"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:...and on that subject - is there some kind of TV Trope regarding the number of people on Team Protagonist you should have? There was a time in the GN when there was oer a dozen in Rick's group, and it always floated around 10. If the group got split up it would be back to closer to that 10 within an issue or 2.

It just seems, in general for a TV show, that you always have X number of protagonists at various levels so as to not waste money on paying actors or confuse the audience. It's like the adventruing party based off 4 characters (Dungeons and Dragons here) is the sacred cow for various reasons.
Not just TV but cinema too. We tend to only remember three to five story lines. Lord of the Rings = Frodo and Sam, Aragorn Gimli and Legolas, Pippin and Merry. Crash was very complicated but it could be boiled down to Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Sandra Bullock Thandie Newton. Sure there were others, but they were intersection points.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re:

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Sins wrote:"Hey buddy, my sister had this wound and bled out, but she was still moving after hours and I took her to a doctor and they fixed her up"

Except that she died....Her heart stopped beating, she quit breathing, and she was stone still & room camp temperature for several hours.......Then started "moving" again. :ooh:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Maverick299 wrote:The "American History X" moment seems to have me shaking my head. In some of the scenes the zombie's appear to have Nerf brand skulls that crush without much more effort than an evil look, and in that scene it took 3 good kicks just to knock the teeth out.

I know, I know, nit picky. But when details like that are paid attention too it makes for a much more "realistic" fake show. :crazy:
Yeah, I was once postulating that maybe the walkers had some sort of bone degeneration that made their skulls soft (and therefore easy to crush/stab).......but by that logic, their jaws would break while munching on bones, then they wouldn't be able to bite anymore. :gonk:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:51 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Maverick299 wrote:The "American History X" moment seems to have me shaking my head. In some of the scenes the zombie's appear to have Nerf brand skulls that crush without much more effort than an evil look, and in that scene it took 3 good kicks just to knock the teeth out.

I know, I know, nit picky. But when details like that are paid attention too it makes for a much more "realistic" fake show. :crazy:
Yeah, I was once postulating that maybe the walkers had some sort of bone degeneration that made their skulls soft (and therefore easy to crush/stab).......but by that logic, their jaws would break while munching on bones, then they wouldn't be able to bite anymore. :gonk:
It could be by state of decomp and type of decomp. Some were bit sooner or torn up worse. If you fractured your skull before dying it would be a bunch of pieces under the scalp when you re-animated.
Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Sins

Post by Sins » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Maybe the zombie already had one to many blows to the face with a baseball bat from people trying to escape and the rock was the straw that broke the zombies jaw

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

It could be by state of decomp and type of decomp. Some were bit sooner or torn up worse. If you fractured your skull before dying it would be a bunch of pieces under the scalp when you re-animated.
This is how I rationalize the concrete strength vs wet tissue paper strength skull issue. I'm sure its just what "looks" best for film, but hey if I can apply half assed science to it to make sense and keep a bit of the immersion then why not?

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:54 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote: If you fractured your skull before dying it would be a bunch of pieces under the scalp when you re-animated.
I totally heart zs.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 pm

soo the curb stop is what you have a problem with? not andrea one hitting a walker with a hatchet?
or carol using axle's body to block like 17 rounds from a 223?
or maggy hiding behind a filling cabinet ? im 99% sure a 223 would go through a filling cabinet
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Brock Meatstone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by Brock Meatstone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:24 pm

We'reWolf wrote:soo the curb stop is what you have a problem with? not andrea one hitting a walker with a hatchet?
or maggy hiding behind a filling cabinet ? im 99% sure a 223 would go through a filling cabinet
Although, on the upside it looked pretty awesome when she chopped that one's face completely off.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm

Brock Meatstone wrote:
We'reWolf wrote:soo the curb stop is what you have a problem with? not andrea one hitting a walker with a hatchet?
Although, on the upside it looked pretty awesome when she chopped that one's face completely off.
lol yeah... and the arms and stuff... i don't watch twd for it to be realistically accurate... i want to be able to use my imagination a little bit :rofl:
anyone notice how all the bone chopping/ people cutting heads off are the same?
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

emilysometimes

Post by emilysometimes » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:42 pm

I just finished watching this week's episode on itunes, and skimmed this forum pretty quickly, so I may have missed the post where someone else noticed that when the guv was holding the match up to his eye, it was his LEFT eye that was missing/injured, but for the rest of the episode, he was wearing a patch over his right eye. ??? Anybody?
"We don't even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things. The human capacity for survival and renewal is awesome."
Isabel Allende

"Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness."
-James Thurber

Brock Meatstone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by Brock Meatstone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:44 pm

emilysometimes wrote:I just finished watching this week's episode on itunes, and skimmed this forum pretty quickly, so I may have missed the post where someone else noticed that when the guv was holding the match up to his eye, it was his LEFT eye that was missing/injured, but for the rest of the episode, he was wearing a patch over his right eye. ??? Anybody?
It was shown that he was looking in a mirror.

