"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Tonight's episode of TWD is brought to you by CRUCIFIXSAW IV the movie dot com.

ImageImage

IMHO, gasoline in a small, close room like that would burn your eyes and throat, and the first thing out of your mouth wouldn't be, 'where are they', it'd be, 'GAS!, GTFO NOW!'.

Who's the monster now, beatch?
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:04 pm

flybynight wrote:It's kinda unbelievable ( in a show about zombies haha ) that Maggie who's kinda bad ass and Carol who is become death, destroyer of worlds, could be captured without a rain of ruin and thunderous moan of anguish . Cut short.
... you were saying?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:44 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:Tonight's episode of TWD is brought to you by CRUCIFIXSAW IV the movie dot com.

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING!!!!

I kept asking my girlfriend if she "wanted to play a game" during the whole episode... she made me sleep on the couch... I'm used to that by now... maybe I went too far by wheeling in a doll on a tricycle into the room... don't ask me why I have a doll and a tricycle.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:54 pm

With the amount of times this group has been captured, I would think they would be concealing blades by now.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:29 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
I kept asking my girlfriend if she "wanted to play a game" during the whole episode.
Hmm.....I pretty much kept thinking about advice mallard's words of wisdom.Image

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:57 am

Gotta say I loved the episode. Loved the showing of strong women all around. However the leader of the Negan group was bugging the hell outta me. She had all the gusto/bravado and big talk but was sloppy. Sure she probably didn't think Carol would be much threat, but you still guard the captives.

I wasn't impressed with the tactics of any of Negan's groups that we've seen. First parking your bikes directly in front of a large vehicle that if it hadn't stopped would have taken out all of those bikes (especially if it was full of fuel), having guards inside and not on top of the build, charging in with gun pointed and not shooting, and then not guarding the prisoners for shit. Negan I thought was suppose to be some bad ass, so far looks like his groups are sloppy and untrained. Probably haven't really had to fight anyone, just go into a town decked out with guns and threaten them.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:39 am

I loved the episode too, but that was really stupid of Rick to off that last surviving Neganite when they reunited with Maggie and Carol at the safe house. I think Rick was probably confused by his response to the question "was Negan in that building?" ("He was there, and he's here now. We need to chat.")

Even if that last guy had indeed been Negan, killing him right away precluded any opportunity to learn more about the surviving members of Negan's group: their location, numbers/armaments/capability, contingency plans should leadership be killed/captured, etc. That was just poor decision-making on Rick's part.

At the risk of stating the obvious, Rick is increasingly showing his limitations as the group's sole leader and/or revealing how unstable he's become. Which I suppose amounts to the same thing. He'd still be an effective general, but at this point Maggie should be in charge.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:48 pm

I have a question. What is the worse enemy you could face? I'm thinking that they may not even manifest Negan at all. Everybody keeps saying we are Negan. What if Negan is only an apparition of a former person. What if they are becoming what they are fearing most?

OK maybe that is more than one question but it is moving in that direction I think. What if Negan is not just one person they have to kill but a mob mentality that has somehow taken its own life?
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:31 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote:I have a question. What is the worse enemy you could face? I'm thinking that they may not even manifest Negan at all. Everybody keeps saying we are Negan. What if Negan is only an apparition of a former person. What if they are becoming what they are fearing most?

OK maybe that is more than one question but it is moving in that direction I think. What if Negan is not just one person they have to kill but a mob mentality that has somehow taken its own life?
Welp, in about three more episodes you'll find out whether Negan is an actual person.....or some Vunterslaushian bugaboo. :ooh:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:24 pm

RickOShea wrote:
doitnstyle1 wrote:I have a question. What is the worse enemy you could face? I'm thinking that they may not even manifest Negan at all. Everybody keeps saying we are Negan. What if Negan is only an apparition of a former person. What if they are becoming what they are fearing most?

Welp, in about three more episodes you'll find out whether Negan is an actual person.....or some Vunterslaushian bugaboo. :ooh:
Well, just remember, the group is going down a dark path they have never gone down before. They are now attacking without provocation. It appears like a classic hero's fall from grace and their ability to atone for their sins. The group has dabbled along the edge of the dark side but they have never really crossed the line. Only single characters have crossed the line. Then the group brings the person back into the fold and helps them atone. Carol the balls out killer of the group is feigning away from this one but still in the end succumbs to killing the last couple of people with much hesitation but accomplishes it none-the-less. She was the black sheep and was brought back in. Rick who went down the path of madness but not evil darkness has now drifted deep in dark territory. Maggie and Glens innocence is tainted with this. The only one probably not affected yet is probably Carl. Will Carl bring the group back into the light?

