"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Re: "Walking Dead" New Cable Series

Post by SeerSavant » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:39 pm

RickOShea wrote:
SeerSavant wrote:
Rick seems to be reclaiming his balls, except for the fact that his decisions are weighted down and muddied by a son who appears to have grown pretty cold... He's gonna have to deal with wesley, err Carl pretty damn quick... If not for his family, then for the group.
Which one of the twin boys in the GN started going serial killer, Billy? You don't think they may start showing some of that behavior in the TV show, except with Carl, since he's the only little boy around?

Whoa.... :shock: You know, he did seem really creepy, when he was alone with Randal... Not curious kid, not sneaky missbehaving kid, not even misguided cold and bad seed kid... But Creepy kid...

It makes me wonder....

Wait.... AHA....

Carl Grimes;

Damien Thorn;

Carl;

Damien;

DAMIEN.........................................................CARL!!!!!!!

Image.....................Image

It's your son.... He's the Antichrist!

.... or maybe he's just a creepy ass kid..... :mrgreen:

Eklipsis
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later/28 weeks later

Post by Eklipsis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Dagny wrote: From TWD website synopsis of the next episode, "Better Angels:"

The group learns that someone dangerous may be on the loose near the farm. As night falls, Rick, Shane, Daryl and Glenn comb the woods to handle the situation and keep the group safe.

Another preview shows that Hershel is having "all 14" people move into the house and the group ("We should've moved you all in a while ago"), Hershel and Maggie are otherwise shown preparing to fortify the house with security and provisions. The current previews are up at this link below:

http://www.chevronone.com/tv/the-walkin ... eak-peeks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-
on that last sneak peak anyone notice Tdog says "The govenor called your off the hook" when he went to get Randall?? Now i know he wont be introduced until season 3 at least but im sure those words were chosen on purpose

If you're prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse...blizzards are a breeze.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 am

Eklipsis wrote:

The group learns that someone dangerous may be on the loose near the farm. As night falls, Rick, Shane, Daryl and Glenn comb the woods to handle the situation and keep the group safe.

Another preview shows that Hershel is having "all 14" people move into the house and the group ("We should've moved you all in a while ago"), Hershel and Maggie are otherwise shown preparing to fortify the house with security and provisions. The current previews are up at this link below:

http://www.chevronone.com/tv/the-walkin ... eak-peeks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-
on that last sneak peak anyone notice Tdog says "The govenor called your off the hook" when he went to get Randall?? Now i know he wont be introduced until season 3 at least but im sure those words were chosen on purpose
Hmmm...so, since this is writtn from Ricks groups point of view, this would make a lot of sense...they (Ricks group) give him the name "The Governor", which would lead me to believe that "The" Governor, is in fact the leader of Randalls group...

Nice catch, Eklipsis!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

tireiron

Post by tireiron » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:39 am

angelofwar wrote:
Eklipsis wrote:

-
Hmmm...so, since this is writtn from Ricks groups point of view, this would make a lot of sense...they (Ricks group) give him the name "The Governor", which would lead me to believe that "The" Governor, is in fact the leader of Randalls group...

Nice catch, Eklipsis!
Er... I'd be more inclined to guess it has to do with the fact that a state governor is usually the man that hands out pardons. Rick being nicknamed "the governor" seems doubtful.

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:14 am

tireiron wrote:
angelofwar wrote:
Eklipsis wrote:

-

Nice catch, Eklipsis!
Er... I'd be more inclined to guess it has to do with the fact that a state governor is usually the man that hands out pardons. Rick being nicknamed "the governor" seems doubtful.
Mis-read...what I was getting at, is that with T-Dawg referring to "The Governor" (used in gest), that that title will carry over to the leader of Randalls group, who will turn out to be "The Governor" character in the GN. Clear as mud, I know...

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:12 am

RickOShea wrote:
angelofwar wrote:
RickOShea wrote:When did the kid get "unlocked"?

