Suggestions for my I.N.C.H. Fishing module

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Shadowalker

Suggestions for my I.N.C.H. Fishing module

Post by Shadowalker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:03 pm

In my bag I have everything broken down to modules contained in canvas drawstring bags ( some things waterproof backpack bags)

The Fishing bag weighs in at 2.9 pounds. Contains supplies for trotlines, frog spear, a 76x5 foot gillnet w/ 1x1 inch mesh. (1.75 inch diagonal)60 snelled for immediate deploy and about 200 various sized hooks, corks to float the baited lines up off the bottom. The idea being to cut and tie a small sapling and then split it inside the ties into a cage for a rock weight to toss the lines out and tie off at the bank. Power worms are for the quick deploy. I know how to pound worms and collect aquatic baits. Everything to get a couple lines with a dozen hooks each, out and working within an hour. Basically giving myself the first two runs easy then work from there. The Braided dacron line is in groups of 3- 150, then 80 and then 50 pound test. I figured to use one of the 450 foot spools of 50# to build fish and crawdad basket traps later on. There are two spools of 12 pound monofiliment for 2,200 yards. I figured use some of that for crawdad traps as well, but mostly for hook leaders. Not shown are the two plastic snap lids for the bait collecting cans.

There are a lot of things missing, but im trying to hold down the weight as much as possible. The things I know I need bad are going to be added before i put it away.

1. About 300 or so 3x3 and 6x6 squares of fabric. (to make rocks into sinkers)
2. about 4-6 hundred more hooks.

So any tips of advice is welcome. I'm trying to stay under 3.5 pounds. Obviously with those components a lot of various things can be accomplished when you add in all the things like sticks and rocks nature provides. I dont want to add things like Yo-yos that will add weight and just be a duplication that is less efficient with one hook vs a dozen on a line. I also am looking at stealth. Tying off a trotline under the water is better than having a yo-yo hanging in plain sight if that makes sense.

ironraven

Re: Suggestions for my I.N.C.H. Fishing module

Post by ironraven » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Shadowalker wrote:The Fishing bag weighs in at 2.9 pounds.
2.9 pounds of fishing supplies.... Well, you are catching the spirit of the INCH.

I have to ask, how heavy is the rest of it?
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Its heavy. :crazy: 88 pounds without water and including 8 propak Mountain house meals to get started on. Not including firearm or ammo. 1022 and 500 which isn't too bad. Have a bob in the truck which is a good AK match. I will post up my trapping module too, but fish are the fastest producer and im figuring that's a solid focus for the long haul as well. Trapping tends to take several days to start producing.

Think I'm missing a lot of component items/ideas and like this set, have to go back through and lighten everything up quite a bit. Get rid of the paper tubes and make hanks. I think I might want to swap out a spool of mono for 6# test.

Not really sure about a lot of things so i'm fishing for suggestions more than anything. The INCH concept is a whole different animal and you have to have a pretty solid set of woodscrafting skills so you can bring the missing resources into play from whats out there and available to make up for what you cant carry.

I'm reworking each portion, one at a time. If people are interested I will keep putting pics up. This is about the only site where I have seen the INCH concept even grasped properly so i'm here :lol:

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:47 pm

My god man! That is dedication! Seriously I applaud you. But a couple things. Why so you have FULL spools of fishing line??? Wouldn't it be better to perhaps take a sewing spool and wrap the monofilament on that? Then take the other cordage and wrap that around something else it to make it smaller? Also why such a large net? I'm not sure of your AO but personally I'd got it in half around my AO streams would probably be the best followed by lake but with such a large net that's going to be hell to use by yourself.

Really don't see much of anything that you need.... Maybe some other bait? Maybe one of those selfreeling devices. Again without knowing AO it's hard to know what you might need.

And seriously if that's your fishing module I can't wait to see your others!!!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:02 am

Halfapint wrote:My god man! That is dedication! Seriously I applaud you. But a couple things. Why so you have FULL spools of fishing line??? Wouldn't it be better to perhaps take a sewing spool and wrap the monofilament on that? Then take the other cordage and wrap that around something else it to make it smaller? Also why such a large net? I'm not sure of your AO but personally I'd got it in half around my AO streams would probably be the best followed by lake but with such a large net that's going to be hell to use by yourself.

