ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *2018 update*

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Ten Eight
* * * * *
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Florida

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Rolltop!

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:54 am

What's a non rapey price for one of these? 30-40$? I need a frame of reference for when I visit the local surplus shop this weekend. I don't want to overpay too bad.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

User avatar
SR69
*
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:01 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie (Lucio Fulci)
Location: http://survivalistbasecamp.freeforums.net/posts/recent
Contact:

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Rolltop!

Post by SR69 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:22 am

Ten Eight wrote:What's a non rapey price for one of these? 30-40$? I need a frame of reference for when I visit the local surplus shop this weekend. I don't want to overpay too bad.
The absolute lowest I've seen on these has been in the 30 dollar range for a main pack with no starps, or waistbelt and in poor condition. I considered buying one as a back up for parts for my ILBE. You can find them on eBay in poor-fair conditions for about 40, but after shipping, they come out to about $55. Fort the record, I paid $68. for mine new/unissued.

BUT! Having said all that, if you managed to secure one in fair condition for around the 50 dollar mark, you're STILL going to get a pack that is eons beyond anything else you can get at that price range period. It's that good a pack IMO.

I ended up just getting about 6' of USGI webbing & a pack or replacement buckles for $15./shipped and am using the divider in the middle and the radio pouch as repair material in a small kit I put together for it as a repair kit along with about 100' of USGI V69 thread in OD and a #14 Sail Needle. I will still probably pick up an extra main pack for parts.
My Wilderness Survival Discussion Forum:
LINK: http://survivalistbasecamp.freeforums.net/posts/recent

User avatar
Ten Eight
* * * * *
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Florida

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Rolltop!

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:54 am

Awesome! Thanks for the insight.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Rolltop!

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm

SR69 wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:What's a non rapey price for one of these? 30-40$? I need a frame of reference for when I visit the local surplus shop this weekend. I don't want to overpay too bad.
The absolute lowest I've seen on these has been in the 30 dollar range for a main pack with no starps, or waistbelt and in poor condition. I considered buying one as a back up for parts for my ILBE. You can find them on eBay in poor-fair conditions for about 40, but after shipping, they come out to about $55. Fort the record, I paid $68. for mine new/unissued.

BUT! Having said all that, if you managed to secure one in fair condition for around the 50 dollar mark, you're STILL going to get a pack that is eons beyond anything else you can get at that price range period. It's that good a pack IMO.
I concur, I paid $35 for the bag, no lid no straps no belt, on ebay. one of the loadlifters was pulled out and required repair.

if your resourceful you can get better belts and straps then what they come with, but if you want a ready to go solution $50 should buy you a bag with straps and belt with some sand or fading (usually no lid). for a really good condition complete pack (straps, belt, lid), especially a gen II (coyote instead of black padding) I don't think $100 is an unreasonable amount to pay if it fits you well (if you are 6' or under it should, I'm 6'2" and would love another inch of frame).
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Rolltop!

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Little update, the ILBE experiment continues.

went walking in a steady drizzle, rolltop seems to have adequate water resistance, I used 330d cordura so it's pretty thin and the coating wasn't as noticeable but so far so good.

been playing with belt options, this week it's a kifaru omni-belt:

Image

not as nice as the duplex hipbelt, but possibly better for me then the ILBE belt. Have to dig up my bora belt tomorrow before I can report on any weight savings.

the upper tensioner strap on the belt is quite nice though, I didn't connect it on the duplex but it really does suck the pack into your back. I used the loop from one of the compression straps I cut off, fortunately I left the tail.

I have a Hill People Gear prairie belt in the mail, so that will be the next test.

Image
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

vthunter
* *
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: original "Night of the Living Dead"
Resident Evil series
Zombieland

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Rolltop!

Post by vthunter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:00 am

TenEight, I don't work for these guys but, to help on frame of reference, check out SPG:

Used, in very good condition, they say, $72, if Buyer's Club; $80, if not...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/u ... ?a=1344328.

Looks like the Gen2 with coyote 'furniture'.

SPG has free or reduced shpg from time to time (code = SH1675 for 4.95 s/h right now):

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/main ... key=SH1675


Coleman's, has at same price as SPG non-buyers club:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/usmc-dig ... -2750.html

RonnyRonin, fya, looks like Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet has new ILBE repair kits for $25:

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/US ... p/4076.htm



vthunter

User avatar
Ten Eight
* * * * *
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Florida

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Rolltop!

Post by Ten Eight » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:18 am

vthunter wrote:TenEight, I don't work for these guys but, to help on frame of reference, check out SPG:

Used, in very good condition, they say, $72, if Buyer's Club; $80, if not...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/u ... ?a=1344328.