Last I saw, he was still hanging by his wrists in the barn and Daryl was there sharpening his knife when he heard Dale yelling out.
In the previews for next weeks episode...it's kind of hard to guess how long (days/hours) the next episode is from this last one, but, Dale seems to be the most likely to have done it.
I'm not tracking...... How did Dale unlock the kid when he (The Kid/Randall) was shown still hanging up in the barn with Daryl just a few feet away, while Dale was being attacked out in the field?
I'll have to rewatch it...off the top of my head, it seemed Dale got attacked a little later after they had finished up with Randall...but, your probably right...LOL! But, I think Daryl should have told the group what went down with Randall and his group...I'm sure they're wouldhave been more of a willingness to off the kid.

Eklipsis
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later/28 weeks later

Post by Eklipsis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:33 am

angelofwar wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
angelofwar wrote:
RickOShea wrote:When did the kid get "unlocked"?

Last I saw, he was still hanging by his wrists in the barn and Daryl was there sharpening his knife when he heard Dale yelling out.
In the previews for next weeks episode...it's kind of hard to guess how long (days/hours) the next episode is from this last one, but, Dale seems to be the most likely to have done it.
I'm not tracking...... How did Dale unlock the kid when he (The Kid/Randall) was shown still hanging up in the barn with Daryl just a few feet away, while Dale was being attacked out in the field?
I'll have to rewatch it...off the top of my head, it seemed Dale got attacked a little later after they had finished up with Randall...but, your probably right...LOL! But, I think Daryl should have told the group what went down with Randall and his group...I'm sure they're wouldhave been more of a willingness to off the kid.
I dont think Dale set him free. Pretty sure he was still locked up when Dale was being attacked.

Daryl did kind of tell them what kind of people Randall and his group are. "Our boys will be dead....and the women will wish they would be". I think Randall is just as sick as the others in his group. When he talked about the other girls they came across, something about that was unsettling, and Daryl should have went in to specifics but I dont think that would have changed Dales mind.

If you're prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse...blizzards are a breeze.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:01 am

Eklipsis wrote:Daryl did kind of tell them what kind of people Randall and his group are. "Our boys will be dead....and the women will wish they would be". I think Randall is just as sick as the others in his group. When he talked about the other girls they came across, something about that was unsettling
While fun to conjecture, I'm not going to bother trying to figure out if Randall has been set free based on logic or the nature of Dale's character. If the writers feel it serves the story they want to tell, he'll be free. Or not. They won't let strict character or narrative logic drive a plot point like that.

I do agree Randall's character is at least ambiguous, if not decidedly unsavory. Eklipsis hit the nail on the head about that the way he was relating the story of how his group raped the two young girls. It's like he was (understandably) playing the role of desperate refugee who fell in with the wrong crowd when he was starting to tell that story, but once he slipped into an unguarded recollection of those two girls, he lapsed in a lascivious, creepy frame of mind. And then quickly recalled that he was supposed to by currying sympathy with Darryl. I don't imagine he was just an innocent bystander the night that encounter happened.

And rather than just pleading his case with Carl to gain sympathy, he very quickly conjured up a pretty elaborate lie about how his people would take care of Carl and his family if he helped him escape.

And while a minor point, in "18 Miles Out" he attacked that one zed with particular relish once he reached the knife. I know, I know, no love for the undead, but there was something particularly bloodthirsty about his demeanor once he was able to turn the tables.

Late to this discussion as ususal, so I hope I'm not picking at a fresh wound, but Seerer, dude, I'm so sorry. I might not have had quite the bromance you had with Dale, but I was a huge fan of the character and disagree with many who say he was an annoying, useless busy-body. The group just lost its conscience and the character whose mental health I now fear for the most is Rick. He needed Dale's voice of humanity to balance the expediency of 'kill or be killed' that the rest of the group is promoting.

People who hated Dale just don't understand what Kirkman was trying to do with his story. The apocalypse changes people. And rarely for the better. The issue isn't simply one of survival. Its about what what kind of world is still worth living in. Remember, the title doesn't refer the zombies, it's the living that Kirkman is referring to. When we lose our humanity, we are the walking dead.

With Dale gone, those people are well on their way.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:12 am

majorhavoc wrote: People who hated Dale just don't understand what Kirkman was trying to do with his story. The apocalypse changes people. And rarely for the better. The issue isn't simply one of survival. Its about what what kind of world is still worth living in. Remember, the title doesn't refer the zombies, it's the living that Kirkman is referring to. When we lose our humanity, we are the walking dead.