Really don't see much of anything that you need.... Maybe some other bait? Maybe one of those selfreeling devices. Again without knowing AO it's hard to know what you might need.

And seriously if that's your fishing module I can't wait to see your others!!!
One thing I forgot to explain. The dacron woven line is ice fishing line. Its high abrasive resistance and doesn't lose it breaking test in frozen conditions.

Oh the line is to make leaders off the cordage. I also figured on using it for lots of other small things, Or things I wouldn't want to waste paracord or braided dacron for. Cordage in a finite volume needs to be used carefully. Its the difference between making it and making it with amenities lol. AO is still up in the air. Right now we are assuming the dry east slopes of the cascades as the furthest.but up far higher than the water. couple hundred feet at least. I just got Strategic Relocation 3rd edition so its toss a few wrenches into the old plans.

Obviously neither trotlines or gillnets are legal here. Knowing how to use them and having stock on hand is critical in the INCH plan. The gillnet is sized for the 8" breakfast trout. Those are cheap throw away nets. The mesh is very fine at about 3# test so floating logs can just push right through lol. its also something you need to be judicious with. if you spot two dozen fish and set up a drive, then you take 4. and dont fish there again. Those cheap nets can be cut up very easily into sections for the size water. One person would need a boat to handle a full one.

Now that you mentioned bait. I need ideas there. I assume they can sit and be rotated out with fresh after 5 years or so.
I never use artificial bait, so I dont have any experience other than I watched someone do very well with the power worms. I could use some tips on good long lasting artificial baits.

The reason i'm asking isn't so much for me. I know I can do just fine with the things I select. But I'm helping my sister duplicate my bag. she has the same bag and the same almost everything. She has a lot less skills and I can use the help on tips and additions that might help her along. For instance, I pretied half of her trotlines with loops. She can bait and loop a snelled hook easy and I drew her a picture of how to lay the lines out on the bank so when you toss your weight none of the hooks tangle going out. things like that. Getting her to where she actually can. She knows to drag the bottom with a mono break away on the end of a line so she doesnt lose the baited lines and things.

I thought may be marshmallows may actually work these days. never did 25 years ago but things change. Any of those sorts of tips that can up her odds is actually what im after. Sme things like the mono line she has 1,000 yards instead of two spools like me to keep her weight down.

Maggot62
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by Maggot62 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:18 am

I really can't add much, the fishing kit in my INCH is less than a pound. I would recommend swivels, and I think 200 hooks might be a little shy. In my AO I not only use limb lines but also "jug", using salvaged plastic bottles and other floats. I appreciate your post as I'm am now rethinking my kit, and I'm looking forward to seeing what kit you have set up for snaring,trapping.
"Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable".
George S. Patton

“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.”
Sun Tzu The Art of War

"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one”.
Jesus Luke 22:36

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:58 am

That seems like a bunch of stuff. Granted the cordage and fishing line is so darn useful for other applications. You do know how to do simple braiding and a two strand twist? This way all that line could be employed in even more tasks. How you ever halfed that gig to a stick or an axe to a handle etc etc etc. You probably do but it doesn't hurt to inquire. You would surprised how many people pack gear they never used.

Ok with that out of the way here is what I would add.

1. Green Woolie bugger flies. Nearly everything takes them and yea don't need a fly rod to work one. Black or brown also works but IMHO not as well.

2. Small #10 and #12 hooks.

3. Experiment with a hand caster. A Nalgene or soda bottle works rather well. I made this hand caster from items found during a winter scrounging outing. The bobber and fishing line were within my kit.

4. Experiment with DIY field made fishing poles. Safety pins make for good fishing rod guides. Some of your thread and pine pitch glue could connect the guides to a sapling. A DIY fishing pole can be deadly in little brooks for working pools. Someplace I have a video of the process.

I have some more suggestions but it is getting late so will check out this thread over the weekend.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:59 am

That seems like a bunch of stuff. Granted the cordage and fishing line is so darn useful for other applications. You do know how to do simple braiding and a two strand twist? This way all that line could be employed in even more tasks. How you ever halfed that gig to a stick or an axe to a handle etc etc etc. You probably do but it doesn't hurt to inquire. You would surprised how many people pack gear they never used.