Looks like the Gen2 with coyote 'furniture'.

SPG has free or reduced shpg from time to time (code = SH1675 for 4.95 s/h right now):

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/main ... key=SH1675


Coleman's, has at same price as SPG non-buyers club:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/usmc-dig ... -2750.html

RonnyRonin, fya, looks like Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet has new ILBE repair kits for $25:

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/US ... p/4076.htm



vthunter
Excellent. Thanks.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Rolltop!

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:32 am

vthunter wrote: RonnyRonin, fya, looks like Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet has new ILBE repair kits for $25:

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/US ... p/4076.htm

vthunter

Ha! looks like everything I cut off in one convenient package. that is a pretty good price for what all it includes though.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

User avatar
SR69
*
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:01 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie (Lucio Fulci)
Location: http://survivalistbasecamp.freeforums.net/posts/recent
Contact:

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Rolltop!

Post by SR69 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:19 pm

RonnyRonin wrote: I don't think $100 is an unreasonable amount to pay if it fits you well (if you are 6' or under it should, I'm 6'2" and would love another inch of frame).
Absolutely. Knowing what I know today, I'd gladly pay a hundred bucks for an ILBE in excellent condition.
You just cannot beat it for the money. Again, its' a $400. Arc'Tyrex Bora on steriods (meaning: BETTER).
I know that they accept Arc'Teryx belts and shoulder straps so if someone could source them seperately
and get a base pack (just the ruck itself), they could have something to play with cheap.
My Wilderness Survival Discussion Forum:
LINK: http://survivalistbasecamp.freeforums.net/posts/recent

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Pack frame!

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:30 pm

New ILBE variant, courtesy of Ccombs on the Hill People Gear forums:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tab ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pics reposted with permission:

Image

Image

Image

Image

ILBE hauler frame with cargo panel! I'm personally looking for ILBE number 4 so I can try this myself. coupled with the USMC sealline ILBE liner this could be a pretty slick dry bag hauler. ILBE+kifaru belt can still cost under $100, and this would get you pretty close to the performance of a 24" duplex frame with a cargo panel ($400+?). Alternatively you could chop it all the way off and have the cheapest internal/external hybrid pack frame in history. With some reinforcement along the top edge I bet a cookie this would mate with ALICE/FILBE/Mystery ranch NICE pack bags.

can't believe I didn't think of this!
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Hunt4lyf
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:52 pm

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat UPDATE: ILBE Pack frame!

Post by Hunt4lyf » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:New ILBE variant, courtesy of Ccombs on the Hill People Gear forums:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tab ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pics reposted with permission:

Image

Image

Image

Image

ILBE hauler frame with cargo panel! I'm personally looking for ILBE number 4 so I can try this myself. coupled with the USMC sealline ILBE liner this could be a pretty slick dry bag hauler. ILBE+kifaru belt can still cost under $100, and this would get you pretty close to the performance of a 24" duplex frame with a cargo panel ($400+?). Alternatively you could chop it all the way off and have the cheapest internal/external hybrid pack frame in history. With some reinforcement along the top edge I bet a cookie this would mate with ALICE/FILBE/Mystery ranch NICE pack bags.

can't believe I didn't think of this!
I've been looking for pictures of this exact setup for months now, I want the Kifaru Bikini but just can't justify it right now but this I can do. The only use I really have for it is hauling elk quarters out of the hills and I think this would work great. Thanks!!!

Ccombs
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by Ccombs » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:49 am

RonnyRonin, Thanks for posting those pics. After wearing this thing around a time or two I've decided i dont care for the shoulder straps much. Any ideas on other straps that will work on this frame?

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 pm

Ccombs wrote:RonnyRonin, Thanks for posting those pics. After wearing this thing around a time or two I've decided i dont care for the shoulder straps much. Any ideas on other straps that will work on this frame?

The Hill People Gear shoulder harness work like a champ, I'm up to three sets. I've used them on the Arcteryx Bora before, the trick is you have to attach the webbing for the harness to the bottom compression straps, or in the case of the ILBE, the front compression straps.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3334
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by moab » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Tony's tactical has the grade "A" ILBE for $99. It's gen II and has all the pouches and lid. Tony is a great guy and charges fair shipping. Not sure how much it will be to you. I have no connection to the guy. Other than I've bought stuff from him in the past. He also has great deals on sleep systems last time I checked. He doesn't sell much. But what he does sell is cheap. CFP90's for cheap too. If your into that.

http://tonystactical.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
Luthifer
* *
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: My movie consumption is shameful. Or awesome. I watch few movies.
Location: NEPA, Wayne

