"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by dogbane » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:10 am

Note that in the end, when given the choice to lock the door to the room where the Wolf was being held captive, Morgan locks the door.
Mostly not here anymore.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:30 am

But it is not his door.

“You are fettered," said Scrooge, trembling. "Tell me why?"
"I wear the chain I forged in life," replied the Ghost. "I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it.”

~Charles Dickens
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:36 am

CarolinaPeach wrote:It wasn't what I wanted to see exactly but I disagree that it sucked and I didn't think we were going to have it easy. This episode was a part of the entire story - Morgan's story, and his escape from Crazier Than Rick-Town - and it was good that it was told.
I agree. Decent story that adds to the narrative. But the choice of when to tell it was terrible. Everyone wants to know what happened with Glenn, Rick, and the community. And now they have to wait another week. Then the pacing of it does not fit with the last couple of episodes. If this story had been told in a slower segment of the overall narrative of the season, it would be much better received.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:48 am

raistlin wrote:
CarolinaPeach wrote:It wasn't what I wanted to see exactly but I disagree that it sucked and I didn't think we were going to have it easy. This episode was a part of the entire story - Morgan's story, and his escape from Crazier Than Rick-Town - and it was good that it was told.
I agree. Decent story that adds to the narrative. But the choice of when to tell it was terrible. Everyone wants to know what happened with Glenn, Rick, and the community. And now they have to wait another week. Then the pacing of it does not fit with the last couple of episodes. If this story had been told in a slower segment of the overall narrative of the season, it would be much better received.
I liked the Morgan backstory, it was an important story line I think and I felt the episode was well done. However choosing to place it in between episodes like this so that we don't know the end results of Glen or the community etc was annoying. Stretching the attack on the community and the walker herding for another week to get resolved. Personally I would have liked to see this done at a different time, Morgan's backstory could have easily been done before this string of events.

Another week now to wait to see what happened.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:58 am

Asymetryczna wrote:But it is not his door.

“You are fettered," said Scrooge, trembling. "Tell me why?"
"I wear the chain I forged in life," replied the Ghost. "I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it.”

~Charles Dickens
Exactly. Morgan is unable to reach the same level of trust with the Wolf that Eastman did with him. Some doors are not open.
Mostly not here anymore.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:01 am

They could have showed his backstory in 10 minutes worth of flashbacks, instead of drawing it out over an hour and a half. The story was a generic "feel-good" tale, with no real substance or worth.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:07 am

Everybody in the PAW has a 'back story'. Seldom are those stories really worth telling, or germane to the issues at hand. This episode, the waste of time and bandwidth, is inexcusable.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:51 am

Did no one laugh that an evil person was starved to death while eaters were multiplying everywhere?

Regarding Glenn, There is an idiom that says, “No news is good news.” And for the Marshall McLuhan fans, “the medium is the message.”

I thought of one of my favorite segments from an earlier TV Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FtfUKR1b0E
Henry David Thoreau

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:30 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:I enjoyed the backstory on Morgans journey. But this episode has me revising my 'what attracts a Walker' list.

Previously I posted the order as:
  1. Noise
  2. Movement
  3. Food
  4. Fire
  5. Smell
But in Sunday's episode we saw Morgan burning bodies and a walker come out of the wood attracted by the fire. Morgan moved toward the walker who immediately switched her attention to him. Movement > Fire.

Then in the same sequence Morgan is violently stabbing a walker in the head near the fire when a Walker come straight thru it catching itself on fire to get to Morgan. Movement > Fire

And Lastly Morgan stealthily come up behind the Walker eating Tabitha the goat and just stands there looking at it. The walker lifts its head and turns to attack Morgan. Smell > Food.

So here's the revised Zombie lore list base on these:
  1. Noise
  2. Movement
  3. Fire
  4. Smell
  5. Food
OATMEAL HAMBURGER RECIPIES!!