No not that frog tip. We got all new ones for the packs. I had a much better one but it rusted over the years and it seems like all they sell now is the cheap ones like that. I dont think this kind can hold up to spearing a good sized fish. frogs and little things They arent very strong anymore. I work with a hawk and a knife quite well for the wood. My sis, not so much. I have taught her how to bait and string lines in the woods so she can take pheasants, grouse, quail etc. Sh also knows how to string them along the water edges for ducks and geese

Ok with that out of the way here is what I would add.

1. Green Woolie bugger flies. Nearly everything takes them and yea don't need a fly rod to work one. Black or brown also works but IMHO not as well.

On the fence on lures. I know weighted and float combo lines will take a lot of fish with small size curly tail jigs. But I went with just hooks because I can rattle charm and pound for worms so I can get a never ending supply anywhere i go. It doesn't take long to make a rattle rod but you have to dry and harden it by the fire.baits to give a couple days buffer to get those things ready.

2. Small #10 and #12 hooks.
The gold ones in the box and the corner group are all small sizes. Egg up to steelhead seem the be the best sizes. Will be adding a few hundred more.

3. Experiment with a hand caster. A Nalgene or soda bottle works rather well. I made this hand caster from items found during a winter scrounging outing. The bobber and fishing line were within my kit.

We have ruled out active methods. Limiting the exposure in the open is the focus so passive methods are what we are after.

4. Experiment with DIY field made fishing poles. Safety pins make for good fishing rod guides. Some of your thread and pine pitch glue could connect the guides to a sapling. A DIY fishing pole can be deadly in little brooks for working pools. Someplace I have a video of the process.

There again, we are working passive. I have considered a small 3' size casting net but there again we dont want to be out and exposed for any longer than possible.

mough

Post by mough » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:41 am

Wow that is allot of stuff.

I would probably lose some of the soft plastics, I've never had much luck with them. Gulp is awesome though. Maybe add a can or two of that?

Redbad

Post by Redbad » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:52 am

In an INCH situation you will primarily be fishing for food, not pleasure. A gill net is going to be a lot more efficient at catching fish than any hook/line setup that you might have (all fish big enough to be caught in the mesh of the gill net will be caught -- which is why they tend to be illegal except for commercial fishing) and you don't need bait. You might want to go with additional gill nets with larger mesh to target larger fish. Gill nets can be fished under the ice if you live where the water freezes over (if this is the case, you will need something in your INCH kit that will allow you to efficiently place holes in ice -an axe will probably not be sufficient).

As you will be using hook and line as well, you will need swivels (in a current your line WILL get twisted and tangled if you don't have swivels) in several sizes -- say #1, #3, #6, and #10), snaps, and weights of various sizes.

Keep in mind that you will need to move from location to location as you fish out an area.
KD8EIB

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks to everyone so far. I'm actually writing everything down in a notebook, regardless of if I think I can use the info or not. Like I said, i'm comfortable enough for just me but now i'm doing the same for someone else. Need to be certain things are covered a little better if there are any upgrades to be made.

We are also set up to car bug with a lot more gear. I have a mt bike and a cargo trailer as well if the motors stop.

For folks that worry on bait, a good worm grabber can be made very easily from hard wood and dried next to a fire. The key is to drive it into the ground about 4 inches. This vid has a commercial one but there isn't any point in packing and carrying wooden things into the woods with you when you can make one there lol

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Redbad wrote:In an INCH situation you will primarily be fishing for food, not pleasure. A gill net is going to be a lot more efficient at catching fish than any hook/line setup that you might have (all fish big enough to be caught in the mesh of the gill net will be caught -- which is why they tend to be illegal except for commercial fishing) and you don't need bait. You might want to go with additional gill nets with larger mesh to target larger fish. Gill nets can be fished under the ice if you live where the water freezes over (if this is the case, you will need something in your INCH kit that will allow you to efficiently place holes in ice -an axe will probably not be sufficient).

As you will be using hook and line as well, you will need swivels (in a current your line WILL get twisted and tangled if you don't have swivels) in several sizes -- say #1, #3, #6, and #10), snaps, and weights of various sizes.

