Whats the big frigen deal?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

sigma42

Whats the big frigen deal?

Post by sigma42 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:39 pm

What is the big deal about using "Mil surplus camouflage" or "Tactical Black" gear?

I've been reading all kinds of stuff, and all kinds of opinions all over the web. Things like "don't look like the guy that knows what he is doing" or "don't wear black you wont be able to hide"

My train of thought is, If I look Like what I am doing Holding my AR and a glock on my lbv, people will leave me alone.

If I look like Joe Blow, I am going to get my ass kicked or killed for my mountain style backpack and all my gear.

So yea I want to look like a bad ass mother ****ing, crazy ass SOB so people will stay away from me. Its going to be Barbra and Don happy home makers that will be hit first.

I'm a Mormon and our church teaches Home preparedness, the one thing that don't teach is to keep your mouth shut about what you have.

A guy that I once worked with told me, "I don't need to prepare for anything, except for plenty of ammo and guns, because I know where all the Mormons are and when I need something their first on my shopping list.

So whats the big deal about looking like a bad ass mother****ing, crazy ass SOB, that every one is going to stay away from?

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Re: Whats the big frigen deal?

Post by Hoppy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:46 pm

cool story bro. tell it again.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:18 pm

I dont know what everyone else wants to look like, and I never much cared. :crazy:

I'm going to look like ...well nothing actually. The dense woods is about 15 yards from my door. then im not going to be seeing anybody for quite a while, till I link up later with fam. same for them. a bunch of chameleons in the shadows.

So since thats the case for our folks... wear what you want. You wont offend us. We just dont believe in armed conflict for the sake of perpetuating insanity or stealing a few cans of mixed veggies. The best place to be in a shootout is somewhere else besides there. :awesome:

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Since I don't plan on bugging out, unless my house burns down or the Zombie hordes break thru my fortress ( read chain link fence) . I haven't given it much thought on what i buy or wear, I usually Buy for durability and usefulness.

But I figure if I have to bug out I have my urban Camo ready to go...this way i don't have to worry about being tactical or grey man or the naked psycho walking down the street....

Fortitudine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland!

Post by Fortitudine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Wait...

WHAT?
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? ... Has Great Britain any enemy in this quarter of the world to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other."
-Patrick Henry

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:36 pm

People shoot at tanks. You are not more badass than a tank.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:40 pm

But seriously.. Looking tactical and showing a lot of expensive gear and equipment makes you a bigger target, blending in and looking like every other joe blow on the street makes you less of a target. just my 2 cents

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:41 pm

alpha_texas1969 wrote:But seriously.. Looking tactical and showing a lot of expensive gear and equipment makes you a bigger target, blending in and looking like every other joe blow on the street makes you less of a target. just my 2 cents
Citation?

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:People shoot at tanks. You are not more badass than a tank.
I wish this place had reputation I could give. That's a big ol' bingo of a response! :lol:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:50 pm

OP you could always try what Selco's buddy did. :crazy:

Also one thing helped, in first period, he collected 5-6 bodies, badly dismembered by shells, put them in front of his house, and put word on the street that “some guys messed with him, but he called his powerful friends and that friends made example of that guys to not mess with him”.

http://shtfschool.com/survival-psycholo ... chameleon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Hmmmm - I think the question you want answered isn't the question(s) you asked. If I may paraphrase, you want some justification/rationalization of your desire to buy and wear cool 'black ops' looking gear, put it on and pretend to shoot bad guys/zombies. I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with an element of 'bad assery' - everyone needs 'play time'. If you want a group of strangers to tell you that that sort of equipment is useful/helpful in an emergency situation, you're probably in the wrong place.

Since the OP is pretty new I'll state the obvious - This forum is all about emergency preparedness - zombies are a fun metaphor.

If I may make a suggestion, figure out what exactly you are preparing for and make the preparations you feel are necessary. Get the equipment you feel comfortable using. If that includes bad ass mil-surplus stuff or kickass black molle vest then good for you. Just be prepared for some honest criticism.

