Bump In The Night Bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NWGN

Bump In The Night Bag

Post by NWGN » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:32 am

Hey Zombie Hunters,

I'd like to ask your input on an old topic/new solution. This is the scenario: you wake up in the middle of the night and there's a threat downstairs. You've got to gear up immediately but you're in your boxers. What do you grab and how do you carry it?

Like I said, not a new subject but I think I've got a new solution. I made a prototype shoulder rig I call The Bump In The Night Bag that you can quickly throw over your shoulder and keep a pistol, magazines, phone, and light all right on your hip. You can see pictures at BITNbag.com.

I'd love to get your feedback on the idea. Is this something that would be useful to you guys? Could you see it fitting into your home invasion response plan? And if not, is there anything that you would suggest changing or tweaking to make it more useful?

Thanks a bunch.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Bump In The Night Bag

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:40 am

If you need a weapon, it needs to be in your hand. If you have time to throw all that stuff in a bag, you have time to throw on a set of pants with the phone still in the pocket. I usually sleep in a pair of cargos with the phone in a pocket so if something happens, I can just grab the gun and get moving. Light goes on the gun, mag is in the gun, spare mag can go in pocket but if I need a spare, I should have grabbed the plate carrier anyway.

Seems like a neat theory, but flawed in practice. Sorry to be the debbie downer.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:51 am

Doc you need to create tactical response sleep wear.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:55 am

Skull_Hide wrote:Doc you need to create tactical response sleep wear.
Still working on the tactical bathrobe, but for now a pair of thrift store cargos is plenty.

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:59 am

I'm thinking a Maxpedition Versipack would work just as well for storing those items, and be usable outside of the home as well.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:29 am

Seems a bit spammish however this does relate to gear so will allow the thread. I am no expert on self defense however if the situation is serious enough to warrant taking my gun odds are it would be in my hands.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:51 pm

The subject has come up before. I think the best solution I've seen proposed is a basic tactical vest kitted with your "list of stuff" - pistol, magazines, flashlight, cellphone, etc.

The theory goes, you hear a noise, you strap on the pre-loaded vest and then commence operation "Looking For Trouble".

I wouldn't personally try a bandoleer rig because of the weight positioning/displacement issue. A bandoleer can slide, shift, and rotate based on how much crap you've got strapped on. A vest is pretty much locked into place.

YMMV.
"We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:24 pm

I have a bump-in-the-night "belt", but not a bag.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NWGN

Post by NWGN » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:If you need a weapon, it needs to be in your hand.
I understand this argument and tend to agree with it, but when I was thinking about my own plan the problem I ran into was that I want a pistol, a flashlight, and a cell phone in my hands, and be able to open doors and pick up kids, so I run out of hands really fast. Some people tell me I'm over thinking things, but I think this setup gives me the best balance of speed and preparedness. The whole thing actually fits in my electronic pistol safe that I keep by my bed, so it's just as fast as if I were to just grab the pistol by itself.

NWGN

Post by NWGN » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:26 pm

TMedina wrote:The subject has come up before. I think the best solution I've seen proposed is a basic tactical vest kitted with your "list of stuff" - pistol, magazines, flashlight, cellphone, etc.
I like that idea too, but I like being a little more discreet and a little less Rambo.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:54 pm

NWGN wrote:
I understand this argument and tend to agree with it, but when I was thinking about my own plan the problem I ran into was that I want a pistol, a flashlight, and a cell phone in my hands, and be able to open doors and pick up kids, so I run out of hands really fast. Some people tell me I'm over thinking things, but I think this setup gives me the best balance of speed and preparedness. The whole thing actually fits in my electronic pistol safe that I keep by my bed, so it's just as fast as if I were to just grab the pistol by itself.
Well, like I said gun should be in your hand. Light should be on the gun. Some folks like a spare light. Cellphone goes in your pocket or whatever. Now you have one hand free. You don't need to be dialing the phone while you're holding the gun. Either you call the police before you engage, or after, but not during. Could your SO perhaps have phone duty (hopefully in addition to whatever else your SO is doing) while you go do what you're doing? That eliminates the need for a phone on you.

Other option might be a used police duty belt. They're everywhere. Big thing is you don't want to have anything that will move when its on you. Bandoleers and shoulder bags have a tendency to run away from you.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Try to get Nything out of a shoulder bag while moving sucks. I used to hunt with a possibles bag but switched to a turkey vest for that reason.

I use a shotgun for a hd situation so i have no more real input here i do however second docs suggestion on a police duty belt. Theyare extremely convienient even when at the range., and can be had fairly inexpensively. I think last time i looked at one it was 30$. Fully loaded

Gurthy

Post by Gurthy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:27 pm

A bag like this is something I've been thinking about for a while but I've not found anything quite right. I like the general design and philosophy of this.

Will the holster accept a full-size pistol with a mounted light? Will the production model be a color other than that awful UCP camo?

