BOB TOOLS

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

sbjerry9

BOB TOOLS

Post by sbjerry9 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:01 pm

What kind of tools do you have in your BOB / EDC / BOV?

SRO1911

Re: BOB TOOLS

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:02 pm

MY EDC includes a Klein 10-1, the smallest standard size irwin channel locks, fluke non-contact probe, 2AA mini-maglite led, Mora, lockback style box cutter, sharpie, and other 'normal' stuff.
Its a part of how I make my living now, and those few tools are sufficient for what I would guess would be 90 percent of my service calls - - as a maintenance supervisor for several apt. complexes with over 600 units combined.
I hate having to go back to the truck for something.
I keep an identical set in my BOB - and add an eight inch pry bar, a telescoping magnet with mirror attachment, a 6 inch crescent, and a large pill bottle full of fasteners including various sheet rock screws, nails, hammer staples, small coil of tie wire, some small tin strips (1/2"x2-3")

whole mess weight little and is very versatile.

I know people talk about toting a full tool kit, or major demo tools like a FUBAR or wrecking bar and sledge hammer... more power to them.
If I need to get into something, I will take my time and find the least destructive method.
I do not anticipate having time to rebuild my duramax on the side of the road in an emergency... if its bad enough to warrant bugging out in the first place then its bad enough to keep moving.

The few things I do carry all have very clear multiple purposes - with little to no excess weight or bells & whistles.

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:49 pm

I think that's a pretty slick selection of tools... Cool stuff. One tool I keep in my BOB is a mini-hack saw and a spare blade. I tape the blades up to keep things from getting shredded.

I figure the hack saw adds a ton of capability for only a few ounces, that's just me though.

Cheers!
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

estoteparati

Post by estoteparati » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Leatherman surge, fiskars x7 axe, Laplander saw, a folder and a fixed knife.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Outside of a multi-tool, folder, and machete, I keep a bow saw blade with nuts/bolts attached..

Its really easy to cut a proper sized green branch/limb, notch the ends and attach the blade. Instant bow saw at half the weight.

sbjerry9

Post by sbjerry9 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:50 pm

SRO1911 wrote:MY EDC includes a Klein 10-1, the smallest standard size irwin channel locks, fluke non-contact probe, 2AA mini-maglite led, Mora, lockback style box cutter, sharpie, and other 'normal' stuff.
Its a part of how I make my living now, and those few tools are sufficient for what I would guess would be 90 percent of my service calls - - as a maintenance supervisor for several apt. complexes with over 600 units combined.
I hate having to go back to the truck for something.
I keep an identical set in my BOB - and add an eight inch pry bar, a telescoping magnet with mirror attachment, a 6 inch crescent, and a large pill bottle full of fasteners including various sheet rock screws, nails, hammer staples, small coil of tie wire, some small tin strips (1/2"x2-3")
did not even think about hardware, great idea. :clap:

jackal556
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Resident Evil saga

Post by jackal556 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:41 pm

For my EDC- Leatherman Freestyle CX (Christmas present from my Dad).

BOB- Regular size Leatherman knock-off, another small Leatherman, hex wrenches, zip-ties/ duct tape/ 550 cord, and probably more junk.

Vehicle- USAF survival knife, yet another Leatherman knock-off (from Husky tools), wrenches, jumper cables, more zip ties/ duct tape/ 550 cord, and even more. My vehicle kit fills out a medium size ALICE pack (also includes field-stripped MREs, water, IFAK, flashlight, and chemlights).

House preps- toolbelt and Dewalt drill.
ZSC:002 Pittsburgh Area Chapter Officer

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Leatherman, flashlight, fiskars x11, fixed blade, are all in my Bob.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm actually in the process of building a dedicated vehicle tool kit as part of my vehicle "BOB".

My vehicle "survival kit" has the bigger survival items, like a tarp, jumper cables, axe, shovel, fire tools, stove, food, water, fix-a-flat, duct tape, etc.

I'm big on having a dedicated vehicle tools kit, not just for vehicle maintenance, but also repairs/construction at the BO location. Having dedicated items (mutiples) means yer not constantly moving things from area to area, and you'll have it where you need it when you need it. Cable cutters, hack-saw, screw drivers, clamps, zip-ties, mini socket set, adjustable wrench, etc. etc.

