"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tireiron

Re: "Walking Dead" New Cable Series

Post by tireiron » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 am

Bwahaahaha....I wonder if the writers are going to follow the lead of the voters. "Shoot Shane"...hahhahahahahaha
Season 2 finished shooting before Christmas last year, so not likely... I know the feeling though, there have been times when folks on this thread have called it, and I mean called it... as though the writers were reading along....
They had a great array of characters, but have been ignoring most of them (especially T-dog) in favor of overdoing other aspects of the story.
I look at season 2 as the Empire Strikes Back of the series; few decisive battles, a handful of alarming twists, and pushing through some neccessary character stuff...

Cargosquid

Post by Cargosquid » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 am

Jamie wrote: ..... He stated that he felt the group was broken, and made it clear that he thought they would be committing murder, but didn't do anything about it. If I believed that the group was acting improperly, and was in fact about to commit an unjustified and unjust murder, I would have left the room (as he did) and, instead of pouting before getting disemboweled, rescued the prisoner and left with him.

Jamie

Now THAT would have been an interesting spin. Dale takes off with the RV and Randall, never to be seen again. You know...until the raiders show up driving the RV.....

biggcarl

Post by biggcarl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:47 am

Dale was worried about the rule of law. Sorry if the dead come back to "life" and start eating people never mind the rule of law. The law of reality and certainity just shifted. And it's not in the living's favor.

New world, new "rules". Dale's wanting to hold on to something that quite frankly didn't exist anymore is what got him killed.

Adapt or die, Shane has it figured out. I'd like to rewatch the series and see how many more people would be alive if they followed Shane from the beginning.
Jeriah wrote:
What is a good way to stash a small item for later retrieval, for those who are squamish about using their prison wallet?

tireiron

Post by tireiron » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:00 am

biggcarl wrote: Adapt or die, Shane has it figured out. I'd like to rewatch the series and see how many more people would be alive if they followed Shane from the beginning.
Not Otis.

biggcarl

Post by biggcarl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 am

tireiron wrote:
biggcarl wrote: Adapt or die, Shane has it figured out. I'd like to rewatch the series and see how many more people would be alive if they followed Shane from the beginning.
Not Otis.

Otis falls under adapting.
Jeriah wrote:
What is a good way to stash a small item for later retrieval, for those who are squamish about using their prison wallet?

tireiron

Post by tireiron » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:06 am

biggcarl wrote:
tireiron wrote:
Not Otis.

How did he not adapt? By being too trusting of strangers, like Shane?

Velociryan

Post by Velociryan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:25 am

tireiron wrote:
biggcarl wrote:
tireiron wrote:
Not Otis.

Cardio.

biggcarl

Post by biggcarl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:26 am

tireiron wrote:
biggcarl wrote:
tireiron wrote:
Not Otis.

Sorry, should have made it clearer. Otis' death is a result of Shane being quick to adapt to the new reality they live in.
Jeriah wrote:

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:30 am

I'm glad we are seeing more of Daryl, Need my weekly fix :lol:

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:41 am

Interesting, show last night....

At this point if I were a part of this group, I think I would be planning my exit. Normally strength is in the pack, but with this group it may be better to be a lone wolf for awhile.

Not really a true group just a bunch of people who I guess met up on the highway during an evacuation.
No clear leadership. (The first duty of a leader is to lead.)
No clear rules of engagement or standard operating procedures. If there are some people don't seem to follow them.
Petty infighting.

Since they have gotten themselves into a no choice position (can't let Randall join the group and can't let him go) about Randall, if I were Rick I would take Randall way out and find out if the Dr. at the CDC is right or not.
Former member of Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children
Strength and Honor!

http://www.meetup.com/SouthPugetSoundPreppers/

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:17 pm

biggcarl wrote:Adapt or die, Shane has it figured out. I'd like to rewatch the series and see how many more people would be alive if they followed Shane from the beginning.
Too many unknowns and variables. They'd probably still be in the quarry outside of Atlanta, too busy hiding behind a make-shift wall of rocks to be able to gather food and water. It'd be a crap-shoot as to whether-or-not they'd be better off.

Hell, knowing Shane, he'd probably have sacrificed all of them by now, just to keep himself and Lori (and possibly Carl) alive.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Dagny wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:
Dagny wrote:Next week looks exciting - they're going to batten down the hatches, apparently.

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/v ... ter-angels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-
So they lose another person under Ricks leadership, and now there going to cut the guy loose. And that's after Rick asked everyone for input and they, except for poor Dale and Andrea felt he should be put down.

Sorry, Rick's yes, no, maybe, let me think, OK, yes-no, wait a minute, well OK, umm, naw let's not, kind of leadership really sucks.

It's not Rick's fault that Dale was foolishly walking around in the dark by himself and was too slow on the uptake to protect himself from a walker - among whose disadvantages is the inability to move quickly.

