Has This Ever Happened to Your AAAs?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Has This Ever Happened to Your AAAs?

Post by 74 or more » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks for all the input guys. Sorry it's taken me a while to reply. I've been out of town for the past 4 days.

Duracell is sending me coupons to replace the batteries and a debit card to replace my flashlight. I'll use the coupons to add to my preps (read: batteries that are not stored in devices) and probably buy some more eneloops for the stuff I use the most. If I'm going to upgrade my batteries that get used everyday, might as well do it now, right?
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:10 am

Not bad, Duracell, not bad!

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Alkaline battery leaks and flashlight damage just seem to par for our civilizations course.

Buying several cheap plastic tube flashlights and loading them with alkaline batteries is probably a better
value and risk that investing in just one expensive aluminum tube smart flashlight with computer controlled
blinking and dimming functions and putting alkalines in it. You can always tape a screw driver to the cheap
flashlights if you foresee needing to break out windows or fight off zombies with it when SHTF.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 pm

mark9atq wrote:Alkaline battery leaks and flashlight damage just seem to par for our civilizations course.

Buying several cheap plastic tube flashlights and loading them with alkaline batteries is probably a better
value and risk that investing in just one expensive aluminum tube smart flashlight with computer controlled
blinking and dimming functions and putting alkalines in it.

The other thing is to use lithium batteries in the expensive flashlights or swap out alkaline batteries every 6 to 9 months with new batteries.

ppfd
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead! What else!

Post by ppfd » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Funny this should come up.

http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the above light with that included battery. It looks just like the one 74 posted in his OP.

It sits on my key chain so no water damage. Gaskets in the light turned basically to goo.

Guess I'll try ARC first as they provided the battery.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:06 am

charlie505 wrote:I don't put the batteries in my my emergency flashlight - they are in a zip lock bag taped to the flashlight.
All my electronic devices do not have batteries installed until I need them. And I rotate those batteries too.
The only flashlights/electronic devices that have batteries installed in them are the ones I use daily.

When batteries are installed in electronic devices you get small circulating currents that cause the batteries to lose their charge and corrode. The same will happen to batteries in the open, but it takes longer.

I use these to carry my batteries in my EDC
and this:
JayceSlayn wrote:Doesn't sound like the culprit in your case, but another reason this happens is mixing batteries in series of different ages, manufacturers (yes, really), or State of Charge (SoC). Thought I'd repeat it here though, in case others are seeing the same thing.

What it can be is a capacity mis-match problem. Batteries lose voltage as they drain, but it doesn't go to zero before they are considered "dead". If the stack of batteries still has enough voltage to run the device - say one fresh battery and an old one - current keeps running through the circuit. The old/dead battery now goes beyond the point of "dead", starts to break down, and will spill its guts like this. It could happen from long term storage in a device that has some phantom current slowly draining the batteries, or just normal usage, as the former case. Similarly bad things happen to mismatched batteries in parallel configuration, so generally anytime you read precautions from any battery manufacturer they repeatedly state "DO NOT MIX BATTERIES". It's not just because they want to sell you more of their particular product, it is a real problem.

Out of the light/gear, Alkaline is fine. But if I store in the light, lithium it is.
You could also turn the light on for a few seconds to release the current build up.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:57 am

informative!!!!!!
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Great info here.

Since Coke will clean the weird buildup on a car battery terminal, do you think it would clean the buildup out of a flashlight? Followed by lots of water rinses and draining, of course.

Next time I get in a try it or trash it situation I will give it a try and get back to y'all.
Boldly going nowhere

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Do the batteries have a "best by" date on them or whatever it's called? Usually just "JAN 201X" Just curious because I've had it happen, but usually with crappy batteries. I'm also pretty sure that vinegar dissolves the acid, but alcohol sounds like it works also.

Also to note, what you have on your hands from the batteries there is pretty much lye (KHO), so when you wash it off, make sure you keep washing because it'll melt skin.

/ninjaedited out NAHO because man I'd seem dumb.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:38 pm

best solution I've come up with so far for cleaning up battery acid is to make a paste with baking soda and water.
The baking soda neutralizes the acid. just make sure to dry it out well.
I'll experiment with baking soda and alcohol.

just thought about it one time when cooking because I use baking soda to neutralize acidic food.
seems to work so far.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:21 pm

BloodLust wrote:best solution I've come up with so far for cleaning up battery acid is to make a paste with baking soda and water.
The baking soda neutralizes the acid. just make sure to dry it out well.
I'll experiment with baking soda and alcohol.

just thought about it one time when cooking because I use baking soda to neutralize acidic food.
seems to work so far.
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is an infinitely useful thing to have around. In this case you are looking for its property to act as a buffer, meaning it is capable of neutralizing both acids and bases. Chemistry labs keep it on hand when they need to dump something on a chemical burn and you don't have time to figure out what exactly it was and what the proper agent would be to counter it. It also has the beneficial property that since it is a buffer, as long as you add sufficient baking soda, the resultant solution will be neutral. That's in contrast to adding an acid (e.g. vinegar) to combat a base (KOH, etc.), that to get a truly neutral solution at the end, you would need to add exactly the correct amount to acid to the base. And that would require weighing components, math, and other strenuous procedures. :P It's also useful in firefighting (which could also happen in some chemistry labs) since it tends to smother materials, and by its thermal decomposition it produces carbon dioxide, which helps to further displace oxygen. List of uses goes on and on...

I would vote for the baking soda and water trick, and a thorough drying afterwards. I can't think of why alcohol would be better than water, except that maybe people chose it since it dries more readily, and thus requires less trying time in the end. Either way, you are going to get some extra water in the end (if my chem brain is working):
NaHCO3(aq.) + KOH(aq.) ==> H2O + NaKCO3(aq.)
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:13 pm

yup. just for the faster drying times.
just use a small toothbrush to scrub away at the contacts with battery acid with the baking soda paste.

using a higher percentage alcohol will dry out faster.

I wonder how Everclear will do though.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”