Wolfe4086
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead Series
Zombii Series
Cemetary Man
Zombieland

Post by Wolfe4086 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:08 am

Why is Rick's group so fearful of Woodbury? Woodbury has maybe 10 competent fighters at best. All you need to do is slip over in the night with some firebombs and oil cans. Pour the oil along the wall where those nice tires are and set them on fire. Toss a few of the firebombs into the town and leave. It's not like they have the firefighting equipment to do anything about it. One good blaze would do wonders to break the place up.
"The price of failure is to be paid for in blood" Sensei Yamashita - Tanaka Corporation School of Assassins

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:18 am

The cover vs concealment crap happens in every movie that has a shootout in it. I guess maybe I've been desensitized to it. Where the WD has a chance to set themselves apart is in the zombie biology department. :D
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 am

I am behind on watching WD so I haven't been reading this thread, so don't know if anyone posted this yet.

...but in case it hasn't

Michonne's katana has been released!!

Here are 2 sites offering the sword

http://www.amas.net/michonne-s-walking-dead-katana
Michonne, intimately referred to as Samurai Girl, has proven to be one of the most lethal zombie assassins on the hit AMC series, The Walking Dead. This katana is a licensed replica of Michonne’s sword. It is crafted with traditional Japanese sword making techniques and is hand-forged from 1045 high-carbon steel. The handle is wrapped in genuine ray skin and leather. Don’t be fooled by the imitators. This is a limited edition sword and only 2,000 pieces will be made. Comes complete with a Certificate of Authenticity. Fight the Dead. Fear the living!
http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=5530
Michonne (pronounced Me-Shone), intimately referred to by fans as Samurai Girl, has proven to be one of the most lethal, battle-hardened walker assassins on the hit AMC series, The Walking Dead. This katana has been replicated from the original prop design used by MIchonne in the series. It is assembled with traditional Japanese sword making techniques and 1045 high carbon steel and genuine ray skin and leather on the handle wrap and strap. Hand Forged, limit 2000pcs worldwide, comes with series number and certification. Fight the Dead. Fear the living. Pre-Order for Spring 2013
From the info given these are actual functional katana (they even say it is functional on one site), though it seems they are not overly high grade they do seem decently functional for the lower end price of under $200. For a good functional katana you would expect to pay $300-$500. My guess is that this is actually closer to a $100 katana in quality, and it is the attachment to WD and that it is a limited run of 2000 that bumped it up to $200. If you really have to have a Michonne katana though, I would suggest you go for one of these, they at least are likely functional rather than just a wall hanger.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:39 am

ineffableone wrote: From the info given these are actual functional katana (they even say it is functional on one site), though it seems they are not overly high grade they do seem decently functional for the lower end price of under $200. For a good functional katana you would expect to pay $300-$500. My guess is that this is actually closer to a $100 katana in quality, and it is the attachment to WD and that it is a limited run of 2000 that bumped it up to $200. If you really have to have a Michonne katana though, I would suggest you go for one of these, they at least are likely functional rather than just a wall hanger.
Scuse me but BWAHAHAHAHAHA :clap:
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re:

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:12 am

Sins wrote:Extremely disappointed in Tyrese.
Why are people disappointed in Tyrese? It seems like viewers are trying to imbue him with some sort of claravoyant understanding of the situation. He and his cadre have been on the run, incurred heartrending losses and were aggressively run out of the first safe sanctuary (the prison) they had found in months. By an apparent madman (Rick).

Now they've met a community of people (Woodbury) that is by every indication warm, safe and welcoming. Run by a leader who is charming, accomodating and by every appearance is genuinely concerned for their welfare. From Tyrese's perspective he's just won the lottery. I imagine any of us, in his shoes, would gladly jump at the opportunity to assist the Governor in any way he/she can, and do whatever is necessary to earn their keep in his safehaven.