Nice wrap-up Major!

Ninja-Elbow edit - quotes were messed up so I fixed them for you.

apple4ever

Post by apple4ever » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:15 am

Bearcat wrote:What do you mean by the actor as well? Is he a humanitarian or something? I couldn't find anything on wikipedia.
I meant it was a great acting job
The fact you can't trust him or know his true intentions. Anyone would say anything to get out of being killed. Don't forget that he was shooting at them when they met. He said that he doesn't no where the other group's camp is, something about moving around. I call bullshit, the guy grew up in the area and probably knows all the places they bed down at.
I'm not saying trust him. I'm not saying set him free. I'm not saying just let him join the group. I'm saying when there are few live people, you can't just go killing him. And that's ignoring whole moral aspect of what kind of world is worth living, if people just kill others because they don't trust him.

I don't trust him either. But I say let him help out, but always have a guard on him. And yes he shot at them, but Rick and company would've shot too if the situations were reverse. That's no excuse.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 am

majorhavoc wrote:Late to this discussion as ususal, so I hope I'm not picking at a fresh wound, but Seerer, dude, I'm so sorry. I might not have had quite the bromance you had with Dale, but I was a huge fan of the character and disagree with many who say he was an annoying, useless busy-body. The group just lost its conscience and the character whose mental health I now fear for the most is Rick. He needed Dale's voice of humanity to balance the expediency of 'kill or be killed' that the rest of the group is promoting.

People who hated Dale just don't understand what Kirkman was trying to do with his story. The apocalypse changes people. And rarely for the better. The issue isn't simply one of survival. Its about what what kind of world is still worth living in. Remember, the title doesn't refer the zombies, it's the living that Kirkman is referring to. When we lose our humanity, we are the walking dead.

Agree to disagree...a bit...while I didn't hate him, or think him useless...he was a bully and a busy-body...

I like Dale from the comic more than Dale in the show, and think that the author's intent is more effectively executed in print than in the flesh...the questions of humanity and compassion and civilization and the rule of law in ZPAW are a big part of what I like about PAW stories, but I don't agree with how Dale (on TV) was acting for reasons I already went into...

I think that without TV-Dale harping from the cheap seats at the periphery of the group, the remaining survivors will develop a more balanced and thoughtful approach to compassion and safety and civilization in future episodes...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:57 am

Dealing with Randall is like the search for Sophia: a crisis that never should have arisen in the first place. Remember when Rick stashed Sophia by the riverbank? If he'd had something on his belt more useful than a gun, he'd have killed both walkers right then, and walked back with the girl. If he had left the wounded enemy shooter on the fence, they could have spent the last week preparing for the new gang that's come to town. (Foolish, I know; they still haven't prepared for the other gang that's already there, walkers.) Next best case, Rick should have tossed Randall to the walkers in the public works yard. He had just told Shane that he was capable of sacrificing someone in their Otis conversation. Of course, if you've had him for seven days, you should already know everything he knows about his group.

I agree that Darryl could have been more specific about what the others have been up to, but I put that down to tv writing. No biggie, he said as much as necessary. I hated hearing as much as I did; I'm fine with them not belaboring the point. But once he told Darryl that example, I would have asked him why he hadn't died trying to stop it. He's either lying about his part in it, or he's he's not willing to risk his neck for anybody. Either way, he's off my island.

Dale's death took me by surprise.

Carl? I blame a lot of his actions on Lori. She's still pretending that old societal norms apply to her life, and keeps trying to protect his child-like mentality. No wonder he still thinks in terms of "will I get in trouble" as opposed to "survival". At the same time, he's going through a huge shift in his reality, and he's way ahead of his mother in grasping it. When I was ten, I was tromping through the woods, but I wasn't doing it with a Browning in my pocket, a fixed-blade on my belt, a cool trooper hat, and a possibility of shooting a monster. That kid probably felt like a million bucks, right up until he blew it with the walker.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

nathat

Post by nathat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:18 am

Dale's death will make a more lasting impression than anything he could say alive. He had already lost most of his pull in the group as we saw during the meeting. Rick realized how important humanity is because his son has lost his (telling him to shoot the kid), Andrea will come back to earth a bit now that Dale is gone because she agreed with him right before he died which will make a lasting impression on her, Darryl is involved again and will become invested into the people. I think Andrea will now take a no-nonsense, yet moral character to replace Dale but with a more direct approach. Daryll, heck freakin yeah! It's good to see him back in action. He has the ability to lead, but prefers not to make the hard decisions. He's an "in the moment" leader and moral compass, which I love about him. I see him being there for the group when it needs it most but otherwise staying out. Rick I think has gained back some humanity if nothing else than for his kid/kids.

