Fear The Walking Dead

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:15 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:It looks like a Zombies bite will make you sick and possibly die if the initial attack doesn't kill you. [boyfriend may have been bitten but that wasn't clear, and he hasn't died yet that we know] And if you die of course you will turn 'cause you were infected before you got bit.
A bite causes a wicked infection that, so far, no one has ever been shown to survive.......except for Hershel, but that's because they cut off his leg right after he was bitten.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:47 pm

dogbane wrote:
MacWa77ace wrote:It looks like a Zombies bite will make you sick and possibly die if the initial attack doesn't kill you. [boyfriend may have been bitten but that wasn't clear, and he hasn't died yet that we know] And if you die of course you will turn 'cause you were infected before you got bit.
Boyfriend was bitten. Dad-man pulled boyfriend's shirt collar aside and we saw the bite near the left collarbone.

I thought dad said it 'looked' like a bite but the boyfriend didn't didn't answer yes or no. Pretty sure it is but...
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:49 pm

LowKey wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
MacWa77ace wrote:What was mom doing looking in her purse while Tobias was getting attacked by the principal, right in front of her on the stairs ? She finally gave up looking for whatever and grabbed the fire extinguisher, but way to let your fireteam partner down. WTF.
She was looking for the pry-bar she brought......but she left it on the table after she got the drug cabinet open.
I think she was looking for pepper spray. I don't think she'd fully accepted that the walkers were DEAD, particularly her (now former, deceased) co-worker whom she kept trying to talk to as if he were merely "sick". I think she wanted to go with a LTL option, and then she realized she'd have to "kill" her old co-worker if she wanted Tobias to live when she couldn't find it quickly. She may still be thinking of them as "sick", much like Hershel did despite the impossibility people with such injuries living.
Well, after she got the door pried open the camera angle changed to specifically show her setting the pry-bar on the table.....so I'm sticking with that. :ooh:
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:53 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:I thought dad said it 'looked' like a bite but the boyfriend didn't didn't answer yes or no. Pretty sure it is but...
Madison asked, "Is that a bite?" Matt replied "Yeah."

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:30 pm

RickOShea wrote:
A bite causes a wicked infection that, so far, no one has ever been shown to survive.......except for Hershel, but that's because they cut off his leg right after he was bitten.
Yep the bite causes an infection and massive fever that ends up killing the victim. We saw that several times in WD. We also learned in WD that the CDC guy found out everyone was carrying the virus or what ever it was. The method this was spread through the population is unknown so far. As mentioned the only "cure" for a Zombie bite so far is a quick amputation. And I am sure that it would not be overly reliable considering the conditions and high probability of just regular infections after an amputation. Without a secure place to heal, and plenty of antibiotics to treat the patient, it would likely be better to just give the bite victim mercy.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:35 pm

RickOShea wrote:Well, after she got the door pried open the camera angle changed to specifically show her setting the pry-bar on the table.....so I'm sticking with that.
Yeah I'm good with that too, it looked pretty light weight so maybe she would've forgotten she didn't put it back in her purse and at the same time didn't recognize that her purse was lighter by the weight of the pry bar.

I thought maybe it was a production error, like her IRL cell phone rang during the take and she was trying to turn it off thinking she wasn't in the shot.

IRL I wouldn't use pepper spray on dude that had a buddy in the grasp like that, you'd take your buddy out too. So that also makes perfect sense that she'd attempt that.

They may have put some of the cans in their backpacks, yeah? Was there power at the school at the time, they were upstairs so it would have been a bitch to get all that stuff downstairs without an elevator in one trip.
RickOShea wrote:Madison asked, "Is that a bite?" Matt replied "Yeah."
Was it a whisper? I didn't hear anything come out of his mouth, to me he just turned his head toward her. And I was like, 'well, answer her.' Thanks.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:18 pm

ineffableone wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Yep the bite causes an infection and massive fever that ends up killing the victim. We saw that several times in WD. We also learned in WD that the CDC guy found out everyone was carrying the virus or what ever it was. The method this was spread through the population is unknown so far. As mentioned the only "cure" for a Zombie bite so far is a quick amputation. And I am sure that it would not be overly reliable considering the conditions and high probability of just regular infections after an amputation. Without a secure place to heal, and plenty of antibiotics to treat the patient, it would likely be better to just give the bite victim mercy.
I'm treating FTWD like a citizen in LA would witness this unfolding and using only evidence gathered in that AO [tv show] when making conclusions. Because they wouldn't have watched TWD or they would have known to aim for the head or that bites are infectious, etc. So I'm playing dumb as far as you know. :? It's way more fun this way.