OATMEAL PEPPERED HAMBURGERS
2 lb. hamburger or ground round
1 pkg. onion mushroom soup mix
1/4 c. diced or chopped green peppers
1 c. Quaker oatmeal
1/4 c. diced or chopped onions
Pepper & salt, optional
Simply mix all ingredients in large bowl. Patty out to regular size hamburger patties. Grill or cook over medium to low heat, not too high or will burn too fast. Should yield 8 regular to medium hamburgers. Top off with grilled onion buns.

SPEEDY OATMEAL HAMBURGERS
1 c. oatmeal, dry
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sage
1 med. onion
3 eggs
Chop onion fine, add to oats, beat eggs until thick and yellow. Stir oats mixture into eggs quickly and fry in hot oil, just long enough to brown on both sides. Remove at once to a warm plate. When all are fried, replace in pan and cover with a tomato mushroom sauce. Simmer for about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour. Good hot or cold. Alternate sauce is: 1 cup hot water mixed with 1 heaping teaspoon of Vegex, simmer patties until liquid is mostly absorbed. Serves 6. 115 calories per serving.

OATMEAL HAMBURGER
1 c. dry oatmeal
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sage
1 medium onion
3 eggs
Mix oats, salt, and sage in bowl. Chop onion fine and add into oats. Beat eggs until thick and yellow. Stir oat mixture into eggs and fry in oil just long enough to brown lightly on both sides. Put in pan and cover with a tomato/mushroom sauce (or with 1 cup hot water and 1 teaspoon Vegex). Simmer 20 minutes to 1/2 hour.
If all life is precious, somewhere there is a field of oats screaming MURDERER !!
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Regarding the field of oats, I tend to agree. Imagine if all the hungry people out there keep eating Spams, and soon when we take our children to the city animal prisons to see all of the animals that we have captured and imprisoned with life sentences there will be no Spam for them to see. No Spams walking and eating grass; no Spams swinging from a cable or throwing poop at the prison visitors; no Spams trumpeting angrily about their life spent behind bars. These mega companies that capture Spams and then compress them and squeeze them into a can are out of control.
Henry David Thoreau

Mack63
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, Dead Snow; Red vs Dead, TWD, Z Nation

Post by Mack63 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:18 pm

I liked this episode, I think it was to slow things down a little for the next one. In talking dead they said they did this episode after the rest of the season episodes.
What I got from it is Morgan is still a little loco and just holding himself together while he tries to be like his teacher, but will snap soon.
I'm hoping he'll come around to thinking like the rest of the Rick group.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:42 pm

I kinda knew we'd get a heavy dose of Morgan's backstory at some point. As to the timing? I guess (hope) the writers thought it vital to the larger story that the audience understand now exactly where Morgan is coming from in his decision not to kill that particular Wolf.

Maybe it's to set up an irresolvable conflict between Rick and Morgan. Maybe it's to reveal some horrible consequence to the decision to leave that Wolf alive (and untended). Maybe it's to bestow the group with an unexpected advantage they would have missed had they killed him right away.

I'm not so impulsive that I need each and every episode to address my needs and on my schedule. (Otherwise I never could have appreciated Battlestar Galactica 2.0 for the epic brilliance that it is). I'm willing to go along for the ride as long as unexpected creative decisions like this ultimately pay off.

It could still turn out to be a vaguely interesting, but pointlessly off-key episode. I'm willing to wait until I see where the show is going with this narrative thread before I pass judgement on this particular episode.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:Regarding the field of oats, I tend to agree. Imagine if all the hungry people out there keep eating Spams, and soon when we take our children to the city animal prisons to see all of the animals that we have captured and imprisoned with life sentences there will be no Spam for them to see. No Spams walking and eating grass; no Spams swinging from a cable or throwing poop at the prison visitors; no Spams trumpeting angrily about their life spent behind bars. These mega companies that capture Spams and then compress them and squeeze them into a can are out of control.
CALM DOWN and imagine this in a field of wheat Image
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:59 pm

I love Eastman's cabin.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:13 pm

I liked the Morgan Movie episode. It was longer than it needed to be by about 30 minutes but otherwise good. A different view of the ZPAW is always interesting to me.