Keep in mind that you will need to move from location to location as you fish out an area.
Once the ice comes in the mts here its pretty much over and time go down lower. I have cut loose and floated ice with a potato bar and a splitting maul. That's not going to work with our tomahawks lol. Only thing left there is to drop elevation before it ices over.

I dont have issues with the spinning and tangling. Pulled a few balls of line out before. :wink: But for my sis the swivels are going to be important on the main line. gives a point for snagged hooks to snap free as well. Will try to find blackened stainless or get some and paint then up. thanks for the viewpoint. I have used those trot lines with the pre-installed swivels and they are just constant wear points so you buy more lines lol. the loops and swivels are good.

Coming out of my mind set, and re-working things for her, is only gonna happen if I stow the pride and ask for help figuring things out. Now with other people on board I have to make the very best decisions for them instead of just me.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:25 pm

First thing. Welcome to ZS. :)

1. You have almost 3 lbs of fishing stuff and looking to add 200-300 hooks and you're on the fence about adding lures? Honestly? You're not pulling my leg are yea. LOL! Goofy youtube videos not withstanding there are times when live bait is hard to come by. I don't know your AO but that has been my observation after 35 years of fishing. So you want to limit your options with such a large fishing kit. Do you have winter? Dry periods?

3. You have once again decide to limit your options within your massively large fishing kit to comply with a situation that hasn't occurred therefor your true needs remain unknown. I do understand the concept of setting traps and lines/nets to free up time to accomplish other tasks but that won't make you invisible. Are you living in the area or just passing though? Do you honestly think I would miss a gill net if walking down a river or stream? Even a trout line can be seen. The same applies to traps. Do you think I couldn't work out your location? Then again why bother? I know exactly where you will be soon enough. There is no reason to limit your options with such a large kit.

For example this Yellow perch was caught on the fly in about 30 seconds during a hike. A fly, bobber, canteen and line.

30 seconds later I got a sunfish.

Or a pack fishing pole. This Brookie took about 5 minutes.

This trout was caught within 10 minutes using a DIY fishing pole I made on site which can be seen on the ground off to the right. It has the Y tip and a field made guide

By the time you hump....thump or whatever for worms, setup those lines or net I might be long gone without the need to come back if that was my wish. It goes without saying these example are optimal. Sometimes I don't catch anything even with the best fishing gear all day however it is about having options. The more the better IMHO.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Gurthy

Post by Gurthy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:39 pm

What about yo-yos (automatic fishers)?

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:29 pm

Woods Walker wrote:First thing. Welcome to ZS. :)

1. You have almost 3 lbs of fishing stuff and looking to add 200-300 hooks and you're on the fence about adding lures? Honestly? You're not pulling my leg are yea. LOL! Goofy youtube videos not withstanding there are times when live bait is hard to come by. I don't know your AO but that has been my observation after 35 years of fishing. So you want to limit your options with such a large fishing kit. Do you have winter? Dry periods?

A. Coastal rainforest. Buddy of mine who passed couple years ago was LRRP in the late 60s. He taught me everything about hunting and finding humans in remote wilderness. Doing the opposite of what other people do is the plan. 8-) There is a methodology to not being found. Means staying away from water for the most part, and limiting your trips to very infrequent, both to collect water and more so to places to collect fish. That's the primary reasoning. Though i'm asking to figure out what other folks think as well as pick up any tips from their experiences. I do have two very large multi drawer tackle boxes, so I could pilfer a ton of stuff from them at no cost. One is ocean gear and the other is freshwater.

3. You have once again decide to limit your options within your massively large fishing kit to comply with a situation that hasn't occurred therefor your true needs remain unknown. I do understand the concept of setting traps and lines/nets to free up time to accomplish other tasks but that won't make you invisible. Are you living in the area or just passing though? Do you honestly think I would miss a gill net if walking down a river or stream? Even a trout line can be seen. The same applies to traps. Do you think I couldn't work out your location? Then again why bother? I know exactly where you will be soon enough. There is no reason to limit your options with such a large kit.