I do plan to eventually build a small tool bag for my hand carried BOB, but right now all I really have are knives, gerber multi-tool with bit kit, and a large rasp file. First plan on adding a hacksaw, then a hand drill and a tape measure.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Vice grips
Leatherman Multi tool
Bogota picks
Plumbers Epoxy
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Sven folding saw, leatherman, rat 5.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:14 am

Im a mechanical engineer that spends a lot of time in the field at various construction jobs and our med centers. HVAC is my primary concern.
Tools I EDC:
MEP/Construction drawings
Digital thermometer
Thermostat tool
Small allen driver
Good quality milwalkee interchangeable tip screwdriver
Petzl headlamp
Several 220 lumen Nebo flashlight
Several smaller flashlights ( lots of areas I go in dont have light or are naturally dark)
Small lightweight Irwin groovelock pliers (superior to channelocks imho)
Gerber multitool
Small prytool
Various pens/pencils/notepads.
Spyderco folder
Then various non-tool items like small first aid pouch, hydration, etc
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

jackal556
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Resident Evil saga

Post by jackal556 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:30 pm

angelofwar wrote:I'm actually in the process of building a dedicated vehicle tool kit as part of my vehicle "BOB".

My vehicle "survival kit" has the bigger survival items, like a tarp, jumper cables, axe, shovel, fire tools, stove, food, water, fix-a-flat, duct tape, etc.

I'm big on having a dedicated vehicle tools kit, not just for vehicle maintenance, but also repairs/construction at the BO location. Having dedicated items (mutiples) means yer not constantly moving things from area to area, and you'll have it where you need it when you need it. Cable cutters, hack-saw, screw drivers, clamps, zip-ties, mini socket set, adjustable wrench, etc. etc.

I do plan to eventually build a small tool bag for my hand carried BOB, but right now all I really have are knives, gerber multi-tool with bit kit, and a large rasp file. First plan on adding a hacksaw, then a hand drill and a tape measure.
I should post what I have in my bag in a new thread...
ZSC:002 Pittsburgh Area Chapter Officer

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

koolaidND
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks, 28 days, resident evil series, zombieland

Post by koolaidND » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:39 pm

I like to later my equipment.

EDC: leatherman Supertool 300, Swiss Army knife.

Bug out kit: Esee 3 or 6, silky Pocketboy 170, Estwing Riggers hatchet or a machete, small selection of fasteners( nails and a few screws) and victorinox bit wrench with hex bits.

Additional items carried for a vehicle based big out kit: Schroeder hand drill with bits, Gerber ax, Gerber hatchet, full sized bowsaw, files, rasps, more extensive fasteners collection (screws, nails, some eye bolts, fencing staples), epoxy and a couple rolls of duct tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am

As much as I use My EDC items - I left out one small Item that complements my BOB

An aluminum cigar tube full of fasteners (used to use a small pill bottle, but the cigar tube fits better in DTC Firehose pants cargo pockets) mostly 1-2 inch course drywall screws, but also a few nails of various sizes and 2-3 4 inch deck screws and oddly a couple heavy duty industrial type sewing machine needles.

Was reminded this AM when my watch band ceased to be connected. Out comes ye merry olde tube of stuff&stuff and I pop a needle in where a pin came out - quick bend and break and I am back in business. A quick call to the good folks at Bulova and I will have new pins in sometime in the next 7-10 days free of charge.
Call the local watch shop and they want 15 bucks....

This should be on every good preppers wall,

For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

A good reminder to I think - its the little things that make the difference. Or for another cheesy cliche = the devil is in the details

Cephalotus

Post by Cephalotus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:51 am

sbjerry9 wrote:What kind of tools do you have in your BOB / EDC / BOV?
A small multitool (Victorinox spirit), a Mora knife, a lightweight pocket gas torch with flame, hot air and soldering option (incl some solder) and some small stuff like tape, wire, cord, superglue, etc...
I also carry two (three) hacksaw blades. One for cutting standard metal, on for cutting hardened steel or stone (made from tungsten carbide) and optional third one for cutting wood.

