"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Paladin1

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:15 am

Carol- "This hospital group is going to feel pretty stupid, they have no idea who their screwing with!"
WWSD?

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "Atlanta Hospital Group" seem to be led by the worst stereotypical cops ever?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:48 pm

jor-el wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "Atlanta Hospital Group" seem to be led by the worst stereotypical cops ever?
Who, Lieutenant Dawn?.....Is that a broad generalization, or a generalization about broads.Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:Noah is the unseen man in the shadows with Daryl. Daryl brought him back to brief Rick on how to mount a rescue operation.

I'm unsure if Carol was captured or is infiltrating.

Wow there is a lot of cops with guns guarding that hospital. Looks like we have no choice. Send in Carol.

3 Minutes later....

Beth is safe and everyone else is dead....you boys need medicine or anything before I torch this place?

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:26 pm

Stereotypes in TWD? Say it ain't so, Joe!
Mostly not here anymore.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:43 pm

jor-el wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "Atlanta Hospital Group" seem to be led by the worst stereotypical cops ever?
I thought about that a lot...

I think the fact that they began as LEOs is just incidental... True, they are/were authority figures and in a hospital setting are probably seen in that light as opposed to Rick and Shane who quickly found that their roles were pretty much useless since in this world a court system / state no longer exists...

But I kept hearing Lt Dawn talk about keeping "civilization going" until "rescue" or I would guess until other similar groups found them and everything would return back to "normal".
In her head she's probably saving the remnants of civilization, but in reality she is no better than the governor or anything of that type of leadership.

Her justifications are probably just that in her head, and her intentions may be in the right place... initially...

I'm sure she sees her role as simply one provided by the "consent of the governed" at first, then it's "for their own good."

In that way, I can understand how she ended up there...

Is she evil if it's "for the greater good" instead of a pursuit of power?

Will she allow for the idea that she might be wrong?

There are a lot of political and social issues that are easily under the surface (as aIl good shows should do) and those of course are discussions for some other venue, but as to the stereotyping of LEOs, I'm not really seeing it.

To me they stopped being LEOs once the court system / state fell apart. The part that fascinates me is that they don't understand that yet... Dawn is like Shane back in season one, still waiting for the national guard or someone of "authority" to come and return their world to normal.

Dawn is in denial. Which makes her more sympathetic, and more scary at the same time...

Well written character... hell, the whole show is a series of well written (even in short term) characters... Even a character like the cabin douchebag that Tyreese FAILED to kill had a distinct depth to his actions that said so much more than you'd expect...

But I'm rambling...

Stereotypical cop behavior? I dunno, to a certain extent, maybe, but there's a lot more under the surface. Dawn does find a way to justify their actions, instead of the usual respect mah authoritah type drivel we see in so much else...

I don't think she's any more of a stereotype than Rick or Shane was....

/end rambling tangent.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Not so much about Dawn but mostly about Gorman. You don't get that misogynist vibe off him? Not to mention Dawn and the Asian cop appear to be aware of it.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:41 pm

jor-el wrote:Not so much about Dawn but mostly about Gorman. You don't get that misogynist vibe off him? Not to mention Dawn and the Asian cop appear to be aware of it.
I got a rapey vibe from him. :ooh:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Gorman was a tool... in both senses of the word... but I think one power hungry prick doesn't make a stereotype... Then again, stereotypes have a reason behind them, in film/tv, and if this was Z Nation, with a similar storyline, I could see the stereotypes tripping over one another....

In this case, Gorman may have strayed in that area, but I think it was less his uniform than his character...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:28 pm

SeerSavant wrote: Also, I think enough time has passed that Carol let herself get "rescued" .... Of course anyone who underestimates Carol......
If you could somehow meld the TWD TV and Marvel movie universes, Tony Stark wouldn't have been boasting to Loki about their Hulk. He'd calmly sip his drink and announce: "We have a Carol."
gunsandrockets wrote: Carol is a trojan horse with Daryl no doubt creeping around the outside of the hospital waiting for the right moment to act. Perhaps Noah is working with Daryl too, perhaps not. Maybe Noah didn't survive very long with that limp slowing him down, even if he did warn Daryl+Carol about the hospital and about Beth.
Law of narrative economy says that Noah definitely still has a role to play, otherwise they wouldn't have had that elaborate reveal of him squeezing between the gates and getting away while Beth was re-captured. Since they're playing around with flashbacks, he could well be dead by "now", but we'll see him make some further contribution to the narrative as it plays out in episode sequence. I like what little I saw of his character; I'm hoping he's the person lingering in the bushes behind Daryl when he returned to Gabriel's church of the damned.

I love the Carol-as-Trojan-horse angle. Still, she keeps putting herself in situations with steep odds and we know what this series does to beloved characters. I'm not feeling too confident of her plot armor these days.

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:17 pm

The kid that play's Noah is a very good actor, so I'm hoping that he'll have some life in the show for a while....

Then again, other actors have shown up and disappeared too quick, discounting characters like the Governor and Merle, or even Joe (which kinda sucked, cause i've always been a fan of Jeff Kober), but it's the quickly there, just as quickly gone actors that I wish had been given a longer time on the show...

This is not the same as cameos.....Like this guy....

Casting for the show is fantastic, but sometimes I just wish some of the characters had more screen time...

Pruitt Taylor Vince is a good example, I've been impressed with his acting since I saw him in Jacob's Ladder, but he never seems to get that choice role that helps him stand out... jeff Kober has been a working actor since his turn on China Beach... But both, (Vince more so) seem to have simply been brought on to drop right back off...
I mean, kudos to picking actors that clearly know how to inhabit a role with more depth than written, but dammit, I wish both had more...

