How do you g uys carry stripper clips

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Slugg

How do you g uys carry stripper clips

Post by Slugg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:48 am

I am wondering who has a molle rig and what kind of pouches you use to carry stripper clips in. I'm planning on carrying .308 stripper clips on a molle vest, but I don't really have a good pouch yet.
The future is for those who prepare.

Action.Jackson

Re: How do you g uys carry stripper clips

Post by Action.Jackson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but why not carry more magazines?

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Mags on my person, clips are in the ammo can to reload the mags.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:11 pm

Not the perfect solution, but a M249 SAW pouch works for me. I have also used a dump pouch on occasion.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:14 pm

I dont carry stripper clips. It seems like that would be folly.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm

IF I was stuck using the SKS, I'd be using a grenade pouch to carry 3 strippers at a time.*

If I had a mag-fed weapon then what Raptor said.

*Giggity.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm

offcamber wrote:Not the perfect solution, but a M249 SAW pouch works for me. I have also used a dump pouch on occasion.
Those also hold 6 AR mags. Wouldn't it make more sense just to carry extra mags than to worry about trying to reload them in the field?
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:19 pm

it may be for an odd ball 308 rifle that some one has limited magazines for. as for carrieing the stripper clips. i could use and old m1 garand web belt and use the vest for other things like fak and hold what spare mags you may have. for 5.56 i just carry a bandolier with a few more mags worth of ammo.
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:23 pm

The gun I own uses stripper clips and interchangeable mags are not made for it. So I'm going with stripper clips. 3 in a grenade pouch works pretty well, a guy at the fun show said he uses compass pouches from alice gear. I'll play around with it and see what kind of surplus stuff I can find at the upcoming shows. Once I find something that works well for me, I'll share it.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:25 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
offcamber wrote:Not the perfect solution, but a M249 SAW pouch works for me. I have also used a dump pouch on occasion.
Those also hold 6 AR mags. Wouldn't it make more sense just to carry extra mags than to worry about trying to reload them in the field?
Sorry about that, didn't realize we were discussing carrying strippers for mag reloads..

The SAW pouch is for my SKS stripper clips.

For mag fed weapons, I just carry extra mags.

zombieresponder

Post by zombieresponder » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Why not leave them in the bandoleers with cardboards instead of reinventing the wheel?

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Maybe get one of those ChiCom chest rigs people recommend for the SKS? I'm assuming this is for that MAS rifle you were trying to jam Fal mags into?
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Olongapo Outfitters make a lot of rigs for Garands and such.
http://olongapooutfitters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:53 pm

zombieresponder wrote:Why not leave them in the bandoleers with cardboards instead of reinventing the wheel?
I didn't buy them on bandoleers with cardboards. I got the ammo loose, then bought stripper clips.

MisterAnderson

Post by MisterAnderson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:08 pm

In addition to a combat load of mags, most carry clipped ammo, on bando's in an ALICE LBE buttpack or on the outer pouch of their ruck.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 pm

MisterAnderson wrote:In addition to a combat load of mags, most carry clipped ammo, on bando's in an ALICE LBE buttpack or on the outer pouch of their ruck.
That's what I was originally thinking, and had a lot of people tell me. Then again, a lot said that it is a bad idea to have all your ammo in one pouch. If you happen to need it in a firefight and forget to close it or something, your SOL at that point. So, currently I have it in a butpack, but I'm trying to find a way to individually or no more than 4 per pouch.

chrispy

Post by chrispy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181048812951 ... 1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have tried these, they are a replica of a M1a pouch, I think.
Neatly take a 10 round SKK mag, or 5 loaded stripper clips. The only dodgy bit is the plastic closure clip, but it seems to hold up, having said this, I will replace it with some folded brass. I have two sets, and as you are only carrying stripper clips, the weight is not too bad.

Chrispy

MisterAnderson

Post by MisterAnderson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 am

Slugg wrote:
MisterAnderson wrote:In addition to a combat load of mags, most carry clipped ammo, on bando's in an ALICE LBE buttpack or on the outer pouch of their ruck.
That's what I was originally thinking, and had a lot of people tell me. Then again, a lot said that it is a bad idea to have all your ammo in one pouch. If you happen to need it in a firefight and forget to close it or something, your SOL at that point. So, currently I have it in a butpack, but I'm trying to find a way to individually or no more than 4 per pouch.

I'm not understanding the all in one place comment. Assuming one wants to mimic a 5.56 military combat load, one would have 210-ish rds in 7 mags (plus one in your rifle).One would end going to your butt pack if you used all 8 mags which were probably semi-even distributed around your LBE.

Outside the context of military operations, I have many thoughts on this, but will boil it down to this: If one finds themselves in a situation where one is an extended firefight that has required one to send all 240rds downrange, they have planned poorly. I think having to reach around to the buttpack for more ammo is the least of your concerns.

edit: I just saw where your gun is stripper fed with non-interchangeable mags. The premise is the same in that you will likely carry multiple pouches on the belt with ammo.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 pm

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... o#p2260656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another semi-recent thread on the subject that might help you. See Geardo's rig for his Garand.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Return to “Bug Out Gear”