Sounds a lot, but really doesn't weight much and gives lots of options.

I also think about adding a tiny multimeter.

I'm an engineer and I'm most likely in a urban environment, so fixing things seems to be a a more relevant task to me than building a house out of trees.

I also carry a very small Geiger counter: http://www.soeks.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not sure if that falls under tools, but if SHTF I assume that our nuclear reactors would have significant problems and the lastvthing you will be able to buy in such a situation is a Geiger counter.

Qasim

Post by Qasim » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Cephalotus wrote:
sbjerry9 wrote: I also carry two (three) hacksaw blades. One for cutting standard metal, on for cutting hardened steel or stone (made from tungsten carbide) and optional third one for cutting wood.
Are you using a standard sized hacksaw holder to put the blade in? I never figured out how you're supposed to use "just the blade" in a improvisational situation. It seems like you carry a full tool kit for work but sometimes it sounds like people are carrying just the hacksaw blade. I know there's a universal holder advertised for like 40 bucks but I'm interested to hear other options.

Cephalotus

Post by Cephalotus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Qasim wrote: Are you using a standard sized hacksaw holder to put the blade in?
No.
I never figured out how you're supposed to use "just the blade" in a improvisational situation. It seems like you carry a full tool kit for work but sometimes it sounds like people are carrying just the hacksaw blade. I know there's a universal holder advertised for like 40 bucks but I'm interested to hear other options.
1. option: wrap something around half of the blade and cut with the other half by hand. If done carefully this works amazingly well, lets say for cutting a padlock (you should use the tungsten carbide blade for that).

2. option: I also carry small screws that fit into the holes of the blade. Together with three sticks and rope/wire I'm able to build my own hacksaw holder. I would recommend this if you have to cut larger amounts of wood...

Pete71

Post by Pete71 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:03 am

EDC: is a SOG Flash II or Spyderco Police, on my key chain I have a Swiss+Tech Microtech and a Swiss+Tech Utili-key, a small, single AA flashlight I picked up at a gun show and finally whatever gun I am in the mood to clip on.

BOB: I have a Leatherman Supertool, lighter, pencil pocket type screwdriver (standard at one end, phillips the other), 550 chord, carabiner, a Cold Steel fixed blade knife and some other things.
If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, riddle them with bullets.

tommyatomic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
28 Days
Resident Evil 1,2,3,4

Post by tommyatomic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm one of those people that has to have tools. And my lifestyle is very urban.

Urban vs backwoods means different tools for different jobs. I dont need to be able to bushwack, fell tree's, make stepping posts for rope ladders, build log cabins or whatnot, from the comfort of my car or office. I do need to be able to open, disassemble, disconnect, disable, reassemble, rewire, or repair almost anything not requiring impact tools. Add the nalgene bottle, first aid kit and protein bars I keep in my car and Ive got my urban ghb.

My edc has my urban tools.
It all goes in a non-tacticool messenger bag with a velcro flap with a zipper main pocket and 5 other smaller zipper pockets.

I have an old rhino case for a LARGE PDA that has been retasked to carry tools that tucks into my messenger bag.
It holds:
Mini-maglite with led bulb
windproof jet lighter
small tube of solder
electrical tape
multimeter
FULL bit set including FULL security bit set. bit drivers extensions and socket set.
mini crowbar
medical tweezer set
forecepts
dental pick set with files and mini screwdrivers
wirecutters/strippers & fine point needle nose pliers
magnifying lenses

Then in various pockets in my messenger bag:
Leatherman Wave Multi-tool
Serrated Gerber EVO
Thumbdrive
touch device stylus
Earbuds
12,000 mah usb recharger with chargine cable for my Iphone5(Has enough juice to fully charge my iphone5 about 10 times or my ipad to 90% twice)
3G IPAD 32gig
IPHONE5 with gryphon survivor case. Loaded with every known network diagnostic tool available and 4 gigs of offline maps that functions without cell service
D-Link DIR-505 pocket wireless AP and patch cable

I've considered carrying entry tools and padlock shims in my edc for opening fuse boxes, wiring closets, server racks and such; however in canada one is supposed to have a "pick license" to carry such things.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”