So why is the bite more infectious and deadly than if you just got bit by a non zedified person? What biologicals exist in the mouth of a zed which, as we know, feeds on entrails, brains etc. And if he got bit that bad, why would't he have gone to the ER, that was a very nice house he lived in. [Sounds like the bite of a Komodo Dragon. Scientists had found some 50 different bacterial strains, at least seven of which are highly septic, in the saliva.]
Lifetime gamer watch at:

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:20 pm

RickOShea wrote:http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/28/wa ... ad-airline

"EW has exclusively learned AMC is producing a half-hour special that will tell a stand-alone story following a group of passengers facing a walker attack on an airline while in flight. One character who survives that encounter will then join the cast of Fear the Walking Dead in season 2. So, yes: Zombies on a Plane."
I hope its this guy.

Lifetime gamer watch at:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:50 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:I'm treating FTWD like a citizen in LA would witness this unfolding and using only evidence gathered in that AO [tv show] when making conclusions. Because they wouldn't have watched TWD or they would have known to aim for the head or that bites are infectious, etc. So I'm playing dumb as far as you know. :? It's way more fun this way.
Kewl. But maybe next time you should lead with this.....that way, we won't be wondering if you've been living under a rock for the last five years.Image

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:12 pm

A few things I noticed ( which may be nothing) . The newly turned zombie principle seemed harder to kill. She smacked him a bunch of times. One wonders if this would be because his body had not time to start to decompose so skull was harder to break. In WD they almost pop when hit in the head.
When the neighbor across the street turned and chased his wife , he was running. Not shambling or trotting.
Don't write Tobias off yet. He may be clumsy with a poor choice in weapons, but he did manage to hold off a zombie much bigger then himself for half a minute while it was on top of him, and not get bit.
Did anyone else notice how they played up recent events ( in real life) " LAPD IS OUT OF CONTROL, THAT GUY NEVER HURT ANYBODY AND HE WAS UNARMED " Then riots start when Zombie girl gets dusted.
Things I wonder about and would expect... I lived in L A for fifty years. Had my escape plans for GTHOD. The trouble is L A is huge. You can drive for hours through suburbs. Why the desert? ( o r when they say desert do they mean mountains in the desert? ) Not much water out there. Wonder if they will show a mass evacuation by sea using all the private boats in the harbors to let's say, the Channel islands? Like the show but now.... two weeks til next episode. Yea now I remember why I don't like T V Shows
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:24 pm

RickOShea wrote:
MacWa77ace wrote:I'm treating FTWD like a citizen in LA would witness this unfolding and using only evidence gathered in that AO [tv show] when making conclusions. Because they wouldn't have watched TWD or they would have known to aim for the head or that bites are infectious, etc. So I'm playing dumb as far as you know. :? It's way more fun this way.
Kewl. But maybe next time you should lead with this.....that way, we won't be wondering if you've been living under a rock for the last five years.Image
Of sorts, Me in my living room. TV's reception sucks here my precious.

Sorry, I thought it was understood that until the Atlanta and LA worlds connect via an episode in either franchise, neither the party of the first part nor the second will have any knowledge of each other or their findings. Also at this point on the timeline Hershel still has his leg. In other words, FTWD has to catch up to TWD by how many years?

My bad. :oops:
Lifetime gamer watch at:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:31 pm

flybynight wrote:When the neighbor across the street turned and chased his wife , he was running. Not shambling or trotting.
That was Peter attacking Mrs. Cruz....the neighbor that lived beside Madison that was coughing and loading supplies in the back of his Dodge Durango earlier in the day. I'll have to watch it again. When Alicia looked out the window I just remember him taking a step toward Mrs. Cruz and them both falling to the ground, then Mrs. Cruz getting away and running off.

