BOB And Chest Rigs(Pics Or Detailed Discriptions)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LeatherNeck77

BOB And Chest Rigs(Pics Or Detailed Discriptions)

Post by LeatherNeck77 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:59 am

I'm not a full on prepper due to my budget but I am working on a bug out bag and while I have, I've realized that there are certain items that you should be able to access easier then diggin in the bag, so a chest rig is a good idea right? I don't own any guns so it'd be pointless for me to buy a tatical best with mag pouches just to put other shit in, if any body has any recommendations on cheap but good quality Chest rigs for quick access items such as a fire kit, med kit , water bottle and that kinda shit. In another post I will put down my checklist that I think everyone should use as kind of a baseline for snag every BOB should have.

aus.templar

Re: BOB And Chest Rigs(Pics Or Detailed Discriptions)

Post by aus.templar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:46 am

Consider a bumbag (you might know it as a fannypack), a fishing vest or a satchel.

I have a Claymore bag, which is a satchel with two pouches with press stud closures. You should be able to get one off a mate in the army or buy them on ebay. I've modified mine by cutting out the m18a1 deployment instructions panel, cutting the strap near one side and sewing a large fastex-clip into it so It works as a satchel, or a belt even.

I think this might be something you should look at.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:53 am

A lot of people have given these good reviews:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ ... fault.aspx

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 am

aus.templar wrote:Consider a bumbag (you might know it as a fannypack), a fishing vest or a satchel.
On that note, I use these a lot:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ais%20pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty handy and you'd be surprised what you can fit in them. The only problem is no organization. It's just one big pocket.

The Hill People chest rigs That Boondock mentioned are really nice
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Jungfrau

Post by Jungfrau » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:19 am

I have and occasionally use a True North Radio Dual Chest Harness. The pack works well and I can use my backpack with it but it is easily over-weighted and can quickly become uncomfortable. One way I have tried to offset the front pulling issue is to use a strap on the back and attach it to my belt, this helps but over the course of a long day it can still become uncomfortable. I would be careful carrying something such as water since it is quite heavy. I only keep items that are frequently used (need) in the pack (IE GPS, radio, compass, whistle, signal mirror, a flashlight, lighter, notepad and pen/pencil and possibly a bar). I can add gear if I am leaving my pack (never happens) but these items allow me to continue to work without stopping.

jdev

Post by jdev » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:46 pm

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/produ ... Front+Pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Designed to work with a pack, and to allow you to still have stuff on your person if you have to ditch your pack.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:30 pm

I took a bandoleer for i think a SKS (i got in a bulk buy of crap) , then filled the pockets with small needed items like a compass, multi too, fire starter , ectl
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Prof. C.J.

Post by Prof. C.J. » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Rednex wrote:I took a bandoleer for i think a SKS (i got in a bulk buy of crap) , then filled the pockets with small needed items like a compass, multi too, fire starter , ectl
Yeah, I've got a basic Chicom SKS chest rig. I think it might be the same thing you're talking about, Rednex, and it's just like the SKS itself -- kinda crude, but on the plus side, rugged and cheap. :D

Also, Leatherneck, you can still get surplus Molle FLC vests in various camo schemes pretty cheap, often well under $20 but still in pretty good shape. Surplus Molle pouches of various sizes and shapes are also usually pretty cheap, and you can put together a custom rig this way without dropping a fortune. (Not nearly as cheap as the SKS chest rig, but much more versatile.) I guess it's up to you whether a vest with pouches fits your needs and gear. I love FLC vests, and even have one that I use for fishing that I much prefer to any purpose-built fishing vest I've ever seen for wading and kayaking.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:05 pm

The HPG is the best option, but maybe not worth the money if you don't want to carry a handgun.

man satchel, USGI sustainment pouch, or the buttpack 74 linked are good budget options.

if you want it to be chest mounted, skip the molle chest rig. bunch of dead weight and extra money you don't need to spend.
here is what I whipped up in 5 minutes:

two usmc SAW pouches paracorded together. used the h-harness off my chest rig and stuck some repair buckles in the molle on the back of the pouches.

Tactical feather weight utility man-bra. even matches my pants.

share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Thats actually pretty cool, RonnyRonin. Very creative.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:41 pm

That's a tac-bra.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Since my employment requires me to be in uniform, there is no real point for me personally in trying to go grey man durring an emergency going to work or trying to get home from - since work is the most frequent reason I leave my home.

Since Im already boned on staying concealed, I just went with a low-profile MOLLE vest that can be worn under my uniform jacket. I added utility pouches for some small tools, flares, blister pack GMRS radio, ect. Its not combat oriented, but rather access and communication oriented.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:29 pm

My roommate used to use 5.56 bandoleers for everything. Not super heavy duty, but the price was right :wink:
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:04 am

I've considered this
http://hazard4.com/products/packs/chest-rigs/ventrapack

I have no experience with Hazard 4 as a company nor can I comment on their quality of work. But the engineering behind the rig seemed neat. Works as a satchel, stand alone chest rig, or clips to your packs existing straps for hiking.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Return to “Bug Out Gear”