Game of Thrones HBO; All Seasons with Spoilers

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jor-el

Re: Game of Thrones HBO Series (it's NSFW) Spoilers Ahead

Post by jor-el » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Dedsquirrl wrote:
crashin wrote:I agree with the previous assessment of the books. They are brutal. I'm excited about the movie series, but I've been waiting forever for the next book and I'm a bit spiteful for having to wait so damned long.
Martin's publisher announced that Dance with Dragons is coming out on July 12th.
Martin confirmed it on his web site.

I am rereading too.
The books are set up perfect for rereading.
Skim the chapters about your least favorite characters and dive right into your favorites.
Each chapter is headed by the name of the most prominent character. It's like reading a script, not surprising given GRRM's screenwriting background.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:06 pm

When reading the books, I always groan to myself whenever Catylen or Sansa's names come up.

crashin

Post by crashin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:15 am

ZMace wrote:When reading the books, I always groan to myself whenever Catylen or Sansa's names come up.
The movie has the same effect for Sansa's character.

SgtVeXX

Post by SgtVeXX » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:23 pm

I look forward to the Arya and John Snow segments the most while reading and watching.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:00 pm

I agree with you Sgt, but also throw in Daenarys (or however you spell that name I have read 100 times).

Dedsquirrl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bubba's Chili Parlor
Dawn of the Dead
Outpost (Not sure if it qualifies)
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Dedsquirrl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:28 pm

ZMace wrote:I agree with you Sgt, but also throw in Daenarys (or however you spell that name I have read 100 times).
I can take or leave Dany chapters.
Not that I dislike Dany, she is just so far removed from everyone else.

Tyrion and Davos rock.
Sansa makes me want to punch a puppy in the face. But I think that is the point.
And the Brienne chapters almost made me put the book down.
That chick is boring.

Whichever POV finally introduces me to Howland Reed will become my new favorite.

"The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'"
Edd Tollett

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Mon May 02, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm starting to get some insight into the world of LOST fanatics. I am already absolutely addicted to this show. Everything is good. Even the minor, bit part actors are great. For example, last night's scene in which the nurse or whoever is telling Bran stories and launches into the description of what happened during winters past. The sword play is also really well done. The sets are fantastic. I loathe the characters I am meant to loathe and I really want to see the heroes succeed. Everything is impressive right now. Awesomesauce. :D

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon May 02, 2011 10:38 pm

I've only read The Game of Thrones and was not that interested in it. Was a lot going on for just something I was hoping was a good daily commute book - I needed a flow chartto keep track of all the characters. I also read it at a time my reading tastes started changing.

That said - I love the TV show. Production is awesome, I love the little "historical" details like flagons and architecture. The fantasy I like has realistic details like that that bring me in to something comfortable and that makes sense to me and then I have a better ability to suspend my belief to allow the fantasy to come in.

Tyrion, I love that little fucker. :lol:
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

crashin

Post by crashin » Wed May 04, 2011 2:32 pm

I just want to say to all who have not read the books....

"Just wait."

It gets so crazy that it will drive you insane like a crack addict.

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:40 pm

crashin wrote:I just want to say to all who have not read the books....

"Just wait."

It gets so crazy that it will drive you insane like a crack addict.
I repeat from page #1...
Wildeman_13 wrote:If you decide to read the books ahead of the show, just keep in mind that Stockholm Syndrom is real and you will experience it. Also, if you dont have time to read the books, just go find a nice dark alley and pay someone $20 to kick you in the junk. It will have the same emotional impact as these books.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat May 07, 2011 10:10 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
Just... wait.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

urthshu
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, etc.

Post by urthshu » Sun May 08, 2011 10:26 am

Haven't found any place to watch this on the net as yet. Any sites?
Let’s Add Graphic Warning Labels to the Communist Manifesto

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun May 08, 2011 2:24 pm

jor-el wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:
Just... wait.
Ooooooohhh crap.... Gonna' make me read the rest of the books hunh?
President ZSC011

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun May 08, 2011 2:58 pm

jor-el wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:
Just... wait.

I've read all the books, and I still like Tyrion.

Equating the emotional impact of the books to a kick in the junk is pretty apt....did anyone else have to put the book down and go lie quietly in a dark room for a while after the Red Wedding? :shock:

basm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).

Post by basm » Sun May 08, 2011 4:27 pm

TDW586 wrote:
jor-el wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote: Tyrion, I love that little fucker. :lol:
Just... wait.

Equating the emotional impact of the books to a kick in the junk is pretty apt....did anyone else have to put the book down and go lie quietly in a dark room for a while after the Red Wedding? :shock:
Oh god.. speaking as one who has not read the books, and is still trying to catch up with the series, I am still reading this thread and trying not to freak out. :lol:

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Sun May 08, 2011 4:59 pm

TDW586 wrote:
jor-el wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:
Just... wait.

