water filtration system

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mossberg

water filtration system

Post by mossberg » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:45 am

any suggestions for an easy to use water filtration system? need one for a family of four...

NamelessStain

Re: water filtration system

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:35 am

Going to need more details...

- size? portable to a whole home system
- duration? do you need it for 2 days or 2 years
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

mossberg

Post by mossberg » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:39 am

portable-----for maybe a week or two....

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:52 am

Katadyn Hiker Pro would produce enough water for that time frame: http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-pro ... crofilter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MSR MiniWorks EX would also fit your requirements: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water ... er/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I have one of these Platypus filters as a backup in my GHB preps: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/ ... er/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:30 am

Look at the Sawyer point zero two water filter system or Platypus GravityWorks. For the amount of water required in a portable setting you'll be spending a LOT of time sitting there pumping away to get the required 4 gallons per day for your family, where as, in a gravity system you can be doing other things while the water gets filtered.

For us we currently have a Katadyn Combi and a couple monolithic ceramic drip filters for home use but soon will be replacing it with the Sawyer point zero two or Platypus GravityWorks - just can't decide which. The last thing I want to be doing is spending time pumping a water filter if there are other jobs that need to be done.
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:41 am

I'm using the Katadyn hiker, didn't see any real advantage to the pro. I compared both the hiker and MSR miniworks (listed above) and the hiker is an inch shorter and 2/3 the weight so I went with it.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:20 am

Sawyer zero two

Fill 5 gallon bucket

Drink water.

Depending on the source, you may need some flocculation, the Sawyer can be backwashed to extend service life.

Owing to how it is built, freezing is a real issue. Once frozen, you have a tree ornament...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:49 am

I have this sawyer and a steripen.

GRPABT1

Post by GRPABT1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12 am

Google the lifestraw many options

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 am

MSR mini works + Aquamria Drops or Aquamira Frontier Pro + Aquamira Drops

These 2 systems have been working great for me.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:59 am

Or the simplest solution, filter with a rag then boil it.

Teqnikal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land, AAAAAAAH ZOMBIES!!!

Post by Teqnikal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm

NamelessStain wrote:Or the simplest solution, filter with a rag then boil it.
Took the kids (7 and 4 at the time) out camping last year, a combination of backpacking and car camping. (Camp was w/in 20 minutes of the car) I brought a small pump filter, water treatment tabs, a pot to cook, and a coffee pot to boil water. The hand pump (not sure which brand) was small and took me a good 5 minutes of pumping to fill a 1000mL nalgeen bottle, it was in short, a pain in the ass. The pills took 4 hours to clean the water properly, guess I should have read the instructions before I got those at wally-world. Boiling was quick and painless. (but that requires fire and stuff)
After filling all the bottles with the pump the first day a couple of times I grew tired of it. Before I put the campfire out for the night I boiled enough water to fill all the jugs and a full coffee pot for the next day. Did this while stitting around enjoying the fire and the stars. IMHO boiling water was the easiest way to get clean water. If I wanted it cooled I put it in the creek to cool it down, or left it over night. If you want a pump I would make sure it puts out a decent amount of water for the effort that you put in it.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Absolutely love my Katadyn Basecamp for more than myself. It's rock simple touse and you don'thave to pump it. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Base-Camp ... amp+filter
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Teqnikal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land, AAAAAAAH ZOMBIES!!!

Post by Teqnikal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Absolutely love my Katadyn Basecamp for more than myself. It's rock simple touse and you don'thave to pump it. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Base-Camp ... amp+filter
This is why I love and hate this site. Love the information. Hate not haveing the money to get all the nift stuff.

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:26 am

The simplest system I have found is as follows:

1. Sawyer Mini or Sawyer Squeeze. This filters down to 0.1 microns, removing all bacteria and particulates. Can be backflushed and will last a lifetime of use, far longer than any of the ceramic filters mentioned above. The former also weighs just over an ounce, compared to the heavy ceramic filters. I have Katadyn filters. They're nice but obsolete as far as I'm concerned because they require a pump (which adds weight and can fail), have a relatively short lifespan (except for the pocket, which still has a shorter lifespan than the Sawyers and costs four times as much), and the ceramic element is heavy.

