Nalgene + Nested cup = Scrapes

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: Nalgene + Nested cup = Scrapes

Post by moab » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Just wanted to post an update. I already had another Olicamp cup coming my way. Got it this week. And it is not as tight as the first one I bought. And thus does NOT scrape the Nalgene. Wish I would have tested this right out of the box. As I would have returned the tighter one. Live and learn I guess. I still love the cup. Just make sure you get a looser one.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:54 pm

If your gear doesn't have dirt/sand/scratches/scrapes/wear... you are not using it right/enough/at all.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

moab

Post by moab » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Yes. Scrapes and scratches are to be expected and earned. ;) But this looked like it was going to lesson the life of my bottle with just normal use. I think I will shave down the rivets on the one that is too tight. As I think once it's not tight it won't matter how sharp the edges are on the rivets it won't scrape it anymore. Plus I have some air tools/grinders that I know I can round the edges with. At this point it can't hurt. If I f it up. I'll just buy another one.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 pm

You should polish the rivets. Don't grind on them to change their dimension at all, but hit them up with some like 400 grit sandpaper.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:31 pm

moab wrote:Just wanted to post an update. I already had another Olicamp cup coming my way. Got it this week. And it is not as tight as the first one I bought. And thus does NOT scrape the Nalgene. Wish I would have tested this right out of the box. As I would have returned the tighter one. Live and learn I guess. I still love the cup. Just make sure you get a looser one.
First scrapes on a Nalgene and now we have a thread on sticker goo. What is this world coming too.

That said I would have replaced the cup as well.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
moab wrote:Just wanted to post an update. I already had another Olicamp cup coming my way. Got it this week. And it is not as tight as the first one I bought. And thus does NOT scrape the Nalgene. Wish I would have tested this right out of the box. As I would have returned the tighter one. Live and learn I guess. I still love the cup. Just make sure you get a looser one.
First scrapes on a Nalgene and now we have a thread on sticker goo. What is this world coming too.

That said I would have replaced the cup as well.
Good news is I contacted the bay seller and he's exchanging the tight one out. Nice guy.

Seriously? Sticker goo? LOL!

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

This stuff works great for sticker goo.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Aikibiker wrote:Image

This stuff works great for sticker goo.
so does acetone. I've heard good stuff about the above to though. Everytime we go to the beach here in Socal (right by the oil refineries) you inevitably get hunks of oil stuck to the bottoms of your feet. So we keep a can of acetone and a brush in the garage. Soak a rag with it, hold it over the offending goo and then scrub it. Will come right off.

Rawles' rejects

Post by Rawles' rejects » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:44 am

I guess I dont see a big deal with scratches on a bottle...that and I wish I could afford to run out and buy a new cup just because my bottle was getting scratched! Those Nalgene bottles are pretty thick and would take one hell of a lot to wear those thin rivits through the side.
But, Good for you Im glad you are happy with your gear! as long as you trust it thats what matters!

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:35 am

moab wrote:Everytime we go to the beach here in Socal (right by the oil refineries) you inevitably get hunks of oil stuck to the bottoms of your feet. So we keep a can of acetone and a brush in the garage. Soak a rag with it, hold it over the offending goo and then scrub it. Will come right off.
Cheap baby oil will do the same.
WD40 too.

Chunks/blobs of tar came in with tide down in Texas gulf.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Drifting further OT here ...
bltjr1951 wrote:
moab wrote:Everytime we go to the beach here in Socal (right by the oil refineries) you inevitably get hunks of oil stuck to the bottoms of your feet. So we keep a can of acetone and a brush in the garage. Soak a rag with it, hold it over the offending goo and then scrub it. Will come right off.
Cheap baby oil will do the same.
WD40 too.

Chunks/blobs of tar came in with tide down in Texas gulf.
We had the same problem after the Torrey Canyon sank back in '67. We used to scrape the tar off with a blunt edge (the back of a knife, a popsicle stick or even a sea shell) then use dish soap to shift the last traces. It's easier on your skin than acetone, and (according to my chemistry teacher) has less risk of transporting the chemicals in the tar *through* your skin and into your bloodstream.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:50 pm

sheddi wrote:Drifting further OT here ...
It's easier on your skin than acetone, and (according to my chemistry teacher) has less risk of transporting the chemicals in the tar *through* your skin and into your bloodstream.
Since he started thread, if he wants to drift OT I'll follow him.

Baby oil is used on babies.
And folk have used WD40 to ease joint pain.

But the goo info should have been posted on goo thread.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”