It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tactical gloves
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:30 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

after 3 years..my old pair of mechanix have finally given up and died.

So I've been looking at getting a new pair of gloves.. Anyone out there have suggestions or gloves to stay away from?

http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/m-pact-coyote

this is the pair I've been looking at. But am unsure on what I want

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Tactical gloves
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:48 pm 

Jwoad wrote:
after 3 years..my old pair of mechanix have finally given up and died.

So I've been looking at getting a new pair of gloves.. Anyone out there have suggestions or gloves to stay away from?

this is the pair I've been looking at. But am unsure on what I want

3 years for Mechanix gloves is WELL beyond their expected service life. Get another pair or two and enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:55 pm 

Wow! I've never had a pair last me more than a year Mechanix or otherwise. I'd stick with what you had it obviously works for you. I use two sets of gloves, Mechanix cheap nothing special for when I need dexterity over protection, and I have a second set of leather work gloves for climbing around in tight spaces with sharp metal and rough concrete. I go through them so fast I just buy cheap gloves now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:58 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well these things were just standard mechanics gloves I bought for 5 bucks at target when I worked there. Shooting.working on cars. various outside jobs. I finally split the fingers this last weekend doing a project for ZS ( hows that for luck)

I just wasn't sure if I should stick to those. Or look around. I do like those m2 models. this new pair is going strictly for zs stuff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:28 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I would also suggest buying another pair or three. I have such a hard time finding functional gloves that I tend to load up on the few good ones I find, as I never know if I'll be able to find them again.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:29 pm 

You prolly got real lucky with that last pair! I've had really expensive Hatch shakedown gloves get snagged on a not exactly clean weld and get torn in a few months and el cheapos go for a year until the finger tips wore out. I kinda just look at it as luck of the draw with gloves. I work daily in an environment of concrete and steel so for me it makes sense to spend less since that rough piece of metal doesn't know what you spent on your gloves. Best I can say is try some on. While serving I think I had a pair of Oakley brand gloves with that knuckle armor on them issued to me, they looked real cool but they weren't comfortable for me as an all day wear item. I wore them when I was going on entry/clearing missions but the rest of the time I wore cheap Mechanix gloves because they were comfortable and gave me enough protection.... Kinda like the theory of the best gun is the one you actually carry. They might not be the best protection but they are better than the best pair you don't wear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:35 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

toenails_optional wrote:
You prolly got real lucky with that last pair! I've had really expensive Hatch shakedown gloves get snagged on a not exactly clean weld and get torn in a few months and el cheapos go for a year until the finger tips wore out. I kinda just look at it as luck of the draw with gloves. I work daily in an environment of concrete and steel so for me it makes sense to spend less since that rough piece of metal doesn't know what you spent on your gloves. Best I can say is try some on. While serving I think I had a pair of Oakley brand gloves with that knuckle armor on them issued to me, they looked real cool but they weren't comfortable for me as an all day wear item. I wore them when I was going on entry/clearing missions but the rest of the time I wore cheap Mechanix gloves because they were comfortable and gave me enough protection.... Kinda like the theory of the best gun is the one you actually carry. They might not be the best protection but they are better than the best pair you don't wear.

Good advice.. am gonna head up to the few stores here that sell mechanix and see what they have. small pickings. May have to order some.OPSGEAR seems to have some good ones as well

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/categ ... me/GLOVES/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:15 pm 

I don't know about Mechanix gloves but I know there's a couple postings on Ebay for a version of Camelbak's Frog gloves that retail for close to $120 going for about $15!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:36 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've had lousy experience with "tactical" gloves. I use Mechanix gloves as they are less expensive and better quality - no they aren't all black.

I bought a set of these and they sucked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:37 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

DarkandShiny wrote:
I've had lousy experience with "tactical" gloves. I use Mechanix gloves as they are less expensive and better quality - no they aren't all black.

I bought a set of these and they sucked

I looked at those...

Glad I didnt it

am checking ebay now

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:04 am 

The best gloves Ive ever owned, and still own, are a pair of smooth cowhide that I got from Food City for 7 bucks. Working at a sawmill, other more expensive gloves wouldn't last for a week. These lasted for months. Im on my second pair, but Im no longer at the mill so I bet they will last a long time. They are yellow and will stain your hands yellow for the first couple of days but its worth it.

As a mechanic, I actually really don't like mechanix gloves for working on cars. When working on cars you will be exposed to some sort of moisture, guaranteed. Oil, grease, gas, coolant, etc and mechanix gloves just soak all that up and get very slippery. Unless all you do is exhaust work, just wear rubber gloves or nothing

http://www.zazzle.com/gunowner
https://www.facebook.com/AndIAmAGunOwner
http://www.mormon.org

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:24 am 

I second the cowhides. There built tough and last through almost anything you would encounter, however they can be a bit restrictive. Have you looked at mechanix "tactical" line. A buddy of mine has the m-pact 2's and loves them. Last time we were shooting I gave them a whirl and really liked the feel and mobility of them. Don't know if I would wear them for every day around the house work, but they're definatley a nice pair of gloves. Mechanix gives you a good glove for a low price I would stick with them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:37 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Cowhides were great...
in boot camp, when I had iron sights and the hardest opponent was the clock and the jackass marking my targets. All I had to do was his the black, so if my gloves fucked with my pull it didn't matter if I made a killshot or barely winged the silhouette.

GP gloves come in two types: contact gloves and protective gloves. Contact gloves are just that: they keep the poop and sand off your hands and shield you from some heat/cold. Mechanix are greta for this. Dexterity, price, and they come in all kidns of cool kid colors.

