Help identifying body armor

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mr.trooper

Help identifying body armor

Post by mr.trooper » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Friend of mine gave me a pair of old body armor panels, but I don't know what kind of vest it came from (ballistic / stab). There is no carrier with them, and no tags or logos. They are obviously some kind of insert, as attested by the velcro patches, and the front panel has a pouch for a small trauma plate (5"x8"). Fabric inside is some kind of yellow tight weave aramid fabric, but it is just plain weave with no identifiable threads or pattern, and the only markings written on the fabric are "32 layers" and "size XL" hand written in pen likely by the worker who cut the yarns. Also, someone has written ""XL" on the outside of the insert with a marker.

Anyone have any kind of inkling? Obviously the vest is well used and likely long expired, but it would be nice to know what kind of protection the panels are supposed to protect from.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

ancient_serpent

Re: Help identifying body armor

Post by ancient_serpent » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:15 am

Tried looking it up in a couple of places, couldn't find anything. There are so many vest companies out there... Sorry.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:37 am

Usually there will be a tag like this somewhere on it.

If it's an old set and someone has ripped off the tag then you're kind of SOL on finding out when it's made or what protection level it is.

It looks like someone just took a piece of cloth and put it around the insert. Anything inside that on the actual insert?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:15 am

That IS the insert, inside is nothing but the fabric plies. It looks like its supposed to velcro inside of an outer shell or carrier, which I do not have.

What I do know is that is it some kind of Kevlar, there are 32 layers of fabric, and it is made to accept a trauma plate.

Can we use that to deduce some info? Are ballistic vests the only kind that use that use 30+ layers, or do stab vest go that high? Are ballistic vest the only kind that use trauma plates? Im not really an armor aficionado, so maybe someone out there can make something of these clues?
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

thechin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1968 Night of the living dead
1990 Night of the living dead
1978 Dawn of the Dead
2008 Dawn of the Dead
1985 Day of the Dead
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Return of the Living dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by thechin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:48 am

No tags, Identifiers, or even a 'made in china' sticker? I wouldn't wear that thing even if my opposition had nothing but a potato gun. Clean it up, and attach a sticky note to it that says 'Display use only'.
Because no honest man should be limited to ten rounds. Sorry Bill. I like your revolvers but I hope you rot in hell.-yossarian

if you dont learn google-fu around here your pants will catch fire. Im just sayin.-Blkhrt13

"Be not afraid of any man,
No matter what his size;
When danger threatens, call on me....
And I will equalize." ~ unknown

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:52 am

Okay, for the pics it looked like it might have been a homemade job.

This is the info I have on layers.

Level II-A
(16-20 Layers of Kevlar)

Level II
(20-24 Layers of Kevlar)

Level III-A
(24-28 Layers of Kevlar)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

CAGE
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CAGE » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Show pics of both panels please.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Looks pretty whipped............maybe it's from the UK ? They used to sew their small plate pouches like that, but their's were offset over the heart........sooo, who know's?

Browning, that K-30 is a good insert for concealable armor....wore it for twelve years and still use it. I think it's tough to find now.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:02 pm

Those panels look pretty ragged out. I think I'd start shopping for new armor and shoot those panels for shits and giggles, but thats just me.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

jdev

Post by jdev » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 am

crypto wrote:Those panels look pretty ragged out. I think I'd start shopping for new armor and shoot those panels for shits and giggles, but thats just me.
That's the best advice anyone can give you. There's no way in hell I'd trust them in any way, shape, or form.

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:48 pm

It's not British, British armour was double breasted and overlapped. Very early vests from the 70/80's were just flak vests and had no plate.

The overlap might give the impression that the balastic plate was off set until you put the thing on. Once you fasten it up it sits central just like your heart does (mostly) and also just as importantly your main pulmonary artery and spine. The plate pouch was stitched into the seperate outer shell as well. British kit has also been marked up in metric sizes in milimetres for many a decade.

My guess is privately manufactured in the US and aimed at the police and civilian market.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:27 pm

Be careful out there with body armor.

ORLANDO (WJHG) -- The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has arrested three men they say were involved in a counterfeit ring that could get people killed.

Investigators allege that the owner of Alpha Inc., Scott Anderson, 57, Ocoee, sold counterfeit body armor at gun shows across Florida. They believe Scott Williams, 51, Ocoee, and Arami Rodriguez, 36, Ocoee worked for Anderson and assisted in the manufacturing and selling of the fake body armor.

"These suspects sold dangerous products to unsuspecting consumers raking in large profits for themselves," said FDLE Orlando Regional Operations Center Special Agent in Charge Danny Banks.

The investigation began in August when Point Blank Enterprises, Inc. received a complaint from a customer. The customer said he purchased Point Blank body armor at a gun show in West Palm Beach that he thought was counterfeit. The manufacturer determined the armor was fake and contacted FDLE.

Ballistic tests determined the body armor provided no ballistic protection.

On September 11, FDLE executed a search warrant at Alpha, Inc. in Ocoee and located counterfeit body armor from Point Blank, PACA (Protective Apparel Corporation of America), ABA (American Body Armor), Gall's, First Choice, and OM Tactical.

Agents also found additional body armor labeled as Full Dragon Armor, Coloma, Michigan, which does not exist. The Full Dragon body armor also provided no ballistic protection.

Anderson and Williams were booked into the Orange County Jail each on a $5,250 bond. Rodriguez will be held on a $10,250 bond but is currently in the custody of the US Marshals Service on unrelated federal charges.

If you believe you may have purchased counterfeit body armor at a gun show in Florida, contact the manufacturer.

Point Blank Enterprises Inc.
(PACA, Paraclete, Protective Products) - 800-413-5155

OMTactical - 888-781-6891

Safariland (ABA, Second Chance, Protech Tactical) - 800-347-1200

Diamondback Tactical (First Choice Armor) - 800-882-7667
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Return to “Bug Out Gear”