Fear The Walking Dead

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:31 pm

raistlin wrote:I'm discussing FWD in another forum where people insist that because TWD said that the virus is everyone's brain, it must already be there in everyone's brain in the first episode of FWD (sigh).

It's amazing how little people understand about pandemics and virus propagation, and that at the beginning of a pandemic, the virus doesn't magically appear in everyone all at once.

Well, everybody who died in the first episode turned zombie. From the druggie girlfriend, the old guy in the next bed ( implied) , car accident victim, and Cal. Even the dead bodies in the church were gone when the church was revisited.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:50 pm

flybynight wrote:Well, everybody who died in the first episode turned zombie. From the druggie girlfriend, the old guy in the next bed ( implied) , car accident victim, and Cal. Even the dead bodies in the church were gone when the church was revisited.
Yeah, what did the Doctor say......"If we don't get a rhythm in 60, I want him downstairs....Too much we don't know." And then, "Okay, this Gentleman needs to be downstairs Now!"
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:53 pm

flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:I'm discussing FWD in another forum where people insist that because TWD said that the virus is everyone's brain, it must already be there in everyone's brain in the first episode of FWD (sigh).

It's amazing how little people understand about pandemics and virus propagation, and that at the beginning of a pandemic, the virus doesn't magically appear in everyone all at once.
Well, everybody who died in the first episode turned zombie. From the druggie girlfriend, the old guy in the next bed ( implied) , car accident victim, and Cal. Even the dead bodies in the church were gone when the church was revisited.
That's different, though, than everyone in LA over that time period who died turned to zombies. That could be 150 to 200 people a day in LA. One would think there would be more news accounts than that one instance. People who died in accidents or in their homes and turned before emergency services arrived. People who died in violent shootings. Police and emergency services wouldn't know what to do with it, so they would end up like the shooting video in FWD, which seems to suggest the first public instance.

Realistically, a pandemic wouldn't normally start by having everyone instantaneously infected. It would have to be a biological attack (perhaps air release or water supply) to get most of LA infected all at once. Meanwhile, we don't know how it is transmitted.

Of course even though TWD was a gritty, realistic drama for the most part, everything about the zombie infection and how the pandemic began could be fantastical and defy scientific reasoning. The writers have had 5 seasons to think about the beginning and have a logical idea about how it began, so I was hoping for better than that.

So is everyone infected? Who knows? Seems unlikely. Or maybe it's just a plot hole.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:35 pm

TWD never revealed what the cause was and I doubt FTWD will either. Since it is basically a science fiction/ horror story it could be pandemic virus or just as likely WMD. Heck it could be a naturally occurring toxin in the human body that is triggered by long term effect of elevated CO2 in the atmosphere. Kinda a don't mess with mother nature type failsafe to halt overpopulation.

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:37 pm

could be those bastard aliens. Can't trust those greys as far as they can anti grav. ET GO HOME

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:33 am

I liked it. I thought the son's struggle to maintain sanity was well done, and I was very happy to see him pick up a weapon so early in the church. Folks in movies tend to wait too long to get strapped.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:14 am

If I remember the first season's TS-19 exposition from the CDC scientist, the new pandemic was declared, but then after a few weeks it suddenly went global. It sounds like the virus or whatever causes this mutated and changed how it attacked. That could explain how the disease went to reanimating everyone who died. Once it got out into the general population it mutated and became what it is. I know enough about epidemiology that there is precedent for that. And remember, we are looking at it from ground level mostly. The "Big Brains" had already figured out how to test for it, so they knew it was in everyone.

Even if it weren't, by the time of the events of TWD everyone would have been infected from constant exposure to the blood and gore in on their skin, in their mouths, etc. When someone is killed with blunt force a fine mist of blood is sprayed and if it lands on a mucous membrane the disease can get in that way.

And among all those rotting corpses the Walker Virus is just ONE biohazard consideration.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:12 pm

RickOShea wrote:
flybynight wrote:Well, everybody who died in the first episode turned zombie. From the druggie girlfriend, the old guy in the next bed ( implied) , car accident victim, and Cal. Even the dead bodies in the church were gone when the church was revisited.
Yeah, what did the Doctor say......"If we don't get a rhythm in 60, I want him downstairs....Too much we don't know." And then, "Okay, this Gentleman needs to be downstairs Now!"

This is what I was thinking and I think is similar to the Legacy film Night of the Living Dead. But in that film the virus also infected and reanimated the recently dead and buried too.

The virus infects everyone, but doesn't manifest itself until you die. No matter how you die, you've already got it and will reanimate unless your brain is destroyed. It doesn't spread by the Zombie's bite.