I think Darryl, Andrea, and Rick will start to form a nice relationship of leadership and balance. Shane will try to undermine this (especially with Andrea) but Rick and Darryl already know how Shane is now. Andrea is starting to learn, and all it will take is Shane to badmouth Dale now before Andrea rights him off. She may kill him herself :). I can see Rick making decisions, Andrea being the angel on the right shoulder, Shane the Devil on the left, and Darryl there to do what is right when something fails.

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:25 pm

The T-Dog Governor line is a throw-away referring to pardons state governors hand out. Nothing more.

Randall was still tied up. Check the scene when Dale gets attacked and screams. He is strung up and gagged in the barn and Daryl is getting ready to slit his throat so the group won't have to worry about him. Greg Nicotero, the director, said as much on The Talking Dead aftershow.

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Daryl did kind of tell them what kind of people Randall and his group are. "Our boys will be dead....and the women will wish they would be". I think Randall is just as sick as the others in his group. When he talked about the other girls they came across, something about that was unsettling, and Daryl should have went in to specifics but I dont think that would have changed Dales mind.
Bingo. Something really creepy about him the way he said that and the way he talked to Carl.

Cherokee John

Post by Cherokee John » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Dale was important to the group in the sense that he could look at the big picture and realize that they needed boundaries and maintain a link to their former world least they become worse than the Walkers. He took the time to think and use reason which ultimately makes us better humans and better at surviving than animals and Walkers. It's planning and reason that will ultimately help them to survive. I understand Kirkman wanted to kill him off as the show gets darker and more "primitive". A man of reason and morality like Dale won't have any place in this new world. He was a good character and his sensitivity was much needed in the group.

But how would Dale have handled what happened at the bar? We all know that wouldn't have ended nicely.

Sorry Shane is a dumb ass. He does not think a step ahead like Rick. He reacts. And frankly he reacts badly most of the time. If they let him run the show, everyone would be dead and it would be him and Lori stuck in a snow drift eating Andrea's butt over a poorly made fire. Yeah-leave the farm. You have security, food, water and medical aid. You and your shotgun and 20 rounds will get you real far. Go rub your head a little more and you'll figure it out.

Rick makes bad choices but he has the ability to admit when he is wrong and the decisiveness to make decisions.

Yeah Daryl's a bad ass. But he's got the emotional level of a 10 year old. He's great at making squirrel stew and pinning zombies but no way would he live long outside the group.

Randall's got to go. I would have gotten way more intel about his group from him than Daryl did.
“Guns tell the truth. Guns never say, "I'm only kidding."
― Gustav Hasford, The Short-Timers

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:34 pm

The fact you can't trust him or know his true intentions. Anyone would say anything to get out of being killed. Don't forget that he was shooting at them when they met. He said that he doesn't no where the other group's camp is, something about moving around. I call bullshit, the guy grew up in the area and probably knows all the places they bed down at.
apple4ever wrote:I'm not saying trust him. I'm not saying set him free. I'm not saying just let him join the group. I'm saying when there are few live people, you can't just go killing him. And that's ignoring whole moral aspect of what kind of world is worth living, if people just kill others because they don't trust him.

I don't trust him either. But I say let him help out, but always have a guard on him. And yes he shot at them, but Rick and company would've shot too if the situations were reverse. That's no excuse.
I don't believe Rick and his group would have acted the same way if roles were reversed. They came to a peaceful resolution when they had the run in with the Mexican gang at the retirement home. Nor did they attack Otis, after he had shot the boy, or the family at the farm. The group Randall came from already had evil elements you could see from the behavior of the two men at the bar. Randall also told Daryl about the raiding and raping his group does. It's a question of self preservation and not morality. They had/have just cause not to trust him. He's not just a stranger hitchhiking on the road. In the PAW, there are no prisons. Ideally that's where he should be placed, but that's a luxury they can't afford. So what if he does help out and try to prove himself? All he needs is for one slip up or to gain their trust to either escape and/or escape and attack in some form. Judging by the previews, he did escape and is now a threat to the group's safety.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:54 pm

