bag

Blaze orange beanie cap
Pair of USGI Nomex gloves
Pair of USGI socks
USGI neck gaiter

Tooth paste and brush
Chapstick
Wet wipes
Hand sanitizer
Bug repellant
Ear plugs

Altoids tin fire kit with: Mini Bic, Mag block/ferro rod, PJ soaked cotton balls, jute twine
10 ft. duct tape
USGI Gerber multi-tool
Cash and change

Mylar casualty blanket
Red mini Sharpie
Latex gloves
First aid tape
Rubber band and safety pin
CPR mask
Wound cleansing wipes and ointments
Trauma shears
Large cravat bandage
Israeli bandage
Meds: Ibuprofen, aspirin, Pepto, Benadryl
Q-tips
Tampons
Gauze pads and bandaids of various sizes
Single-use thermometer

Food and water: Roughly 1,600 calories of food. Doesn't require cooking, has long expiration dates, can be consumed while on the move. The 32-oz. Nalgene bottle is stored full. There's also 16 oz. in a plastic bottle. I'd drink that before movement and use the empty as a collector, if needed.

All packed up. Total weight, with water and food, about 13 lbs. The bag fits nice under the seats in the mini-van and I'm not going to cry too long or hard if it gets stolen. I hope you enjoyed the post. Thanks for letting me share. Stay safe, gang.
Last edited by Boondock on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Re: Boondock's Bail-Out Bag

Post by Iowa_guy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Tagging this for further comments and the fact I have about 4 of those LAPG bags in a tote doing nothing.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:38 pm

I dig it! I just re-did my car bag, and it's very similar. As you said, good use of extra/phased-out primary gear. I like the visibility aspect. I keep a blaze orange cap and hunting vest in my car, as well as an old GI air-ground signal panel. Sometimes being seen is a good thing :D
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:46 am

Why for tampons? Are you female or packing for one?
You are
What you do
When it counts.

cssims

Post by cssims » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:43 am

Niblick wrote:Why for tampons? Are you female or packing for one?
First aid & fire starting are the first two that I always think of.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:22 am

I love seeing people's car bags. Maybe add some more cash? $20 isn't what it used to be. Does the bag come with a shoulder strap? I would hate to hand carry that over a longer distance. Do you plan to add clothing for different weather conditions (read: winter/summer)? Or are you usually dressed for your AOs seasons? I know my work clothes are only good for sitting in an office.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:26 am

cssims wrote:
First aid & fire starting are the first two that I always think of.
Yup. Tampons sometimes work great to plug a nosebleed after a steering wheel or airbag hit.

I also could break them apart and coat them with hand sanitizer or Chapstick as tinder.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:53 am

74 or more wrote:Maybe add some more cash? $20 isn't what it used to be ...
No, it's not, and that's a good point. But since this is a vehicle kit and thieves like to steal, I'm not adding any more. Just enough to get myself a meal, buy a soda from a vending machine or hook a Samaritan up with a little gas money for giving me a lift.

There is a shoulder strap on the bag. That's important because, in the event my son also is in the vehicle, his diaper bag is a backpack and this way I can carry both bags.

Not carrying a change of clothes. I'm a stay-at-home dad and a writer. I wear whatever I want and that's pretty much always seasonal appropriate clothing and footwear.

Good questions, everyone. Thanks for all the comments.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:05 am

Looks good. Maybe consider lithium batteries for winter.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:14 am

Woods Walker wrote:Looks good. Maybe consider lithium batteries for winter.
Great suggestion. Thanks, man.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Nice looking kit, Boondock! I want to ask about something to boil water/melt ice & snow in, but you have the filter straw, and are starting with 32 oz in that Nalgene, so it would be overkill to add more. ;)
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Figs and Bacon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Glitter!

Post by Figs and Bacon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:57 pm

I always carry one in my backpack first aid kit. I've gone camping a few times where one of the women in my group will forget one. They will really appreciate you having a spare.

