Why are tents such ugly damn colors?!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Why are tents such ugly damn colors?!

Post by moab » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Why can't someone make an economical tent in nice subdued solid colors? Is that so hard? Was looking at Kelty and a few others. Man the colors are like vomit. lol.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Why are tents such ugly damn colors?!

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 pm

It makes tracking the bear that shreds and eats it a lot easier?

I dunno.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Alps Mountaineering Lynx 2

Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:27 am

Far be it from me to defend the recreational outdoor gear industry's general migration away from subdued, earthy colors, which are my preference. I come from an era when the wilderness ethic included the strong belief that equipment should blend in, to reduce the visual impact of your presence in the backcountry. Back then you tended to see a lot of greens, browns and tans. Rust orange and navy blue were considered the wild colors.

But one of the reasons you see brighter colors on tent walls and flies is to create an airier, more pleasant experience living inside the tent, at least during the day.

Brighter, even garish colors are also easier to spot in wilderness rescue situations, or for getting back to your tent in low light conditions.

The other thing I keep reminding myself is that tent manufacturers want to sell as many tents as possible. That means their target market is younger than I am. Millennials really seem to like bright colors.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:11 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:27 am
The other thing I keep reminding myself is that tent manufacturers want to sell as many tents as possible. That means their target market is younger than I am. Millennials really seem to like bright colors.
Allow me to paraphrase that for you... "Ooooh! Pretty!" :ooh:

:mrgreen:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Kid_Couteau

Post by Kid_Couteau » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:40 am

We live in a world of MOM MOM LOOK AT ME types
Thus the bright colors

My idea on it anyway LOL
Kid

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:11 pm

There's always military surplus.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 pm

Companies sell the tents that people want to buy.

Some people like different things, and thats OK.

buuuuuut.....

Lots of earth tone tents at reasonable prices, maybe not so many at disposable gear prices. Seek Outside, Kifaru, Hillegburg, REI, Big Agnes, Mountainsmith, and plenty of others are selling them RIGHT NOW. In fact, its actually a pretty good season for earth tones, the best we've had in awhile, subdued colors are back in style and quite common. It seems those darn millennials that are always ruining everything for everyone happen to like olive drab at the moment.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one. And I'm glad to hear from Ronnyronin that there are some subdued colors out this year. I'll have to look harder. Not in the market for a new tent. But when I bought my Marmot Trailight 2p a few years ago. It had a pic of a really nice brown color. Only to find out when I got it that it was damn near Kelly Green. One of my least favorite colors. I've thought about dying the rain fly with brown RIT dye. But never tried it. I know it will dye just about any plastic or cordura military clothing or gear. There are several YT vids on doing it. Maybe I'll have to resort to that. No idea what to do about my down bags. (I was looking at those last night too. And dismayed to find that my $150 0F kelty bags could now be had for about the same price new in dridown. I guess I'll have to sell those off and replace them with dridown eventually. That's the one faulty point in down - getting it wet. Not that I'm as worried about surviving in a wet down bag as I am in simply wanting to keep my bag as dry as possible while using it.)

I was looking on Gearx the other night when I wrote this. They have a pretty big selection but some are from last years models. So perhaps I missed offerings from those Ronny mentioned. I'll have to look closer.

But it's not just tents. Everything seems to be a flashback to the 70's. Oranges, blues, reds, yellow. And everything seems to be two tone. Something else I can't stand to look at. Never liked a two tone car. Or sleeping bag, or jacket, or tent! I don't need military multicam. (although that would be nice) But just some one color tents or sleeping bags in brown or tan or od green - maybe ranger green.

I agree with the "oh look at me" fashion trends of outdoor gear the last couple decades. But I also wonder if companies get a price break on fabric that is a butt ugly color. Who else is gonna buy that emergency yellow fabric?!!! You'd think everyone living in a tent or sleeping back is simultaneously hunting at the same time. And trying not to get shot. It just hurts my eyes. lol.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks Ronny. Here are some of those tents you mention for 2019. I really like this Mountainsmith 3p tent. It's $300. Not bad for a 3p tent. And at 5lbs with no footprint. It's a good option.

https://mountainsmith.com/vasquez-peak-3.html

Not really a subdued color but at least it's one color. This offering from Big Agnes is an ultralight option. But at $600 for a 2p tent I'm not in that league. But it's 2-2.5lbs. Which is pretty killer.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Copper-Spur-2-Platinum

Here's another solid ok color from REI. Like a light light beige green/tan sort of? But what's with these weight descriptions?! It says Minimum Trail Weight 2 lbs. 8 oz. Fly/Footprint Pitch Weight 2 pounds. Packaged Weight 2 lbs. 14 oz. ???!!! Can we just put a "total weight" on it? I mean does "packaged" weight include the cardboard box or what? Confusing. Not a good description. But for $330 and less than 3lbs that's pretty good. Still wish it were a bit darker color.

https://www.rei.com/product/147863/rei- ... -sl-2-tent

Return to “Bug Out Gear”