Randall didn't kill Dale. Rick didn't kill Dale.

I feel sorry for the cow.

-
It was Dale that got Dale killed directly. What I lay at Rick's feet, as the leader, is that he has never set up any kind overwatch policy, buddy system, etc.
Hell, he can't manage his own kid.

One of his prime responsibilites is to keep them safe and has not done a single thing to address security.
WWSD?

Wolfe4086
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead Series
Zombii Series
Cemetary Man
Zombieland

Post by Wolfe4086 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:17 pm

biggcarl wrote:
Sorry, should have made it clearer. Otis' death is a result of Shane being quick to save himself at the expense of others.
Fixed that for you. There were other ways Shane could have gotten away without shooting Otis. However Shane is all about Shane. Also about Carl the beginning of the season they would not let him out of their sight. Now Lori and Rick seem to let the little SOB run all over without any supervision.
"The price of failure is to be paid for in blood" Sensei Yamashita - Tanaka Corporation School of Assassins

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Evil Dead, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by rhi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Jamie wrote:I have diminishing hopes for this show, but will continue to watch it for lack of any other ZPAW material on the TV.
Let's hope for better things if/when DBDA gets made into a mini-series.
Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home.

drewder
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: White Zombie (1932 Bella Lugosi)
Dawn of the Dead (new and original)
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
The Return of the Living Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2 (dead by dawn)
Army of Darkness
Grindhouse
Planet Terror
28 days later
28 Weeks Later
I am Legend
The FOG (original, the remake sucked ass)
Resident Evil (the Saga)
Silent Hill
The Phantasm (the SAGA)
Friday the 13th (from start to finish)
Pet Sematary
Night of the Comet

Post by drewder » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Eh, what gets me is.... no one has learned any real Zombie Defense other than use of weapons. How many times has a zombie "mounted" or gotten on top of someone? Why hasn't anyone learned/taught anyone how to get out of these constant situations?

Something else I gotta point out is, is Carl really that wrong? He is a kid, and the last of his camp's kind. He has no one to play with. Nothing to really do but constantly be told by grown-ups what to do. Come on, when you were a kid, didn't you run off on your own or get into some sort of trouble? I think what we saw last night was something along the lines of Carl being a typical boy at a very bad time. He knows not to play with guns and he knows zombies are dangerous, but kids know not to play with fire but sometimes.....they still need to get burned. Last night was a result of Carl f#cking up bigtime and Dale paid the price because of it. Now, Dale also should have been a lot more vigilant. You see something wrong, CHECK YOUR F#CKING SURROUNDINGS and make sure the coast is clear. He target-fixated on the cow and it got him killed.
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

tireiron

Post by tireiron » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Paladin1 wrote: One of his prime responsibilites is to keep them safe and has not done a single thing to address security.
I feel you, but its not accurate to say he hasn't done a single thing...

1) He petitioned Herschel to allow them to keep an armed lookout on the farm...

2) Season 1, he trekked back into harm's way to salvage a supply of guns and ammo...

3) He drilled two raiders as soon as it became apparent they posed a threat to his party...

4) He, along with Shane, organized firearms training for the group...

5) Season 1, he clapped the bracelets on Merle when Merle began to pose an internal threat to the group...

Just throwing that out there.

I, for one, enjoy that our heros are constantly making mistakes. It makes them more human. The show would get boring quick if everybody transformed overnight into cold, calculated zombie-killing machines...

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:49 pm

First time to chime in on this, but that last episode was terrible. I pretty much hate every single character on the series at this point, and it's totally off the rails from the books. It's entirely predictable as well.

As others have stated, the only reason I'm still watching this is lack of other new ZPAW content on TV.

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Paladin1 wrote:
Dagny wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:
Dagny wrote:Next week looks exciting - they're going to batten down the hatches, apparently.

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/v ... ter-angels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-
Can somebody explain what happens in this? Its not letting me watch it for some strange reason :gonk:

Dagny

Post by Dagny » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Kill or let live. Stay or go. Are the starring characters of TWD a “good” group or a bad group?

Notwithstanding Dale’s demise, I think this latest episode left the transmission in neutral, compared to the previous two which were pedal-to-the-metal in Drive. But the ongoing tensions over who is right, wrong, in charge, threatening, etc. remain compelling.

One of the polls in the AMC Walking Dead “sync” during this episode included whether Randall should be killed. The current figure is 48.88% in support of Randall being allowed to live and 51.12% that he should be killed. I was/am similarly torn on the best course of action, for reasons that have bearing on whether the wisest course of action for individuals in the group is to go solo or stay (I’m a believer in The Group).

Consider: 1) there are few non-walker people to choose from in TWDworld, and; 2) the hostile conditions magnify the dictum that there is strength in numbers.

