It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:51 pm 

How would you compare the zombie movies Night of the living dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Land of the Dead (2005)?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:13 pm 

Wow- great first post!

Can I admit that I have never seen any of them?

Hey- welcome to ZS, BTW!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:11 am 

Well now I have something to go and watch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:04 am 

"Dawn of the Dead" is my hands down favorite.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:51 pm 

I kind of favored the 1991 remake of Night of the living Dead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:18 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Moved thread to "Zombie Training Films".

I'm awfully partial to the 2004 re-make of "Dawn of the Dead." It has been a while since I've seen the original, but if memory serves, there are parts where it kind of lags. Of the three you listed, I prefer the original, 1968 version of "Night of the Living Dead," for several reasons. First, it was the movie that created the genre, IMO. I know some people will argue for "White Zombie" and others, but "Night of the Living Dead" was the first movie to bring together all of the various pieces into one film--the notion of an apocalypse, the ensuing changed-world survival, the inability of humans to work together, the need to destroy the brain, etc. Each of these ideas later came to typify the zombie genre to one degree or another.

Second, these features I mentioned above that now define the genre--to me--seem more prominent in Night of the Living Dead than the other two films. Also, the mere horror of the situation is the focus of "Night of the Living Dead" and is less so with the other two. The other two seemed more like they were trying to make some type of political or philosophical message. That's not really the case with "Night of The Living Dead"--its focus is more on how messed up the situation is and on how they're going to survive it.

"Dawn of the Dead" (1978) was okay, but it is much further down my list of good zombie movies. And I never really care for "Land of the Dead" at all, although I thought the premise sounded like it had a lot of potential. It is weird, because it had better actors than many zombie movies.

JamesCannon wrote:
I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.

Meat N' Taters wrote:
Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

Pig wrote:
How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:04 pm 

I think Night is kind of boring to watch. I know it was very influential and had some great concepts and that it was shot on a shoestring budget. I just can't get past it's negatives.

Land of the Dead had some potential and some good acting I think it kinda just came out at the wrong time when the market had been saturated. It reminds me of a Makeup and Hair band starting out in 1992 just as Grunge hits the scene.

The 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead has the best opening of any zombie movie. The first 15 minutes are excellent, the end is pretty good, so it's a good 2nd on this list.

The original 1978 Dawn of the Dead is my favorite. It's got decent acting (ok, maybe not all the zombies :lol: ), great characters both good and bad, and memorable scenes. I guess what I like best is that of all the zombie movies the characters in this one make decent decisions. I didn't say great decisions but understandable ones.

Spoilers XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Below

I mean remember in Night where they are gonna make a run to the truck but there are like a 100 zombies surrounding it.

In Day of The Dead, the goal is to train Zombies to use Firearms(WHY?????)

IN the remake of Dawn they send the dog to Andy and he tries to bring it though the dogie door. Uh you can get on the roof and tie some fishing line to an arrow, and shoot it to the other roof. You live in a damn outdoors store.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:36 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Great first post....

I like the newer movies... Land of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead. I think most of the characters are played well and make "believable" decisions under pressure according to their personalities.

I don't remember much about the old movies other than being kinda boring and over-acted... then again, I don't like older movies much other than a few war and westerns.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:38 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

The Twizzler wrote:

IN the remake of Dawn they send the dog to Andy and he tries to bring it though the dogie door. Uh you can get on the roof and tie some fishing line to an arrow, and shoot it to the other roof. You live in a damn outdoors store.

Okay, it has been a while since I've watched it and I don't know a great deal about archery, but I think the gun store where Andy was was probably too far away to hit the roof of the mall with an arrow. Especially an arrow that has a string tied to it. They had to use binoculars just to see what he was writing on his whiteboard. I'm guessing it was at least a couple hundred yards. Seems like a very difficult, if not impossible shot with a bow. Some quick Googling suggests that the maximum *effective* range with a compound bow is about 30 to 60 yards. However, the longest *recorded* distance was over 900 yards. So, I guess, theoretically, it is possible, but I'm pretty sure that once you tie a string to an arrow, you are going to severely limit its maximum possible distance, so again, I just don't see it. Also, even if Andy could get the arrow with string over there, how would they get the food back to him? I don't think even that would be an easy task.