Just my guess.

I don't have a problem with there being no 'Zombie fiction' in the FTWD world or any fictional Zombie world, so that no one has a clue about Zombies. It'd probably be a short Zombie show/movie that occurs in a world where everyone immediately recognizes and neutralizes the threat.

It'd be like:
'We interrupt this program; a Zombie outbreak occurred in the Mall today but 2 astute college students recognized and decapitated the walker, which was of the type 'stage 2 runner', no one was injured. And now back to the boring LMN movie you were previously watching. :gonk:
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:43 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:I don't have a problem with there being no 'Zombie fiction' in the FTWD world or any fictional Zombie world, so that no one has a clue about Zombies. It'd probably be a short Zombie show/movie that occurs in a world where everyone immediately recognizes and neutralizes the threat.

It'd be like:
'We interrupt this program; a Zombie outbreak occurred in the Mall today but 2 astute college students recognized and decapitated the walker, which was of the type 'stage 2 runner', no one was injured. And now back to the boring LMN movie you were previously watching. :gonk:
No doubt. And when the cops had that guy at the overpass and he wouldn't stay down, someone in the crowd would have been yelling, "Shoot him the head, you idiots!" :lol:
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:45 pm

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/28/wa ... ad-airline

"EW has exclusively learned AMC is producing a half-hour special that will tell a stand-alone story following a group of passengers facing a walker attack on an airline while in flight. One character who survives that encounter will then join the cast of Fear the Walking Dead in season 2. So, yes: Zombies on a Plane."

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Ok, I am digging this spin off simply based on it finally being something that shows the sh*t hitting the fan and not being something where it takes place after everything is already "over with". I really liked tonight's episode.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Rokuke

Post by Rokuke » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:04 am

Man that party is duuumb, who would think its a good idea to have one during an outbreak? XD

Man all that trouble and they did not take the food. Why don't she take the crowbar with her? ><

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:58 am

Well it is week two and all the black folk are dead or undead. Who didn't see that coming?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:04 am

Rokuke wrote:Man that party is duuumb, who would think its a good idea to have one during an outbreak? XD

Man all that trouble and they did not take the food. Why don't she take the crowbar with her? ><
I have a feeling they will be going back to that school to get food at a later date.

Tobias seemed like he had a decent idea of what was going on and what to do, but he sadly is just a weak geeky kid, low probability of him surviving unless he attaches himself to a group with some strength that values his insight.

This episode was better than the 1st, not as slow. But I am still struggling to care about any of these main characters. Only one I actually like a bit is Tobias, and I don't expect him to actually last. He isn't in the list of the cast on the AMC FTWD site. And after his little helpful insights to Miss's C it is likely he wont be coming back unless it is as a zombie or gruesome death scene. Which is really too bad as I think he is the most compelling character so far. Knowledgeable and insightful, but not physically capable and just a kid. I think a ZPAW show following his character would be much more interesting than this family.

That said as DJH said I am enjoying following the collapse part that is starting to finally take place, it is interesting to watch the decline and see how the writers portray how things would fall apart. At this point I am treating this show like Day After Tomorrow, not expecting any story worth following, but good for showing the disaster in ways we will never get to see even if we live through one, because we can't get all the different view points etc.

Who knows maybe the story telling will pick up later, maybe the characters after a bit more time will grow on me a bit more. But right now, not really feeling overly excited about the story line. Just for the impending doom and to watch it unfold.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:33 am

Rokuke wrote:Man that party is duuumb, who would think its a good idea to have one during an outbreak? XD

Because it's not common knowledge yet that you have to destroy the brain to make the zombie stay down.

Sent from my SGH-T999N using Tapatalk
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Rokuke

Post by Rokuke » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:24 am

Towanda wrote:

Because it's not common knowledge yet that you have to destroy the brain to make the zombie stay down.

Sent from my SGH-T999N using Tapatalk

I know But I'd give him the crowbar since it would be more useful in beating off attackers then the steak knife.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:41 am

Anyone notice whether any of those big cans Tobias was grabbing might have been pudding?

When the principal showed up, I thought they were going to brain him with a big can of Dinty-Moore.
Mostly not here anymore.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:53 am

What was mom doing looking in her purse while Tobias was getting attacked by the principal, right in front of her on the stairs ? She finally gave up looking for whatever and grabbed the fire extinguisher, but way to let your fireteam partner down. WTF.

Looks like if you get bit you get sick and probably die though. So standard Zed lore there.
DHJ wrote:Ok, I am digging this spin off simply based on it finally being something that shows the sh*t hitting the fan and not being something where it takes place after everything is already "over with". I really liked tonight's episode.
I was thinking the exact thing, this one is showing the progression of the outbreak where others use 'woke up', or flashbacks, or assumes.

