"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:21 pm

MacAttack wrote: And seriously? Leaving all those hiding places right up to the wall. Whats with that?
Good one. There's a reason it's called "dead space." Apparently the writers are unfamiliar with Foo gas.

Interestingly, on a long flight very recently I overheard 4 very different people discussing whether Glenn was alive or not. I was 4 episodes behind but I listened in all the same. When a female began complaining about Carl actually being 45 years old and trying to work an 80's Shag and 90's Mullet I laughed so hard that I woke everyone that was sleeping and gave away the fact that I was eavesdropping.

I am caught up now, so I would add that the aerial shots at the end of each episode has been the best part for me. Does anyone know what they are using to film that? The rising camera view catching the swarm tactics inherently known by all people who are no longer people is quite artistic. Having developed an interest in small drones as of late, and being impressed with what I can see, I am curious how they are filming those shots.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:55 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:
I am caught up now, so I would add that the aerial shots at the end of each episode has been the best part for me. Does anyone know what they are using to film that? The rising camera view catching the swarm tactics inherently known by all people who are no longer people is quite artistic. Having developed an interest in small drones as of late, and being impressed with what I can see, I am curious how they are filming those shots.
The technique has traditionally been referred to as a "crane shot", more recently, a "helicopter shot". But today these kind of camera angles are often being done by - as you guessed - drones. The technology has opened up a whole new world of cinematic opportunities. Here's an example of the creative potential:

Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:30 pm

Ultimately, the key to this debate is just how combustible are the Walkers?

Obviously their rotted cloths would be great tinder. And we all have seen the juicy ones due to great shot that makes, but I have seen many that were pretty desiccated.

I theorize that, in general, they would burn to the point of immobility within a reasonable amount of time.

Cremation has been practiced for ages, we seem to burn fairly well.
WWSD?

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:31 pm

From yahoo answers
"Human flesh requires extended exposure to 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit in order to ignite. The human body, which is 85 percent water, burns outside to inside in a rapid cycle of layer-by-layer dehydration and ignition. The heat dries out the skin; the dry skin ignites. That fire dries out the next layer of muscle and fat, which then ignites. And so on, until the internal organs are consumed. The average body gives off a modest 1,000 Btu per pound of meat (burning wood, by comparison, gives off 6,000 Btu). But an extremely obese person can run up to 17,000 Btu. "
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:43 pm

Paladin1 wrote:Ultimately, the key to this debate is just how combustible are the Walkers?

Obviously their rotted cloths would be great tinder. And we all have seen the juicy ones due to great shot that makes, but I have seen many that were pretty desiccated.

I theorize that, in general, they would burn to the point of immobility within a reasonable amount of time.

I'm guessing there would have to be an accelerant used unless the walker was really desiccated.

Peach

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:01 am

CarolinaPeach wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:Ultimately, the key to this debate is just how combustible are the Walkers?

I'm guessing there would have to be an accelerant used unless the walker was really desiccated.

Peach
You may be right, which is just another reason for me to have a flamethrower:
https://throwflame.com/
WWSD?

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:17 pm

:lol: You know, considering the possibility of a ZPAW, and it being leaf season now, and then of course snow will be coming, I just can't see any good reason to come between a man and his flame thrower. It just seems like a good investment to me. :awesome:

Peach

Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:31 pm

I thought the writers could not get any worse with their story line, but........................but I was wrong. Damn this episode is awful. Terrible, Lame. bad. weird.
So bad that I welcome the advertising breaks.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:49 pm

I agree, and find Morgan to be more annoying now than I did before.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:04 pm

well, with all of America waiting for an answer to the Glenn issue, the show pulls a classic bait and switch. Instead of closure, instead of knowing where the trail drive is going, instead of knowing if the residents at Arlington are ok, we get an hour of absolute bullshit.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:21 pm

ah grasshopper, Listen for the color of the sky. Look for the sound of the hummingbirds wings. Search the air for the perfume of ice, on a hot summer’s day. If you have found these things, you will know
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Well Rick was yelling "Open the gate!". Episode sucked though.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

CarolinaPeach

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:56 pm

It wasn't what I wanted to see exactly but I disagree that it sucked and I didn't think we were going to have it easy. This episode was a part of the entire story - Morgan's story, and his escape from Crazier Than Rick-Town - and it was good that it was told.

As for Morgan's adoption of Eastman's Way, well, it did help bring Morgan out of the Uber Bad Place and made him even more of a survivor. However, while I can see someone following the path that all life is precious and that they will strive to never kill anything again, that's perfectly fine for them. It's when their choice (Morgan's) to not kill directly puts me or mine in danger that our philosophies will part ways. Sorry, Morgan.

But, oatmeal burgers? Is that even possible? Ugh. I think just the oatmeal would have been more palatable.

And Morgan's captive Wolf really needs some dental hygiene tips.

Peach

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:39 pm

I can appreciate the telling of how Morgan came to be the wus..uh.. lover of all things, that he is now.

But that was just too damn long in the telling. It was like watching a root canal in slow motion.

Hopefully that will be the last of the drawn out back stories they tell.

It probably would not have been so bad if I actually bought into their belief system, but I don't. Throughout the history of mankind there are people who are just damaged.

I don't think their lives are precious and should be saved at all costs.
Last edited by Paladin1 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
WWSD?

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:49 am

Personally..... I thought it was an amazing episode one of the best yet.

If you know PTSD it should resonate deeply. much kudos to the makers of this episode.

