Fear The Walking Dead

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jor-el

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by jor-el » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:08 pm

kdalton wrote:My FTWD review is up here:

http://couchpotatoprepper.blogspot.com/ ... lking.html
Even you, kdalton, even you...

https://www.google.com/search?q=murder& ... 8&oe=utf-8

You yourself said Cal brought Nick to the tunnels to kill him and prevent Nick from exposing Cal as a drug dealer. Such an act IS murder.
Dealing in controlled substances like heroin is generally illegal in all 50 states. Protecting such an activity by killing a witness to prevent arrest and prosecution would be illegal as well as immoral.

Nick has no reason to allow Cal to shoot and likely kill him. At all. Nick's actions were not premeditated unless you consider the general idea of staying alive such.
Nick's struggle with Cal over the gun was meant only to prevent himself from getting shot. Placed as it was, the gun was going to discharge at SOMEONE. Cal brought it to the fight. Cal takes responsibility for whatever happens.

Nick killed Cal in what a court would find as justified self-defense, assuming any courts survive the zombocalypse.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:13 pm

jor-el wrote:Nick killed Cal in what a court would find as justified self-defense, assuming any courts survive the zombocalypse.
Well that is also assuming the court gets all the info we see in the show. But yes, Nick was clearly defending himself and had every right to do so. The big issue would be that Cal seemed to have done a good job hiding his drug dealing ways, and might likely be considered an innocent kid gunned down by a crazed junkie. Even as Nick was bringing his parents there, they were not believing Cal would try and hurt Nick. Because to them Cal was a sweet innocent kid and their son was a horrible junky.

But I think ZPAW is coming a bit sooner than any trial. Seems likely the police and hospitals already know something is wrong.

While they did plenty to show the police awareness, the hospital one was subtle. When Nick's roommate coded, you see how scared and nervous the doctor was? How he kept saying things like, get things ready down stairs, lets get him down stairs right away. I am guessing down stairs referring to the morgue of the hospital. And I suspect they had already realized when people die they reanimate quickly. So as soon as someone codes, they rush them to a place to deal with it.

But all this was subtle and not too overt. But I think we will find out latter that the hospital has known for awhile, and dealing with things quietly. Trying not to panic the public.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:55 pm

Paladin1 wrote:I based my "sucked" rating on a few points:

3.) Watching a show about how a junkie with bad hair deals with the zombie apocalypse is not my idea of great TV.
If it makes you feel any better you aren't actually watching that. Heroin junkies are remarkable homogenized in their behavior and he is not really behaving like one as I noted earlier. Not only that but he did not look much like one either. His skin was in great shape, no flu symptoms, no track marks (or cough), pupils normal, no scratching, made eye contact with people etc, etc etc. Other than being a little thin, pale and a bit whiny he did not do a very good job of representing.

He needs to go to Walmart and do some shoplifting then pass out in a dumpster after shooting up to get back on track.

While they did plenty to show the police awareness, the hospital one was subtle.
I am always bemused when part of the plot is that the police and other authorities are aware of a deadly health threat to the population and everyone stays quiet about it. That is pure fantasy right there.
Last edited by Stercutus on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:20 pm

Stercutus wrote:
While they did plenty to show the police awareness, the hospital one was subtle.
I am always bemused when part of the plot is that the police and other authorities are aware of a deadly health threat to the population and everyone stays quiet about it. That is pure fantasy right there.
Well there is some truth to the concept, however I think the reality would be much different and leaks about it would happen quite quickly and easily. Trying to keep this sort of heath threat under wraps would be extremely hard. Cops and nurses etc all have family too. They would start telling those close to them, and word would spread quick.

But hey we are talking about a show that doesn't even have zombie fiction and doesn't know anything about zombies so has to call them biters and walkers. So already we know this world is fiction.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:05 pm

I have a welfare cheating drug and alcohol abusing younger brother. I will take him to my BOL, someone has to walk point or man the listening post during a SHTF situation. Zombie bait is always needed!

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:55 pm

I was expecting things to progress fairly slowly with the first episode of FTWD, mostly because we were going to be getting the beginning of the story with initial character development, instead of getting filled in with flashbacks. So that wasn't much of a surprise to me, even though I did do a lot of silent urging for things to move along.

Nick the Addict was starting to annoy me with his whining, weeping and worrying about whether what he saw, or thought he saw, was real. Even after Cal tried to kill him and ended getting dead instead, Nick wasn't quite in focus. Then, he seemed to dial in his focus when Shambling Cal attacked his mom. I liked the change. He went from blubbering to mowing down someone who was supposed to already be dead. Zero to thud-splat in about 10 seconds. I liked that.

It will take me a bit to get the characters in my head but I'm going to give the show a chance. I just hope we don't see poor Tobias getting gnawed to death any time soon.