JamesCannon wrote:
I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.

Meat N' Taters wrote:
Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

Pig wrote:
How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:38 pm 

My point is they had weeks to figure out a better plan. He had lots of guns and ammo maybe he could of rigged up one of those rope throwers they have on navy ships. Or maybe a small 3-4 inch ramp for the dog to run up. Anything but what they did.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:53 am 

The Twizzler wrote:
My point is they had weeks to figure out a better plan. He had lots of guns and ammo maybe he could of rigged up one of those rope throwers they have on navy ships. Or maybe a small 3-4 inch ramp for the dog to run up. Anything but what they did.

Well, that whole scene/idea was contrived junk anyway. A slide-up doggie door? That a teenage girl can open up from the outside? On an urban gun shop? C'mon . . . Besides, they were going to roll on over to rescue him, so he could jump on the top of the truck like a cowboy. Did they really need to send over a sammich first? I know, I know, he needed some food and energy for the great escape, but man. Maybe they could have packed a latte, some juice, and an energy bar for after they picked him up.

Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:21 pm 

You didn't watch the deleted scenes did you? Andy eats his goldfish. I guess he was pretty hungry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:28 pm 

Rklose1 wrote:
How would you compare the zombie movies Night of the living dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Land of the Dead (2005)?

I'm disappointed that the OP has not returned to see the vibrant debate he started. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:17 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Rklose1 wrote:

I'm disappointed that the OP has not returned to see the vibrant debate he started. :(

:lol:

Hey, this is Zombie Squad. We tackle all the tough questions!

JamesCannon wrote:

Meat N' Taters wrote:

Pig wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:54 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
You didn't watch the deleted scenes did you? Andy eats his goldfish. I guess he was pretty hungry.

Oh, I did. I did. I guess I'm still stinging from that whole scene. I knew right away that everything was going to go sideways, seeing how it's a zombie movie and all. It was just scream-at-the-screen time when it all went down.

Grr. Rawr.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:40 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Fu Shen wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:

Well, that whole scene/idea was contrived junk anyway. A slide-up doggie door? That a teenage girl can open up from the outside? On an urban gun shop? C'mon . . . Besides, they were going to roll on over to rescue him, so he could jump on the top of the truck like a cowboy. Did they really need to send over a sammich first? I know, I know, he needed some food and energy for the great escape, but man. Maybe they could have packed a latte, some juice, and an energy bar for after they picked him up.

Sigh.

The dude owned a shop that was stocked to the rafters with military surplus and he didn't think to grab a couple cases of MREs before that chain of events happened ?

He relied on the most inept group of survivors (the only one who seemed to have his head on straight was the mall guard CJ or whatever his name was. The guy who ends up going out in a blaze of glory at the marina.) to supply him with a snack and it cost him.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:19 pm 

Why no MREs? Same reason we have people who have a few cans of food, a case of water, $200 in ammo, and $9,800 in guns, and call themselves preppers.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:51 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

woodsghost wrote:
Why no MREs? Same reason we have people who have a few cans of food, a case of water, $200 in ammo, and $9,800 in guns, and call themselves preppers.

Good point.

Someone on ZS needs to make a zombie movie. Granted it'd be short and end with the group of survivors sitting on the roof, calmly picking off zombies and eating from their stocks of food preps, but it'd still be entertaining. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:57 am 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Good point.

Someone on ZS needs to make a zombie movie. Granted it'd be short and end with the group of survivors sitting on the roof, calmly picking off zombies and eating from their stocks of food preps, but it'd still be entertaining. :lol:

We should make a short film and enter it at Sundance.