To use: just screw onto a plastic bottle and squeeze.

As a backup or in case I suspect viral contamination, I have a Steripen.

3. I also have a few chlorine tablets.

4. Finally I have a titanium cup that I can boil in if high-tech solutions fail.

All four of these together weigh less than your average pump-action Katadyn filter on its own.

edit: Oh, and I've used my Sawyer to filter for multiple people. The squeeze will filter at a rate of about 1 litre per minute.

edit 2: Someone suggested the Lifestraw. With the Sawyer Mini, I believe this to now be obsolete. The Sawyer mini is rated to last for 100,000 litres (compared to only 1,000 for the Lifestraw), and filters down to a smaller level than the Lifestraw will.
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

GRPABT1

Post by GRPABT1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:09 am

You sparked my interest and the sawyer point zero two 4L kit looks very promising, even filters viruses.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 am

I have never used the Sawyer Squeeze but I don't see how it any different than my frontier pro with a platy bag attached. What am I missing?
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:49 am

74 or more wrote:I have never used the Sawyer Squeeze but I don't see how it any different than my frontier pro with a platy bag attached. What am I missing?
Frontier pro filters to 3 microns. Sawyer Squeeze to .1 micron. When your life is on the line, I know which one I want.

http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/filter-tech.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sawyer also has a .02 micron filter, albeit more expensive. Sawyer filters do not filter dissolved solids (heavy metals or chemicals), so they are not a 100% foolproof filter, but in combination with my Berkey, or any other charcoal/ceramic based filter, I am fairly confident that I can get potable water from anywhere in the world.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:50 am

Murphman wrote:
74 or more wrote:I have never used the Sawyer Squeeze but I don't see how it any different than my frontier pro with a platy bag attached. What am I missing?
Frontier pro filters to 3 microns. Sawyer Squeeze to .1 micron. When your life is on the line, I know which one I want.

http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/filter-tech.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sawyer also has a .02 micron filter, albeit more expensive. Sawyer filters do not filter dissolved solids (heavy metals or chemicals), so they are not a 100% foolproof filter, but in combination with my Berkey, or any other charcoal/ceramic based filter, I am fairly confident that I can get potable water from anywhere in the world.
Additionally, the sawyer filters will last for a lot longer.

edit: I used my Sawyer Squeeze every day for two months while I was in Canada. Backflushing only once or twice during the entire trip, and it's still good as new now. I could filter drinking water with this every day for the next 50 years (36,500 litres) and still have something like a hundred lifetimes of use left. They have a 1 million gallon guarantee!
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:22 am

Sawyer squeeze is my go to filter and I have abandoned all my pump filters. I also like the Platypus GravityWorks for large groups and family use if you don't want to build your own inline system. It can process a lot of water quick and easily, especially if everyone in your party is using Platypus bladders.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/ ... n/category" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:43 am

I picked up the Sawyer Squeeze for my commute bag, but have yet to use it. Seems like a quality product and is very light. I don't know how well it would do compared to the base camp supplying water for the whole family though... The base camp does that very well, and I have 4 extra filters in my stores now. I also added a waterproof note pad to it and write down every time I fill it do I can approximate filter life. As I see it I can filter 5000 gallons.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

GRPABT1

Post by GRPABT1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:23 pm

The life straw version 2 soon to be released to the public also filters down to 0.02 micron, although it is already behind the curve of the sawyer and their fantastic 1 million gallon guarantee.

GRPABT1

Post by GRPABT1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Can anyone recommend a good charcoal filter to accompany these water filter systems?

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:56 am

GRPABT1 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good charcoal filter to accompany these water filter systems?

Katadyn make a charcoal filter extension that just adds onto whatever you're using (well, you need tubing).

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-8013450-C ... B0007U0184

Return to “Bug Out Gear”