True to life reality as civi's are DAF when it comes to making the right decisions.

Did you notice that they also threw in the standard horror movie ploy of 'OK there's danger and we know it, so lets split up, we can die faster that way'? If the sister had left for her boyfriends it would have been a perfect trifecta.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:57 am

I'm truly half-asleep from the show thus far. A lot of quiet conversations, the characters aren't hitting me, and the action scenes could have been done better. A single zombie walking across a room slowly...Why not take advantage of them being newly dead and make them faster? Not a full sprint, but a rapidly shambling zombie would be a disturbing enough sight.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:18 am

MacWa77ace wrote:What was mom doing looking in her purse while Tobias was getting attacked by the principal, right in front of her on the stairs ? She finally gave up looking for whatever and grabbed the fire extinguisher, but way to let your fireteam partner down. WTF.
She was looking for the pry-bar she brought......but she left it on the table after she got the drug cabinet open.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:39 am

MacWa77ace wrote: The virus infects everyone, but doesn't manifest itself until you die. No matter how you die, you've already got it and will reanimate unless your brain is destroyed. It doesn't spread by the Zombie's bite.

Just my guess.
I think your guess is on target.
Based on various tidbits of information in TWD, including the revelation from the CDC researcher (as stated by Rick) that every one is "infected", I'd lean towards it being biological in nature vs Cosmic Rays, Alien intervention, CO2 levels, ect.
Bacteria
Viruses
Prions
Fungi
Parasites

The last two have real world examples IIRC, infecting insects and small critters and either controlling or influencing them into actions and behaviors that are not to the hosts benefit. Mind you, when the infected critters die, they stay dead. They're "zombie like" when infected, not dead. Eviscerating one of them would kill it, not leave the disemboweled corpse moving about.

Whatever it is, FTWD seems to indicate that whatever "it" is seems to be passed around like the flu. Flu contagion rates can be very very high and if the infection doesn't cause corpses to reanimate until there has been a sufficient build up in the host body of the infectious organism(s) then onset of reanimated dead might be long enough out from the time "it" first started to spread in the GP that the overwhelming majority of the population had already been exposed (whether symptomatic or asymptomatic re: "flu like" symptoms) before the first walking corpse started moving about and causing a ruckus.
A zombie's bite doesn't cause you to turn, it just kills you. Either from blood loss/trauma or from infection. For real world examples look at the Komodo Dragons. Their bite is fatal due to the sewer of bacteria and viruses in the foamy, ropey drool in their filthy mouths. IIRC death is within 3 days or so for deer after being bitten, That kindo of matches up with TWD's presentation of time between being bitten and dying/turning. Those already ill or weakened succumb to the infection sooner, those that are more robust may fight it a bit longer.
Last edited by LowKey on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47 am

RickOShea wrote:
MacWa77ace wrote:What was mom doing looking in her purse while Tobias was getting attacked by the principal, right in front of her on the stairs ? She finally gave up looking for whatever and grabbed the fire extinguisher, but way to let your fireteam partner down. WTF.
She was looking for the pry-bar she brought......but she left it on the table after she got the drug cabinet open.
I think she was looking for pepper spray. I don't think she'd fully accepted that the walkers were DEAD, particularly her (now former, deceased) co-worker whom she kept trying to talk to as if he were merely "sick". I think she wanted to go with a LTL option, and then she realized she'd have to "kill" her old co-worker if she wanted Tobias to live when she couldn't find it quickly. She may still be thinking of them as "sick", much like Hershel did despite the impossibility people with such injuries living.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:50 am

It looks like a Zombies bite will make you sick and possibly die if the initial attack doesn't kill you. [boyfriend may have been bitten but that wasn't clear, and he hasn't died yet that we know] And if you die of course you will turn 'cause you were infected before you got bit.
LowKey wrote:The last two have real world examples IIRC, infecting insects and small critters and either controlling or influencing them into actions and behaviors that are not to the hosts benefit. Mind you, when the infected critters die, they stay dead. They're "zombie like" when infected, not dead. Eviscerating one of them would kill it, not leave the disemboweled corpse moving about.
Also see Rabies = Virus.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:00 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:It looks like a Zombies bite will make you sick and possibly die if the initial attack doesn't kill you. [boyfriend may have been bitten but that wasn't clear, and he hasn't died yet that we know] And if you die of course you will turn 'cause you were infected before you got bit.
Boyfriend was bitten. Dad-man pulled boyfriend's shirt collar aside and we saw the bite near the left collarbone.
Mostly not here anymore.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”