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:39 pm

The commentary on recent events nearly had me turning off the episode, I really like getting away from the news headlines lately.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:06 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:Sorry, I thought it was understood that until the Atlanta and LA worlds connect via an episode in either franchise, neither the party of the first part nor the second will have any knowledge of each other or their findings. Also at this point on the timeline Hershel still has his leg. In other words, FTWD has to catch up to TWD by how many years?

My bad. :oops:
It is not that the characters would have the same info, but the universe they are in should keep the same rules. So they live in a world that has no zombie fiction, meaning no one immediately knows what they are dealing with. It means everyone is infected and will turn once dead. It means bites cause massive infection and fever with will result in death and turning zombie.

In WD they have not revealed what the cause of every one is infected, nor have they revealed the reason the bite is instant infection unless amputated quickly.

But FTWD should be running the same rules for the zombies and how they work. If it is explained or not. It has nothing to do with the characters having contact with the WD characters. It is the same outbreak just different location and time.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:53 pm

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:09 pm

ineffableone wrote:It is not that the characters would have the same info, but the universe they are in should keep the same rules. So they live in a world that has no zombie fiction, meaning no one immediately knows what they are dealing with. It means everyone is will become infected and will turn once dead.
I fixed it for you. Because TWD reveals information about future events, we don't know for sure yet that everyone is infected yet.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:16 pm

raistlin wrote:
ineffableone wrote:It is not that the characters would have the same info, but the universe they are in should keep the same rules. So they live in a world that has no zombie fiction, meaning no one immediately knows what they are dealing with. It means everyone is will become infected and will turn once dead.
I fixed it for you. Because TWD reveals information about future events, we don't know for sure yet that everyone is infected yet.
Considering the hospital roommate part, as well as Cal who was not bit but just shot and killed. I am pretty sure everyone IS infected already. I also suspect the junky girlfriend ODed and turned. Which would make for a good case for everyone is infected.

We already have one very blatant no bit infection, and two implied no bit infections. I stick with IS not will.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:30 pm

ineffableone wrote:
raistlin wrote:
Considering the hospital roommate part, as well as Cal who was not bit but just shot and killed. I am pretty sure everyone IS infected already. I also suspect the junky girlfriend ODed and turned. Which would make for a good case for everyone is infected.

We already have one very blatant no bit infection, and two implied no bit infections. I stick with IS not will.
Admittedly, it has been a long time since I have had statistics. But I am 100% that 2 people is not a big enough sample set to generalize for a metro area that has over 18,000,000 people ;)
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:01 am

raistlin wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
raistlin wrote:

Admittedly, it has been a long time since I have had statistics. But I am 100% that 2 people is not a big enough sample set to generalize for a metro area that has over 18,000,000 people ;)
We are talking about a TV show where what your presented in the show generally is quite acceptable to extrapolate out into wider populations. That is why they show you stuff. Along with we know from the CDC guy in WD that everyone is infected by that point. It is not beyond reason to infer that this is already the case when we see at the very beginning of the outbreak you don't need to be bitten just die and you become a zombie.

Until they provide a case where someone isn't infected, I will continue to assume everyone is.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:47 am

ineffableone wrote:
raistlin wrote: Admittedly, it has been a long time since I have had statistics. But I am 100% that 2 people is not a big enough sample set to generalize for a metro area that has over 18,000,000 people ;)
We are talking about a TV show where what your presented in the show generally is quite acceptable to extrapolate out into wider populations. That is why they show you stuff. Along with we know from the CDC guy in WD that everyone is infected by that point. It is not beyond reason to infer that this is already the case when we see at the very beginning of the outbreak you don't need to be bitten just die and you become a zombie.

