It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:46 pm 

We went through a management change at work and the new guys decided to discontinue the policy of providing minivans for field work. Since I'm responsible for gas and will be paid mileage, I elected to go with a much smaller vehicle to maximize the amount in the car repair fund. Due to the fact that this climate is blessed with some pretty harsh winter weather I decided that a second subaru forester would be a good idea given the combination of the 4 cylinder engine and the all wheel drive.

Our previous work vans were all dodge grand caravans. They removed (or stowed) the third row seat and this allowed a cavernous amount of gear without even touching the middle seat. I traditionally had a full sized hiking backpack (eureka getaway 3800) and a 5 gallon water jug. In the new car I have a lot less space to work with. I need to have the capability to fold both seats down and fill the volume of the car with work equipment.

The full size backpack is in the way.

I recently ordered 12 East German rain camo assault packs. Why 12? They were pretty cheap. I've bought enough surplus stuff to know that sometimes you get a few junky ones.

It turns out that I was right to do so. Some of the packs have a heavy duty reinforced plastic lining, but most of them didn't. All of them were in excellent shape, and very ruggedly constructed.

In light of the new vehicle, I realized that the foot wells in the back seat would fit several of the packs without interfering with the cargo capacity. (None of the work gear would fit there anyway)

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:17 pm 

The first bag contains an Italian wool blanket and a small ifak. The second contains a British bcb individual canteen system. Fuel tablets, heet, and a few mountain house packets and some jerky and instant coffee. The third has a military reinforced mylar casualty blanket, a Swiss alpenflage poncho, 550 cord, a watch cap and some socks. Also a small tool kit including an old leather man super tool, a zippo with extra fuel and flints, a minimag, and a gerber saw.

Under the rear cargo area there is a small space where I can keep more traditional car type emergency items such as jumper cables, road flares, a 12 volt mini air compressor and a 6x8 poly tarp.

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 am 

Nice choice of vehicle!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:07 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Useful.
I have some of the DDR gear myself, converted the pack to a messenger bag (this stops me from overloading it). Looking to get another couple to mod into panniers

I find the water bottle stupidly small though and I think one was the standard to issue....Good job those guys never had to fight a real war.

Winner, PMBoB

LowKey wrote:
INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:57 am 

Yeah, those bottles are small. Sg listed them as 'about a quart'. But in reality they're about 24 oz. I traditionally have half a dozen assorted pop bottles floating around my car anyway. They range from 20 oz to two liter bottles. All of these could be easily filled from the 5gal water can. I put a couple of the rain canteens on because 1) they matched. 2) I have 30+ of them rattling around in a box in my basement from an impulse buy a few years ago. 3) the metal cups when combined with the osprey cups from the bcb kit will allow me instant coffee service for four. ;)

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've been thinking of using my bottle for fuel, seeing as I lost the mug and use the pouch for holding something else. I have a couple of '58 pattern bottles and a bladder for water, 0.75 ltr of bio-eth should be plenty

Winner, PMBoB

LowKey wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:22 am 

The plastic seems like it is similar to the Swedish fuel bottles from the military trangia kits. The cap is certainly better. It's worth a try, just be sure to check over time to make sure the seal holds up to the alcohol. The Swedish ones are marked 'poison' 'extremely flammable' and 'warning' in Swedish.

I had a bad experience with denatured alcohol in an old bpa lexan Nalgene bottle a few years ago. Some time after I drained it the entire bottle crazed like a broken car window. It crumbled in my hand.

These days I just throw a couple of bottles of methanol heet into the car kits and call it good.

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:06 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'll give it a go then, it doesn't owe me anything
I keep most of my liquid fuels in half gallon metal 'Meths cans....My current ready use container is a re-purposed mouthwash bottle (not to get the two confused )

Not sure if you can buy Heet in the UK

Winner, PMBoB

LowKey wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:46 am 

I thought I would post an update showing what I keep in the kit. Here is a multi-part youTube series.

http://youtu.be/nFBb_nB_rbY

http://youtu.be/E-V3sxGx-lk

http://youtu.be/2f3tQJ6Q-vE

http://youtu.be/uCj3RlWnAzo

http://youtu.be/VcrMZyEHzZA

http://youtu.be/nxpvg3huZ9w

http://youtu.be/Be9JXE-NoTU

Ok so a fair bit of viewing I know... One thing that I want to point out regarding philosophy of use... This is not a 'grab and go' kit. I intent it to be dipped into as needed for minor scenarios. If I needed to abandon the car I guess I'm betting that I will have a few minutes to select gear. If I need to abandon the car then I have the Kelty redwing that can be filled. One of the german packs combined with the shoulder strap from the Swedish mess kit bag can make a fair sized haversack. Any other vehicle occupants can be outfitted with one or more of the german bags allowing more gear to be spread evenly. This last scenario is in my view the least likely. And a scenario where I have to abandon the car on very short notice is less likelier still.

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:47 pm 

ForgeCorvus wrote:
I'll give it a go then, it doesn't owe me anything
I keep most of my liquid fuels in half gallon metal 'Meths cans....My current ready use container is a re-purposed mouthwash bottle (not to get the two confused )

Not sure if you can buy Heet in the UK

Find gas line deicer at an auto supply shop. Find the MSDS Sheet for that particular product. They may have it in the shop. If not, check with the product manufacturer. The yellow bottle HEET lists it's ingredients as 99% methanol and 1% proprietary ingredient.

Whatever is available in your area something with similar contents will work.

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit