It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:23 pm 

what's your waist size, if you don't mine me asking. I fluctuate between about 29-32 pant size. I'm already expecting that my ilbe will likely ship with a larger belt than I need. ebay has small ilbe belts for like $15 but if i'm buying a new belt I figure I should pony up the money and get a good one.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:39 am 

Ryodan wrote:
what's your waist size, if you don't mine me asking. I fluctuate between about 29-32 pant size. I'm already expecting that my ilbe will likely ship with a larger belt than I need. ebay has small ilbe belts for like $15 but if i'm buying a new belt I figure I should pony up the money and get a good one.

I am very similar, I'm about a 31" waist with no butt, I think most of the ILBE belts I ended up with are a "medium" which means that it will barely adjust small enough, but should work all right. I don't think the arcteryx belts are very good for buttless people, the angle of the belt raises the front on me since my ass can't tilt it down. probably just fine if you are normal shaped.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:05 pm 

Here's the ILBE WITH the assault pack for $87. I think this is the cheapest I've ever seen with the assault pack.

http://stores.alleghenywholesale.com/ge ... trim-good/

And if you just want the pack to use your own shoulder straps and waist belt with - $32!

http://stores.alleghenywholesale.com/ge ... very-good/

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:48 am 

I ordered mine recently from them off ebay. The main pack I got looks new its not even dirty, the only wear I can find is a little on the belt, the assault pack definately has been used but its the dust in the material that gives that away not the condition of the bag.

Excellent condition on ebay for under $90 pack, belt, straps, assault pack, radio pouch. With shipping it was $115.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271124398910?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 pm 

[quote="RonnyRonin"]finally got rid of the awful black drawstring closure. tried a lighter weight (1.9oz?) coyote closure but the drawstring kept binding up and not sealing well. cut that out when I finally sourced some MARPAT cordura, added a 330d roll-top closure:

adds some serious winter BOB or INCH overstuff potential, I couldn't even get the original over-the-top strap to buckle.

Excellent idea. I know you posted this a while ago but I'm considering doing this to my pack. How is it holding up against the weather and would it be too much for me to ask for a short tutorial on how you made this? I keep most of my stuff in waterproof bags but I would prefer if rain didn't get inside of the pack. I don't have a great sewing machine but I think it would handle the ILBE's material OK.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:35 pm 

SMartin31 wrote:

Excellent idea. I know you posted this a while ago but I'm considering doing this to my pack. How is it holding up against the weather and would it be too much for me to ask for a short tutorial on how you made this? I keep most of my stuff in waterproof bags but I would prefer if rain didn't get inside of the pack. I don't have a great sewing machine but I think it would handle the ILBE's material OK.

most home machines handle cordura just fine, it's only when you start stacking webbing up that they choke.

waterproofness is the same as any other cordura, will handle a shower just fine or short term rain, but I'm sure it will soak through after awhile, I've only had it out in rain for a half-hour or so.

what I did was cut the collar off but leave just enough of the black material to sew the new collar too. I then measured the opening as best I could (do it several times, this is the hardest part) and then gave myself a few inches extra. I actually sewed it to the pack before I sewed it into the tube, which let me get the diameter just right. guessing how tall to make the extension is another tricky part, it helps if you have a dry bag or another roll top to compare, and as always, give yourself extra. mine is about 12" tall.

the only thing I don't like about it is I didn't really have anything to stiffen the opening like a traditional dry bag so it doesn't roll up as nice, but anything is better then a drawstring.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:28 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I know you're going for lightweight, but the following shows what I believe is a good reason for leaving your ILBE intact. Just imagine an elk quarter on the inside elevated by the internal divider. Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:00 am 

Makes me want to dig out my Gregory Shasta and weigh it. It has the lid which can be used as a hip belt, which makes sense to me.

I'm interested in an ILBE now... been messing with the surplus USMC warbelts and they straight up rock, I'm going to be sewing hook on the back of one to get it to work with a keeper belt ala USGG Infidel or regular cop belts. I got it for $12, I can afford to buy a little velcro for it too... :awesome:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:21 am 

Alright, none of these mods require much sewing and I wanted to thrown them up somewhere visually to spark some interest, but the first has to do with a modified hip belt. I. Know most prefer the forward pull to tighten, so I've reverse engineered and came up with a little switch-a-roo. Good luck finding some of the hardware used as it's been a nightmare!

IMG_0363 by harmonweddings.com, on Flickr

IMG_0364 by harmonweddings.com, on Flickr

IMG_0367 by harmonweddings.com, on Flickr

IMG_0366 by harmonweddings.com, on Flickr

It's basically the hip belt setup on the FILBE main pack. I didn't cut any straps, just flat rolled them and stuck the original, after looping it through the tri-glide, back into the sew in on the hip belt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:35 pm 

I see that mesh hiding back there, you got one of them there rare Recon ILBEs, what does it weigh? I've never put hands on one.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:07 pm 

I don't know to be exact, but at 5,500 cubic inches, I almost cringe thinking of putting it on. I'll cinch the heck out of it, but it's nice. I do have the accessory pouches on it too. I'm hoping to take it out for a spin sometime soon, maybe solo, as my wife claims there's bugs out on the trails. I have a picture of my 9 year old in that bag while it's on my back. I'll see about posting it. I've also got some of the recon/corpsman assault packs too that I've modded. May try those out first. But I would recommend the recon if you can find one. I've had both and the recon just feels more beefy and is a heck of a lot more configurable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:31 pm 

So much great info in this thread! RonnyRonin- How did you sew in the roll top modification? Step by step instructions of some sort would be sweet. :mrgreen:

I just got a Kelty Falcon, and I can already foresee the drawstring top getting on my nerves. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:18 am 

cap6888 wrote:
So much great info in this thread! RonnyRonin- How did you sew in the roll top modification? Step by step instructions of some sort would be sweet. :mrgreen:

I just got a Kelty Falcon, and I can already foresee the drawstring top getting on my nerves. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

RonnyRonin wrote:
what I did was cut the collar off but leave just enough of the black material to sew the new collar too. I then measured the opening as best I could (do it several times, this is the hardest part) and then gave myself a few inches extra. I actually sewed it to the pack before I sewed it into the tube, which let me get the diameter just right. guessing how tall to make the extension is another tricky part, it helps if you have a dry bag or another roll top to compare, and as always, give yourself extra. mine is about 12" tall.

if your storm collar is tall enough you might be able to get away with just sewing some tabs on the sides to anchor buckles too, can you roll your collar down any with your normal load in the pack?

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:29 am 

Thanks Ronny. Sorry I missed the part already with the instructions. :oops:

Actually, I may be good with just seeing the tabs like you suggest. It is pretty tall to start with. Another question....
Most dry bags I have seen have a strip of rubberized material along one side, which I guess helps secure the material when it folds over. Would you suggest the same thing, or do you thing the tabs are enough?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:20 am 

cap6888 wrote:
Thanks Ronny. Sorry I missed the part already with the instructions. :oops:

Actually, I may be good with just seeing the tabs like you suggest. It is pretty tall to start with. Another question....
Most dry bags I have seen have a strip of rubberized material along one side, which I guess helps secure the material when it folds over. Would you suggest the same thing, or do you thing the tabs are enough?

Some kind of stiffener helps a lot, none of my rolltop's have them because my machine doesn't like stiff webbing and I'm not sure exactly what to use.
Works without it but works way better with it.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:49 am 

Hi!
This is my modification:

I removed all inside buckles/straps/divider. Once on recrutation for military academy I had to throw all my stuff from ruck in 10 seconds and pack it in 10 seconds. My modular sleeping system hooked on a inside buckle.

Next I cut off camelback holder, unused buckles and too long belts. For attaching my sleeping pad I just tie additional straps.
LID is gone. This is a great stuff but it works with fully packed ILBE, otherwise it flaps around or its not convinient to enter main pack.

For a cover I used materials from divider and radio pouch. I removed just 2 sewings from radio pouch, add some material from divider and here is result.

Whole pack is 3 kg (6.6138 lbs) now.

In my opinion molle straps makes material stronger. Rubber mortar pad stays. Grab handles are important, can't imagine how destructive is picking heavy pack with just a shoulder straps.
Will see how pack works without LID.

Greetings from Poland

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:07 pm 

very nice mods! I like your lid, good use of materials.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

SMartin31 wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:
finally got rid of the awful black drawstring closure. tried a lighter weight (1.9oz?) coyote closure but the drawstring kept binding up and not sealing well. cut that out when I finally sourced some MARPAT cordura, added a 330d roll-top closure:

adds some serious winter BOB or INCH overstuff potential, I couldn't even get the original over-the-top strap to buckle.

I really like that roll top! I might take cap6888's suggestion and use it after all.....viewtopic.php?f=14&t=113249 Still want to build a lid for it. Just haven't come up with an idea I like for it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:20 am 

I'm looking at hip belt from my ilbe and the material from body side is very thick. At long trips with heavy pack does it wipe or rip ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:30 pm 

Hey, FNG here. I trimmed a bit from mine, down to 6.75lbs on my very crappy hanging scale). I left the PALS on as I might use that. The side PALS panel and rubberized bits need to go as well, I'll get to that. The lid is very meh but sewing on a roll top would be a challenge for me. But either the lid or the PALS goes. Pockets for small stuff on exterior not super useful for me. For a BOB/hunting pack it was a well spent $90 (from eBay for excellent cond.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:39 pm 

Claydoh wrote:
Hey, FNG here. I trimmed a bit from mine, down to 6.75lbs on my very crappy hanging scale). I left the PALS on as I might use that. The side PALS panel and rubberized bits need to go as well, I'll get to that. The lid is very meh but sewing on a roll top would be a challenge for me. But either the lid or the PALS goes. Pockets for small stuff on exterior not super useful for me. For a BOB/hunting pack it was a well spent $90 (from eBay for excellent cond.)

FYI, I made some of these mods as well. Be *very careful* removing the PALs and rubberized material. I used a sewing de-stitching tool and focused on de-stitching pals from the top. I started by trying to use the tool, effectively like a razor blade, underneath some of the PALs webbing stitching (between webbing and camouflage material). This method resulted in a tear because believe it or not, the Cordura is fragile and will tear. For the rubberized portion, I chose to carefully pull it up and slice with a razor blade as close as possible to where it was stitched in, however leaving that original stitching and a few millimeters of rubberized material on the bag. Do not de-stitch the strapping points that go over the rubberized material or it will be challenging to hand sew them back. Simply cut the rubberized material around them. Overall, suggest trimming down when you are well rested, can focus and under good lighting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:25 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Bumping this thread up About to start hacking on a ILBE I just got. You guys have all inspired me =-) Cant wait to give it a shot. I have a bunch of packs Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Hill People Gear. But this is the most fun I think I will have hacking up a pack =-). Thanks for the inspiration. I also have a Kifaru Duplex Belt and an HPG Prairie belt so will test both out with this pack.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:45 pm 

SHTFCO wrote:
Bumping this thread up About to start hacking on a ILBE I just got. You guys have all inspired me =-) Cant wait to give it a shot. I have a bunch of packs Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Hill People Gear. But this is the most fun I think I will have hacking up a pack =-). Thanks for the inspiration. I also have a Kifaru Duplex Belt and an HPG Prairie belt so will test both out with this pack.

Best of luck! I need to update this thread, i hacked some more off since my last post.

I like the kifaru belt for how it cups your hips but the HPG belt gives me a couple extra inches of frame height compared to most belts so it's my current favorite.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:24 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Good thing I have both to try out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next