No BS- let's do this!

Ok, lots of BS- but it's a great idea! ZS should get on this before the zombie craze dies.

It might even be a poetic ending to the zombie craze.

Who wants to write the screenplay?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:21 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Good point.

No BS- let's do this!

Ok, lots of BS- but it's a great idea! ZS should get on this before the zombie craze dies.

A guy I went to high school with makes some short films and knows a few folks that could help us, Hiro.

I suck at writing screenplays, but I'm down with getting props and finding areas out here to film. Hell, I know of a couple towns I could probably rent for a couple hundred bucks out here. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:24 pm 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Good point.

No BS- let's do this!

I'm picturing 50 ZS consultants on set, an actor playing the main character, and some extras for the Zombies.

Fade in:

Guy at his office desk, pounding away at his computer. Office flirt comes over...

OF: "Did you hear about the riots?"
Guy: Huh? no.
OF: Apparently a bunch of people started fighting in the airport. There was blood everywhere. Horrific.
Guy: Which airport?
OF: The [location airport TBD] airport.

Guy's office computer

Guy is doing a websearch on 'airport riot'. Views a couple of poor quality surveillance videos and a couple of 'shaky cam handheld' of people running and screaming and apparently fighting. Its the end of day so he shuts down packs up and heads home.

Guy's Car

Guy Drives home from work, listens to news talk radio about riots, which are spreading outward from the airport, theories are thrown around. Traffic and everything else seems normal.

Guy's House

Guy turns on the FAKE news in his house with his [wife/dog/room mate TBD] that night. Misses the main news stories, there's just stuff about puppies and the weather, and teenage girls being mean to each other, switches the channel to watch a movie. It's Dawn of the Dead. Starts yelling at the screen when they send the dog out with the sandwich. Changes channels in frustration, settles on Resident Evil.

Guy: I should friggin make a Zombie movie. I'd get everything right.

Guy's Bedroom

Guy wakes up the next morning. It's sunny out. He overslept. His alarm didn't go off, the power is out.

[The 50 ZS consultants tell what his first move should be. There are 48 different first moves suggested. Everyone quits. The end.]

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:33 pm 

MacWa77ace wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Good point.

No BS- let's do this!

I'm picturing 50 ZS consultants on set, an actor playing the main character, and some extras for the Zombies.

Fade in:

Guy at his office desk, pounding away at his computer. Office flirt comes over...

OF: "Did you hear about the riots?"
Guy: Huh? no.
OF: Apparently a bunch of people started fighting in the airport. There was blood everywhere. Horrific.
Guy: Which airport?
OF: The [location airport TBD] airport.

Guy's office computer

Guy is doing a websearch on 'airport riot'. Views a couple of poor quality surveillance videos and a couple of 'shaky cam handheld' of people running and screaming and apparently fighting. Its the end of day so he shuts down packs up and heads home.

Guy's Car

Guy Drives home from work, listens to news talk radio about riots, which are spreading outward from the airport, theories are thrown around. Traffic and everything else seems normal.

Guy's House

Guy turns on the FAKE news in his house with his [wife/dog/room mate TBD] that night. Misses the main news stories, there's just stuff about puppies and the weather, and teenage girls being mean to each other, switches the channel to watch a movie. It's Dawn of the Dead. Starts yelling at the screen when they send the dog out with the sandwich. Changes channels in frustration, settles on Resident Evil.

Guy: I should friggin make a Zombie movie. I'd get everything right.

Guy's Bedroom

Guy wakes up the next morning. It's sunny out. He overslept. His alarm didn't go off, the power is out.

[The 50 ZS consultants tell what his first move should be. There are 48 different first moves suggested. Everyone quits. The end.]

That's great! Les do this!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:51 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'm picturing the ZS consulting team going from trying to decide what the main characters first move should be to arguing about cake vs. pie or any of the other topics argued about over the years on the forums. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog