It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:47 pm 

The Russo brothers, who are taking over the reins from Joss Whedon, mentioned that in the scene where Nick Fury is being chased by mercs disguised as police oficers in Captain America: Winter Soldier,
the Penske truck that crashed into the police vehicles was no accident.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/04/13/ ... cu-2837112

Marvel loves interconnected storylines, and Punisher would be a perfect companion piece to Daredevil.
It would go to an even darker place than Daredevil did and open up a largely unexplored aspect of the MCU.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:53 am 

I hope they get the next Punisher movie right. The last one was decent, but didn't do very well in the box office.

It's amazing that Marvel go the Hulk right on the second attempt, did Iron Man well enough for the first two movies, knocked it out of the park with Captain America, Avengers, and Thor.

But, somehow they've had issues with a hero that is essentially a guy with guns. That's just about every action movie ever made, and Marvel can't get it right. A couple decades ago all they had to do was hire John Woo and slap a skull on some dude's chest. Sure the movie would have involved pigeons, but whatever, it would have been a great movie. For current generation movies it sure would be awesome if they tapped the John Wick movie team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

"Punisher: War Zone" sucked, though at least Ray Stevenson looked and acted the part. Thomas Jane's "Dirty Laundry" short was excellent; makes me think most of my quibbles against the Punisher movie he was in can be blamed on the director and/or screen writers. But save for the partially suicidal attitude shown at the end -the Punisher ain't suicidal- the Dolph Lundgren version is probably the most bad-ass in my book (except for Jane's Punisher in 'Dirty Laundry').

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:47 pm 

If you've seen Netflix Daredevil, they're looking to do the seedy underbelly of the human condition, crime and banal evil, more honesty less comic book.

I think they also want to ask the question: how far can an ordinary man make a difference in a wide universe where all the world is just one world among many, that the most powerful weapon known to man a nuclear bomb is just another round of ammunition to some entities?

Marvel always had a problem dealing with this character. There must be 6-7 different titles over the years with the name, and at least one spinoff that was in essence a gun catalog of various weapons Frank Castle has used, as well as other tricks in such a person's arsenal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:11 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I think that's been the success for Marvel recently with Iron Man, Cpt. America, THor and the Avengers. They're less comic-book movies, and more movies which just so happen to be from comic books.

I'm contrasting that with Punisher: War Zone which I re-watched last night, which includes real wtf? moments like Frank shooting a parkouring gangster in mid-air with a rocket launcher, as well as the 'kill a room full of bad guys by spinning from something on the ceiling which can spin" technique.

Haven't seen Netflix 'Daredevil' to make an opinion. Not sure I want to, as Daredevil isn't a comic book hero I like. Punisher is though. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:50 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Jon Bernthal (Shane from The Walking Dead) to Play The Punisher on "Daredevil" Season 2:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/jon-bernthal-to-play-the-punisher-on-daredevil-season-2

https://twitter.com/jonnybernthal/status/608370116041043968/photo/1

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Like most other people, I feel like any version of punisher that isn't the Laundry Day mini-movie will be a disappointment ;)

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:11 pm 

Yeah, when I saw #dirtylaundry I was filled with optimism. Jane's movie was well acted, but badly written. Way off.

I could see Jon Bernthal doing a solid job in the role. Somebody find us good writers who won't fuck Frank up. Srs.

How hard is it to understand? Bad-ass Marine losses family, responds with violence. Followed by more violence.

Serious professional violence. Grab a Marine for reference so you don't fuck that shit up.

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:57 pm 

Hope the stand alone is better than the Daredevil. Really couldn't stand him, he was awful and actually made me stop watching. I don't understand why they cant get the Punisher right. Hollywood does lots of action movies lots of fight scenes and other stuff but just butcher Punisher.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:19 pm 

I really only found the Punisher appealing when he was used as a foil for other characters who had a "no-kill" rule. Not sure how many of you are comic book fans, but the books in which he teams up with Spidey are particularly good.