Darkhunter

Post by Darkhunter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Gunshot wound (worst case scenario,) injuries, puncture wound (fall, sticks, etc..) Slip it into the wound and leave it to plug up the hole.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Figs and Bacon wrote:I've gone camping a few times where one of the women in my group will forget one. They will really appreciate you having a spare.
Yup. A gentleman tries alway to be prepared. :D

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Darkhunter wrote:
Gunshot wound (worst case scenario,) injuries, puncture wound (fall, sticks, etc..) Slip it into the wound and leave it to plug up the hole.
No. Don't. That't not what they should be used for. If it's bad enough a wound to rate more than regular/pressure dressings, it needs a chest seal. If it's not, sticking a tampon in is going to make it worse. Tampons are not sterile, they don't stop bleeding, and worst of all they will expand like a sponge and make the hole worse.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:No. Don't.
Doc's right. I can't see myself using a tampon for a GSW. That's what the Israeli bandage and cravat are for.

Darkhunter

Post by Darkhunter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Darkhunter wrote:
No. Don't. That't not what they should be used for. If it's bad enough a wound to rate more than regular/pressure dressings, it needs a chest seal. If it's not, sticking a tampon in is going to make it worse. Tampons are not sterile, they don't stop bleeding, and worst of all they will expand like a sponge and make the hole worse.
Only reason I mentioned it was because a friend of mine had one used in a pinch as an emergency before when he got shot accidentally and was in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception during a hunting accident. His wife had a tampon in her purse and he put it in the wound. His wife drove him to the hospital where they treated him for his wound.

Also because I ran across this article a bit back too: http://www.snopes.com/military/tampon.asp

Just going off of what I had been told in the past.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:36 am

Boondock wrote:
74 or more wrote:Maybe add some more cash? $20 isn't what it used to be ...
No, it's not, and that's a good point. But since this is a vehicle kit and thieves like to steal, I'm not adding any more. Just enough to get myself a meal, buy a soda from a vending machine or hook a Samaritan up with a little gas money for giving me a lift.

There is a shoulder strap on the bag. That's important because, in the event my son also is in the vehicle, his diaper bag is a backpack and this way I can carry both bags.

Not carrying a change of clothes. I'm a stay-at-home dad and a writer. I wear whatever I want and that's pretty much always seasonal appropriate clothing and footwear.

Good questions, everyone. Thanks for all the comments.

Just as a carry option this gets used a lot.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:39 am

Boondock wrote:
Doc's right. I can't see myself using a tampon for a GSW. That's what the Israeli bandage and cravat are for.

What are we talking here though. The maxi pads or the little stick things?

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:02 am

Either. I mean, if we're talking about a few years into all-out Armageddon, the medical supplies are completely gone, I guess you do what you gotta do. But that's not what this kit is for.

Also, and DocFab explained it pretty good, but tampons aren't the best for a GSW, in my limited experience. The entry holes aren't always neat. And there's the fist-sized exit wound to consider.

If you're worried about being able to treat a GSW or battle-related trauma, then my suggestion is to invest in gear designed for that.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:42 am

drop bear wrote:
Boondock wrote:

A tampon is a tampon. The pads/pantyliners are not tampons. If someone shoved a tampon in his GSW, I'l bet every toy in my gunsafe he'd have been just as well off if he'd done nothing or tied a piece of cloth over it or just put pressure on it. The panty liners/pads are less than ideal as well, and take up more space than a well-packed bandage.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:34 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
drop bear wrote:
Boondock wrote:

A tampon is a tampon. The pads/pantyliners are not tampons. If someone shoved a tampon in his GSW, I'l bet every toy in my gunsafe he'd have been just as well off if he'd done nothing or tied a piece of cloth over it or just put pressure on it. The panty liners/pads are less than ideal as well, and take up more space than a well-packed bandage.
That's exactly why I asked. I had a drill sergeant who told us a story about someone using a tampon on a GSW in theatre. I rolled my eyes and thought, "what about the guys ifak"?
You are
What you do
When it counts.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:40 pm

I'd dump the toothpaste and brush, in favor of instant hand warmers for the winter.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:42 pm

Murph wrote:I'd dump the toothpaste and brush, in favor of instant hand warmers for the winter.
And I'm in favor of a clean mouth when my morale is low. :D I might add hand warmers, though.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”