Protective gloves are thicker, more expensive. Many have nomex or are moisture proof, or at leats moisture resistant. Much better protection against penetration and heat, but the price is usually up there and the durability is maybe double what a set of Mechanix costs.

Gloves were required PPE; you could be court martialed for not wearing them outside the wire. I most wore mechanix in training or when we were working on something. When we had to get nasty, especially in the urban areas (broken glass, dirty needles, giant bear dogs) i wore heavier duty gloves, either blackcock or Hatch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:39 am 

I just snagged three pair of the classic/original Mechanix in "stealth" black on sale for $10/ea at Autozone. They're great GP patrolling/duty gloves, especially without the fingertips.

The really cheap Home Depot/Lowes buckskin work gloves with some mink oil are pretty sweet, too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:12 am 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Cowhides were great...
in boot camp, when I had iron sights and the hardest opponent was the clock and the jackass marking my targets. All I had to do was his the black, so if my gloves fucked with my pull it didn't matter if I made a killshot or barely winged the silhouette.

what is your tone here?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:18 am 

I have not been impressed with most "tactical" gloves. One of my first purchases after basic (aside from good boots) was a pair of high speed gloves. Whether you go with cheap or high dollar brands, used for training or deployment, they all seem to wear out in 3-6 months. Now I just use issued Nomex flyer's gloves (like these: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-us-military-surplus-nomex-flyers-gloves.aspx?a=691333) and replace at the first signs of wearing out so I don't end up freezing my ass off on a mountain with bare fingers sticking through my gloves again. :x

I get them for free, and stack them deep. Some guys cut the cuffs off, but I leave them as is. Roll them up when it gets hot, roll em down and tuck them into your sleeves when it's cold. Add merino glove liners (I use these: http://us.icebreaker.com/Oasis-Glove-Liners/IBM207001L,en,pd.html?start=2&cgid=mens-gloves) if necessary.

Nomex = I don't worry about my gloves melting to my hand if I brush the FSB, have to grab a hot barrel, etc. If I was in a more urban setting I would probably want something with more protection on the knuckles. As always, YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:22 am 

I bought a pair of Camelbak Max Grip NT which have full leather hands and Kevlar reinforcement among other features. I can't really give a review on how well they work (because I haven't really used them for anything, yet) but they feel awesome. They run a bit small and with OR gloves I'm a medium but the Camelbak's fit perfect in a large. They are real tight without being constrictive, so dexterity is not inhibited (as much as can expected while wearing gloves). Normally the retail value on these is $117 (I think) on the Camelbak website, but I snagged mine on Ebay for $15 with free shipping!

Those black gloves with the knuckle guards (in the pics above) look like dirt bike gloves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:49 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

so far the mpact coyotes seem to be the pair I like the most. Looks like i am ordering online though.No one here is carrying them.

Wal marthas the standard mechanix I was using. No other styles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:18 am 

desert fox wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Cowhides were great...

what is your tone here?

FWIW, I read him as no bs, just get to the point; not deliberately gruff or abrasive but not making it a point to avoid upsetting anyone if they don't like what he says. With a little Sid the Sloth mixed in for good measure (that old avatar of yours is stuck in my brain, Doc, sorry).

Anyhoo, in my experience (which falls well short of his, I assure you), he's right--leather work gloves are great for rougher work, not so great for work requiring more dexterity or precision in the fingers. Cheap leather work gloves =/= great shooting gloves, right tool for the right job, that sort of thing. Not speaking for Doc, but I'll concede that there may be an excpetion that I'm not familiar with, but it's probably going to be significantly more expensive.

:)

Beowolf wrote:
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.

wee drop o' bush wrote:
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

desert fox wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Cowhides were great...

what is your tone here?

Dennis Leary has a song about my tone. It's pretty simple, leather gloves are shit for much beyond yard work. They don't give you the dexterity or grip (grip is fucking huge in a "tactical" glove) that a better designed glove does.

Let me make this about three paragraphs shorter. $10 leather work gloves are about on par with $2 USGI surplus canvas slings in terms of real world utility. Now to be completely honest, the shooting gloves I was issued in boot were much nicer than what you generally find at the hardware store. They were designed for shooting the KD course, which is why you weren't really supposed to wear one on your shooting hand, but there's a reason nobody wore those if they didn't have to. you can't hold on to your dick wearing them, much les operate a GPS, do a smooth magazine change, or quickly get something out of your pack. IF you have to take your gloves on to do all of those things, it's time for a new pair of gloves.

My litmus test for dexterity is to get a pack out of my pocket or admin pouch, get my lighter, and light a cigarette wiht my gloves on. Preparing and eating an MRE is also a good test.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:58 am 

Yeah because EVERYONE in this thread is purely discussing tacticool :roll:

People were talking about work gloves "concrete and steel"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:08 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Well the thread was titled "Tactical gloves" so I kinda thought that was the thread target.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:10 am 

desert fox wrote:
Yeah because EVERYONE in this thread is purely discussing tacticool :roll:

People were talking about work gloves "concrete and steel"

To be fair, that same post also mentioned entry/clearing missions. :wink:

It's all good, brother, there are some things that leather gloves do well, and some things that Mechanix/tactical gloves do well. Going off of what the OP said, though, this seems to be one of those that doesn't seem suited for leather work gloves--that's just my opinion, though, if you think there's a case to be made for leather work gloves for this, go for it. Heck, if the OP is doing clean-up projects or something, it couldn't hurt to have a pair of each, maybe. :)

Beowolf wrote:
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.

wee drop o' bush wrote:
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:12 pm 

I've never had a pair of "tactical gloves" that have held up. Mechanix on the other hand.... I've got a pair of Fast Fit's that I've had for years.

AR15 Adviser.com