Peach

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:50 am

I too want to see Tobias survive.
Mostly not here anymore.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:59 am

dogbane wrote:I too want to see Tobias survive.
Then they will have to break the pattern of the TWD where TBG gets eaten every week.
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:20 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Then they will have to break the pattern of the TWD where TBG gets eaten every week.
http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Tobias

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:36 pm

What I didn't like...

Terrible series name

Characters whom are mostly annoying, and hard to like

Plodding story pace

Dumb plot points, such as 'Let's be Scooby-do and the gang and investigate a creepy old church filled with blood... twice!'

The festering canker sore that has become Los Angeles

What I did like...

That I fell asleep during the first watchthrough

I'm am hoping this show will get better and I will watch at least two more eps, but I am not impressed so far

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:00 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Tobias

Did not realize he was Hispanic.

I am glad they have a teen presenting with bad acne on the show.

It is interesting that in California where it is plurality Latino there are very few Latino characters on the show. In LA particularly Hispanics outnumber whites by a large margin and have quintuple the number of black or African American in the population and yet are completely under represented on the show.

I guess that is what happens when you hire nearly all Brit and Aussie actors. Maybe they will bring in more next week.
You go over and under
I go through

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:35 pm

Stercutus wrote:Did not realize he was Hispanic.

It is interesting that in California where it is plurality Latino there are very few Latino characters on the show. In LA particularly Hispanics outnumber whites by a large margin and have quintuple the number of black or African American in the population and yet are completely under represented on the show.

I guess that is what happens when you hire nearly all Brit and Aussie actors. Maybe they will bring in more next week.
FTWD is a mostly ethnic cast. http://www.amc.com/shows/fear-the-walki ... /cast-crew

There were a lot of people of color in the show, not sure how you missed them all.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:02 pm

ineffableone wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Did not realize he was Hispanic.

FTWD is a mostly ethnic cast. http://www.amc.com/shows/fear-the-walki ... /cast-crew

There were a lot of people of color in the show, not sure how you missed them all.
Right, none of those characters are of Mexican descent or immigrants from Mexico. Only one of the actors is. Mercedes Mason is actually Swedish playing a Latino. Given the huge numbers of people from Mexico or of Mexican descent living in LA this is actually quite astonishing.

Hmmm, Mercedes Mason is Swedish, Rodriguez is from Puerto Rico
You go over and under
I go through

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:02 pm

it is plurality Latino there are very few Latino characters on the show. In LA particularly Hispanics outnumber whites by a large margin and have quintuple the number of black or African American in the population
Not according to the US Census Bureau http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06037.html

Besides, most of the cast appear to be other than "White alone, not Hispanic or Latino."

Who cares? Peeps from all over the hood, man; this ain't the RNC.

Record breaking ratings. I liked it. Its a TV Show much like General Hospital or As The World Turns except people's normal consumer routine (work-buy-owe-pay) is abandoned and there are zombies. Cheer for the good guys. It is new. It is on the West Coast. It must stand alone. Divorced from Revolver Rick, Big White Carl, Caring Carol and the dude with the bangs glued to his forehead, the show must not be seen to have concurrence or connectivity because one group has already survived the downturn. For TWD, it is cleanup on aisle 6 time. Crush threats and move forward. Of course deciding what the threats are and what to do with them while balancing what it means to move forward presents enough individual and team drama to last several more years. And if their fortress becomes a village and its beacon so shines that more come to build on and live long and prosper then the series comes to an end with a glimpse of hope twinkling from the survivors eye.

I think that FTWD has to pay more attention to small nuances, like video feeds on smartphones and rumors and fears among the school kids. I think the characters have to sell the idea that they will not believe it is as bad as it is. I think they are getting it right. I could not identify with the characters yet and L.A. life does not appeal to me; so, the key parts included clues that begin pinging the alert radar that something bigger than ordinary troubles might be developing. More on that in a minute. I do like the main characters though. The Dad trying to care for two families unlike the textbook says was a good choice. He's a good actor. The Mom was cast right too. Tougher than high school, she actually works there. Failed marriage, new guy, smarter than hell daughter and junkie older son combines with the high school position to create a persona that knows to scream and fight when in trouble. The daughter and son are perfect. The girl is older than her years and her work to develop her brain will carry her a lot farther than muscle. Also, she is very attractive in a "not really from California" kind of way. The son I first thought was an overachiever. He is overdoing it a bit, says I. Then I thought it was the drugs. Then I thought it was my drugs. Then I remembered that I say no to drugs and that he is not really on drugs but is merely acting like he is for the TV Show. Then I realized he has been classically trained. I looked it up. Yes. A lot of Shakespeare. Right on. Rather than watching a 60-minute game televised for 4.5 hours on Sunday, I will keep watching this.

