Pistol Carry method with large BOB on your back

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

rickp

Pistol Carry method with large BOB on your back

Post by rickp » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Hey guys and gals,
I'm looking for a good carry solution for my M&P 45 and or 9MM while humping with my back pack on. I would like a system that would support easy access to the pistol, for example a pouch running across my chest with the pistol in it for example.

I run an Eberlestock pack with the additional modular top pouch. That pouch is my OH SHIT pouch, it hold all my ESSENTIALS, like water purification, fire making, mylar blanket, knife, handsaw, signal, navigation etc....It also has MOLLE in it if I remember right so attaching a holster would be easy.

Thanks.
"In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Re: Pistol Carry method with large BOB on your back

Post by vawilderness » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 pm

There are tons of options out there...

Blackhawk! Makes a combo kit with everything you need for shoulder, drop leg, and Molle. To might have to spring for an additional holster as this kit is for an M9. Just one option though.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Serpa- ... 4,1416.htm

Also see this chest pack from hill people gear:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ ... fault.aspx
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 pm

I'd get a Safepacker from The Wilderness. It's a flap-top discreet holster that you can attach to the hip belt of your bag. I love it.

http://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker ... t-holster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

rickp

Post by rickp » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:06 pm

crypto wrote:I'd get a Safepacker from The Wilderness. It's a flap-top discreet holster that you can attach to the hip belt of your bag. I love it.

http://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker ... t-holster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks guys, Im definitely looking for something low profile, something that will not show the pistol or screams pistol just by its design. I hope that makes sense.

R.
"In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:11 pm

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:30 pm

Depends on your purpose in carrying.

In an everyday situation, I'd want something that doesn't show from the next guy in hiker gear. No one has giant chest pouches when hiking. At least, not normal people.

In that situation, I'm looking at an IWB holster in a shoulder-ish position, under a loose fitting hiking shirt.

If SHTF, and you're trying to blend, same thing.

If SHTF, and you're open carrying, well ... nothing wrong with the ole thigh or chest rig holster.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:47 pm

I haven't tried any of the chest pouch systems that we've shown here and elsewhere on the forums before, but maybe soon. I've hiked with a thigh rig before and sometimes you notice passer-bys give you an extra glance-over, but most everyone seems to get over it. And the first few times I wore my usual IWB holster with a pack, the hip belt forced it into my hip so hard that I got bruises the following days. Through experimentation I eventually learned that I just needed to shift the holster a little further rearward than I usually carry it (just behind my illiac crest then), and on subsequent hiking trips with similarly heavy loads, I haven't felt any discomfort from wearing it with the pack hip belt.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:49 pm

IWB tends to work really shitty when you have on shoulder straps and a hip belt. :|
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NX02GT
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ones with Zombies in them.

Post by NX02GT » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:54 pm

I carry mine in a ribs front pack. http://www.amazon.com/Ribz-01-F-Front-P ... B0042DH40A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When I go backpacking, I hate stopping and taking my pack off, so this carries my map, GPS etc, but the most important item and why I bought it was to carry my pistol. On some occasions (like in CO where I couldn't conceal but could open carry) I put it on a paddle holster on the waist strap that. I thought it would be really uncomfortable, but it actually works fine for me.
Czechnology wrote: On a normal shotgun with Ghost Rings, the sight radius is significantly longer. I'd put a red dot on that thing before I ever considered those MBUS. It's like putting Pirellis on a Mail Jeep. Yeah they look cool, but the platform cannot utilize them to their potential.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:01 am

spanningtree wrote:Take a look-see at this: http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ ... fault.aspx
I second the above recommendation. Good piece of gear.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:02 am

The placement on my holster is basically is the armpit, under my overshirt. (My hiking rig is wicking layer + overshirt + (fleece/rainshell, as required)).

My usual day pack is a Gregory Z35, the multiday pack is a Gregory Whitney, and I usually travel in pretty CCW unfriendly areas. Haven't gotten a question yet about if I'm packing, or weird glances.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:15 am

crypto wrote:IWB tends to work really shitty when you have on shoulder straps and a hip belt. :|
It's definitely not ideal. My holster conforms to my hip pretty well, and while hiking, I leave my shirt tucked on the inside of it, leaving it open for drawing, but that is presently the only really comfortable way I have of carrying it relatively at the ready with my whole pack on. Drawing from that position for me is hampered mainly by the pack encumberance, but surprisingly the placement and hip belt/shoulder straps don't seem to get in the way too much. I definitely want to try out the HPG kit bags, but I haven't set aside the money for one yet. Before my next outing hopefully. :) And they are useful for carrying other little items too!