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by Luthifer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Just got a complete ilbe main pack (belt,straps,lid,radio pouch) on amazon for 57 shipped in very good condition. No rips or tears, all straps and buckles functional. Well, the hip belt buckle is busted, so I'm waiting on the seller to correct that, but still, 57 bucks. Bought from Allegheny Outfitters in PA. We'll see how they do replacing the hip belt. Not sure how a busted one got out the door, it takes like, 4 seconds to check, whut?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Not Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3334
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by moab » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:33 pm

Luthifer wrote:Just got a complete ilbe main pack (belt,straps,lid,radio pouch) on amazon for 57 shipped in very good condition. No rips or tears, all straps and buckles functional. Well, the hip belt buckle is busted, so I'm waiting on the seller to correct that, but still, 57 bucks. Bought from Allegheny Outfitters in PA. We'll see how they do replacing the hip belt. Not sure how a busted one got out the door, it takes like, 4 seconds to check, whut?
Allegheny is a good place. Bought a lot from them. I'm sure they'll do you right. And wow what a deal!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:32 pm

moab wrote:Tony's tactical has the grade "A" ILBE for $99. It's gen II and has all the pouches and lid. Tony is a great guy and charges fair shipping. Not sure how much it will be to you. I have no connection to the guy. Other than I've bought stuff from him in the past. He also has great deals on sleep systems last time I checked. He doesn't sell much. But what he does sell is cheap. CFP90's for cheap too. If your into that.

http://tonystactical.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thanks for the tip, his ILBE day packs or only a few bucks more then the trashed ones on ebay, might have to grab one.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

User avatar
Luthifer
* *
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: My movie consumption is shameful. Or awesome. I watch few movies.
Location: NEPA, Wayne

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by Luthifer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Looks like Allegheny is going to send a replacement buckle. So far so good. I see that they have the VGC complete main for 54 shipped on amazon now. It's here, under the used offerings. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UV ... r=&sr=8-14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine's a little salty, and Very Good might be a slight stretch, but for under 60, I'm not complaining. Much.

I just got the modern version of the Italian Army pack, and it's pretty badass. 90L, all molle-ed out, and some nice features. I can't quite decide if I hate the shoulder straps, and hence the ilbe for comparison.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Not Benjamin Franklin

Ryodan
*
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by Ryodan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:46 pm

RonnyRonin what belt did you end up going with? I know you had tested a few and last mention had another one coming in the mail to try out.

warlan
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:52 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: WALKING DEAD
Location: NY

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by warlan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Cool mods
Not for me though
Still like the pack as is. Only moded the lid
My lid has a secondary velcro closure
Carry handle
Custome strap system to side cary

All excess straps have been wrapped up with MEDI wrapp
I am going to ad molle to the hip belt

I have been busy building a new pack

I have a short video on it so far
It's on you tube under go bags
Warlan is my YouTube name as well
I have a cool bk11 sheath mod
GEAR UP!

warlan
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:52 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: WALKING DEAD
Location: NY

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by warlan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:35 pm

For packing this big pack I will be in the near future buying eagle creek pack pods to seperate my gear
GEAR UP!

warlan
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:52 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: WALKING DEAD
Location: NY

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by warlan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:07 pm

New gear goal 7 solar panel
Goal 8 battery
Mophie out door case
750 mil rechargeable flashlight usb
SAR LAZER
GEAR UP!

User avatar
aikorob
* * *
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by aikorob » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:23 am

Warlan---I am interested in your molle hip belt mods
can't seem to find your vid---do you have a direct link?
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame*

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Ryodan wrote:RonnyRonin what belt did you end up going with? I know you had tested a few and last mention had another one coming in the mail to try out.
so far I've tried an old Mountainsmith belt, a kifaru omnibelt, a hill people gear prairie belt, a home-made prairie belt knock-off and a kifaru duplex. might have forgotten one in there.

kifaru duplex is by far the best, the HPG one is nice but doesn't play as nice with the bigger lumbar pad. Honestly I'd pay more for a duplex belt then I'd pay for an ILBE, if you shop around long enough though you could get both for under a $100 and have a seriously BA pack. Kifaru forums seems the best place to find one.
I briefly had a Kifaru Zulu and ended up selling it, I'd hazard that an ILBE with K-belt will keep up with most of the 22 and 24" framed kifarus. quality certainly isn't as high, but your hips probably won't know the difference. Once you get into the 26" frames the Kifarus are going to carry noticeably better, my 26 duplex frame is certainly more comfortable then my ILBEs.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”