I think that is why everybody that is asked who Negan is drifts off with a look of remorse as if they are judging their own past AND answer "We are all Negan."
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:40 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote:They are now attacking without provocation.
Not exactly true, the Negan group bikers most assuredly were provocation. Not only due to stopping members of Team Shit Magnet to rob them, but for trying to do their normal routine of immediately killing a member of the group they are robbing as well as planning to go to Alexandria to demand tribute.

Even their own woman admitted Team Shit Magnet were just defending themselves in that case.

Then adding in the Hilltop being squeezed for tribute by the Negan group. While not direct provocation itself, anyone in that area hearing how this community was being extorted would realize that eventually Negan's group would be coming and knocking on Alexandria's door demanding tribute.

So I would not say they are in a completely new a direction, other than taking the offensive and taking the fight to Negan's Savior's group rather than waiting for them to come attack Alexandria directly. Would they have done such an attack if not for Hilltop? Probably not right away, but at some point they might have still attacked realizing they could not let such a threat build power in their neighborhood.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Finally saw the most recent episode tonight. Couple of things stuck out to me.

First, when Maggie and Carol get jumped. WTF. A bad case of Screenwriter's Discretion there with the cliché "Suddenly...bad guys appear out of the woods at a hustle, having made NO SOUNDS WHATSOEVER!" Bugs the piss out of me when supposedly badass characters in a movie/show get jumped by Screenwriter's Discretion rather than any logical series of events. Especially considering Carol had just shot that one guy so of course they'd be expecting more. But suddenly - bad guys!

Second, the parallels between the redheaded gal and Chelle to Carol and Maggie were strong. I think the episode did a good job of holding up a mirror to them to show the gals just what they could/would become. Dark reflections.

Thirdly, Rick. Seriously, someone needs to slip that guy some anti-psychotics and relieve him of command. It was one thing when he finally kicked off his wishy-washy ways around Season 3/4ish, but now he's gone straight up psychotic. He said it best himself: "I kept wondering how many of you I'd have to kill in order to save you." Guy walks into a settlement, then immediately starts making plans to take it over - and kill everyone who gets in his way? Yeah, not a good guy. As soon as any problem crops up now, his first response is to kill everyone involved. Which makes sense if you're a rabid dog, but not part of a recently-discovered interconnected network of settlements, warbands, etc. For all his talk about working with the Alexandrians, his instincts on dealing with the people of Hilltop were to extort what they needed upon threat of violence - or just kill them all. Killing is easy - diplomacy is hard. And instead of talking to Primo to learn more about the Saviors, he just puts a bullet in the guy's head. Why?

More thoughts on why the survivors need a Rick-stration: http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1 ... 22787.html

Just my thoughts on the episode.

EDIT: On further thought, I'm going with cast-Rick-tion rather than Rick-stration.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:34 am

majorhavoc wrote:
flybynight wrote:It's kinda unbelievable ( in a show about zombies haha ) that Maggie who's kinda bad ass and Carol who is become death, destroyer of worlds, could be captured without a rain of ruin and thunderous moan of anguish . Cut short.
... you were saying?
Yea but it took a whole episode. And not because they were filming the rain of ruin and cut short moans of anguish in ultra slow mo like the Wild Bunch. Actually when you think about it Carol has become so sudden death personified, There probably wouldn't even be a cut short moan. More like a cut short intake of breath or just a deeper background silence.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:16 pm

I'm behind and trying to avoid your spoilers, but I gotta say, nothing cuts through the tension of being introduced to a new adversary like a rocket-propelled grenade.
It can always get worse.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:46 pm