A. Now those are all good questions. The INCH concept infers you are a refugee of sorts. No further resupply. We are looking at some pretty vast tracts of extremely dense forest, but still would be hiding our cooking smells in the rising thermals and avoiding where others would normally be going. I dont see being able to go longer than a few years really, but the assumption is never going back and a deterioration among people to the point of having to stay away from virtually everyone. The gillnet is obviously going to be spotted if its used for anything other tan a quick seining session. plus they are kind of throw aways anyway. The thought on that would be break it out in an emergency. For a couple oz it seemed like a good add.

For example this Yellow perch was caught on the fly in about 30 seconds during a hike. A fly, bobber, canteen and line.

30 seconds later I got a sunfish.

Or a pack fishing pole. This Brookie took about 5 minutes.

This trout was caught within 10 minutes using a DIY fishing pole I made on site which can be seen on the ground off to the right. It has the Y tip and a field made guide

True, I actually have done really well just working off a spool of line before. I didn't mention we all have those little pen fishing poles and reels. I dont see them holding up very long though. there is a small ziplock with each. a few tiny trout spoons, couple rooster tails etc. I'm sure thinking that improvised hook eye is something to consider. Light and a few take up no room at all. T

By the time you hump....thump or whatever for worms, setup those lines or net I might be long gone without the need to come back if that was my wish. It goes without saying these example are optimal. Sometimes I don't catch anything even with the best fishing gear all day however it is about having options. The more the better IMHO.
Yes but thats the whole point. Collect a large enough amount of fish to smoke and keep for two weeks and not go back every day. Go to the waters edge as night is falling, do the set and pick it up before first light. Collect drinking water to filter in concealed digs at the very source, not down lower where the water is running. That sort of plan.Everything revolving around cutting risk.

I'm listening though. I will snap a pick of the stuff that gets added and then get an approximate weight of everything.

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Gurthy wrote:What about yo-yos (automatic fishers)?

Everyone swears by these. 1/2 dozen are 12 oz. Thats not too bad. Its on the list. going to kick everything around.

Going back to the edge of the water thing, but then again like like Woods Walker just mentioned, Im holding on hard and fast to an assumption things will go all the way bad.

That was a very good point to make. Never made any allowances for any other degrees of disruption, and wrote off a lot of options without reasonable cause.

I may have done that under the assumption that a I have a lot of other things covered in the car bug out already.

What you need to understand is that bag and gear will be close to or top 100#. I have humped it a couple times on trial runs. And what you can expect is needing far more water than a 35-40 pound bug out bag. About 5-6 liters per day if the temps are not high.

The second thing is with that large of gear pack you will drop anywhere from 1-3 pounds of body weight per day. That means you have to go static fairly soon to avoid running yourself into the ground.

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:02 am

I think it’s a great start, although your pack weight is quite a bit and something to constantly evaluate. My older bug out bag (Kifaru EMR plus a piggy-backed Scout) was over 90 pounds. It was more of a storage bag that was hauled to the tuck and even after a few miles on an improved trail, it wears you down. The INCH concept is a good approach, but when your weight exceeds you capability, I would strongly consider a cache.

My concept is a smaller, mobile fishing/snaring kit but I keep more gear in a separate bag that could be ditched or cached at a couple of BO locations I’ve planned. It includes larger passive food collection such as the gill nets, Yo-Yos, snares, etc.

Either way, you’re covering the basics of hooks and line. The gill nets are very effective and I have a slightly larger one I’m going to try in my little pond. Other passive measure work well when static and allow you to multitask.

I like the Yo-Yo reels, but I’ve found the Speedhooks more effective and much lighter. I’ve carried a half dozen and put them out at night and check them in the morning and I’ve consistently caught a few bream. I’ve found the Yo-Yo’s more effective for bottom feeders like catfish and the Speedhooks better for top water feeders like bream/perch and trout.

Trot lines are very effective and with your lines and hooks, you could make several. As effective as trot lines are, they are pain in the ass to set up in some areas and not something you can throw out quickly; at least that’s my experience.

Most artificial worms degrade and become a messy, gooey glob. Dry flies can be very effective as some other lures that have shiny spoons and some hair…think Rooster Tail trout lures. The spoons do well at getting attention, but most are for active fishing.