Question (since we are discussing them here, but I'm sure we might have asked it in previous threads): Do you feel comfortable carrying a pistol in the pistol compartment with other things in the pack, without a hard trigger guard? Don't want to stick a whole other holster inside, as that just adds weight and partially defeats the quick draw purpose, but I've also seen some little kydex trigger guards that could be tied off on the inside of the panel and pulled off when drawing. Just don't know if anyone makes a pattern of those for my CZ P01.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:31 am

JayceSlayn wrote:Question (since we are discussing them here, but I'm sure we might have asked it in previous threads): Do you feel comfortable carrying a pistol in the pistol compartment with other things in the pack, without a hard trigger guard? Don't want to stick a whole other holster inside, as that just adds weight and partially defeats the quick draw purpose, but I've also seen some little kydex trigger guards that could be tied off on the inside of the panel and pulled off when drawing. Just don't know if anyone makes a pattern of those for my CZ P01.
I would not carry without the trigger guard covered. Even if the gun has a manual safety, I'd still be worried about something manipulating that safety, or somethign getting caught in the trigger area. IF you need it in a hurry, you don't want to be making sure that there's not a little piece of schmutz keeping you from firing. There are plenty of kydex makers out there, just hunt around and someone will be able to make you one.
.milFox wrote:Depends on your purpose in carrying.

In an everyday situation, I'd want something that doesn't show from the next guy in hiker gear. No one has giant chest pouches when hiking. At least, not normal people.

In that situation, I'm looking at an IWB holster in a shoulder-ish position, under a loose fitting hiking shirt.

If SHTF, and you're trying to blend, same thing.

If SHTF, and you're open carrying, well ... nothing wrong with the ole thigh or chest rig holster.
IWB in a shoulder position is called a shoulder rig. You're not carrying In the WaistBand if it's not in your waistband.

Plenty of people wear a chest pack like a Koala or the HPG Runner's Kit. That's where the idea to put a gun in one came from. Particularly popular for day hikers or distance hikers who want a bit of pogey bait and a camera at easy access. Google for "hiking chest pack" and look at all the stuff out there from companies that's designed for cameras or AT hiking if you don't believe me.

ETA: Formatting fix.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:57 am

spanningtree wrote:Take a look-see at this: http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ ... fault.aspx
Yup.

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:03 am

The Hill People Gear bag is pretty low profile if you choose one of the smaller models. The one I bought is the same color as my pack and it blends in. Never get any second looks. However you can get their "recon" model with molle straps and bling it out if you want as well. I also have one of those and I have a bunch of cool guy morale patches on the front of it.

Get it. Use it. Love it.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:01 am

RepoMan73 wrote:The Hill People Gear bag is pretty low profile if you choose one of the smaller models. The one I bought is the same color as my pack and it blends in. Never get any second looks. However you can get their "recon" model with molle straps and bling it out if you want as well. I also have one of those and I have a bunch of cool guy morale patches on the front of it.

Get it. Use it. Love it.
If you go with quick detach molle like the Blackhawk Speed stips it can give you the option to swap things based on needs. Here are a couple of good threads on this:

My Review: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=108301

Long running post: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=96547

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:30 am

Here are a couple of additional options that may look a tad more civilian and/or less conspicuous:

The syncpack: http://thesyncpack.com/convenientAccess.html

Salomon custom front pocket: http://www.salomon.com/us/product/custo ... ocket.html
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:14 pm

I hike a lot and when I can legally carry a handgun either concealed or open carry, I do so.

That said for concealed carry I like front packs and pouches. I have a Ribz front pack, which works well with a large handgun. I haven't tried the Hill's People Gear because quiet frankly, just looking at the design they don't seem to be comfortable or will work well with any of my backpacks. YMMV, but for me I like the ribz pack because its low across your belly and just above the backpack hip belt, making drawing a gun more of a natural movement. The Hill People Gear packs is high across the chest and will interfere/rub against with most backpack sternum straps and shoulder straps. The issue with front packs is you will cook, meaning body heat gets trapped under the front back, as bad if not worse than under your backpack. You will sweat a lot in the summer. Even in the winter, if you are walking more that a mile, you will build up heat, and getting sweaty and soaking thru your clothes in cold temps then stopping can be dangerous. Another complain is its a PITA to change layers and ventilate, meaning from walking several miles, to stopping to heat, rain, wind and elevation changes sometime you need to take off or put on layers of clothing or even open zippers to ventilate. That gets hard with both a backpack and front pack to take on an off. While front packs are great for carrying a full sized handgun, some extra mags and maybe some other gear, it get kind of awkward in a social situation, like when you stop to camp for the night and other campers are around, walk into town for a re-supply or when you need to use the privy or a cathole. Are you going to keep the front pack on you 24/7? Keep it on you all day and you will throw off read flags or look like a nut. However if you take it off and leave it , your gun could get stolen, or you can be unarmed when your are squatting to drop a deuce over a cathole and that mountain lion shows up. I like my Ribz pack for dayhikes or overnighters with friends, but that is about it. More so because I can carry a gun and ammo on one side, and snacks and essentials on the other side. Add a bladder or a daypack and you are good to go. In a SHTF situation however the Ribz pack will be my go to option for discrete carry of my service pistol and extra mags while wearing a backpack.