A TV show, with ratings being king, may have to get exciting faster than it should in order to keep people interested these days. I would rather see the perspective of as many characters as I can. People holding onto hope and being prepared and active. People giving up hope because help does not come. The premier gave signs and asks the question: "At what point does a person/family consider that this too will not pass and the SHTF alarm lever needs to be pulled? Do they stay or do they go? That will be one of the next questions. At some point, one must decide that the recoverable point has passed and is being dropped much farther down the scale. That moment when "this cannot be happening" is accepted as real and now. Many people wait too long. So, I call the small warnings DEW points, after the great mind of Marshall McLuhan, who also brought you "global village," and "The medium is the message."

“I think of art, at its most significant, as a DEW line, a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it.”
~Marshall McLuhan

Its just a TV Show.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Not according to the US Census Bureau http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06037.html
That is so last year.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html
Besides, most of the cast appear to be other than "White alone, not Hispanic or Latino."

Well at least they are trying harder than the original series.
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:27 pm

Stercutus wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Well, where do you think the zombie hordes( with a distinct Spanish accent to their growl) are going to come from?
As far as some of the criticisms. It had to start slow to build the tension. It after all is showing the beginning of the ZA.
I think the characters are kinda unlikable to begin with so when they start turning into Zombie kill of the week winners ,you will have been drawn into their metamorphosis. I couldn't help but notice though the signs of the ongoing drought. That one scene when they were at Venice beach . The grass is all dead and brown by the bike path. Never saw it like that when I lived in L A.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Saw the first episode. Liked it, and it will be interesting to see how they depict the ZPAW to unfold. Particularly what happens in LA, and whether or not it seems realistic with what one would project.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:06 pm

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:56 am

You're right, this is a place where silly childish political digs like this are not welcome. Don't do it again.
Man is a beast of prey

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:11 am

the_alias wrote:
You're right, this is a place where silly childish political digs like this are not welcome. Don't do it again.
True, but the rest of the post was pretty good analysis.
Mostly not here anymore.

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:55 pm

jor-el wrote:

Even you, kdalton, even you...

https://www.google.com/search?q=murder& ... 8&oe=utf-8

You yourself said Cal brought Nick to the tunnels to kill him and prevent Nick from exposing Cal as a drug dealer. Such an act IS murder.
Dealing in controlled substances like heroin is generally illegal in all 50 states. Protecting such an activity by killing a witness to prevent arrest and prosecution would be illegal as well as immoral.

Nick has no reason to allow Cal to shoot and likely kill him. At all. Nick's actions were not premeditated unless you consider the general idea of staying alive such.
Nick's struggle with Cal over the gun was meant only to prevent himself from getting shot. Placed as it was, the gun was going to discharge at SOMEONE. Cal brought it to the fight. Cal takes responsibility for whatever happens.

Nick killed Cal in what a court would find as justified self-defense, assuming any courts survive the zombocalypse.
Hi!

I didn't say it wasn't justified. In fact, I said:
They struggle, the gun discharges, and Cal falls to the ground, dead. Or dead-ish.
Later, I wrote:
Finally, I want to address the absolute fear of firearms characters display in this episode. When Nick shoots Cal, he leaves the gun on the ground. When he, his mother, and Travis return, and are forced to run over a zombified Cal, they leave the pistol on the ground. While it could be argued that they did not want to touch the gun for fear of being implicated in a murder, the dead guy just got up and attacked them.
If all the facts as the viewer knows them come out in court, Nick would be acquitted. It all depends on the police and the D.A. but it is Cal's gun that he brought to the crime scene. One other concern is that we don't know if Cal has used that gun on someone else. If you pick it up, your prints are on a murder weapon.

Thanks for reading my blog!

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Rokuke wrote:

Good review! The only thing I like to add is that the parents only saw the video of the zombie taking a dozen shots before falling down then getting back up. To them they would see guns being useless against a zombie. The sister on the other hand saw the head shot kill on a leaked version of the video. I doubt they are very good with guns anyway to shoot the zombie in the head.
Thanks for reading!

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:22 pm

I'm discussing FWD in another forum where people insist that because TWD said that the virus is everyone's brain, it must already be there in everyone's brain in the first episode of FWD (sigh).

It's amazing how little people understand about pandemics and virus propagation, and that at the beginning of a pandemic, the virus doesn't magically appear in everyone all at once.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:54 pm

It's never been revealed what the pathogen/cause is....virus, bacteria, parasite, cosmic space radiation, Wrath of God, etc., etc.

And with Kirkman not wanting to explain or explore it, I'd be pleasantly surprised if there were any new revelations in FTWD.

In the Woodbury novels, the protagonist flee their small Georgia town the same day the first bodies start to reanimate there. By the time they reach Atlanta 12 - 14 days later, the city has already fallen and is overrun with millions of walkers.....so I expect that L.A. will probably go down just as quickly.

Whatever "it is", it seems to spread rather quickly/easily....at least in high population areas.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”