It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:17 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 1445
Location: Western Slope, CO
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 237 times
The PITA of going from the kifaru belt to the HPG belt is that they are enough different that you really have to re-bend the stays to get maximum potential out of each.


just weighed my ILBE again, down to 5lbs 10oz with HPG harness and belt.

Image

I removed the frame sheet and cut off those fiberglass rods that go from the frame stays to the bottom corners of the bag. I had to relocate the ladderlocks that cinch in the waistbelt to get a more appropriate angle for the kifaru/hpg belts. This set up uses the corners of the bag to wrap around the belt and transfer weight just with tension and proper loading of the pack. It's a little more finicky but I think the end result is more comfortable.

I mounted upper and lower belt tensioners using repair ladderlocks and HPG g-hook straps, I mounted the HPG harness by running straps up from the velcro belt retention straps.

Image

I am THIS close to chopping off the backpanel foam all together, my back doesn't really make much contact with it anyway. I have also decided that the lumbar pad is way too thick for me but I hesitate to hack it off just yet. If I do I'll just add a thin flap with a single piece of camp mat.

_________________
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:41 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 am
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Hey Ronny can you do a Photo of the HPG Harness and how you connected that? Bending stays isnt much of an issue for me. Where are you in Colorado? Wish i could have you over with your pack so I could see what all you took off. Can you do another couple pack pictures for me? Tomorrow I start hacking.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:45 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 am
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RonnyRonin wrote:
The PITA of going from the kifaru belt to the HPG belt is that they are enough different that you really have to re-bend the stays to get maximum potential out of each.


just weighed my ILBE again, down to 5lbs 10oz with HPG harness and belt.

Image

I removed the frame sheet and cut off those fiberglass rods that go from the frame stays to the bottom corners of the bag. I had to relocate the ladderlocks that cinch in the waistbelt to get a more appropriate angle for the kifaru/hpg belts. This set up uses the corners of the bag to wrap around the belt and transfer weight just with tension and proper loading of the pack. It's a little more finicky but I think the end result is more comfortable.

I mounted upper and lower belt tensioners using repair ladderlocks and HPG g-hook straps, I mounted the HPG harness by running straps up from the velcro belt retention straps.

Image

I am THIS close to chopping off the backpanel foam all together, my back doesn't really make much contact with it anyway. I have also decided that the lumbar pad is way too thick for me but I hesitate to hack it off just yet. If I do I'll just add a thin flap with a single piece of camp mat.


IM suprised you didnt put the Stays into the small stay pockets on the HPG Belt. Reason you didnt? Thanks for your assistance.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:49 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 1445
Location: Western Slope, CO
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 237 times
SHTFCO wrote:

IM suprised you didnt put the Stays into the small stay pockets on the HPG Belt. Reason you didnt? Thanks for your assistance.


I did, you can't see them; they are on the back of the belt.

_________________
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:06 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 am
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RonnyRonin wrote:
SHTFCO wrote:

IM suprised you didnt put the Stays into the small stay pockets on the HPG Belt. Reason you didnt? Thanks for your assistance.


I did, you can't see them; they are on the back of the belt.


Aww gotcha.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:54 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 am
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I didn't go as crazy as some of you guys buts much cleaner now. Loving this pack.


Before

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/db2421bf5585a05255cf06f724121b7d.jpg[/img]

After

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/46730deb483df78d4eb1f1ada214ac2e.jpg[/img]

Added the hpg belt also

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/d48eae22b686fa6320585cd81e336e12.jpg[/img]

Took about 1.5 lbs off

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/e40fbce9ab8affe4a5b67159177af5ef.jpg[/img]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:58 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 am
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I left the side hapalon on it cause I love the look. Plus the straps connected to it I will use

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/af88aa3bb1823003d3856f945b12b218.jpg[/img]

Removed all of the hose on the zipper pulls. Left the side handles alone though

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/25e66a1c8f5f2db14303b1367bffbd1d.jpg[/img]

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/d562e2fc1411c2f2abae943a8f1a1f79.jpg[/img]

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/dc68c6ab7f9e05777fe71340dbea5f9e.jpg[/img]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:21 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 72
Location: http://survivalistbasecamp.freeforums.net/posts/recent
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
For anyone who's interested, I came across a solution for ILBE Sustainment Pouches.
I found the standard USGI SP's to be too big and they didn't come in MARPAT anyways.
The "official" MARPAT SP's are ridiculously priced (each costing more than the ILBE itself).

These nice little 200RD Pouches are perfect for what I've wanted, are made of USGI stock
and produced by a Marine in the United States. Best part? I got both for about $32/shipped.
AND they fit in perfectly with my ILBE. I couldn't have asked for a better addition for the ILBE.
I also replaced the hideous ACU compass pouch for my left shoulder strap with one of his MARPAT compass
pouches for $3. The seller is away for a few days, but here's his eBay http://stores.ebay.com/gigoodies/.

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
My Wilderness Survival Discussion Forum:
LINK: http://survivalistbasecamp.freeforums.net/posts/recent


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:06 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 am
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I just searched his store and didnt find anything for sale. You must of bought him out =)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:40 pm
Posts: 6
Location: VA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Love this thread. Picked up an ILBE a couple months ago. Probably overpaid based on what others have posted. Oh well. It was cheaper than USRO!

Next steps for me will be to remove the rubber tubing and order a HPG belt. The belt on mine is already fubar and I want the MOLLE on the belt.

We'll see where I go from there. Anybody want to buy some Hellcat parts?


Transmitted from periscope depth during an open comms window using Tapatalk.

_________________
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:33 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 72
Location: http://survivalistbasecamp.freeforums.net/posts/recent
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
SHTFCO wrote:
I just searched his store and didnt find anything for sale. You must of bought him out =)


He was out for a while.
Try him again.
They are well worth it.
:wink:

_________________
My Wilderness Survival Discussion Forum:
LINK: http://survivalistbasecamp.freeforums.net/posts/recent


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:43 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 am
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
inconel710 wrote:
Love this thread. Picked up an ILBE a couple months ago. Probably overpaid based on what others have posted. Oh well. It was cheaper than USRO!

Next steps for me will be to remove the rubber tubing and order a HPG belt. The belt on mine is already fubar and I want the MOLLE on the belt.

We'll see where I go from there. Anybody want to buy some Hellcat parts?


Transmitted from periscope depth during an open comms window using Tapatalk.


Update? Let's see the transformation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:44 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 am
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
inconel710 wrote:
Love this thread. Picked up an ILBE a couple months ago. Probably overpaid based on what others have posted. Oh well. It was cheaper than USRO!

Next steps for me will be to remove the rubber tubing and order a HPG belt. The belt on mine is already fubar and I want the MOLLE on the belt.

We'll see where I go from there. Anybody want to buy some Hellcat parts?


Transmitted from periscope depth during an open comms window using Tapatalk.


Update? Let's see the transformation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:40 pm
Posts: 6
Location: VA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
SHTFCO wrote:

Update? Let's see the transformation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Life intervened. I started trimming and had to set it aside. Money is super tight and the current belt is really messed up. $15 for an ILBE belt off Amazon or save up for the PB I really want.

_________________
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:23 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 am
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
inconel710 wrote:
SHTFCO wrote:

Update? Let's see the transformation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Life intervened. I started trimming and had to set it aside. Money is super tight and the current belt is really messed up. $15 for an ILBE belt off Amazon or save up for the PB I really want.


I always go by the theory of buy once cry once. If you pay the money for what makes this pack comfortable and able to haul heavy weight. Youll never have to buy it again. Definitely save for the 100$ belt.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:27 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 am
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I will try and get out with mine in the next few weeks and really spark your juices. Loving this pack. I had 60# in it a few weeks ago and it felt fantastic and no hot spots or pain points. It really is a great setup. I would put the ILBE next to any of the top packs out there Kifaru, MR, Exo Mountain, Stone Glacier and although definitely not as light as some of those its not worth the 500-700$ extra your going to spend to drop 1-3 lbs. 1000d Cordura its made of really gives this pack a bombproof feeling. a lot like my Kifaru MMR I had for a few years.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:40 pm
Posts: 6
Location: VA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Thanks man. Wish I was still in COS so we could meet up.


Transmitted from periscope depth during an open comms window using Tapatalk.

_________________
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:02 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 1445
Location: Western Slope, CO
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 237 times
2016 update:

I'll admit I haven't used the ILBE much in the last year, I quite simply have too many packs I play with and building packs from scratch is actually easier then extensively modifying prebuilt packs.

I do try to pull it out periodically and see what new perspectives I have on the ILBE, but the only one worth mentioning comes from Kifaru's recent pack changes:
As some may have noticed Kifaru has been changing their product line quite a bit recently, the torch there seems to have been firmly passed to Aaron who is primarily hunting focused. To get a leg up in the Hunting Frame Weight Wars they introduced a fairly clever concept with their re-vamped Duplex frame: Carbon arrow shafts as frame stays.

After a lot of head scratching over why I had never heard of anyone trying it before, I went down to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought two 26" carbon arrows ($10) and threw them in my old gen-1 duplex. It isn't an ideal frame, and has some drawbacks but it certainly works for lower weights.

Pros:
A) Tons of flex. if you like freedom of movement with lighter loads this will give you that.
B) Light. a pair of 26" carbon arrows weighs 1oz
3) Cheap. $10

Cons:
1) Tons of flex. while fairly vertically rigid, compressing a load and hitting the load lifters will introduce competing tension that will try to deform the frame. must be managed intelligently.
2) weak. Carbon arrows are tough, but you can break them. I think kifaru recommends using two arrows per stay channel. At lower weights single arrows don't worry me.
C) flat. No complex curves like aluminum stays, if you have a particularly curvy back this might not be for you. I think perfect frame curve is overrated but it is certainly preferable.


So as far as weight savings for the ILBE, the stock 7075 aluminum stays weigh about 9oz. the carbon arrows weight 1oz, this means a wopping half pound weight savings, or just under if you double up on arrows. the problem is that 26" seems the shortest I can find arrows so 2" needs to be trimmed off, something I haven't done yet because I hate cutting carbon (possible advantage: leaving the arrows at 24.5" or 25" to sneak a little more frame height in). What I have done is mocked up my ILBE with HPG suspension and weighed it and it seems I have hit the 5lb mark! I fully expect the bulk of ILBE readers to turn their noses up at the idea of a carbon frame because after all the bulk of ILBE users see no problem with a 9lb backpack to begin with. But for those users that expect to stay under, say, 40lbs I think this is a viable option for them to explore.

When I do get some more arrows and finally get around to trimming them down I will post some pictures. Anyone that wants to read feedback on using carbon arrows in the Duplex frames can go over to the Rokslide forums.


I also plan to get a third (fourth?) ILBE and do some less extreme lighting mods on it so that I can go all-out on my first tester and give better advice on how far is too far with the ILBE.

_________________
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:40 pm
Posts: 6
Location: VA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
That's interesting. I probably won't do it since I just got a HPG Prairie Belt to put on it. Between that and their shoulder harness, I'm pretty happy with it. I'd take it backpacking this weekend if I could.

Next step for me is to figure out how to rig it to carry my tree stand before next deer season. I've tried using a Tarahumara strapped to the PB at the bottom and one set of Ute straps up high, but I'm not satisfied with the noise level.

_________________
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 1445
Location: Western Slope, CO
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 237 times
inconel710 wrote:
That's interesting. I probably won't do it since I just got a HPG Prairie Belt to put on it. Between that and their shoulder harness, I'm pretty happy with it. I'd take it backpacking this weekend if I could.

Next step for me is to figure out how to rig it to carry my tree stand before next deer season. I've tried using a Tarahumara strapped to the PB at the bottom and one set of Ute straps up high, but I'm not satisfied with the noise level.



I don't know how big your tree stand is, but is there any way to unzip both sides and poke it through the slot? Tara seems like a good idea, maybe just needs more straps?

_________________
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:30 pm 
Offline
*

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:52 pm
Posts: 42
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times
I did a lot of similar Mods to mine.. Cannot figure out how to embed video so Watch here


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:47 am 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:42 am
Posts: 59
Location: MI
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Here's my modified ILBE. I purchased it used on eBay and the first thing I did was wash all the jarhead funk and sand out of it. I then swapped the hip belt for a large to fit my fat ass, replaced all of the elastic strap keepers, and cut off the superfluous stuff like many others (rubber patches, beavertail, PALS webbing, etc.). I also removed the heavy rubber zipper handles as well as the rubber over the side handles (although I did retain the handles themselves).

Image

The thing I liked least about this pack was the lid...it was just way to floppy and annoying when loaded. My solution was to cut off all the PALS, turn it inside out, and then cut off all the "extra" material that made up the zippered compartment. The resulting lid is way lighter. Here's a shot of the lid's new "inside".

Image

_________________
Blow Out Kit
Car FAK


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:40 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 pm
Posts: 419
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 32 times
RonnyRonin wrote:
2016 update:

I'll admit I haven't used the ILBE much in the last year, I quite simply have too many packs I play with and building packs from scratch is actually easier then extensively modifying prebuilt packs.

I do try to pull it out periodically and see what new perspectives I have on the ILBE, but the only one worth mentioning comes from Kifaru's recent pack changes:
As some may have noticed Kifaru has been changing their product line quite a bit recently, the torch there seems to have been firmly passed to Aaron who is primarily hunting focused. To get a leg up in the Hunting Frame Weight Wars they introduced a fairly clever concept with their re-vamped Duplex frame: Carbon arrow shafts as frame stays.

After a lot of head scratching over why I had never heard of anyone trying it before, I went down to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought two 26" carbon arrows ($10) and threw them in my old gen-1 duplex. It isn't an ideal frame, and has some drawbacks but it certainly works for lower weights.

Pros:
A) Tons of flex. if you like freedom of movement with lighter loads this will give you that.
B) Light. a pair of 26" carbon arrows weighs 1oz
3) Cheap. $10

Cons:
1) Tons of flex. while fairly vertically rigid, compressing a load and hitting the load lifters will introduce competing tension that will try to deform the frame. must be managed intelligently.
2) weak. Carbon arrows are tough, but you can break them. I think kifaru recommends using two arrows per stay channel. At lower weights single arrows don't worry me.
C) flat. No complex curves like aluminum stays, if you have a particularly curvy back this might not be for you. I think perfect frame curve is overrated but it is certainly preferable.


So as far as weight savings for the ILBE, the stock 7075 aluminum stays weigh about 9oz. the carbon arrows weight 1oz, this means a wopping half pound weight savings, or just under if you double up on arrows. the problem is that 26" seems the shortest I can find arrows so 2" needs to be trimmed off, something I haven't done yet because I hate cutting carbon (possible advantage: leaving the arrows at 24.5" or 25" to sneak a little more frame height in). What I have done is mocked up my ILBE with HPG suspension and weighed it and it seems I have hit the 5lb mark! I fully expect the bulk of ILBE readers to turn their noses up at the idea of a carbon frame because after all the bulk of ILBE users see no problem with a 9lb backpack to begin with. But for those users that expect to stay under, say, 40lbs I think this is a viable option for them to explore.

When I do get some more arrows and finally get around to trimming them down I will post some pictures. Anyone that wants to read feedback on using carbon arrows in the Duplex frames can go over to the Rokslide forums.


I also plan to get a third (fourth?) ILBE and do some less extreme lighting mods on it so that I can go all-out on my first tester and give better advice on how far is too far with the ILBE.


One of the guys at work is heavy into bowfishing---carbon arrows get expensive when you miss and hit a rocky bottom---so he went to Home depot and found a fiberglass driveway flag and made arrows. The fiberglass may be a little better for you---same diameter as carbon arrows, but more rigid---you would gain a few ounces back on weight though,

_________________
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:23 pm 
Offline
* *

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 8:45 pm
Posts: 131
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time
holy necro post batman, but.... i really hate that none of the pictures work on this thread anymore


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JayceSlayn, Yahoo [Bot], yossarian and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group