Z Nation on Syfy

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Re: Z Nation on Syfy

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:47 pm

Liberty Bell, smashing zombies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peach

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:59 pm

This show just keeps getting better.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:32 pm

Mall Ninja wrote:This show just keeps getting better.
Yeah. It seems like they've started to hit their stride a little better.

And I love the occasional fun cheesy humor. I loved the whole set of scenes in the air duct with Doc. He's tried to get the Zombie high. LOL
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Just caught up on the last couple episodes.

They are still heading South, why? At least Murphy actually said this last episode they were supposed to be going West not South. But it seems like they just want to hit all the Eastcoast major cities before heading West.

On the positive note, I have noticed a small improvement in the acting. While not great, they are starting to get better. I imagine part of it is the characters develop a bit more each episode and the actors get to know the role they are playing as well as each other which improves how they portray the characters. The improvements seem pretty proportional to the amount of screen time each character/actor has gotten. So likely due to the the development of the character and the actor able to put themselves into the role better.

I like that they finally fully explained the Z virus is in everyone. Something I mentioned previously about the baby. But now it is finally out in the open and confirmed knowledge rather than just inference.

The cannibal thing was a bit cheesy, but I did like the twist of keeping them alive to prevent the z virus from turning them. Though Sunshine's lack of explaining the dangers of Philly seems a bit forced. She could have easily said from the beginning. "I have been through Philly and there are cannibals living there." She would not have to necessarily say she had been one of them or anything else. But a little warning of the danger could have gone a long way and enabled them to avoid a lot of problems. Though smart decisions make for boring viewing I guess.

The crazy general was a funny one, though a bit odd that he had only one live soldier. Why the hell did that soldier stay?

The road with people jacking everyone else was pretty funny too. Bringing up the realization the zombies are the least of your worries it is the other survivors you need to watch and worry about.

Definite improvements in the show. Still not a show I am overly excited about, but one that is cute and funny enough that I enjoy enough to make a little effort to watch.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:48 am

raistlin wrote:And I love the occasional fun cheesy humor.
This.
For my family, it is a nice break from TWD.
By this I mean that the kids have enacted a 'no talking except during commercials' rule for TWD. Making noise will get 'the glare'...
With Z Nation, I can drop my bowl of popcorn and not feel a deep need to pause/rewind/remain silent/apologize for smart remarks/etc.
Like our making fun of the show when the guy sunshine kicked and then got burned up - is found with crispy skin but not even smoke damage to his shirt...
:lol:

Cheap fun. :D
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:23 am

Z'nado. 'Nuff said. :lol:
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:52 am

DJH wrote:Z'nado. 'Nuff said. :lol:
Awesome! It is what it is.

:clap:
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:24 pm

I was a little disappointed in the z'nado, I guess I wanted more scenes of it hovering up zeds and spitting them out over the countryside. I also didn't get the scenes with Addy and Murphy, but I guess they're actually trying to develop a story.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:29 am

Okay I've watched the first three episodes, and so far my verdict is, meh. :|

When I saw it was an Asylum production I expected the worst. But the first episode wasn't too bad. Had some flaws but kept my interest and the operating premise seemed decent enough to sustain a zombie TV series. Some real thought seemed to have been applied in making this fictional universe.

The second episode was bad. Not much thinking evident this time. The zombie dog was stupid and boring, opening up a can of worms for their fictional universe (no doubt to be ignored), and the zombies had stupidly convenient variable mobility. Sometimes the zombies were slow enough for a main character to just walk right on past while on a narrow staircase! Compare that to the speedy zombies from the first episode who were vigorous enough to break down a steel door. I also disliked the whole music box lure concept.

The third episode came back up again in quality, so I'm going to give this show a chance.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:35 pm

I was first with the zombie tornado, just for the record. :P
I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado. (High Ground series now available)

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:41 am

The episode where their truck was hijacked. WHY did they even stop to hand fight the zombies in the road. There was plenty of room to just drive around them without stopping. WHY would the hijacker pose as a zombie and stand in the road? They could have A. Just shot him in the head as they easily drove AROUND him, or B. smash thru the small group of zeds just for the fun of it. Either way, realistically he should have died in that trap of his.

But a question I have about the Artic base, WHY did everyone rush to evacuate it in the first episode like the zombies were about to break down the doors? That appears to be the safest place in the world. Would like to have the guy tell us (or the dog) how he still has power, and how long it will last. And the dogsled guy, I would like to know who he was, how did he know the base was there. Search his body for peaks sake, his stuff, he may have something important on him.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:02 pm

My minor gripe is, now two or three years into the ZPAW, how did the nice bungalow in the opening scene get it's electricity for all the nice domestic services and that charmingly fake electrified fence?
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:My minor gripe is, now two or three years into the ZPAW, how did the nice bungalow in the opening scene get it's electricity for all the nice domestic services and that charmingly fake electrified fence?
You gotta learn to suspend disbelief and see Z Nation as fantasy that isn't trying to be accurate so you can enjoy it more :)

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:57 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:My minor gripe is, now two or three years into the ZPAW, how did the nice bungalow in the opening scene get it's electricity for all the nice domestic services and that charmingly fake electrified fence?
Wood gas maybe? Or Solar, or wind? Could have been hydroelectric even.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:00 am

Barnabus wrote:The episode where their truck was hijacked. WHY did they even stop to hand fight the zombies in the road. There was plenty of room to just drive around them without stopping. WHY would the hijacker pose as a zombie and stand in the road? They could have A. Just shot him in the head as they easily drove AROUND him, or B. smash thru the small group of zeds just for the fun of it. Either way, realistically he should have died in that trap of his.

But a question I have about the Artic base, WHY did everyone rush to evacuate it in the first episode like the zombies were about to break down the doors? That appears to be the safest place in the world. Would like to have the guy tell us (or the dog) how he still has power, and how long it will last. And the dogsled guy, I would like to know who he was, how did he know the base was there. Search his body for peaks sake, his stuff, he may have something important on him.
Yep, most of these are just, it is Z Nation don't expect too much from them. But I agree search the dog sled guy, he might have something important on him.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:48 pm

ineffableone wrote:
I was thinking windmill since there were in Illinois and the power dumped as the weather got worse.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:14 pm

That was a pretty good episode. I'm starting to like what they're doing with Murphy and I was surprised they killed a major character like that.

I read it somewhere, they had a rational for the fast vs slow zombies -- the longer they've been turned, the slower they are.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Indeed, Friday's episode was outstanding.

I'm not a huge zombie fan, but I think this was the first time any zombie movie or program looked at the religious implications on the dead rising. I liked how these people embraced the zombies, much like the irradiated mutants embraced the bomb in Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 am

I was surprised to see Charlie get whacked. Wonder who'll be the new leader.
And,will we see a pregnancy?

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 pm

I agree that it was a big surprise to see what I thought was the lead getting killed after four or five episodes. Then again they are pretty far west and there may be a finite number of episode. Maybe the show was just for 13 eps and done.

Maybe this is a working actors showcase where no actor stays around more than five episodes.

Maybe it all revolves around Citizen Z, each season he makes contact with another group of survivors and we follow them for 13 eps from the big eye in the sky.

Pregnancy? I don't think so. He still had his clothes on and looked like he was still warming her up.

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 am

The show has surprised me. It's not great, due in part to budget, but there's enough laughs and unexpected moments to keep me watching. The meta humor isn't terrible and some of the plots seem right out of typical zombie scenarios, although some are subverted.

My hypothesis is that he budget is slim, and it shows. Each episode requires a new set and location shooting since it's a travel story. Surprised Harold perrineau didn't make it past the first episode, but it makes sense that they can't afford him, Dj qualls and Thomas Everett Scott on what I would guess is the shows budget along with vfx and what seems to be a dozen or more zombies each week. Though now it seems they only need to pay for Qualls and even then he can shoot his scenes separate from the cast so they can make it work.

Not saying they are a-list priced actors, but they do have a cost. Syfy only has so much money, and they can't all have the budget of nBSG.

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:34 am

Edit: Double post.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:11 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
I was thinking windmill since there were in Illinois and the power dumped as the weather got worse.
If you caught it, the power died when lightning hit the power lines outside the house.
Although, we all loved that it was a chain link fence with the link and metal poles all in the dirt...
:lol:
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:16 am

Oh lord.

Zombear. Hello RDR:UN...
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”