The Marvel TV side of things has stayed fairly gritty and DD Season 2 was darker, IMO, than the first. I think mixing the Punisher up with other street-level, gritty characters was part of what made him fall flat. That being said, I'm not in general a fan of Punisher to begin with.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:14 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Marvel's The Punisher Official Trailer | Netflix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:34 am 

Sooo.... meh.

Shane is the Punisher. We start off with him most of the time wandering around with a not so bright expression on his face occasionally committing acts of extreme brutality to resolve things. Shane does not quite have the build that he used to in TWD but he is passable as the Punisher, unfortunately the writing is not so good. We don't worry about other dimensions to the character, there is only one.

Every veteran in the show has apparently caught the PTSD. They get together and have group counseling sessions about it and people get in touch with their feelings (no seriously they do). Not sure how everyone ended up so messed up or why there are so many specops vets living in NYC but there you have it.

The plot suffers an unrecoverable cascade failure at the 24 minute mark in Episode 1. Apparently the whole thing swirls around a group of Special Operations type warriors who were running heroin. But much to their dismay they run afoul of the one Afghani policeman in the entire country who was not interested in taking money to be a part of the plot of selling heroin. So the specops guys torture and kill him and the whole thing leads back to that. I have never heard of an Afghani policeman who wouldn't take money to run drugs so I have trouble suspending disbelief. But it was sort of the same plot that worked for the Lethal Weapon movie so ok....

Then we have the strong secret agent woman type who lacks an athletic build and lives with her mother. There is something weird going on with her eyes too like they get crossed occasionally and don't seem to focus. She really wants to figure out who the US soldiers were that killed her buddy the Afghani policeman who didn't deal drugs. Somehow she knows this is the exact plot that was taking place but for some reason does not know who did it or who was involved in it.

All in all it is a comic book where the panels are simply not that exciting, the plot not that believable and the characters drawn so-so.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 pm 

Thoroughly enjoyed this series for what it is. I like how they depict Castle's sheer will and dedication to his ideals, regardless of how unrealistic (think John Wick) the action was.

Not completely binge worthy. Needed some space in between a few episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

fatty21 wrote:
Thoroughly enjoyed this series for what it is. I like how they depict Castle's sheer will and dedication to his ideals, regardless of how unrealistic (think John Wick) the action was.

Not completely binge worthy. Needed some space in between a few episodes.

1000% agreed. I do wish there was some more action and less story, but I think they made up for it with how angry John Bernthal can act. The story helped portray that rage.

Overall, I really liked it. Took a couple days, got boring here and there, but I liked it overall.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 am 

My opinion: Meh, but Frank is not one of my favorites, as I've mentioned before. It was mildly enjoyable.

Husband's opinion: Liked it, which is saying something because he actually HATES the character.

I thought that Jon Bernthal did an excellent job acting and embodying the character. Frank Castle, although just a man, is a comic book character and so being John Wick-like (or John Wick being like him) makes sense. The writing and acting didn't overly soften Frank, but they do a good job of making you like and feel for him. I've always felt that one of the reasons his books never last very long and he is usually seen in other books is because they have a hard time making him a layered character and one-dimensional characters have trouble headlining books long-term.

This being said, other people did only so-so acting. I also saw several of the twists coming way before they were revealed. Lastly, I felt that they were attempting to modernize the character and make some statement about war, PTSD, and veterans which felt forced and fell flat a lot of the time.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm 

I'm kicking and dragging through this series. I stopped watching Daredevil because of this character. It's painfully slow, the first ep seems to have absolutely nothing to do with it other than to show you that he did normal-ish things? I'm on ep 5 I think now and they are doing a good job of making you like him. However, it. is. so. painfully. slow. Hopefully it picks up just a little bit, I'm not looking for death by the bucket load, just, something. Oh this is just me, but I hate flashbacks, I get it, it sets up things that we don't know and the writers want to explore, but..... gah.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...