I don't understand what Carol was so upset about at the end. She was dropping Terminites and Wolves without flinching. Is Carol starting to feel weight on her shoulders for being death incarnate or did she see herself in the red head Neaganite?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Bearcat wrote:I don't understand what Carol was so upset about at the end. She was dropping Terminites and Wolves without flinching. Is Carol starting to feel weight on her shoulders for being death incarnate or did she see herself in the red head Neaganite?
Maybe both. Probably due to Morgan's influence - we still haven't seen what he got up to during the mid-season intermission.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

bufordtjustice

Post by bufordtjustice » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:33 pm

Maeklos wrote:
Bearcat wrote:I don't understand what Carol was so upset about at the end. She was dropping Terminites and Wolves without flinching. Is Carol starting to feel weight on her shoulders for being death incarnate or did she see herself in the red head Neaganite?
Maybe both. Probably due to Morgan's influence - we still haven't seen what he got up to during the mid-season intermission.
I may be wrong but here's what I took away over the past few episodes: Carol had no problem killing anyone, even after Morgan's complaining. After she shot that Wolf, I thought it looked like she just realized the Wolf was actually trying to help Big Fat Doctor. In short, in her mind, she may be thinking Morgan may have a point.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:02 pm

bufordtjustice wrote:
Maeklos wrote:
I may be wrong but here's what I took away over the past few episodes: Carol had no problem killing anyone, even after Morgan's complaining. After she shot that Wolf, I thought it looked like she just realized the Wolf was actually trying to help Big Fat Doctor. In short, in her mind, she may be thinking Morgan may have a point.
Her time playing the meek housewife while evaluating Alexandria might have something to do with things too. She put on the mask, but at some level it likely effected her outlook and made her question the direction she had gone. It is easy to ignore the changes you make while in constant survival going from one shitty situation to the next. But once you stop and things relax, self evaluation and reflection can creep in.

I think it also comes from seeing herself in the Savior woman. Getting to see what her own ruthless behavior looks like from outside her own POV. I think that really drove it home to her, being on the other side of her own type of ruthlessness, seeing what others must see in her.

I think it was a combo of things and events boiling up inside her. Lets not forget the melt down of Sam and his death, which I am sure she heard some of the details of that. The progression of Carol from meek abused housewife to stone cold death incarnate is now finally catching up to her and she needs to come to grips with it.

Where she will go from here who knows. Thankfully she has Daryl to care for her, as well as her new guy friend. Hopefully she will come out of this stronger and better. Though that may take a few episodes.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:46 pm

After "The Grove", she told Tyreese that she was gonna go off on her own (after she found he and Judith a safe place), so it wouldn't surprise me if Carol started thinking about leaving the ASZ.....or maybe even "opting out". :ooh:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:05 pm

whoa ! :shock:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:27 pm

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:48 pm

bufordtjustice wrote:After she shot that Wolf, I thought it looked like she just realized the Wolf was actually trying to help Big Fat Doctor. In short, in her mind, she may be thinking Morgan may have a point.
Really, it is the fucking zombie apocalypse and you have to go fat shaming Denise? She's the medic. If there were several health care providers in ASZ, then this might have been a ham-fisted but necessary descriptor.

At least they gave her character a great arc and soliloquy to go out on.

Abe and Daryl should have pressed the counter-attack. Now the Saviors will be able to triangulate the location of ASZ although it is even money that Eugene "spilled the pintos".

Re: the bullet foundry, they can find lead from from the wheel weights of all those abandoned cars. I assume they can use ready made smokeless black powder right off the bat. In Greece I saw a hydro powered gun powder factory from the war with the Ottomans.

So I'm not a reloader, but I wonder how much power would be lost using home made powder. Then my next question is how fouling would homemade powder be to Direct Action guns like the common AR.

Speaking of the beloved ARs, how are the tolerances not just for firing reloads, but the homemade lead projectiles. I figure the AK can shoot the crappiest ammunition. OBTW, as a kid I recall a collector showing me a confederate bullet that was made of ceramic. Imagine an AK ceramic round.
Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Maeklos

