The world's most ridiculous bug out gear!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: The world's most ridiculous bug out gear!

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 08, 2020 9:30 am

moab wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:29 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:27 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:54 pm
Most ridiculous in price.
Possibly an understatement. When does a price increase become price gouging?
When they try to charge $32 for ten rolls of toilet paper?
That's one. :evil:

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue May 12, 2020 1:35 pm

I present to you the ultimate in manual cutting systems: the Kukrax.

Do you like the cutting power and utility of kukris? The simplicity of purpose of an ax? Just put the two in a room, add a bit of bow-chicka-wow-wow, and you end up with this beaut:

Seriously, though, that looks a lot like a solution in search of something to solve. I think I'd rather the simplicity of a wood-hafted hatchet, or the flexibility of a kukri, but not something which to my eye combines the unrepairability of a kukri with the relative specialization of a hatchet.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:56 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Do you like the cutting power and utility of kukris? The simplicity of purpose of an ax? Just put the two in a room, add a bit of bow-chicka-wow-wow, and you end up with this beaut:

Seriously, though, that looks a lot like a solution in search of something to solve. I think I'd rather the simplicity of a wood-hafted hatchet, or the flexibility of a kukri, but not something which to my eye combines the unrepairability of a kukri with the relative specialization of a hatchet.
Part of me is wishing we had a "WTF Knife of the Month" thread like we did in the Firearms section of the forums.

And I can't be the only one who thinks that handle looks uncomfortable as all hell.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:11 pm

boskone wrote:

I hereby rename that to the, Shin Splitter 2020
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:00 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:56 pm
boskone wrote:

Part of me is wishing we had a "WTF Knife of the Month" thread like we did in the Firearms section of the forums.

And I can't be the only one who thinks that handle looks uncomfortable as all hell.
I actually saw a--reputable--YouTuber review it. Apparently it really does work better than a regular hatchet; cuts better for less weight.

I think I'll stick with a hatchet, though, since if I messed up the handle I can at least carve a field-expedient hatchet handle, and they don't really weight all that much.

I suppose it might be nice for ultralighters, if any of them carry a cutting implement larger than some minimalist razor knife or whatever.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:00 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:56 pm
boskone wrote:

I actually saw a--reputable--YouTuber review it. Apparently it really does work better than a regular hatchet; cuts better for less weight.

I think I'll stick with a hatchet, though, since if I messed up the handle I can at least carve a field-expedient hatchet handle, and they don't really weight all that much.

I suppose it might be nice for ultralighters, if any of them carry a cutting implement larger than some minimalist razor knife or whatever.
Which YouTuber reviewed it ?

Because if it's Nutnfancy, "reputable" is not the word I'd use to describe him. "Long-winded" would probably be the word I'd use.

Because man that guy likes to hear himself talk.

ETA: Ok, so it's not NutnFancy.

The guy who reviewed this thing makes some good points, but I'm sticking with a hatchet or axe for cutting wood.

scuffedboots
Favorite Zombie Movies: Return of the Living Dead

Post by scuffedboots » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:09 pm

Surprised those ninja foot spikes don't have a single review after all this time, haha.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:47 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:48 pm

I actually bought one of these and gave to a retired Marine buddy as a Christmas gift.
I had an old friend who joined the Marines. On our second homecoming outing after his second combat tour, i took him to the range, at his request. I brought 20+ guns, including a SMLE. He was seated at a table, i loaded it, chambered a round, and placed it in his hands, with the standard "full mag, chambered round, safety off" statement. He shouldered it, sort-of sighted it (mountain as a backstop, so no worries) and pulled the trigger. Gun fires, he sort-of re-sighted it, and pulled the trigger again. When it didn't go "bang!", he looks at me confusedly, but does keep the muzzle pointed firmly towards the mountainside, which tops out over 2,000 feet over the firing position in less than the distance that it takes for a standard velocity. 22lr to lose it's lethality in free flight. I explained "Dude, it's a bolt action, as I demonstrated how to cycle the bolt and gave it back to him. He shoulders it, pulls the trigger, the gun fires, he re-shoulders it, and pulls the trigger again, and looks up when it doesn't fire with the same confused look. I took the gun from him, unloaded it, and for the rest of the day, gave him nothing but semi and full-auto guns, but insisted on being a German-style assistant gunner on the belt guns, so I could sharply twist the belts if he'd have done something else goofy.

I should have known that he was special after our first outing, which was my pick: an institution with 10k+ available women where you could be missing an arm and a leg, have chronic halitosis, and have been born ugly and STILL pick up a reasonabley attractive, age appropriate non-pro if you offered to buy them a second domestic bottled beer, or if you just physically got them a beer from the free provided kegs. He STILL didn't hook up with anyone. Before you think some form of service-related anxiety disorder, he was like that in high, school, too. :shock:

Yes. My friend Dan didn't NEED Ninja Gear. He was a TRUE Ninja. I'm only using his real name because, alas, he's no longer with us.

In these trying times, i wish that I could still grab a beer and share an order of fried pickles with him, so that he could puke in the passenger floorboard in repayment for my picking up his check, and staying sober enough to drive him home. I even bought a car without carpet so I could just hose it out after every time we went out...
"I can't take up my musket and fight'em now no more,
but I ain't gonna love'em, now that is certain sure,
and I don't want no pardon for what I was and am.
I won't be Reconstructed, and I don't care a damn."

IAmOne
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead Outside

Post by IAmOne » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:52 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:34 am
For those early mornings in the PAW....your manual espresso maker. By Ali Express. Make sure you have one in your bugout bag today!

I don't know about bugout gear, but my Mrs. bought me one of these a few years back and I absolutely love it. Tends to be used 4AM in hotel rooms rather than on the trail, but an espresso is an espresso.
Insert here a quote, Hemingway or Orwell, maybe Atwood that will really, really irritate someone.