I'm starting to get scared about watching this show. LOST ruined my life for 6 years and I'm really not wanting to go through the week to week anxiety, much less the season to season wait, that I have just now started to recover from. At least there are books though. You guys make them sound like sooooo much fun to read. Maybe almost relaxing to read, like Anne of Green Gables maybe?
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Rugger wrote:I'm starting to get scared about watching this show. LOST ruined my life for 6 years and I'm really not wanting to go through the week to week anxiety, much less the season to season wait, that I have just now started to recover from. At least there are books though. You guys make them sound like sooooo much fun to read. Maybe almost relaxing to read, like Anne of Green Gables maybe?

Amazing books, just....stunningly realistic, in some ways. Just because you like someone doesn't mean they're safe, and just because you hate someone doesn't mean they won't live a long, happy life....and even win.

Dedsquirrl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bubba's Chili Parlor
Dawn of the Dead
Outpost (Not sure if it qualifies)
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Dedsquirrl » Sun May 08, 2011 7:55 pm

My big gripe with the tv series, and the reason why you should read the books is because you will miss out on the minor characters that they don't have time for in an hour long show.

Some folks that rock that you know will be either edited out or have their screen time shrunk.

Greatjon
Smalljon
Strong Belwas
Tom o' Sevens
Grenn and Pyp (although maybe not)
We ain't hardly even seen Ghost.... wtf! (they can't keep that up)
the Halfhand
Podrick Payne

and the true main character of the entire series.....

Dolorous Edd.
"The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'"
We should all strive to fight the dead as valiantly as Noble Edd Tollett.

Edd Tollett

Damean

Post by Damean » Mon May 09, 2011 2:54 pm

So yeah, just finished the first book. Holy hell....

yale

Post by yale » Wed May 11, 2011 1:35 am

Rugger wrote: I'm starting to get scared about watching this show. LOST ruined my life for 6 years and I'm really not wanting to go through the week to week anxiety, much less the season to season wait, that I have just now started to recover from. At least there are books though. You guys make them sound like sooooo much fun to read. Maybe almost relaxing to read, like Anne of Green Gables maybe?
I understand your pain and, if I may, here is my suggestion. I listen to all of the reiews and excitement about certain shows and note them. Later, after a series has run its' course I look for a box set/collection of the series and have mini marathons at home. Did this with Rome and Sparticus:Blood and Sand/Gods or the Arena. Just come home from work, made dinner and sat down and watched 1 or 2 episodes before going to bed. About a week to get through each Season. Side effect- Bizzare dreams full of blood, boobs and penises. For the past few weeks I've been working my way through the entire 6 seasons of the Sopranos. I finished that series yesterday and am going to spend some time catching up on some series on HULU before looking for the next series I want to watch.
So wait for Thrones to come out on DVD/Netflix and take a weekend to watch it. Do like some people do Superbowl Sunday. Clear the calender for that day, unplug the phone, order a sandwich tray or pizza and pull a comfy chair up in front of the TV or computer. Beats waiting from week to week.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 am

Instead you wait for months. I don't see how that's better.

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Wed May 11, 2011 5:15 am

I also mainline certain shows, but only if I start to get a little bored of them

I think some shows (I'm looking at you 'The Event') are slow burners and need to be watched in bulk, some shows however, I cannot *wait* at all for
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Wed May 11, 2011 7:38 am

yale wrote:I understand your pain and, if I may, here is my suggestion. I listen to all of the reiews and excitement about certain shows and note them. Later, after a series has run its' course I look for a box set/collection of the series and have mini marathons at home. Did this with Rome and Sparticus:Blood and Sand/Gods or the Arena. Just come home from work, made dinner and sat down and watched 1 or 2 episodes before going to bed. About a week to get through each Season. Side effect- Bizzare dreams full of blood, boobs and penises. For the past few weeks I've been working my way through the entire 6 seasons of the Sopranos. I finished that series yesterday and am going to spend some time catching up on some series on HULU before looking for the next series I want to watch.
So wait for Thrones to come out on DVD/Netflix and take a weekend to watch it. Do like some people do Superbowl Sunday. Clear the calender for that day, unplug the phone, order a sandwich tray or pizza and pull a comfy chair up in front of the TV or computer. Beats waiting from week to week.
Fletch wrote:I also mainline certain shows, but only if I start to get a little bored of them

I think some shows (I'm looking at you 'The Event') are slow burners and need to be watched in bulk, some shows however, I cannot *wait* at all for
I'm with Fletch on this, and I like his terminology for it too. The only problem is when I can't wait and start watching it each week. The Event is a perfect example. Especially with all of the different characters, plot lines, and time frames. Much easier to watch watch all in one sitting. I would also recommend the show "Justified."
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu May 12, 2011 6:45 pm

yale wrote: Side effect- Bizzare dreams full of blood, boobs and penises.
= Spartacus TV series :lol:

"Zeus' Cock!"
President ZSC011

Return to “Zombie Training Films”