The Expanse; Syfy Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jor-el

The Expanse; Syfy Series

Post by jor-el » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:19 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expan ... _series%29

From the novels a television series forms.

Think of the movie Outland fleshed out into a full universe, then throw in...

I imagine it would have to get to a Season 3 before you realize what The Expanse actually is, and its not the Alterans.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Dabster

Re: The Expanse; Syfy Series

Post by Dabster » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:49 am

It's a great set of books. While they have taken some liberties with the characters, I really enjoyed the first episode and look forward to more.
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:54 pm

There's also a strong Firefly element; Inner Planets vs Mars vs Outer Planets Alliance.

It's the 23rd century and cartridge firearms, chemical missiles and Nukes are still the primary armaments of militaries across the Solar System (with just a little rail gun goodness).

Spacecraft still have to obey some of the laws of physics. One notable exception is their "Epstein Drive", a fusion reaction based propulsion that doesn't require 80-90% of the ship's weight to be fuel alone and provides travel speeds of days and weeks instead of years and decades.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:20 pm

I enjoyed watching the Expanse. They have done a good job so far with it.

I also enjoyed Childood's End.

SyFy has actually been good at picking up decent shows this year. Dark Matter and Killjoys were good ones too.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:04 am

Featuring

The Punisher

Clark Kent's smarter brother

Fred Johnson, Leader of the Outer Planets Alliance

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:11 am

The stout ship Serenity

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:22 pm

Watched the first 4 episodes. I'll probably keep watching. from an engineering standpoint, most was spot on. even the bump as the shuttle docked with the Navy ship (Though it should have been worse)...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Was able to watch the first episode ondemand. REALLY liked it. Sounds like they just put the other 3 up... Though from my understanding this is only a 4 part mini series. Anyone have any info if they plan on making it an actual series? I'd watch it.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Halfapint wrote:Was able to watch the first episode ondemand. REALLY liked it. Sounds like they just put the other 3 up... Though from my understanding this is only a 4 part mini series. Anyone have any info if they plan on making it an actual series? I'd watch it.

:gonk: You scared me for a minute, but then I remembered it was on syfy, not fox (Better, but not by much).

"The American TV channel Syfy announced a straight-to-series commitment to a television adaptation of The Expanse in April 2014, ordering the production of ten hour-long episodes for a first season[13] to be aired in December 2015"
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:54 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Halfapint wrote:Was able to watch the first episode ondemand. REALLY liked it. Sounds like they just put the other 3 up... Though from my understanding this is only a 4 part mini series. Anyone have any info if they plan on making it an actual series? I'd watch it.

:gonk: You scared me for a minute, but then I remembered it was on syfy, not fox (Better, but not by much).

"The American TV channel Syfy announced a straight-to-series commitment to a television adaptation of The Expanse in April 2014, ordering the production of ten hour-long episodes for a first season[13] to be aired in December 2015"
Oh I must be mistaken! I thought this was only a 4 series! Huzzah! I love it when I'm wrong!!!!!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:36 pm

Childhood's End was a 3 part miniseries, The Expanse is a full series. You likely heard something about Childhood's End being a miniseries and transferred that knowledge over to The Expanse, since they both premiered the same day and are on the same channel it is an easy mistake.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:49 am

The four episodes aired don't even get to half the book. There's like 5 books published so thats 5 seasons at least.

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:35 am

Downloaded and watched the first episode. Costumes and visuals are nice. Never heard of this series until I read this thread. Hopefully the story stays interesting.
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:14 am

I am loving it so far. Yeah, they've made changes. But they're decent ones, like WD & GoT changes. So far so good.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:25 am

Never heard of this series of novels, so any spoilers, please keep a cork in it.

Just binge watched the first four episodes through SyFy app for iOS. Have issues with the app, but the series was magnificent. This is a fully realized universe. Loved the low gravity characters, imagine the casting call "get me every actor and actress with Marfans Syndrome in North America".

Can wait to see the extras on how they developed the Belters language. I detected some Afrikaans and Urdu or Hindi.

It was the little details that really made it for me, like the higher sea level due to global warming. Nobody said it, but the sea walls surrounding the Statue of Liberty spoke volumes.

I wonder if this marks the end of Sharknado on SyFy or the dawn of a two track era where they do high end scripted shows and campy movies.

PS Face Off is still my favorite.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:37 am

Go read the novels, they won't disappoint. No spoilers from me.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:08 pm

Yeah, last week's episode I know... but yesssss... they fully captured the love affair with the coffee maker in one scene.

Loving this show. Best thing Syfy has done in a loooooooong time.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:44 pm

DJH wrote:Yeah, last week's episode I know... but yesssss... they fully captured the love affair with the coffee maker in one scene.

Loving this show. Best thing Syfy has done in a loooooooong time.
I enjoyed Dark Matter and Killjoys too but would agree the Expanse is a better show. Though would also argue that the Expanse had the benefit of being written well in advance as a book so had some ability to get fleshed out in ways shows made for tv just don't get.

Over all I have to say I am liking SyFy's trend of actually getting better quality programs. Now if they would just stop airing the wrestling which really doesn't belong on the channel. I would rather watch cheesy B sci fi shows and movies than wrestling. Airwolf reruns would make more sense.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:10 am

True. The world in the books is very well detailed. It gives it a complete feel.

I do dig Killjoys & Dark Matter as well, can't wait for those to return. I have heard rumor that Defiance has been cancelled tho. Sad about that, I did enjoy that one.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:38 am

DJH wrote:True. The world in the books is very well detailed. It gives it a complete feel.

I do dig Killjoys & Dark Matter as well, can't wait for those to return. I have heard rumor that Defiance has been cancelled tho. Sad about that, I did enjoy that one.
Sorry to confirm the rumor but yes Defiance was canceled https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Defiance_episodes
On October 16, 2015, the show was cancelled by Syfy after three seasons.

I think part of that was how badly the game flopped. They put a lot of effort into doing the game and show, and to have the game side flop so badly kinda took the wind out of the sails of the project I think.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:44 am

In the trailer for next week's episode a hint of the true nature of the series title is teased.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:49 pm

jor-el wrote:The four episodes aired don't even get to half the book. There's like 5 books published so thats 5 seasons at least.
It's looking like they're doing a half a book a season to me, which would be smart. There's just so much going on in this universe that you'd lose a lot of it compressing it to a book a season.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:58 pm

This series just keeps getting better and better. Fuck The Walking Dead, this is appointment TV
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:04 pm

Great show!
If you liked and miss Serenity this could help ease your Browncoat withdrawals a bit.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Return to “Zombie Training Films”