Willmark

Post by Willmark » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:08 pm

[snipped as it wont allow for the graphic]
From page one: https://www.range365.com/preppers-meet- ... ber-rifle/

Obviously coming to this late,but this is certainly an interesting concept, and apparently not a new idea either.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... ber-rifle/

I'm also sure that there are probably other systems out there now? EDIT: yeah obviously a whole host of them
RickOShea wrote:
Citizen711 wrote:
So, you're going to go with an inferior rifle so you won't be tempted to spend more money on it after the fact? Interesting bit of logic there.
Some folks just want a decent rifle, not a new religion.

reno2507

Post by reno2507 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:15 pm

moab wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:02 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:12 pm

What's that guys name on the right? I swear I was just watching him today. Thinking what a tool.
I don't know, but remember him from the show "American Preppers" when he shot himself in the thumb! :D Since then saw him in ASG magazine..Not sure I would take ANY prep advice from him..Preppy and prepper are NOT the same :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

reno2507

Post by reno2507 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:52 pm

wpick wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:23 pm
You gotta admit he comes up with some "interesting" ideas and gadgets.
Maybe he'll come up with a clever Klevar thumb protector for his other thumb :D
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

reno2507

Post by reno2507 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:06 pm

Ellywick wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:45 am
RickOShea wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 pm
Escape & Survival Module

The Escape & Survival Module was developed for an elite US military unit, but it also can be a lifesaving device for those who travel in harm’s way or in dangerous regions. This kit provides effective tools to enable escape from captivity and subsequent survival. It's all contained in a special o-ring sealed module which was designed to provide maximum concealment options when capture is imminent.

Despite its small size, it includes all of the following components: 4 lock picks, handcuff key, 2 styles of lock shims, Kevlar® escape saw, diamond rod saw, ferrocerium fire rod, 3 waxed jute fire starters, and ceramic razor blade. Even the module itself is a working component – it's milled from magnesium and can be shaved down with the back edge of the ceramic razor blade for fire starting. Also included is a small packet of petrolatum (does not fit inside the module), for uses that include first aid, fire accelerant, etc.

Government contract over-runs, so quantities are very limited. Dimensions and weight (w/o petrolatum packet): 3.2” length x 0.7” diameter, 1.1 oz. $89.00

All I can think of when I see it is that it needs some ridges and a vibrate function so you can enjoy yourself while you're waiting to make your big escape :lol: :wink: Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought this?
OMG, I cry laughed at the above reply :lol:

reno2507

Post by reno2507 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:11 pm

moab wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:16 am
Stercutus wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:56 pm
Designed by engineers for engineers.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/leupold-r ... gLEtPD_BwE

Engineers are the sexiest!
Hey I'm an Enginier..Enginear..Enjineer....I'm good at math... :lol:

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:38 pm

reno2507 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:11 pm
moab wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:16 am
Stercutus wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:56 pm
Designed by engineers for engineers.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/leupold-r ... gLEtPD_BwE

Engineers are the sexiest!
Hey I'm an Enginier..Enginear..Enjineer....I'm good at math... :lol:
Injured nerd?

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:10 pm

SMoAF wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:47 am

In these trying times, i wish that I could still grab a beer and share an order of fried pickles with him, so that he could puke in the passenger floorboard in repayment for my picking up his check, and staying sober enough to drive him home. I even bought a car without carpet so I could just hose it out after every time we went out...
:cry:

Sometimes I'm surprised to miss people I've never met.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 04, 2021 7:02 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:10 pm
SMoAF wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:47 am

:cry:

Sometimes I'm surprised to miss people I've never met.
No kidding.

One of my biggest regrets in life is not meeting SMoAF when I had the chance.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:11 pm
My wife's contribution:

Ear pro. Cuz who has that stashed in their bag?

Actually, those look nice. I wonder if she will let me buy them.....
(puts hand up and digs multiple sets of ear pro out of his pockets and bug out bags, including that set of muffs)

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue May 04, 2021 10:15 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:11 pm
My wife's contribution:

Ear pro. Cuz who has that stashed in their bag?

Actually, those look nice. I wonder if she will let me buy them.....
(puts hand up and digs multiple sets of ear pro out of his pockets and bug out bags, including that set of muffs)
I don't have muffs in anything but my range box, but I do keep earpro and eyepro in all of my bags.

My tinnitus is bad enough, a maybe 1.5x.75 inch plastic box for some ear plugs is just a good investment in keeping my ears at least moderately useful.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 04, 2021 11:23 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:15 pm
I don't have muffs in anything but my range box, but I do keep earpro and eyepro in all of my bags.

My tinnitus is bad enough, a maybe 1.5x.75 inch plastic box for some ear plugs is just a good investment in keeping my ears at least moderately useful.
40 years ago the Navy got me started (after destroying my hearing making me man a 3" mount with no ear pro) keeping a set of earplugs on my keyring. These days it's a pair of foam plugs and a pair of Safariland Impulse types (which are really cool) but I still carry them.

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 05, 2021 12:20 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:23 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:15 pm
I don't have muffs in anything but my range box, but I do keep earpro and eyepro in all of my bags. My tinnitus is bad enough, a maybe 1.5x.75 inch plastic box for some ear plugs is just a good investment in keeping my ears at least moderately useful.
40 years ago the Navy got me started (after destroying my hearing making me man a 3" mount with no ear pro) keeping a set of earplugs on my keyring. These days it's a pair of foam plugs and a pair of Safariland Impulse types (which are really cool) but I still carry them.
Listed w/High Priority. (has earpros in range bag) :D

Return to “Bug Out Gear”