2013/2014 ZS winter MBO chat thread.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: 2013/2014 ZS winter MBO chat thread.

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:14 pm

Hercules is coming. Wind, snow and temps falling to subzero. Oh yea I am packing right now. Going to head out into the storm to bushwhack. Setting up during said storm. Not happy about the potential winds but that's all part of setting up in a storm.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Keeps snowing like it is here, we might be doing a real-world bug in. Supposed to be -15 next Monday! :o

BC_Slider

Post by BC_Slider » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:08 pm

My co worker and I will be heading out on our MBO over the Jan 18th weekend and we'll be hammock camping. Although I doubt any snow will abound in south Louisiana it still gets fairly cold at times, esp. in a hammock :). The plan is to hike in about a mile to our camping area, and we're each carrying a med. Alice pack on DIY pvc frames and MSS's. Pics and hopefully video will follow :mrgreen:

Looking forward to it and participating in our first ZS MBO contest. Cheers!

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 pm

[quote="BC_Slider"] Although I doubt any snow will abound in south Louisiana it still gets fairly cold at times, esp. in a hammock :). quote]
In 1998, I played opfor at Ft Polk for ten days in the middle of January. I was outdoors for 6 days straight. It was 33 degrees and humid most of the time. I was freaking cold. I remember wearing polypro and goretex, and still getting mosquito bites. In January!
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Out in the storm now. lets see if it has any bite . stove is burning good. Bacon and rice cooking. ALso did the bacon on a stick thing during a fast rest on the hike. Started that fire with a mora knife, rock and charred bark. Turning off this phone to save battery so gotta go.

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:50 am

Woods Walker wrote:Out in the storm now. lets see if it has any bite . stove is burning good. Bacon and rice cooking. ALso did the bacon on a stick thing during a fast rest on the hike. Started that fire with a mora knife, rock and charred bark. Turning off this phone to save battery so gotta go.
Best of luck and take care.
Nature can be a bi***, so be safe.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:00 pm

procyon wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:Out in the storm now. lets see if it has any bite . stove is burning good. Bacon and rice cooking. ALso did the bacon on a stick thing during a fast rest on the hike. Started that fire with a mora knife, rock and charred bark. Turning off this phone to save battery so gotta go.
Best of luck and take care.
Nature can be a bi***, so be safe.
Thanks, some snow but that wind chill really sucks the life out of yea.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:09 am

Woods Walker wrote:Thanks, some snow but that wind chill really sucks the life out of yea.
That's the part I am concerned about.
With the cold wave coming in on Sunday/Monday, and the high where I live projected to be -4 F on Monday with lows around -15 or less with wind chills around -50...
Be careful. Sucking the life out of you can be a very REAL problem at those temps.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

congochris

Post by congochris » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Totally forgot about this, haven't been on ZS in a while. Went for a quick lunch hike with the kid that I threw in as an entry to keep things interesting, and a personally estimated 0.05% chance of winning. :lol: Hopefully I can get in for an overnighter as well, though not likely with as much snow as we had today without going up into the mountains into the stupid-cold. Hampered by my truck being down for the count thanks to some cold weather causing a crack in at least one if not both heads. Unfortunately the only foot reachable areas are either my back yard or county/city land that is illegal to camp in without a permit and permitting regulations seem to be nonexistent. :roll:

Be safe everyone who enters, let's try to keep disqualifications at zero!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 pm

procyon wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:Thanks, some snow but that wind chill really sucks the life out of yea.
That's the part I am concerned about.
With the cold wave coming in on Sunday/Monday, and the high where I live projected to be -4 F on Monday with lows around -15 or less with wind chills around -50...
Be careful. Sucking the life out of you can be a very REAL problem at those temps.
The temps were in record low territory. Some places in my State hit -18F without wind chill earlier during the weekend. Not sure what I got but really, really could have done without the wind. I should have packed mittens rather than gloves.

Takaaco78

Post by Takaaco78 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:58 am

Put me down for a Cree headlamp for a prize.

“When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else.” – Mark Twain

Medic73
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Medic73 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks for adding the great prize Takaaco78!

Takaaco78

Post by Takaaco78 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:50 pm

I will also give up some homemade zipper pulls (several skull colors to choose from)and a ZS decal (i found a whole stack of them in the closet)

“When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else.” – Mark Twain

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Lot of slick prizes in this MBO. Makes me wish I was taking part. Thanks to all who've donated.

BC_Slider

Post by BC_Slider » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 am

Friday afternoon...can't come fast enough for our 2 night MBO/camping trip :) Wish us luck with forecasted temps of 37F at night and mid 50's during the day :clap:

Medic73

Post by Medic73 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:14 am

The prizes just keep getting better and better. Thanks everyone donating prizes.

We need more entries. The Polar Vortex is gone now. It's safe to come outside again.

Let's go camping!

On Point

Post by On Point » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:14 pm

I have another WMBO planned for this weekend. Forecast, cold, snow & wind, should be miserable. :clap:
Last edited by On Point on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts." - William Shakespeare

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Medic73 wrote:The prizes just keep getting better and better. Thanks everyone donating prizes.

We need more entries. The Polar Vortex is gone now. It's safe to come outside again.

Let's go camping!
Not all of ZS was intimidated by it.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:16 pm

How're your bodies holding up, Woods and Medic73? I went for a good hike today and mine foot's a little achy tonight. While I was out there, I was wondering how y'all were feeling.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Well, it's not entry worthy, but I did take my day hike kit (part of my GHB) out for a hike at one of our local conservation areas today. It was a beautiful day for a solo lunchtime walk in the woods. It was a little treacherous too, but I wore my ice cleats to keep me off my butt. Lots of downed trees and branches, and lots of ice, but I also saw lots of tracks, a hawk and a flock/gaggle/murder (?) of chickadees - and my foot didn't mind too much. Yeah!

Borrowed a new camera so here's the long-winded video recap:

If you're in this winter wonderland too, have fun and be safe out there!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:32 pm

Glad you got out, jac.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:16 pm

This weekend is out for me. Temps over +40F, high winds (50+kts) avalanche danger off the scale.

Maybe I'll do a "stuck in my car in a storm" trip. I've wondered just how bad a night would be, as I have a Sidekick, not exactly a passenger car.

What I got.

What I used to have. That was something you could camp out inside of....

Yes, the trunk was large enough to hold a single 'twin' mattress with room to spare. There was a single seat and the rest of the passenger space was used to extend the trunk....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Medic73

Post by Medic73 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Bacpacjac, good to see you getting oot and aboot!

I've been trying to get up and out walking more, but I've found that even a little time down, due to the weather made me lose some of what I fought so hard to gain. My ankle is not as stable as I need it to be and I am hurting more when I'm up on it. Also, now my lower back is having spasms in the muscle when I walk. NOT GOOD!

I saw my ortho doctor on Jan 3rd. He told me that my ankle is still broken and not healing. It can't heal because of the lack of proper blood circulation. Also, a fair sized fragment of the broken bone has now shifted out on my lateral ankle and is pushing against the ligaments that support my lateral ankle. He said he could go in and remove it surgically, BUT he would rather leave it if I can stand the pain because it will make a good piece of bone for a bone graft if/when my ankle does collapse making me need the Total Ankle Fusion. Until that happens, he has released me to only come back as needed.

Because of what the doctor said, my Workers Comp Checks have now been cut off, even though I still have other doctors appointments to follow up with. That means that my money income is now gone and that makes it VERY tight now with only my wife's part time job as income. We've now had to apply for food stamps and Social Security Disability and it looks like I'll have to tap my 401K retirement account to pay the bills.

Anyway, because of my foot and ankle pain, I have not even done a walk down the hiking trails in the parks here. I need to get out and start pushing myself more, so hopefully, I might be able to do that soon. Until then, I hope everyone is getting out as they can for those like me that can't but wish I could. Even if you are not out working on a MBO Entry, get out there and enjoy the outdoors.

Thanks,
Medic73

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:38 pm

TacAir wrote:Maybe I'll do a "stuck in my car in a storm" trip.
That'd be real cool. You should totally do that.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”