Until they provide a case where someone isn't infected, I will continue to assume everyone is.
Yes. Enjoying fiction is an invitation for a reader or viewer to fill in the gaps in the story however he or she wants. But that doesn't make such fantasies fact as part of the canon.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:33 pm

flybynight wrote:The newly turned zombie principle seemed harder to kill. She smacked him a bunch of times. One wonders if this would be because his body had not time to start to decompose so skull was harder to break. In WD they almost pop when hit in the head.
Makes sense that less decay = harder to kill. But in this case I'd say Madison's difficulty bringing him down was largely the result of her being very tentative at first with that fire extinguisher. She still had only the vaguest notion of what she was dealing with and at this point in the pandemic people are still seeing these things as human beings. It stands to reason she'd be reluctant to bash his skull in on the first swing, figuring she a) only needed to knock him out, b) he needed proper medical attention c) she could be held liable.

The illogical things people are doing at this point all make perfect sense to me. This whole show seems to be about the characters' slowly dawning awareness of what this all really means and I'm enjoying their incomplete understanding of what to do.

I'll also offer a dissenting option about Nick. I really like him; he's the most interesting character to me, followed by Tobias.

flybynight wrote: When the neighbor across the street turned and chased his wife , he was running. Not shambling or trotting.
I did not notice he was running. What I saw was his wife backing away from him and then it looked like she tripped over the collapsed bouncy house. If the show's producers are trying to establish that early (non-decomposed) infected can run, they're doing a lousy job of it; all the other zombies we've seen so far have definitely been shamblers.
flybynight wrote: Don't write Tobias off yet. He may be clumsy with a poor choice in weapons, but he did manage to hold off a zombie much bigger then himself for half a minute while it was on top of him, and not get bit.

It would be nice if you were right, but I'm not hopeful. A character's survivability doesn't drive life expectancy in this show. It's whether or not their continued presence (or death) serves the story.
flybynight wrote: Did anyone else notice how they played up recent events ( in real life) " LAPD IS OUT OF CONTROL, THAT GUY NEVER HURT ANYBODY AND HE WAS UNARMED " Then riots start when Zombie girl gets dusted.
Without any implied political thoughts, I found that quite topical. We often repeat the old saw here not to trust the authorities to protect us when the SHTF. It's an interesting twist on the idea that the public might not recognize the authority's attempts to help even when they do try.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:06 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
flybynight wrote: Did anyone else notice how they played up recent events ( in real life) " LAPD IS OUT OF CONTROL, THAT GUY NEVER HURT ANYBODY AND HE WAS UNARMED " Then riots start when Zombie girl gets dusted.
Without any implied political thoughts, I found that quite topical. We often repeat the old saw here not to trust the authorities to protect us when the SHTF. It's an interesting twist on the idea that the public might not recognize the authority's attempts to help even when they do try.
The LAPD has long had a contentious relationship with many of the citizens in their city. If the crowd had started chanting "Black Lives Matter" or something similar that would have been an anachronism in a parallel universe of sorts way.

I did see a few vehicles that were a bit newer than the 2010 model year but it is going to be tough to keep all of that stuff out.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

superduder
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie, the LD trilogy, return of the living dead pt I & II,The Battery

Post by superduder » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:57 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
flybynight wrote:Well, everybody who died in the first episode turned zombie. From the druggie girlfriend, the old guy in the next bed ( implied) , car accident victim, and Cal. Even the dead bodies in the church were gone when the church was revisited.
Yeah, what did the Doctor say......"If we don't get a rhythm in 60, I want him downstairs....Too much we don't know." And then, "Okay, this Gentleman needs to be downstairs Now!"

This is what I was thinking and I think is similar to the Legacy film Night of the Living Dead. But in that film the virus also infected and reanimated the recently dead and buried too.

The virus infects everyone, but doesn't manifest itself until you die. No matter how you die, you've already got it and will reanimate unless your brain is destroyed. It doesn't spread by the Zombie's bite.

Just my guess.
:gonk:
Maybe the (Purposely Mentioned imo) "Flu Shot" could be the carrier for the "T-Virus"?
Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
J
"I've stared Azreal in the face enough that we should be pretty good friends."

Return to “Zombie Training Films”