Whats happening with Daryl? Honestly I'm sorry if this sounds stupid. I just cant sort of see where he is going, What sort of mood he is in or anything :gonk:

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:26 pm

HuntingBow96 wrote:Whats happening with Daryl? Honestly I'm sorry if this sounds stupid. I just cant sort of see where he is going, What sort of mood he is in or anything :gonk:
No, I'm right there with you. I was so proud of the dude for risking everything to help Carol and look for Sophia. Then he sort of wigged out when the Sophia episode was over and now all of the sudden he's back doing the group's dirty work (torturing Randall). And admittedly doing the right thing delivering that coupe de grace to poor Dale. All the while being pissy to everyone around him. I can't figure the guy out.

I mean, I had no doubt he had the cajones to do something like beat that information out of Randall, but it seems like it would have been more in his character to have said "Find some other bitch to do the dirty work you don't have the balls to do!"

I'm really hoping we'll learn more about Daryl's past that might explain his inconsistent behavior. I also hope that maybe Dale's final visit to him helped him see he has something important to contribute to the group. God knows they need him more than ever.

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:41 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
HuntingBow96 wrote:Whats happening with Daryl? Honestly I'm sorry if this sounds stupid. I just cant sort of see where he is going, What sort of mood he is in or anything :gonk:
No, I'm right there with you. I was so proud of the dude for risking everything to help Carol and look for Sophia. Then he sort of wigged out when the Sophia episode was over and now all of the sudden he's back doing the group's dirty work (torturing Randall). And admittedly doing the right thing delivering that coupe de grace to poor Dale. All the while being pissy to everyone around him. I can't figure the guy out.

I mean, I had no doubt he had the cajones to do something like beat that information out of Randall, but it seems like it would have been more in his character to have said "Find some other bitch to do the dirty work you don't have the balls to do!"

I'm really hoping we'll learn more about Daryl's past that might explain his inconsistent behavior. I also hope that maybe Dale's final visit to him helped him see he has something important to contribute to the group. God knows they need him more than ever.

This is how I am feeling about him at the moment. Agree with it all.

nathat

Post by nathat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:09 pm

HuntingBow96 wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:

This is how I am feeling about him at the moment. Agree with it all.
His character makes so much since to me. He was brought up with hate and pain. As soon as he allowed himself to care he got hurt, bad. He reverted to what he knew, but in the end the death of Dale and some other events will bring him back to be the unsung hero.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:15 pm

IIRC, someone on The Talking Dead said he was becoming Rick's Enforcer....... I can totally see that. No matter how much I like the character, he's just not leader material. But he is the "right-hand man" type that gets stuff done, no matter how dirty his hands have to get to carry it out the task.

Edit: Ha, ha....Rick's right hand. :twisted:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:51 pm

**Spoilers**

Just caught it last night on onDemand (was out Sunday night). Wow!

1) I like how the show is paralelling the comic story line now, in that it is a question of "how did we get to be the bad guy?" The comic has eluded to this but it has come to the main character's vision just in the last issue. For those that read it, look at the "Fear the Hunter" storyline and how that ended up.

One small point of contention: Rape? Can we ever get away from the "rapists and cannibals" trope? I'm tired of justifying the other side's villification with rape and cannibalism.

2) Irony? IS that what the last episode was? The one that fought so hard to stop an execution and save on some humanity was, in turn, executed for mercy. The one that was offering up the mercy could not do it, as he could also not go through with the first execution. One of the ones who fought the hardest to execute Randall also fought the hardest to save Dale and delivered the coup de grace. Looks like he was fitna kill Randall before Dale got in trouble too.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:21 pm

ninja-elbow wrote: Looks like he was fitna kill Randall before Dale got in trouble.
It was a really quick scene and I didn't catch it until the second airring, but I kinda got the same feeling. Rick had already decided they would keep Randall in "custody"......So why was Dirty D hanging out in the barn (sharpening his blade?). :wink:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Return to “Zombie Training Films”