Post by Maeklos » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:28 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote: Re: the bullet foundry, they can find lead from from the wheel weights of all those abandoned cars. I assume they can use ready made smokeless black powder right off the bat. In Greece I saw a hydro powered gun powder factory from the war with the Ottomans.
Lead melts at really low temperatures. You don't need whatever it was that was in that building - a foundry or whatever. It melts at just over 600 degrees. Easily reachable with the laziest of stoked furnaces - heck, even a good campfire can reach that, considering that folks cast their own ball for muzzleloaders in the field by using lead shot.
So I'm not a reloader, but I wonder how much power would be lost using home made powder. Then my next question is how fouling would homemade powder be to Direct Action guns like the common AR.
They'd have to tinker around with the formula to get the mix right, but unless I'm mistaken, black powder is more powerful than smokeless powder, given that black powder explodes whereas smokeless powder simply combusts rapidly. Fiddling with the amount of powder put into a round can adjust the pressure, but that's something you'd want to be careful with so that guns don't explode in your face when testing. The fouling would also be pretty bad from it, I think, and would tend to favor firearms with less delicate operating mechanisms.
Speaking of the beloved ARs, how are the tolerances not just for firing reloads, but the homemade lead projectiles. I figure the AK can shoot the crappiest ammunition. OBTW, as a kid I recall a collector showing me a confederate bullet that was made of ceramic. Imagine an AK ceramic round.
Nothing wrong with firing homemade lead bullets from any firearms, so long as care is taken to clean the barrel. Copper-jacketed rounds leave nowhere near as much residue as lead rounds do.

So far as I know, at least. I'm sure if I'm wrong on any of these counts, someone'll be along to correct me - it's been a couple decades since I've reloaded and shot my own rounds.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:51 am

Maeklos wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote: Re: the bullet foundry, they can find lead from from the wheel weights of all those abandoned cars. I assume they can use ready made smokeless black powder right off the bat. In Greece I saw a hydro powered gun powder factory from the war with the Ottomans.
Lead melts at really low temperatures. You don't need whatever it was that was in that building - a foundry or whatever. It melts at just over 600 degrees. Easily reachable with the laziest of stoked furnaces - heck, even a good campfire can reach that, considering that folks cast their own ball for muzzleloaders in the field by using lead shot.
Yep I make my own ball and conical ammo for my BP revolver, and it is not that difficult. However wheel weights are not pure lead anymore and some have no lead. Not as big a deal in modern guns, but for BP guns you have to use pure lead. I think the common alloy is an added zinc to the lead, I forget what the nonlead weights are made of (I want to say magnesium but that doesn't sound right).
Maeklos wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:So I'm not a reloader, but I wonder how much power would be lost using home made powder. Then my next question is how fouling would homemade powder be to Direct Action guns like the common AR.
They'd have to tinker around with the formula to get the mix right, but unless I'm mistaken, black powder is more powerful than smokeless powder, given that black powder explodes whereas smokeless powder simply combusts rapidly. Fiddling with the amount of powder put into a round can adjust the pressure, but that's something you'd want to be careful with so that guns don't explode in your face when testing. The fouling would also be pretty bad from it, I think, and would tend to favor firearms with less delicate operating mechanisms.
Smokeless is more powerful than BP. If you take up BP shooting the 1st thing stressed is never use smokeless powder as the BP guns can't take the presures produced by smokeless powder.
Maeklos wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Speaking of the beloved ARs, how are the tolerances not just for firing reloads, but the homemade lead projectiles. I figure the AK can shoot the crappiest ammunition. OBTW, as a kid I recall a collector showing me a confederate bullet that was made of ceramic. Imagine an AK ceramic round.
Nothing wrong with firing homemade lead bullets from any firearms, so long as care is taken to clean the barrel. Copper-jacketed rounds leave nowhere near as much residue as lead rounds do.

So far as I know, at least. I'm sure if I'm wrong on any of these counts, someone'll be along to correct me - it's been a couple decades since I've reloaded and shot my own rounds.
Yep reloading for ARs is quite common. And yes jacketed bullets are cleaner for the barrel.

The whole reload thing was so obviously someone who didn't know firearms trying to make a good show at how to make ammo, as well as just an excuse for the folks to be out wandering in the "wild". People reload in their basements and garages. You don't need a lot of heavy industrial equipment. The big trouble part for reloading is primers. Once you exhaust the local supply, making your own that are compatible to reload with is not so easy. It might be possible to make your own primers, I know you can make your own caps for cap and ball BP which is a more rudimentary primer. The good thing, unless the survivors in the area thought to start reloading then the gun stores would likely still have all the reloading supplies one would need to start supplementing ammo.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Zombie Training Films”