Fortitudine

Post by Fortitudine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
alpha_texas1969 wrote:But seriously.. Looking tactical and showing a lot of expensive gear and equipment makes you a bigger target, blending in and looking like every other joe blow on the street makes you less of a target. just my 2 cents
Citation?
See, e.g., what Uncle Bob said once.
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? ... Has Great Britain any enemy in this quarter of the world to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other."
-Patrick Henry

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Fortitudine wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Citation?
History has generally showed that if it's bad enough to worry about ne'er do wells actively after people with guns, it's generally bad enough that everyone is a target, and therefore being "grey" or being Billy Badass generally fail in equal numbers. To wit, if I am desperate enough to kill Joe Doorkicker for his M4 and gear, then looking like you're no threat at all probably isn't going to help your chances because I'm after things and you have them. I don't know who uncle Bob was but he might have taken some time to study refugees.

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Citation?
Personal experiance.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:04 pm

alpha_texas1969 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Citation?
Personal experiance.
Lived through many societal collapses have you?

Fortitudine

Post by Fortitudine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Fortitudine wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Citation?
History has generally showed that if it's bad enough to worry about ne'er do wells actively after people with guns, it's generally bad enough that everyone is a target, and therefore being "grey" or being Billy Badass generally fail in equal numbers. To wit, if I am desperate enough to kill Joe Doorkicker for his M4 and gear, then looking like you're no threat at all probably isn't going to help your chances because I'm after things and you have them. I don't know who uncle Bob was but he might have taken some time to study refugees.
That was sarcasm, meant to suggest that there is no support for such a claim; that his argument was meritless. Personally, I don't put any thought into how I will look if/when I'm bugging out. When our lives are on the line, I will be focused on my training, not my clothing.
-Patrick Henry

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
alpha_texas1969 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Citation?
Personal experiance.
Lived through many societal collapses have you?
HAHAHAHAHA, Not that i can recall! there are other cases where looking like the crowd keeps you out of the limelight. such as LEO's on UC. Or not wearing a huge diamond ring and a rolex while trying to get food stamps!

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:20 pm

I had a response to this same thing once before. Let me try to paraphrase from memory.

If you are alone and looking all uber tactical, someone's going to put a bullet through the back of your head and roll you for your shit. How do I know that? Because I would in their shoes.

If you're walking alone all grey man you'd probably get stopped and we'd search you. Probably cut your throat, or you'd end up going for your gun and the guy who's had you in his sights the entire time puts two or three rounds through your chest.

Your best bet in this awful grid down end of the world scenario is to not be alone. If I was a predator I'd look for certain things. How big is the group? Are they openly armed with rifles? Do they move with organization and purpose? How do they hold themselves with their weapons? How alert and aware of their surroundings do they appear to be?

These things would be far more important than how kitted out they appeared to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Fortitudine wrote:
That was sarcasm, meant to suggest that there is no support for such a claim; that his argument was meritless. Personally, I don't put any thought into how I will look if/when I'm bugging out. When our lives are on the line, I will be focused on my training, not my clothing.
who would you notice first walking down the street, someone dressed in regular street clothing, the tactical mall ninja or a naked guy with an AK.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:24 pm

alpha_texas1969 wrote:
who would you notice first walking down the street, someone dressed in regular street clothing, the tactical mall ninja or a naked guy with an AK.
Well that would depend entirely on your areas demographic.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Rev wrote:
alpha_texas1969 wrote:

Good point, lets say midday on main street mayberry USA

Fortitudine

Post by Fortitudine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:34 pm

alpha_texas1969 wrote:who would you notice first walking down the street, someone dressed in regular street clothing, the tactical mall ninja or a naked guy with an AK
First, define "regular clothing." Second, when someone asks if you have support for an argument, they are asking for an outside source, not your own impromptu reasoning. Third, you're not going to sell me on "grey man." I focus on training, not appearance. if you feel that blending in with the crowd will serve you better, go for it.
Last edited by Fortitudine on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Patrick Henry

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:35 pm

alpha_texas1969 wrote:
Rev wrote:
alpha_texas1969 wrote:

In a societal collpase? Both, because you moved and you have things and I want them.

Day to day? Doesn't matter, because I don't live in Mayberry not do I roll with my M4 on my back day to day.

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:41 pm

alpha_texas1969 wrote:
Rev wrote:
alpha_texas1969 wrote:

When I wrote parking tickets I would catch people looks at my belt to see if I was a cop. These days I come into contact with people that literally speak to my gun rather than my face. Guns attract attention, period. If I was trying to sneak around, I would would conceal whatever I had, but if SHTF and I wasn't trying to do my job, then I wouldn't be moving out in the open unless my life depended on it (or those that I would risk my life for). Desperate people do desperate things, best to avoid them.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

Return to “Bug Out Gear”