Of course Morgan's philosophy is unworkable in the ZPAW and has resulted in numerous deaths in the show already. In a way it is the anti-survival strategy. I'd say he has likely racked up a much higher body count through indirect deaths by allowing evil to stalk the land than he did by killing indiscriminately.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:15 pm

Thanks FBN. It's like old women hooked on General Hospital. This evening -I swear it's true- three young people at a coffee shop were talking about the Morgan episode and loudly enough...I could hear them a few tables away. One of them said something along the same lines...working the plot to put Morgan against Rick...when an older gentleman literally went off from the table next to them.

Reading a book and minding my own business, I was a witness to a grand spectacle. First, he said he was tired of young people talking as loudly as they wanted everywhere. Then, and now red-faced, he yelled that TV is all Bull^%$# falsities and that Morgan has been dead for some time and by now Glenn's head has been caved in. Finally, he dropped his nearly empty paper cup and kicked it across the room before leaving. I laughed so hard I thought one of my lungs would collapse.

It's just a TV Show.
Henry David Thoreau

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:22 pm

I know. We didn't watch it till this evening.

Teen son says he already knows the plot because his "girlfriend's mother" is a die hard fan.

:clap:
You go over and under
I go through

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:58 am

And who was yelling at the gate?

Some say Rick, others think someone new?

Did Rick have the time to get all the way back after being surrounded by a hoard? And would he really need to yell? Its not like the gate is all that secure.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:18 am

Maybe the new plan is to trap all the zombies in the newly depopulated Alexandria.
You go over and under
I go through

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:38 am

MacAttack wrote:And who was yelling at the gate?

Did Rick have the time to get all the way back after being surrounded by a hoard? And would he really need to yell? Its not like the gate is all that secure.
Closed caption said Rick. So I believe it's Rick.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:46 am

In that episode I only saw Morgan kill the two dudes that were stalking him, which in that universe, stalking is a threat. I don't know why he didn't de-brain them when he we was done, that mistake cost another life. He didn't kill the couple. He just said he had killed people [who weren't really a threat]. The only problem I had with Morgan's 'Clearing' was that he appeared to be in an area with little water or food and he seemed to be expending a large amount of energy with very little return for it.

The wolves are worse than those two. The Governor was worse. The cops in the ATL hospital were worse.

This took place before the herding. Remember, Morgan showed up in time to see Rick execute the Doctor.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:47 am

MacWa77ace wrote:

This took place before the herding. Remember, Morgan showed up in time to see Rick execute the Doctor.
I came away with the distinct impression that the Wolves' attack on Alexandria (and Morgan's capture of Mr. Dental Hygiene) occurred during the herding. First: to the one, every single member of the herding team was not present at Alexandria when the attack occurred. More importantly, the herding team could hear the truck horn and gunfire coming from the direction of Alexandria. Rick told his team members to stick to the plan and the others back at Alexandria would just have to handle it on their own, remember?

So Rick (or whoever it was) shouting at the gate had to have occurred after the herding began.

BTW: someone needs to talk to the close captioning staff about giving away spoilers. That caption could just have easily read:
[Distant voice}: "Open the gate!"

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:49 am

ineffableone wrote:
raistlin wrote:
I liked the Morgan backstory, it was an important story line I think and I felt the episode was well done. However choosing to place it in between episodes like this so that we don't know the end results of Glen or the community etc was annoying. Stretching the attack on the community and the walker herding for another week to get resolved. Personally I would have liked to see this done at a different time, Morgan's backstory could have easily been done before this string of events.

Another week now to wait to see what happened.
Even before the last episode would have been a bit better. Right after we saw Morgan fight the wolves and refuse to kill them. Last episode was just such a big cliffhanger, it was the wrong place for it.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:15 am

Well, it sounded like Rick.....the CC said it was Rick.....and the AMC episode recap also states that it was Rick....so I'm gonna say it was Rick. :ooh:

http://www.amc.com/shows/the-walking-de ... s-not-here
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Return to “Zombie Training Films”