Steel Rain

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Steel Rain

Post by Stercutus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:04 pm

This is a movie about a coup in North Korean and the attempts to avoid a nuclear war on the peninsula. This movie is way better than the dumb title would suggest. In my experience Korean movies suffer from one of three crippling faults: all action-no movie, over dramatization or over silliness. While there are a few bits of drama, some humor and plenty of action it is all really well balanced. In fact this might be the best movie I have ever seen come out of SK in the action/ adventure genre.

The heroes of the movie are a high level RoK diplomat and a DPRK super spy. The bad guys are mostly everyone else to varying degrees. The viewpoints and the politics in the movie are very much Korea centric and a certain party in Korea centric. That does not spoil the story at all, indeed it even enhances it quite a bit. Western movies tend to suffer from a liberal/ conservative bias, but are all totally Western in POV that is insidious. To Westerners this gives a little peek as to what it looks like from outside the fishbowl.

The first thirty minutes of the movie is very complicated if you know little about Korean politics, geography and the status quo. Even if you do you need to pay attention or you will miss the more subtle details that Koreans will take for granted. After that the movie flows in to spy type movie with very little that is over the top. At times during the story I vacillated between disbelief and imagining the possibilities it could happen given the current political landscape. While some of the details I would dispute overall it had a realistic feel to it. I especially appreciated the interactions between the SK and US leaders.

Special effects are very good, although CGI is a little on the weak side. Production, acting, writing are all first rate. Sound quality suffers a bit in a few places but I wondered if at times this was actually deliberate. The movie ran 2:15 but did not feel overly long to me. I'll say 9/10 so give it a watch on Netflix.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Return to “Zombie Training Films”