I really like pouches. You can attach them to a hip belt, your waist belt or shoulder strap and it just looks like you are a gear junkie. I have an old Blackhawk pouch that looks like a camera or large cell phone case, and it actually has two compartments. One is a zipper that you can use for your wallet and keys or maybe an extra mag or two and the other is a tab that had a hidden Velcro pocket that you can keep a pistol hidden in. The biggest gun I can hide in there is my S&W Shield .40 but when hiking that is all I need. The problem with pouches is the gun cannot be too big or heavy. A huge pouch on a pack that is drooping because of something heavy in it is going to scream "gun". However with a more compact CC handgun it looks like just another piece of gear, and with a social situation or to have a constitutional you can just take it with you either carrying it in your hand or attaching it to your belt. Again something that small and portable will be convenient to carry everywhere with you and no one will be the wiser. They will just assume you are being protective of your money or an expensive piece of gear.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Belt-P ... 781,34.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another hybrid pack that is pretty neat is the Osprey Grab Bag. Its a pouch/small front pack that has a strap & buckle system that can be anything from a small front pack to an accessory pack attached to your backpack shoulder straps. Then alone with without your backpack you can convert it into a fanny pack or for the ladies a small shoulder purse. Its just real convenient to hang the front for your pack while hiking then wrap around your waist when you get to camp for the night. Its really blends in with the whole "gray man" role since the Osprey logo is real big with hikers, and looks far from tactical, even though it come in gray and black. Like the pouches however there is a limit to what you can carry in it. I have carried a Kel Tec P11, and a .38 snubbie in it before. It fits up to a Glock 19 but just barely and I never used the Grab bag to carried a G19 fully loaded. I don't think it could carry a full sized pistol or anything too heavy. Best of all the Osprey grab bag can be bought for about $25 and is easy to find in most sporting goods store that sell Osprey packs.

You can always pocket carry, but anything beyond a .380 pocket pistol or a airweight snubbie can become a chaffing issue if you are wearing loose pants/shorts and hiking big miles. Too tight (please don't hike in tight jeans) and the gun will be hard to draw from the pocket, especially with a backpack hip belt in the way.

I don't like open carry too much when hiking, since most hikers I run into are nice people but seem to fear guns and open carry. That said the only thing I seen to be effective and comfortable for open carry with a backpack is a drop leg holster, or a belt holster attached to the backpack's hip belt. For a total PAW carry option I would go with a drop leg holster.
Last edited by Mikeyboy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:24 pm

I like the .380 LCP and the sneaky pete holster

But thats a bit small for you.

Bender711

Post by Bender711 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm a big fan of the front packs to keep essentials. I try to avoid having much if anything in my pockets when hiking. I currently use the Ribz pack but I do plan on trying the HPG one eventually.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:55 pm

I've also gone to a chest pack. One day I'll pick up the Kifaru one, but for now I'm using this:

The only downside is it's warm. I'm much warmer moving with that thing covering part of my chest than not, so I have to dress down a layer more than I would have before if I'm moving.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Mikeyboy: Everything you said about the HPG chest pack is wrong. They incorporate into pack-wearing far better than the Ribz and actually support the weight of a legit pistol. Your list of cons is far too long for someone who has no experience with one.

fanny pack<Safepacker<HPG chest pack. Word Up.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:17 am

PistolPete wrote:I've also gone to a chest pack. One day I'll pick up the Kifaru one, but for now I'm using this:

The only downside is it's warm. I'm much warmer moving with that thing covering part of my chest than not, so I have to dress down a layer more than I would have before if I'm moving.
What chest pack is that?

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:34 am

I've hiked with the HPG Stubby and a REI Crestrail 70 pack. It didn't interfere with the chest straps in any way. You can adjust the HPG bag to make it hang lower if needed but the chest strap of my pack seems to fit snug right above it.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”