Bushwick - SHTF/Civil War II Movie

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Romanov

Bushwick - SHTF/Civil War II Movie

Post by Romanov » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 am

Quick Rundown: Average day goes to hell real quick when an unknown force begins a coordinated attack on New York, a girl coming home from college and a combat medic veteran try to survive and make it to a military evacuation point.

Unlike most imaginings of a second civil war, this story comes from a leftist/progressive point of view. I won't spoil anything, but it does give the movie a different flavor at times. It's certainly interesting to go through the looking glass and see an event like this from the other side's perspective.

Dave Bautista hasn't disappointed me yet and had a couple decent scenes in here. The movie is edited to appear as one continuous single take tracking shot, which gives it a very tense feeling (for this specific type of movie, it works very well).

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Bushwick - SHTF/Civil War II Movie

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:48 am

Romanov wrote:

Quick Rundown: Average day goes to hell real quick when an unknown force begins a coordinated attack on New York, a girl coming home from college and a combat medic veteran try to survive and make it to a military evacuation point.

Unlike most imaginings of a second civil war, this story comes from a leftist/progressive point of view. I won't spoil anything, but it does give the movie a different flavor at times. It's certainly interesting to go through the looking glass and see an event like this from the other side's perspective.

Dave Bautista hasn't disappointed me yet and had a couple decent scenes in here. The movie is edited to appear as one continuous single take tracking shot, which gives it a very tense feeling (for this specific type of movie, it works very well).
I'll see this movie, just probably not in the theater. I want to know more about the enemy.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:38 am

I *probably* love that this is coming out. Fiction is one of the great ways to see the world and get a deeper understand of how a group thinks and feels.

If the disaster is plausible, I"m in. Not for theater watching, but I rarely do that anymore.

If it does not lead to further divisiveness in the country, I"m all for more disaster fiction.

EDIT: Ok. Watched it. What I saw in the preview is not really plausible for the same reason a number of Right Wing scenarios are not plausible.

Co-opting the government to do dastardly deeds is plausible. It looked like "rounding up minorities and imposing martial law in New York" was the plot. I see significant holes in that. I"ll wait til I actually watch it to say more. At this point all I have is guess work.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 am

I'll watch it. Looks decent enough, better than some of the other garbage that's been put out.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:51 pm

It's already on Amazon prime ( $5.99 to rent $14.99 to buy ) Vudu and Fandango now
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:03 pm

*********************spoiler alert**************
Save U R money

"When a Texas military force invades their Brooklyn neighborhood, 20-year-old Lucy and war veteran Stupe must depend on each other to survive."

The critics are less supportive...
Lucy is an entitled, petulant dolt whose most interesting trait is that she doesn’t go into shock despite conditions that would put her there multiple times. Stupe is a stock Bautista type: taciturn, grunty, all that. He’s an ex-Marine who’s supposed to have Rambo-esque skills (and of course somebody makes a point of mentioning the Stallone character, for “verisimilitude,” I guess), but when he deigns to teach Lucy how to use a gun, he never shows her where the safety is.

The movie’s main feature is a group of long-take, moving-camera action scenes that I guess might have been more engaging had the characters on the run and in battle been figures you wanted to spend any time with.
They’re not.
These set pieces are either getting much easier to do, or they are the sole talent of co-directors Cary Murnion and Jonathan Milott, because the filmmakers distinguish themselves in precisely zero other ways. The obnoxious, opportunistic premise is a menace-from-within scenario that’s laughable even in the wake of certain current events. The numbskull faux nihilism of the ending is possibly intended as a homage to a recently departed horror movie director, but it’s more like a callow insult.

*********************spoiler alert**************

What’s it about?

Civil-engineering graduate student Lucy goes home to visit her grandmother in Bushwick, and finds the Brooklyn neighborhood overrun by masked soldiers systematically killing everyone in sight. After a close encounter with a pair of looters, she teams up with Stupe, a gruff janitor whose battlefield medical skills, collection of firearms, and references to military tactics clearly indicate that he’s much more dangerous than he appears.

As the pair look for Lucy’s family, they discover that the soldiers are actually an impromptu army sent by a coalition of Southern states, attempting to seize Bushwick as part of a Texas secessionist movement. If Stupe and Lucy can cross five blocks, there might be a way out — but that’s harder than it sounds.
Okay, what’s it really about?

In a post-film Q&A session at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival, Milott and Murnion said they were inspired by an offhand comment about secession from former Texas governor Rick Perry. Bushwick imagines a literal culture war, but it seems more specifically interested in inverting the right-wing fantasy of guerrilla resistance. Instead of Americans banding together to rise up against a foreign invader, Bushwick residents must unite to defeat an enemy who thinks principles like racial tolerance make their city weak. And instead of seeing warfare as purposeful and cleansing, Stupe — a disillusioned veteran built like a mountain — feels as though he’s being drawn back into something inherently repellant.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:01 pm

I'll watch it when it's free on netflix or amazon. I'll probably roll my eyes a lot, but it has Bautista and Aesop Rock music so there are some redeeming qualities...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Implausible. If you have Texas you don't need a Bushwick!
Boldly going nowhere

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:38 pm

TacAir wrote:*********************spoiler alert**************
Save U R money
Honestly I"m interested in the themes in common with disaster fantasies more typically expressed by the political Right. One theme which stood out is the concern with "irrational people gaining power in government." That has been a concern of the Right for a long time. I think the founders of America, the writers of the Constitution, had the same fears. I think the Left and the Right need to come together and really embrace the original rules of the Constitution (spoiler alert: I'm a strict Constitutionalist). While the Left and Right don't always agree on what to do, I think there is a lot of common ground in what they *fear.*

I think taking this movie literally will fail to see the real lessons deeper in the movie. I don't think the makers are aware of the deeper implications here. I suspect they are doofuses. But I could be wrong.

What I"m seeing is a concern with Militarism and a recognition of their inability to deal with it. I think there has also been a cultural distancing between the Left and the military, and I think that cultural distancing has had the effect of creating fear of the military due to less direct experience with it.

I also think there is a rather rational fear of Right Wing Militias. Frankly, the last 24 years has been a bit nerve wracking (since Waco & the AWB). I think the rise of militias has set off a lot of fear. So has the rise of Private Military Security Contractors (PMSC). My research suggests the key issue causing fear is the idea that there are people out there with guns who are not "under control," either socially or legally. *Both the Right and Left have issues with exercising and resisting social control. Militias and PMSCs represent a particular fear point. The actual effect of militias is something I"ll leave undiscussed as that is debatable and leads to more divisive political rhetoric than I feel I need to stir up.

I'm rather displeased with an Orientalist/patronizing view of the "cultural other." Namely Texans. I was the same way when I was 11. It is immature and I grew beyond it.

The imagery in the trailer indicate a sense of terror, violation, and experiencing the irrational. I think people need a constructive and healthy outlet for the expression of such feelings. Recent riots, assassination attempts, and counter-riots are not what I'd call "healthy" or "constructive."

I"d also argue the imagery in the trailer suggests the seeking of a "savior & protector." This is additional common ground between Right and Left wing disaster fantasy. There is a need to feel "capable" and "able to respond to a crazy world."

My own personal conclusion in all this mess is to be rather happy with the original constraints on government in the Constitution. I also am a strong believer that we need to transition away from the centralization/Federalizing of policy and decisions and shift back to a stronger voice of the States in government. It will make a messier patchwork of laws, and lots of things we disagree with will occur in other States, which will suck, but I think we need to learn to live with people in different places having lives different from what we would prefer. I think the original intent of the founders of this country was to creatively allow people with different views to all live together.

Just my opinion.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:14 pm

The good thing about Bushwick is that it makes Red Dawn 2 look a bit more realistic :mrgreen:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:06 pm

It's on Netflix now.
Halfway through it and it's not too bad of a movie. As has been previously said, not too plausible of a plot . But then again neither is Walking dead or Godzilla vrs. Mothra. Acting's good. Dialogue is not cliché . As a action movie I'm enjoying it. But if I woke up tomorrow morning to see one of the aforementioned films actually happening. My money is on the 300 foot atomic lizard .

John Titor was right

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:22 pm

flybynight wrote:It's on Netflix now.
Halfway through it and it's not too bad of a movie. As has been previously said, not too plausible of a plot . But then again neither is Walking dead or Godzilla vrs. Mothra. Acting's good. Dialogue is not cliché . As a action movie I'm enjoying it. But if I woke up tomorrow morning to see one of the aforementioned films actually happening. My money is on the 300 foot atomic lizard .
LOL. You should checkout "Shin Godzilla" (Godzilla Resurgence) ....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Got it on dvd. Me and Godzilla go way back. We're practically pals. When I was a kid , back before dvd's or even vcr's I recorded the original Godzilla movie on a tape recorder so I could listen to it when I went to bed at night. :awesome:

John Titor was right

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:31 pm

Wait, veteran marine but he was a medic in the military?

Maybe I'll give it a watch if the wife's sleeping in. If anything it's entertainment with Netflix.
I'm honestly a little leery of watching unheard of military movies on Netflix though, watched "Checkpoint" and it was an absolute train wreck; I've seen some bad movies, but that had to be one of the worst.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:55 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:Wait, veteran marine but he was a medic in the military?
So let me get this straight.