Like others currently I'm using a war belt for a BITN rig.

NWGN

Post by NWGN » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Gurthy wrote:Will the holster accept a full-size pistol with a mounted light? Will the production model be a color other than that awful UCP camo?
I've been getting that question a lot. What would you prefer, a model for a pistol with a light and a model for one without, or just one standard model with MOLLE straps to put your own holster on it?

Production model will most likely be black. If enough people want a "tacticool" model we might offer another in camo or olive drab.

Gurthy

Post by Gurthy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:39 pm

NWGN wrote:
Gurthy wrote:Will the holster accept a full-size pistol with a mounted light? Will the production model be a color other than that awful UCP camo?
I've been getting that question a lot. What would you prefer, a model for a pistol with a light and a model for one without, or just one standard model with MOLLE straps to put your own holster on it?

Production model will most likely be black. If enough people want a "tacticool" model we might offer another in camo or olive drab.
Having a holster built into the rig definitely increases it's value to many people...I'm sure some people will not want to buy the bag and a holster. My suspicion is that a kydex holster would be difficult to draw from because it would pull the bag up. So I guess my answer is I'd prefer to have the built-in holster that would accommodate a weapon-mounted light.

Black is a good color.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:22 am

Gurthy wrote:
Black is a good color.
The bag does imply night aka low light conditions and possible disorientation. Wouldn't something easier to see in those conditions be of benefit. Just thinking out load.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:01 am

Nope. No bag for me. Pistol with light mounted (w/laser) and a heavy ass mag light for primary lighting. No phone. If something goes bump, I go to the end of the hallway while wife gathers up the kids and covers the only path to them with her 870. If dogs are going nuts, then someone is in or very near in the house. Skivvies or not, I can see all three outside entrances, living/family/game rooms from the end of the hallway. Wife will call 911 with the girls in the safe area until I say stop.

Not much need for a bag since all you really need is defense and light. I could see a ballistic vest as a throw on with pistol and light already attached. Otherwise, I don't see the utility of a bag.

1st aid/rescue bags are in either end of the house so no real need to carry trauma gear. Wife is comms as previously stated since Im not going to be screwing with a phone when a threat presents itself, I'd be dealing with the threat (that includes the freaky ass werewolf thing from that other thread).
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:16 am

In the gunsafe beside the bed:
Your chosen handgun, loaded and hot, with light attached.
The "hated" fanny pack holster with spare mags, light, cell phone, OC, and maybe a first aid kit. Belt this on so all your needs are on your body, and the gun is in your hand. Practice with all this.

SIT YOUR ASS TIGHT! Call 911 and tell them what is happening.
give verbal commands, and let them come to you after you have secured you family in the safe room. Don't go looking for trouble, you will find it.

NWGN

Post by NWGN » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:26 am

Gurthy and Woods Walker, what do you think is more valuable: a black bag so the bad guys can't see it or a brighter color so you can?

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:52 am

Make sure door to bedroom is locked, then call police. Door is normally locked while I sleep. Point shotgun at door and keep quiet.

Not sure why I would need a bag full of stuff for a home invasion, my house is decent sized, but I mean, not that big, whats the bag for?

coldwater

Post by coldwater » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:35 am

Don't need a bag. This is my night stand. Every night. Period. The bench made is kept razor sharp and never used, the light is 900 lumens and completely blinding, the 45 is ready, and there are 2 more mags in the drawer. Only thing not pictured is my phone. I can have my 590 A-1 shotty in hand in seconds if I feel the need.

Edit: also not pictured are my 2 Rottweilers that sleep at the door.

coldwater

Post by coldwater » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:19 am

I believe this is probably over thinking. When a threat presents itself in this scenario, you will be at the disadvantage the second you open your eyes. Bags and clothes are not entering my mind, and not something I'm concerned with. Feet on floor, one hand on pistol, one on light, and If need be, I'll meet the threat naked. Pants won't save me, nor will the phone, and i lost my modesty a long time ago. Someone wants to move on a naked 220 pound man armed with a .45 and fully intent on violent action, while their being chewed on By 190 pounds of Rottweiler, they came to the right place!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:38 am

NWGN wrote:
Those things still wont be in your hands they will be in the bag.

Im trying to think of a good supporting argument but cant. I dont see the point in the tiny bag.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:42 pm

NWGN wrote:Gurthy and Woods Walker, what do you think is more valuable: a black bag so the bad guys can't see it or a brighter color so you can?
I can't imagine they wouldn't see my flashlight pointing at them or the entire room if I turned the lights on. If the cell phone was activated that would also show up a bunch in a confined dark space. Would a small brighter colored bag really make me any more visible during a break in confrontation with bad guy(s)? I am not exactly a ninja. I can retrieve my firearm, Surefire and cell phone in the dark so betting with just a little practice a bag would be the same. As stated I was more thinking aloud about a personal preference that may or may not give me an advantage.

edit.. Spelling.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”