Fear The Walking Dead

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Finally an actual preview instead of these teasers. Now I can actually say I am looking forward to this. Before I had no idea what to expect, but the preview looks decent.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Supervisor42

Post by Supervisor42 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:50 pm

RickOShea wrote:'Fear the Walking Dead' spinoff: What Los Angeles walkers will look like:
Wonder if we'll be seeing implants popping out of the walkers.....kinda like in the Dead Island 2 trailer.
Thanks pal!
I don't know why, but I cannot stop watching that video.
I watch it once a day.
I'm not a gamer so it must be the music or the "Pretty" California thing, or the "get the body you deserve" billboard.
Embrace the next generation, give them a gun and teach them to shoot. They are our future.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:01 am

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks. That imagery of all the power going out resonates.

People in my circles tend to ask me what the fascination is with the zombie TV show. Generally. they say that their kids watch it.

Recently, in an outdoor store, I overheard a family talking to each other about camping stoves so I thought to assist them with what I knew. The mother asked, "Are you a prepper?" I responded, "Isn't everyone?"

I have been thinking about that question, on and off, for a few days now.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:24 am

Fear the Walking Dead opening scene:

Last edited by RickOShea on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:27 am

I still think Fear the Walking Dead is a ridiculous title, but I'm looking forward to the show.

Sent via carrier wave.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:39 am

Anyone know if the pilot episode is going to be put up on the AMC website after it airs Sunday?

I don't get AMC on cable (I buy my episodes of TWD on Amazon). Not sure if I want to invest in this spinoff until I've sampled an episode or two.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Towanda wrote:I still think Fear the Walking Dead is a ridiculous title, but I'm looking forward to the show.

Sent via carrier wave.
I agree the title is dumb, especially due to the name Walking Dead is in reference to the survivors being the dead walking not the zombies. This spin off title is just going to confuse people more about the meaning of Walking Dead. The WD show Rick sort of mentioned it though it wasn't very strongly said, the comic really explained it and you really got the meaning in that.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:04 pm

majorhavoc wrote:Anyone know if the pilot episode is going to be put up on the AMC website after it airs Sunday?

I don't get AMC on cable (I buy my episodes of TWD on Amazon). Not sure if I want to invest in this spinoff until I've sampled an episode or two.
AMC will have the pilot up on their site either later Sunday night or sometime on Monday.

Sent via carrier wave.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:25 pm

I'm watching it now. I was expecting it to start slow...
But it seemed to move even slower than expected.
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:32 pm

Sucked.
WWSD?

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:16 pm

Did not. It's a slow burner.

Sent via carrier wave.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:04 am

Man, you know it's slow when the commercials had more exciting content.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:30 am

Yep pretty boring character building stuff this episode. Just slowly (stressing the slow) setting up the main characters and the start of the zombie outbreak.

I think it will start to speed up from here, but if they were going to do such a slow 1st episode they should have aired episode 2 right after. Because this slow start will turn plenty off.

I have to say that none of the characters appeal to me yet either. Maybe the other characters when they are introduced might, but so far this family has nothing that makes me want to watch them.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:47 am

norcalprep wrote:Man, you know it's slow when the commercials had more exciting content.
I always record shows so I can zip through the commercials. Found myself pausing to look at the commercials. Clear win for the Madison Avenue crowd.

I am going to say that was different. It would have been retard to have the protagonist wake up from a coma a month after the ZPAW so it is a slow burner. Slow burner in this case being almost no action.

While the pacing is not very good I like the West Coast feel of inner city modern family life vs the rural Deep South traditional style parental unit families that are more common in my neck of the woods. My kids were baffled at first even though they are older teenagers trying to figure out who was what and what role they were playing in the families. I think they only know of one or two blended families in our entire town and their school. Addressing the idiotic messes that people get their personal lives all tangled up into was an eye opener for them. Going to be interesting to see if the ZPAW will easily snap the weak links between the people, many of whom could not deal with all too easy modern life, when placed under all that extra stress.

Drugs like heroin are a rarity around here too. I had to suspend disbelief quite a lot when the heroin addict broke out of the hospital without stealing any drugs, then did not try to score immediately, then somehow overpowered a much larger and stronger man with a gun all while he should have been sick and fiending. There were actually quite a few moments like that such as when the mommy & boyfriend failed to react in any meaningful way to the kid running the man over with the car then becoming a zombie, failed to contact the police when they should have at the dope den etc; but hey it is a show about Zombies anyway.