In this movie, a veteran marine medic who is working as a janitor (not an EMS or other 1st responder) and also possesses multiple firearms (in a state not known to be firearm friendly) helps ward off Texans who want an independent TX and have thus invaded Brooklyn, NY (cuz? ...they share a common border? :clownshoes:) to massacre people.

I think I would have to do more than suspend disbelief on this one. I will pass. Thanks for the heads up on it though.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:41 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:I'll watch it when it's free on netflix or amazon. I'll probably roll my eyes a lot, but it has Bautista and Aesop Rock music so there are some redeeming qualities...

Forgot I made the above remark, but I did watch it yesterday on Netflix. A couple things to note:

-It was better than I thought it would be
-The music was very good
-The politics were mildly annoying, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I was expecting it to be non-stop propaganda, but it was pretty easy to ignore (also, it really was ironic that the whole "gun control" aspect of the movie played out. For example, there was a line that said: "we're new yorkers, of course we have lots of guns" when speaking to a big-bad-texas-kentucky-militia-bad-guy)
-The single shot steady cam filming was brilliantly done
-I didn't roll my eyes too much (in comparison to most Hollywood movies)
-Bautista is a massive human and a decent actor... but can't run worth a darn
-Brittany Snow is not a very good actress but I still love her (high school girlfriend loved John Tucker Must Die.. therefore I loved Brittany Snow)
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:21 pm

****SPOILER****
said they were inspired by an offhand comment about secession from former Texas governor Rick Perry
How did someone sneak that in here?
“Those that will be 21 by Nov. 12, I ask for your support.” (Nov. 29, 2011: Manchester, NH.)
KAYFABE !!!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:55 pm

Managed to watch it this morning on Netflix.
It's meh....
I feel like it would be a pretty good movie if they switched out the "southern militias" for an anonymous foreign military invasion, because as it is the plot makes very little sense.
Would Stupe put his frickin' pack on correctly?! Constantly running around with the pack slung over one shoulder when there wasn't really a reason to, wasting energy, but I guess it looks cool for a movie.
Now it makes more sense with Stupe being a marine medic. He was in the marine corps, and then switched to being a corpsman.
Many times the people fighting back against the invaders would be beyond dead, it appeared that the invaders were wearing plate carriers, pistol rounds and axes don't go through plates. And if you're marching down the streets with bats towards guys with AR and AKs who are pretty much just gunning people down with no discretion, you're probably all gonna die despite what this movie would have people believe :awesome:
The ending is really a let down. No great message or inspirational hope, which I'd let pass for a super realistic movie because that's life, but if I'm expected to suspend reality so much I want something deeper :ohdear:

If you've got nothing else to watch, it's okay.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:38 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:[snip]
Would Stupe put his frickin' pack on correctly?! Constantly running around with the pack slung over one shoulder when there wasn't really a reason to, wasting energy, but I guess it looks cool for a movie [snip]
Because.... TRAPS

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 pm

The ending is really a let down. No great message or inspirational hope, which I'd let pass for a super realistic movie because that's life, but if I'm expected to suspend reality so much I want something deeper
You know maybe I'm just drawing a blank . but I can't think of a single movie that's filmed in this style ( like it's being recorded on someones phone ie found footage) where everybody doesn't die at the end. Is there some unwritten ( or written ) that states all the characters must die before fade to black/ roll credits ?

John Titor was right

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am

A capsule review... of reviews.

http://digg.com/2017/bushwick-reviews-b ... -civil-war

I suppose I'll catch it off Netflix, but just my real life experiences in the 83 Pct makes it really, really hard to accept this as anything other than bad alt-universe sci-fi.

The idea of a non-brown, non-native military force occupying, controlling or even just existing in that part of Crooklyn has already been tried. It's called the NYPD.

Looks like someone at Puzzle Palace has been looking at the intel coming down the pipe from the last 10 years and slowly starting to get M4s down to the Patrol dogs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/rif ... -1.3631332

After watching a large group of... urban yutes from a Housing project harass a Mexican family in front of their own home July 4th of this year requiring Kryptonian intervention dispels any illusion of cooperation ever occurring.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:53 am

I watched about forty minutes of it and gave up on the silliness

It is free here. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2qwgh9T7qQ

Last edited by teotwaki on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:23 am

Just turned it on Netflix. Let's see how how long I last.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:41 am

Im getting a vrry...last of us (video game) vibe from these 2.

What the fuck kind of ending was that? Did they even try to make one?
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”