It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stranger Things 1 and 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:31 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Cannot begin to articulate how incredibly awesome this series is. Almost everything about it is genius. Funny, charming, moving and creepy as all bloody hell.

I've got three episodes left to watch and am trying to draw out the enjoyment a little longer. I'm having way more fun with this than TWD right now.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:36 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Also a huge fan of the show. I didn't grow up in the 80's, but I def hate the future so the retro theme is awesome. Plus I love how the characters are very real while being flawed in a consistent but understandable way.... did I say real?? Yeah, they seem real.

Plus, the plot is creative but doesn't take itself too seriously.

Plus, I love a good conspiracy!!

(Plus, I typed "plus" a lot, so it must be good)

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:26 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I am currently watching this with my GF. She is very frustrated I don't want to binge it all in one night.

The amount of times people don't retreat and call for back up does annoy me.

Don't go into the Upside down! Alone, unsupported and hardly armed.... this may of course have something to do with me calling short my evening walk last week when the fog started to thicken, ominously, around me.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 am 

I found the first season better than the second. The first was very good, the second season was kind of "here we go again".

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:26 pm 

I had just finished it too. Love the 80's details in the backgrounds, props etc. Posters, hair and clothing, and music. There's an Atari box in the closet in one scene.

It was fun, binged the second season after spreading the first out over a week or so. There were just a few plot things that I had to let go.

The one main thing I had a problem with was the Chief basically keeping Elle [11] prisoner in the cabin in S2, just like the evil scientists kept her prisoner in S1 flashbacks. Couldn't he understand that that was what he was doing?

And another little thing was that none of the characters picked up on the fact that bullets didn't work on the demadogs.

Lastly, a demadog could make its own doorway from the underneath to the 'on top' pretty much anywhere it wanted. But there was only one doorway to the underneath, except for the other little hidden ones scattered around. :?:

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 pm 

I love both seasons. Two things bother me.

1. Barb got a raw deal. I will avoid posting spoilers, but I'm happy to discuss it via PM.

2. Chief Hopper's knife is an anachronism. There were no half-serrated folders with thumb studs in the early 1980s. He should have a Buck 110 or maybe a SAK or Barlow.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:14 pm 

His vehicle and most of his police gear are also anachronisms. I try not to let it get in the way of the show.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:56 pm 

Towanda wrote:
I love both seasons. Two things bother me.

1. Barb got a raw deal. I will avoid posting spoilers, but I'm happy to discuss it via PM.

2. Chief Hopper's knife is an anachronism. There were no half-serrated folders with thumb studs in the early 1980s. He should have a Buck 110 or maybe a SAK or Barlow.

I don't remember exactly when but I know I had a spyderco by the mid eighties. I remember it being serrated . I remember I liked it better than thumb studs. Pretty sure it was half serrated. I've never been completely sold on serrated edges and sitting here thinking , to the best of my memory the first fully serrated blade I owned was a Civilian. which would have been in the early 90's

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
His vehicle and most of his police gear are also anachronisms. I try not to let it get in the way of the show.

I'm not good at identifying model years just by looking at vehicles, but I know that there were Chevy Blazers that looked pretty much like Hopper's in 1982-1984. What about the rest of his gear is anachronistic?

Found somebody on another forum complaining that the song "A Hazy Shade of Winter," which was used in Season 1, didn't come out until 1987. They had never heard of Simon and Garfunkel. :lol:

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:12 am 

Quote:
I'm not good at identifying model years just by looking at vehicles, but I know that there were Chevy Blazers that looked pretty much like Hopper's in 1982-1984. What about the rest of his gear is anachronistic?

He uses LED flashlights

His radio wasn't invented until the 90s

The light bar on his Blazer came out in the 90s

The MP5 PDW version did not come out until the 90s

It still looks old, just not as old it should be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:03 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Stercutus wrote:
Quote:

He uses LED flashlights

His radio wasn't invented until the 90s

The light bar on his Blazer came out in the 90s

It still looks old, just not as old it should be.

Plus the Berettas in season 1. I think IMFDB does a good job pointing these out but I haven't clicked over there in a while.

I can forgive some issues with anachronism as long as its kinda close. They had to get so many other things right such as clothing, bags from stores, merchandise boxes, etc.

The second season dealt a lot with crappy flashlights from the 80's... All the kids had lights that looked like they came from a cracker jack box...

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:53 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Stercutus wrote:

1991, to be specific.

But to be fair, in keeping with the "nearly unlimited resources under the umbrella of the DOE and powerful enough to literally open a portal to another dimension" theme of Hawkins Lab, is it unreasonable that they may have decided that something PDWesque was warranted? IMFDB has some stills of the "mock PDW" and it appears to have neither the vertigrip of the PDW nor the PDW stock nor the UMP stock, the stock in fact appears to be so square that my immediate thought was of a ZM LR-300, but of course it is not. This only applies to the season 1 MP5's, the second clearly features true PDW MP5's.

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Plus the Berettas in season 1. I think IMFDB does a good job pointing these out but I haven't clicked over there in a while.

92 designed in 72, US began issuing in 85.

While we're on the subject of firearm inaccuracies, can we talk for a second about WTF the light mounts were on the Colt 72-'s? Like I know it's dark and your lights are massive, but can we at least pretend you care about having a usable sight picture? I know M16 pattern rifles were equipped with under barrel lights as early as 88 (as evidenced by Larry Vickers mounting a dive light under the barrel of his CAR-15) so why did the omnipotent Hawkins do something so goofy?

****SPOILERS BELOW****

AND WHY DID HAWKINS NOT HAVE DEFENSIBLE POSITIONS AROUND THE GATE IN SEASON TWO?! SERIOUSLY PEOPLE! They knew about the demogorgon, they knew that things from the upside down don't like to be set on fire, at least have a FIDO class weapon set up at the top of the elevator shaft.

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:46 am 

Quote:
why did the omnipotent Hawkins do something so goofy?

A lot of people in law enforcement did goofy stuff like that back then. Military too.

When the original Terminator movie came out everyone thought how high speed it was to have a laser on a pistol (and then shoot them from four feet away). The laser would be absolute clownshoes today.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Enjoyed the show and 80's theme immensely. Just need to forgive some of the plot faults and anachronisms...
Great atmosphere...
I remember dreading any encounters with mindflayers on the early 90's Dungeons and Dragons pc games..dam Mob was way too Uber..

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/