ROCK6

moab

Post by moab » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:39 pm

90lbs without water or firearms/ammo is a very heavy pack. HAve you tried to hump this thing for any length? Over what kind of terrain? From my experience (Marine Corps, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting and putting together my own INCH bag) I'd say you need to go on a diet in regards to your set up. Even at 50lbs without water and ammo your very heavy. Your not going to be able to hump that thing for very long or very fast. That's an extreme amount of gear with no transport or support.

What pack are you using to carry around 100lbs+ of gear in? Just curious.

I'd ditch all the twine in your fishing kit for braided line in say 50lb test. (That isn't to say you can't use the twine in the rest of your kit. Depending on what your needs are.) Add a few small diamond jigs. And what else you have there. And I'd say your set. I'd also bring the volume down by using small bags instead of boxes and by winding your line onto cardboard instead of big plastic reels. If your gonna add more lures I'd go with green. I'm with WW. I don't know why but I am always most successful with the color green. Or not color at all like chrome.

I don't think your question is "how much do I need to add?". But "how can I cut this INCH down by about half?". Have you posted your complete load out yet? I think your WAY over weight IMHO.

Patrick

PS - Yoyo's are to heavy for an INCH I'd stick with speed hooks.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:37 pm

moab wrote:90lbs without water or firearms/ammo is a very heavy pack. HAve you tried to hump this thing for any length? Over what kind of terrain? From my experience (Marine Corps, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting and putting together my own INCH bag) I'd say you need to go on a diet in regards to your set up. Even at 50lbs without water and ammo your very heavy. Your not going to be able to hump that thing for very long or very fast. That's an extreme amount of gear with no transport or support.

What pack are you using to carry around 100lbs+ of gear in? Just curious.

I'd ditch all the twine in your fishing kit for braided line in say 50lb test. (That isn't to say you can't use the twine in the rest of your kit. Depending on what your needs are.) Add a few small diamond jigs. And what else you have there. And I'd say your set. I'd also bring the volume down by using small bags instead of boxes and by winding your line onto cardboard instead of big plastic reels. If your gonna add more lures I'd go with green. I'm with WW. I don't know why but I am always most successful with the color green. Or not color at all like chrome.

I don't think your question is "how much do I need to add?". But "how can I cut this INCH down by about half?". Have you posted your complete load out yet? I think your WAY over weight IMHO.

Patrick

PS - Yoyo's are to heavy for an INCH I'd stick with speed hooks.
Yep. a realistic distance is about 4-5 miles per day. Im a wide heavy boned frame, at about 245-250# and have about 25-30 pounds I can give up. That's not very much for this task, even though it sounds like a lot. Figure loss of body mass at 1-3 pounds a day moving that load. Water use goes up from 2 liters to 5-6 liters. Pack is an internal frame, commercial, mid quality from the 90s at 5,200 cu. means your collecting water constantly, and that kills your distance per day.

Yep that's the process right now. Everything trimmed down, weighed and re-evaluated. There is no respooling the line. Those are 1,000 and 1,200 yd spools. Going to put the larger cordage to hanks and drop the spools. I weighed the cotton squares and will be dropping most of the lead splits for a couple oz. There isn't any twine at all, only braided dacron ice fishing line in several weights. Its the strongest and toughest for price short of kevlar. Its really the never coming home set lol.

Talked with my sis about the weight just last night. hers is considerably smaller and less items. A lot of the things, are one way in, and deployed/and then cached for the trip out. So we are looking at the fishing and trapping things and some of the others with half staying on location. We are also fortunate there are a lot of resource heavy locations here, vs other places.

Things like the snare sets, we can easily get by with 9 snares each and anchors each and a roll of dacron and cache half. A lot of folks would think its too excessive not realizing the life of even commercial snares is very short. But the results are about 7 to 1 over bush crafted traps, and you need solid results and odds.

Plus in the real world....shit happens..... you toss out a dozen hooks, pack up to go and hear a snap as a log grabs them and heads down stream. Your gonna lose gear slowly. your INCH concept has to allow for loss because its going to happen. I know from experience, to expect a steady drain and class them as consumables.