I was curious what the school counselor had in her purse. Carrying a firearm on a school campus in California is a felony in just about every case. That would be an interesting nod towards lawlessness that may portend much in the future.

ETA - I also found it interesting that the casting continued the trend with a mostly foreign cast. Good to see we have at least one local girl gone and done good though!
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Rokuke

Post by Rokuke » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:59 am

Stercutus wrote:
norcalprep wrote:Man, you know it's slow when the commercials had more exciting content.
I always record shows so I can zip through the commercials. Found myself pausing to look at the commercials. Clear win for the Madison Avenue crowd.

I am going to say that was different. It would have been retard to have the protagonist wake up from a coma a month after the ZPAW so it is a slow burner. Slow burner in this case being almost no action.

While the pacing is not very good I like the West Coast feel of inner city modern family life vs the rural Deep South traditional style parental unit families that are more common in my neck of the woods. My kids were baffled at first even though they are older teenagers trying to figure out who was what and what role they were playing in the families. I think they only know of one or two blended families in our entire town and their school. Addressing the idiotic messes that people get their personal lives all tangled up into was an eye opener for them. Going to be interesting to see if the ZPAW will easily snap the weak links between the people, many of whom could not deal with all too easy modern life, when placed under all that extra stress.

Drugs like heroin are a rarity around here too. I had to suspend disbelief quite a lot when the heroin addict broke out of the hospital without stealing any drugs, then did not try to score immediately, then somehow overpowered a much larger and stronger man with a gun all while he should have been sick and fiending. There were actually quite a few moments like that such as when the mommy & boyfriend failed to react in any meaningful way to the kid running the man over with the car then becoming a zombie, failed to contact the police when they should have at the dope den etc; but hey it is a show about Zombies anyway.

I was curious what the school counselor had in her purse. Carrying a firearm on a school campus in California is a felony in just about every case. That would be an interesting nod towards lawlessness that may portend much in the future.

ETA - I also found it interesting that the casting continued the trend with a mostly foreign cast. Good to see we have at least one local girl gone and done good though!

It was the change. She is covering for the kid, its why he dropped the change on the table when he left.

Rokuke

Post by Rokuke » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:04 am

I like it so far, it's a way to introduce us to the characters before the real action starts. I don't know why people are upset since it would of been dumb to have it go from 0 to OMG ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE in this episode.

Remember it's the start of the zombie out break, TWD started way after the chaos. So lets give this time, I think it will pick up the pace next few episodes.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:12 am

It was the change. She is covering for the kid, its why he dropped the change on the table when he left.
Ah, I got ya. Also a school counselor of opposite gender giving a pat down would raise eyebrows around here. Don't know about California. I am not even sure they still have gender identification out there based upon what I see in the news.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:18 am

I based my "sucked" rating on a few points:

1.) Understand they are setting up the outbreak, but wow, it was absolutely limping along.
2.) I also understand using a dysfunctional family, and have them come together in time of great need. Yeh, that's never been done before. :roll:
3.) Watching a show about how a junkie with bad hair deals with the zombie apocalypse is not my idea of great TV.
4.) I didn't feel any chemistry between the adults, most of the dialogue was short, terse, just didn't feel real or natural.
5.) Did not have Daryl and where was Carl? :lol:
6.) And it sucked.

For those who thought it was awesome-enjoy.
WWSD?

ppfd
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead! What else!

Post by ppfd » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:05 am

I'm happy the strain is on for another month. I watched FWD, and I'll give it a week or 2.
Good news is Scott Gimple said the WD opening will be 90 minutes.

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:47 am

Rokuke

Post by Rokuke » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:17 pm

kdalton wrote:My FTWD review is up here:

http://couchpotatoprepper.blogspot.com/ ... lking.html

Good review! The only thing I like to add is that the parents only saw the video of the zombie taking a dozen shots before falling down then getting back up. To them they would see guns being useless against a zombie. The sister on the other hand saw the head shot kill on a leaked version of the video. I doubt they are very good with guns anyway to shoot the zombie in the head.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Ah, I got ya. Also a school counselor of opposite gender giving a pat down would raise eyebrows around here. Don't know about California. I am not even sure they still have gender identification out there based upon what I see in the news.
Not sure if you're just exaggerating for effect, but the news always overhypes everything. The most extreme (rare) edge cases always gets covered in such a way as to framing it as if it was the norm. When that Florida "bath salts" guy was found eating someone, the news said that Florida was overrun with zombies, but we know that zombies aren't real, right? ...right?

Return to “Zombie Training Films”