ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *2018 update*

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *cracked the 5lb barrier?*

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Yup, thanks photobucket. There is content all over the internet now that is next to useless, and a lot from users that aren't active (or are even dead) that we may never see again.

Eventually I will resurrect at least my photos here or somewhere else, I've been meaning to start a blog for years. In fact I was just thinking today that I should dig my ILBE out and cut some more off of it.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

sjolly75
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *cracked the 5lb barrier?*

Post by sjolly75 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:45 am

RonnyRonin wrote:Yup, thanks photobucket. There is content all over the internet now that is next to useless, and a lot from users that aren't active (or are even dead) that we may never see again.
I re-uploaded my images to Flickr, and fixed my post way back on page 1 for those interested.
EMCS(SW)
US Navy, Retired

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Re: ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *2018 update*

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:08 pm

Tried to repost some of the old pictures in the original posts, got many but not all.

2018 update:

finally took the needed leap to chop off the backpanel padding and the harness mounting velcro under it, saved 3 oz:

also replaced the stock lumbar pad I've never been fond of, went with a HPG style simple cordura sleeve that I can add and remove foam to taste. netted me another 2 oz:

One of the more technical mods, I removed one of the large side access zippers and sewed the zipper flap down to cover the hole. I'm tempted to remove the other one as well since I almost never used them, but I can always do that later. Saves 2oz per zipper:

Went in and unstitched a few of the spots around the pack that I had lazily just chopped off and left stubs, probably picked up another oz overall:

I ripped out the old roll top and spruced it up a bit with a better stiffening ring and buckles, also tore out the last remnants of the old black drawstring closure that had been connecting the rolltop to the cordura body. I'm glad I never got around to trimming the compression straps, found out they are long enough to hook up a pretty sweet HPG Ute style pulley compression system; extra compression as well as easier external hauling on the front of the pack:

you may also notice I made the lower front lashing straps removable, I just cut them off leaving enough webbing to sew on a metal 3-bar slider to add them back on when needed. I also stole one of the straps I cut off elsewhere to build a much longer over-the-top strap to accommodate the extra capacity of the rolltop.

A view of the new lumbar pad with a rare shot of The_Alias' kilted leg:

Final weight as it sits now with HPG harness and belt and bamboo frame stays (don't ask) is 4lbs 9oz. Using carbon arrows will drop a few more oz, and using the stock aluminum ones will add several back on. Removing the pack padding and using taller stays together improve the load handling quite a lot, despite weighing half as much as the issued pack it is more comfortable and gives up almost nothing on load hauling or durability.

If you were willing to trim off the bottle pockets, the second zipper and go down to 4 compression straps you could easily get under 4lbs with carbon arrow frame stays, putting it in a very small club of lightweight huge capacity packs.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”