We decided to get yo-yos and put them in the car bug out trapping and fishing bags. Looking at the speed hooks. Seem kind of expensive but everyone has had good results that mentioned them. Might add a couple each month up to a dozen. By weight they are almost nothing. Next weekend im going over to root around in my big tackle boxes. Need to fire up my gold dredge on the opener to pay for all this stuff :lol:

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Why not just get the training and develop the skills to be able to catch fish without all that stuff? A few hooks and some monofilament line would be well worth the weight and space but all that other stuff could be easily field improvised. Even the hooks and monoline could be done without, just handy.

Same for traps, you can easily set 20 field made snares in a morning and you know it’s a numbers game. 20 will have better results than 9. And field made snares are easy to replicate. You can make as many as you want or need.

Carry what makes you comfortable but skill weighs nothing.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 am

My kit is pretty light too:

2 Yoyo reels
3 Speed hooks
1 200 yard spool of 8# fishing line
50 #10 hooks
30 split shot
30 leaders
1 pack of EZ Eggs ( http://www.ezeggs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

I plan to do jugging with bottles I find on the road that others have discarded or use the ones in my INCH.

Also my INCH is down to 50# including 2 liters of water and about 10# of food. For me it's a never ending process to reduce the weight of my INCH.

Also if you have paracord in your INCH, you can pull out the inner strands and use them for multiple things, including fishing line and sutures.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 am

Doesn't the whole concept of INCH contradict the idea of setting up a smoke house for 2 weeks worth of fish? Just for you and your sister, you are looking at roughly 100 pounds of fresh fish filets (more for whole fish), smoked to ~30 pounds of storable fish, for ~1 pound a day, each.

In my AO, there are a myriad of ponds, lakes, streams and saltwater, that can be drag netted/seined to get fresh fish/turtles that most people, here, have never eaten or considered eating. Or, using a small fly on a hand line will be more productive actively fishing than trying to run a trot line and walking away since there arer no major rivers and the streams do not have large fish.

My point is that without understanding your AO, it is hard to give credible advice on what you need to change. We can only tell you what works for us.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 pm

I want to give another vote for these. In my bug out bag I have 3 (down from a dozen) and if I was really going for an INCH situation I would bring a dozen.

They will out fish most people.

You can set all twelve in under half an hour.

They don't require a lot of watching. You could set them out just after dark, and collect your fish just before dawn. No one see's you fishing.

Trotlines are great, and hard to beat, but are more for rivers that are relatively slow and not to wide (because without a boat they are a pain to set up in wide rivers that are not super shallow.). I think trotline for rigging, uh, trotlines, is important, but I sort of consider fishing yoyo's as the best alternative to trotlines if you might be fishing at ponds or lakes. They are also great for very slow moving rivers and for channel cats, but I suppose trotlines are too.

I also would say I think normal sinkers are better than squares of cloth for random pebbles as sinkers. In some places, such as swampy areas, small rocks are actually not as common as you might think.

Those easy egg things look awesome, how long do they keep?

moab

Post by moab » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Das Sheep wrote:

I want to give another vote for these. In my bug out bag I have 3 (down from a dozen) and if I was really going for an INCH situation I would bring a dozen.

They will out fish most people.

You can set all twelve in under half an hour.

They don't require a lot of watching. You could set them out just after dark, and collect your fish just before dawn. No one see's you fishing.

Trotlines are great, and hard to beat, but are more for rivers that are relatively slow and not to wide (because without a boat they are a pain to set up in wide rivers that are not super shallow.). I think trotline for rigging, uh, trotlines, is important, but I sort of consider fishing yoyo's as the best alternative to trotlines if you might be fishing at ponds or lakes. They are also great for very slow moving rivers and for channel cats, but I suppose trotlines are too.

I also would say I think normal sinkers are better than squares of cloth for random pebbles as sinkers. In some places, such as swampy areas, small rocks are actually not as common as you might think.

Those easy egg things look awesome, how long do they keep?
Have you ever used speedhooks in comparison? I ditched the yoyos from my INCH as they are just to heavy. When putting together a 3-4 season INCH bag something has to go. To much weight. I'm hoping the speedhooks are a good substitute.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Bug Out Gear”