How is his behavior in any way disappointing?
Last edited by majorhavoc on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 am

Okay, so I gave the show a chance. Not too bad. Now I hope they have it on Netflix so I can slowly catch up.

In a real PAW the dude with the eye patch would have been taken out long before he could organize a town of 70 people. I was hoping the blonde chick would whack him.

Best part of the show: Cutting off a zombie's arms and walking him!

Most realistic part of the show: In the PAW humans will still be fighting eachother while trying to survive.

Lesson: When the SHTF blow away anyone acting like they are or demanding to be "in charge" before they are in charge and things go wrong.
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

Pockie

Post by Pockie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:32 am

ZH10950 wrote:Okay, so I gave the show a chance. Not too bad. Now I hope they have it on Netflix so I can slowly catch up.
They should still have the first two seasons on. They added season 2 right before season 3 went on the air, if 3 is part of your catch up plan, it should be added in the fall.
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.- Isaac Asimov

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 am

ineffableone wrote:I am behind on watching WD so I haven't been reading this thread, so don't know if anyone posted this yet.

...but in case it hasn't

Michonne, intimately referred to as Samurai Girl, has proven to be one of the most lethal zombie assassins on the hit AMC series, The Walking Dead. This katana is a licensed replica of Michonne’s sword. It is crafted with traditional Japanese sword making techniques and is hand-forged from 1045 high-carbon steel. The handle is wrapped in genuine ray skin and leather. Don’t be fooled by the imitators. This is a limited edition sword and only 2,000 pieces will be made. Comes complete with a Certificate of Authenticity. Fight the Dead. Fear the living!
Michonne (pronounced Me-Shone), intimately referred to by fans as Samurai Girl, has proven to be one of the most lethal, battle-hardened walker assassins on the hit AMC series, The Walking Dead. This katana has been replicated from the original prop design used by MIchonne in the series. It is assembled with traditional Japanese sword making techniques and 1045 high carbon steel and genuine ray skin and leather on the handle wrap and strap. Hand Forged, limit 2000pcs worldwide, comes with series number and certification. Fight the Dead. Fear the living. Pre-Order for Spring 2013
From the info given these are actual functional katana (they even say it is functional on one site), though it seems they are not overly high grade they do seem decently functional for the lower end price of under $200. For a good functional katana you would expect to pay $300-$500. My guess is that this is actually closer to a $100 katana in quality, and it is the attachment to WD and that it is a limited run of 2000 that bumped it up to $200. If you really have to have a Michonne katana though, I would suggest you go for one of these, they at least are likely functional rather than just a wall hanger.
$200
Traditional Japanese Sword making Techinques but no mention that its made in Japan or gives any country of origin.
No mention or warning that the blade comes sharp.

I'm thinking its going to suck as a functional sword, but 90% of the people who will buy it are just fans who will hang it on a wall anyway.

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZH10950 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 am

ineffableone wrote:I am behind on watching WD so I haven't been reading this thread, so don't know if anyone posted this yet.

...but in case it hasn't

Look like a pretty cool collecting sword.

In terms of fuctionality there are two key questions: Is the blade made from a mold or is the steel folded? Is the mekugi (peg) plastic or wood or metal?

Molded blade, for show only. Plastic mekugi, for show only. Folded steel blade with a wood or metal mekugi...now you in business! Metal is better.
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:08 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
ineffableone wrote: I'm thinking its going to suck as a functional sword, but 90% of the people who will buy it are just fans who will hang it on a wall anyway.

It'll be more effective once you wrap blue phone cord to it.
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 am

ZH10950 wrote:
Lesson: When the SHTF blow away anyone acting like they are or demanding to be "in charge" before they are in charge and things go wrong.
Brilliant plan. I dont know what could possibly go wrong, until someone else thinks you're the one who wants to be in charge.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZH10950 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:36 am

TravisM.1 wrote:
ZH10950 wrote:
Brilliant plan. I dont know what could possibly go wrong, until someone else thinks you're the one who wants to be in charge.
In a PAW I will be more of a social anarchist type. Would never try to be or demand to be in charge and yes...I would try to whack anyone in my group who acted as such. That dude with the eye patch was rounding up innocent people incapable of fighting. A student of history, I'm comfortable with taking out people like that before it gets too hard to take them out.

Yes, that is brilliant! An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of a cure...and I'd rather shoot one egotistical jackass then have to deal with him and 20 of his cronies later on. Saves ammo too!

Return to “Zombie Training Films”