It honestly disheartens me that people have become so inured with ADD entertainment that it has to all be rockem, sockem, killem, and fuckem or its not "quality" entertainment. One of the many things that truly lead me to believe that we are doomed to failure as a society in modern times of such little true struggle.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:45 am

Myself...... Found this episode to be horrid. We all know Morgan went through shit, everyone has. Does it deserve an entire episode? Naw...... 15 minute rehash. Gotta say the last episode and this one really are making me not give two shits about this show.

Z nation seems to be getting better, TWD seems to be getting worse.

My biggest thing is how are people still getting ambushed by walkers, how does someone push away and turn his back to a walker within 2 feet? He could have easily dropped the walker without jeopardizing himself. I know I know........TV.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:34 am

Excellent episode, excellent season so far!!
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:38 am

A blind man could have seen that that this week's episode would not be about Glenn.

I honestly believe that this was one of the best episode of the series.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:37 am

Best...episode...yet!

Ask yourself grasshoppa, is not the will of man greater than the forces of nature?
Henry David Thoreau

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:51 am

Remember, the episode wasnt all about Morgan. Eastman had quite a bit character development. Too bad they didnt keep him around for several more episodes. He was a likable dude.

My prediction for the wolf leader(?) that Morgan has locked up...He'll be the death of one if not several main characters.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:52 am

I enjoyed the backstory on Morgans journey. But this episode has me revising my 'what attracts a Walker' list.

Previously I posted the order as:
  1. Noise
  2. Movement
  3. Food
  4. Fire
  5. Smell
But in Sunday's episode we saw Morgan burning bodies and a walker come out of the wood attracted by the fire. Morgan moved toward the walker who immediately switched her attention to him. Movement > Fire.

Then in the same sequence Morgan is violently stabbing a walker in the head near the fire when a Walker come straight thru it catching itself on fire to get to Morgan. Movement > Fire

And Lastly Morgan stealthily come up behind the Walker eating Tabitha the goat and just stands there looking at it. The walker lifts its head and turns to attack Morgan. Smell > Food.

So here's the revised Zombie lore list base on these:
  1. Noise
  2. Movement
  3. Fire
  4. Smell
  5. Food
OATMEAL HAMBURGER RECIPIES!!

OATMEAL PEPPERED HAMBURGERS
2 lb. hamburger or ground round
1 pkg. onion mushroom soup mix
1/4 c. diced or chopped green peppers
1 c. Quaker oatmeal
1/4 c. diced or chopped onions
Pepper & salt, optional
Simply mix all ingredients in large bowl. Patty out to regular size hamburger patties. Grill or cook over medium to low heat, not too high or will burn too fast. Should yield 8 regular to medium hamburgers. Top off with grilled onion buns.

SPEEDY OATMEAL HAMBURGERS
1 c. oatmeal, dry
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sage
1 med. onion
3 eggs
Chop onion fine, add to oats, beat eggs until thick and yellow. Stir oats mixture into eggs quickly and fry in hot oil, just long enough to brown on both sides. Remove at once to a warm plate. When all are fried, replace in pan and cover with a tomato mushroom sauce. Simmer for about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour. Good hot or cold. Alternate sauce is: 1 cup hot water mixed with 1 heaping teaspoon of Vegex, simmer patties until liquid is mostly absorbed. Serves 6. 115 calories per serving.

OATMEAL HAMBURGER
1 c. dry oatmeal
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sage
1 medium onion
3 eggs
Mix oats, salt, and sage in bowl. Chop onion fine and add into oats. Beat eggs until thick and yellow. Stir oat mixture into eggs and fry in oil just long enough to brown lightly on both sides. Put in pan and cover with a tomato/mushroom sauce (or with 1 cup hot water and 1 teaspoon Vegex). Simmer 20 minutes to 1/2 hour.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:29 am

nolongpork wrote:Personally..... I thought it was an amazing episode one of the best yet.

If you know PTSD it should resonate deeply. much kudos to the makers of this episode.

It honestly disheartens me that people have become so inured with ADD entertainment that it has to all be rockem, sockem, killem, and fuckem or its not "quality" entertainment. One of the many things that truly lead me to believe that we are doomed to failure as a society in modern times of such little true struggle.
So in your opinion watching shows about people with a mental disorder so severe that they murder people is 'quality' entertainment? And because others don't, society is doomed?

I was beaten by my father with a pool cue when I was a kid, watched him slap around my mother. No- I don't enjoy watching TV shows about abuse.

I really hope that people's TV preferences doesn't guide your outlook on society.
Really more valid sources for that.
WWSD?

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:47 am

Maybe it was the time change, maybe it was the bourbon and eggnog, but I wanted to fall asleep about halfway into the show, and when I realized it was a 90-minute episode, I felt a bit despondent.
Mostly not here anymore.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:07 am

Pal, sorry to hear about you or any child being hurt, or family members. I doubt that this or any TV Show really guides anyone’s outlook; I think he was just making reference. Society as we know it will go down the drain just after its moral code.

I liked this episode simply because it featured a teacher and a student, choices, and a door that is never really locked. When one takes every image or action better left unseen and hides it on a shelf behind a door down a long, dark hallway, and then does this again and again, it might be that there are so many hallways and doors and hidden things that the house becomes fragmented. One way to combat all that darkness is to shine a light upon it.

I would have titled that episode “Teachable.”
I remain so…
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Zombie Training Films”