Then again, T-Dog was in the show for a long time and had, what, a dozen lines?

Noah is a character that I hope will last for a while... The actors good, and hasn't had a real meaty role yet...

Also, that throwaway line about his place in Richmond, makes me feel that he should become part of the group, at least for a while...

No one is safe in the Walking Dead world, but I sure hope Carol lasts for a while.... I have a feeling her loss would be a catalyst to Daryl in some way... Which would be interesting, but.... not yet, please, not yet...

Ninja Edit... some pretty interesting theories about around the net, one picked up at r/thewalkingdead was this snippet, not just conjecture, but a screengrab of a photo....

If it's really here in the photo....
Rick knows Dawn???

I mean, she's atlanta PD, he's Sheriff's dept... but it's not like the two wouldn't overlap, perhaps in the past they worked together...

But that photo does look close....

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:45 pm

I was wondering maybe rick and dawn knew each other. That photo is from a webisode taken place at a storage unit. Rick apparently had a stotage unit in atlanta. Maybe they went to a police academy together. The webisodes do tie in with the show. Like how rick was able to survive being in coma in the hospital when everything went down.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:28 am

Carol=Trojan horse I thinks. Hopefully the group being a bunch of hardened bad asses holds out for this situation.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Slabtown was a bit of a snoozer, even though the writers tried to pack a lot into one episode.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:53 pm

I liked the change of pace.

I also appreciated that the TV show is staying true to the GN's theme of showing us the many and varied ways survivors attempt to re-establish some sort of functioning micro-society in the apocalypse only to have it go horribly awry. Usually because of some fundamental flaw in human nature (pride, greed, hubris, misplaced hope, coveting-your-best-friend's-incredibly-hot-and-grieving-wife, etc. etc. etc.)

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:01 am

majorhavoc wrote:
SeerSavant wrote: Also, I think enough time has passed that Carol let herself get "rescued" .... Of course anyone who underestimates Carol......
If you could somehow meld the TWD TV and Marvel movie universes, Tony Stark wouldn't have been boasting to Loki about their Hulk. He'd calmly sip his drink and announce: "We have a Carol."
gunsandrockets wrote: Carol is a trojan horse with Daryl no doubt creeping around the outside of the hospital waiting for the right moment to act. Perhaps Noah is working with Daryl too, perhaps not. Maybe Noah didn't survive very long with that limp slowing him down, even if he did warn Daryl+Carol about the hospital and about Beth.
Law of narrative economy says that Noah definitely still has a role to play, otherwise they wouldn't have had that elaborate reveal of him squeezing between the gates and getting away while Beth was re-captured. Since they're playing around with flashbacks, he could well be dead by "now", but we'll see him make some further contribution to the narrative as it plays out in episode sequence. I like what little I saw of his character; I'm hoping he's the person lingering in the bushes behind Daryl when he returned to Gabriel's church of the damned.

I love the Carol-as-Trojan-horse angle. Still, she keeps putting herself in situations with steep odds and we know what this series does to beloved characters. I'm not feeling too confident of her plot armor these days.
Before we saw Carol on the stretcher, she looked like she was going to run away from the group when Daryl caught her. In addition there is a kind of strange relationship triangle between Carol, Beth and Daryl. It can't be just a coincidence that all three of them are going to have a story independent of the main group.

I strongly suspect that story will resolve with only Beth or Carol returning to the church with Daryl, not both of them.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:22 pm

Boondock wrote:Slabtown was a bit of a snoozer, even though the writers tried to pack a lot into one episode.
I thought it was every bit as suspenseful as the first three episodes this season, just at a different pace. Like the difference between watching Misery and Hostel.

Sent via carrier wave.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:16 pm

Welp.....

THAT happened a lot sooner than I thought it would....

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Yep

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Yep.

Thought for sure he would hold on to that little tidbit for awhile longer.

Abraham is closer to the edge than I thought.

Next week looks to be a lot more action packed.
WWSD?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Welp, the title of this episode, "Self Help", was both funny & creepy.Image

Previews for next week:

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:00 pm

So, do you think he died when he hit the pavement? Or will we see him again.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:11 pm

Ahh... The Daryl and Carol show.... I say spin that off and you got instant gold.....

I normally hate the whole shipper bs that inhabits some fandoms, and I damn sure think a relationship in WD is pretty much forshadowing of one or the other dying in the future but in the case of Daryl and Carol, it's much much more.

The two of them have this bizarre screen chemistry that isn't so much romantic as it is genuinely close, Mulder and Skully is the only other on screen "couple" that feels even remotely similar... A friendship built on respect and trust rather than hormones...

I dunno... I just know that the two of them are fascinating to watch...

Honeypot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Serenity

Post by Honeypot » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:52 am

SeerSavant wrote:Ahh... The Daryl and Carol show.... I say spin that off and you got instant gold.....
+1 :) :) :)

That was my favorite moment in season 4.

So far, my favorite moment in all of season 5 was "The Hug" in ep 1. :)
The two of them did an awesome job.
I was almost disappointed that they didn't kiss, but the physicality was so much more loving than a snog would have been. Both my spouse and I would like their relationship to turn romantic, but we're equally content for it to be platonic. It "just works".

I'm open to a Carol & Daryl in 2016 ticket. :)
Seriously, if someone put together printer ready bumper sticker artwork, I'd consider using it.

I'm really stoked for next week!
Pro : cake & pie, Kaywinnet Lee Frye's response to the Apocalypse
Anti: rage trolls, nanny squad, oaf & bigot squad, PAW boys, spammersImage

Return to “Zombie Training Films”