So as a practical matter, for the good of our TWD group, killing someone like Randall should be very carefully considered. He’s young, strong (once he heals from the leg wound) and apparently able. Unless Randall has loved ones in the group that left him to die, it is illogical that he would prefer them over our group that rescued him, lives on a producing farm and has a doctor in residence. My primary concern over Randall would not be that he’d alert the other group to our location but that he is in some way a bad guy who would harm our group from within (i.e. serial rapist, child molester or some other form of evil psycho). In that latter regard, he could be allowed to stay on a probationary basis (no gun, locked in at night to sleep, etc.), a conditional invitation that should be reasonable to a rational person in that environment.

For its own sake, the group should be disposed to err on the side of presuming Randall could be a net contributor. Their “new normal” requires: 1) vigilant 24/7 security in the form of lookouts and armed guards; 2) food-water hunters, gatherers and preparers; 3) manual laborers to find/maintain/build shelter and do the myriad tasks of surviving in some comfort, etc. TWDworld is proving to be a brutal process of attrition - competent contributors to the collective are high value.

Solo for any length of time is a very poor option in TWDworld -- with ravenous walkers unpredictable and roaming 24/7 and non-walker marauders increasingly desperate for everything that you have and need. Unless you found your own personal Wal-Mart to live in that was not vulnerable to attack, you are going to have a very difficult time fending for yourself and there will be no margin for error in regard to being injured or sick. And humans are social animals - being isolated in that bleak world would be, from a psychological perspective, Hell on Earth.

Is our group good or bad? Broken or unbroken? All indications are that all the individuals in our group, as currently constituted, started out as mostly ethical, honorable people and have stayed that way despite tremendous duress. Shane is arguably the exception but was a police officer so there’s a presumption that he was a relatively decent fellow pre-apocalypse.

As to whether our group is broken, I think Dale’s final contribution was to insist on a process of discussion for some situations that is strengthening. Rick’s a good and capable guy but others may have superior ideas in certain situations and everyone should be encouraged to be thinking at all times of ways to improve the group’s prospects.

The social aspect of apocalyptic survival keeps me tuning into TWD (and led me to The Stand and Jericho). I would not care if they never show another walker being put down.

-

Dagny

Post by Dagny » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:31 pm

Some reviews of last night's episode:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cel ... _blog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Given that the RV roadmaster spent this entire episode arguing against human sacrifice — not to mention that his guts were splayed all over his torso in a most repulsive fashion — his death was beyond upsetting. In fact, I’d say this was the most upsetting death thus far in “Walking Dead” history.”

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/03/0 ... ecutioner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“...if TWD’s producers got the memo about quicker pacing, they ignored it for last night’s episode. It must have been for a good reason. It could be because, with only two episodes left, the writers wanted to fit in one last extended debate about post-apocalyptic morality before letting the s— fly.”

http://www.seattlepi.com/ae/tv/tvguide/ ... 381369.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/03/04/the-w ... dead-dale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“TV-Dale was never particularly exciting and was frequently very annoying. With his death, the show no longer has a bland voice of reason. Even better — the fact that Dale was killed by a walker who was attracted to the farm by Li’l Carl might indicate a loss of innocence for the show’s kid mascot.”

http://www.examiner.com/tv-in-columbus/ ... ner-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
when Daryl accepts his role in the group. A role as the guy who does things that should be done but are things that can’t be done by others, such as giving a mercy bullet to Dale’s head uttering “Sorry, brother.”

-
Last edited by Dagny on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dagny

Post by Dagny » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 pm

HuntingBow96 wrote: Can somebody explain what happens in this? Its not letting me watch it for some strange reason :gonk:

From TWD website synopsis of the next episode, "Better Angels:"

The group learns that someone dangerous may be on the loose near the farm. As night falls, Rick, Shane, Daryl and Glenn comb the woods to handle the situation and keep the group safe.

Another preview shows that Hershel is having "all 14" people move into the house and the group ("We should've moved you all in a while ago"), Hershel and Maggie are otherwise shown preparing to fortify the house with security and provisions. The current previews are up at this link below:

http://www.chevronone.com/tv/the-walkin ... eak-peeks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-
Last edited by Dagny on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:40 pm

I just saw the preview...T-dog has a line!

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Dagny wrote:
HuntingBow96 wrote: Can somebody explain what happens in this? Its not letting me watch it for some strange reason :gonk:

From TWD website synopsis of the next episode, "Better Angels:"

The group learns that someone dangerous may be on the loose near the farm. As night falls, Rick, Shane, Daryl and Glenn comb the woods to handle the situation and keep the group safe.

Another preview shows that Hershel is having "all 14" people move into the house and the group ("We should've moved you all in a while ago"), Hershel and Maggie are otherwise shown preparing to fortify the house with security and provisions. The current previews are up at this link below:

http://www.chevronone.com/tv/the-walkin ... eak-peeks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm

My review is up. A bit short this week, but hope to make up next week.

http://couchpotatoprepper.blogspot.com/ ... -dead.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Zombie Training Films”