Z Nation on Syfy

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: Z Nation on Syfy

Post by ineffableone » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:44 pm

DJH wrote:yeah saw a preview for that one. Hopes are not up high for it, SyFy seems to have a pretty low success rate with TV shows. They have the occasional winner (BSG, Defiance) but this doesn't look to be one of them. I am a little excited for the "Ascension" (http://www.syfy.com/ascension) mini-series though.
They do better at the lighter shows, like Eureka, Warehouse 13, etc. Haven I would say is also pretty good too. Lets not forget the Stargate series too. Which was their big success, though not their's originally they actually saved that series from disappearing, though that series also likely save SyFy from disapearing. but all of these shows were on for many seasons. I would not call that a low success rate.

I think the image problem with SyFy has mostly to do with their made for TV movies. Stuff like Sharknado which are just cheesy beyond belief. But their series tend to do pretty well.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:56 pm

Episode 2 is about to start!
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:26 pm

This show just gets more and more entertaining. Loved the zombie in the wheel well. I love that Patient Zero is a complaining, craven asshole.

It was a small scene but DJQualls going stir crazy.

They also upended the canon that dogs don't become zombies.

That was just the first 25 minutes
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:36 pm

OK, I gotta give points for "Fracking zombies" :clap:

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

SJNoftz

Post by SJNoftz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Double-meaning too. Ba-zing.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:40 pm

madoka wrote:How did the baby turn? I didn't see anything get near it.
Was I the only one paying attention? The virus is like WD zombie virus, it is in everyone. You die you turn. That is why they killed the old lady instead of waiting for her to die naturally. While I don't think this was explained very well in the show, I still picked up on it.

So the reason the baby turned was it finally died from exposure. That girl had been locked in the cage for 2 days, how long had the baby been in the back seat? Babies like other humans need food and water, 2 days in a car seat with no water would be very bad for a baby. So it is not beyond belief that the baby died, they had not given it any water or milk or anything after finding it.

Now not saying the baby scene was great, I thought it was pretty stupid. But I understood why the baby turned.

My big question is why are they going South?

The better route would be heading North, Use a boat on the great lakes to make time, then travel the rest of the way across Canada, finally hop in a boat on the West coast and travel in safety to California. Canada is much lower population than the US East coast or most of the US for that matter and would be much safer. Also we live on a sphere, the route across Canada is actually shorter than going across the center or the southern part of the US. This is why air travel will often head north to get to Asia or Europe from the US, shortening their distance by going North.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:37 pm

OK still wondering why the hell are they traveling the Eastern coast if they are supposed to be heading west? Previews show next episode is in Philly. Seriously WTF people why are you going to areas that would be heavily clogged with zombies because they were heavily populated areas before ZPAW? Zombie 101 stay away from large population centers. But more than that, if your at NYC, the best route west is to take I 80. You would not head South to Philly, because from Philly the best route west is to go North to I 80. I live in NJ just across from Philly, and am currently planning a cross country drive. My route is heading up to I 80.

While I liked the zombie dog, the whole going out to get the live dog and somehow the zombie dog gets inside seemed just a bit cheesy.

I do sort of like the NSA base in the arctic, and the lone guy with the satellite trying to watch and help from a remote location thing going on.

While the show is watchable, and it seriously pokes fun of some tropes and stupid things done in movies or TV it still has plenty of similar issues of it's own. People 3 years into ZPAW making really dumb decisions like getting killed trying to kill a baby zombie, heading into population centers, letting a tanker truck blow up instead of driving it away from the problem, opening doors to allow zombie dogs to get inside.

I would also say the acting is pretty bad generally. Also the filming is fairly low quality. It has the feel of a low budget fan film rather than a full on TV series.

All in all while it is not a great show, it is an OK one in my opinion. Something to watch but it is not something I am super excited about and will be following eagerly.

So any speculation on what Sunshine's past is?

My first thought is she and the gang she was with were cannibals. They made reference to a "Black Spring/Summer" when there was no food. She commented she did what she had to to survive. But did not go into what that was. Later we start to learn more about the gang she was with was some sort of abusive group, and she is a run away from that group. Though this is another big stupid trope of crazed gang leader who will hunt down escaped members through multiple states and at the cost of countless lives. Really? Why would the gang leader care someone left the group so much? Ok maybe look for them for a week or two, maybe search a bit, but to hunt and never give up. That is just beyond stupid, and quite unrealistic. Especially in ZPAW.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:43 pm

ineffableone wrote: SNIP Really? Why would the gang leader care someone left the group so much? Ok maybe look for them for a week or two, maybe search a bit, but to hunt and never give up. That is just beyond stupid, and quite unrealistic. Especially in ZPAW.
Ask Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple..

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:25 pm

ineffableone wrote:OK still wondering why the hell are they traveling the Eastern coast if they are supposed to be heading west? Previews show next episode is in Philly. Seriously WTF people why are you going to areas that would be heavily clogged with zombies because they were heavily populated areas before ZPAW? Zombie 101 stay away from large population centers. But more than that, if your at NYC, the best route west is to take I 80. . . .
No doubt. I wondered the same thing. Specifically since the instructions they received over the phone just a few minutes before said to head west until you see the ocean (or something like that).

Maybe the creators were inspired to make that Liberty Bell scene they showed in the previews, and that drove the choice of Philly for the next episode (lol)
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

SJNoftz

Post by SJNoftz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:32 pm

My issue as well is that with spotty comms and not knowing when the NSA's dude's going to get back to them, they've never once asked where to bring their passenger. They just keep hearing California. Now I may be wrong, but last time I checked California is a fairly large place.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:16 am

SJNoftz wrote: SNIP , they've never once asked where to bring their passenger. They just keep hearing California. Now I may be wrong, but last time I checked California is a fairly large place.
The journey is its own reward.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:23 am

finally watched the second episode....

Zombie dog.... I could see it happening but wouldn't he have heard it? hes walking out of a loading bay and somehow after shooting a guy in his frozen head and carrying a live dog to safety show how a zombie dog is waiting?? Fine Fine as I said SyFy flair....

Zombie in the wheel well?....?....? "hey looks like you have a flat" tire is completely full.... Jack the car up, take off wheel oh! no.... That completely full tire is actually a zombie.... haha ok fine cute whatever "that explains the pull to the left" crap.

hey lets spend 3/4 of an episode to get a fuel truck filled up, only to let it explode by some mysterious flame that lead right to our truck. Sure why the hell not...

Ok Ok.... I've been a little critical because lets face it... TWD was really bad the first season. I remember looking at the zombies and they didn't bother to put makeup on their eyes. They looked like undead but with normal eyes. But if this show gets half ass decent ratings (like all us watching it) it may actually get better... The budget may go up, so the actors care. The make up budget goes up so the zombies look better.

But lets face it its a SyFy movie, there's going to be some cheezy freaking parts to it get over it. Enjoy it for what it is, low grade tv. Nothing more, Nothing less. I'll continue to watch it because I enjoy it.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

SJNoftz

Post by SJNoftz » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Perfectly put. It's just cheap TV, and I for one love me some trashy television programming. And I want a slingshot that can go clean through a walker's head.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:26 pm

SJNoftz wrote:Perfectly put. It's just cheap TV, and I for one love me some trashy television programming. And I want a slingshot that can go clean through a walker's head.
"Cheap TV" is a good description. Definitely not as good a production as The Strain on FX. Much better writing, directing, and acting on del Toro and Hogan's show. But I am enjoying Z Nation for what it is :)
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 pm

SJNoftz wrote:Perfectly put. It's just cheap TV, and I for one love me some trashy television programming. And I want a slingshot that can go clean through a walker's head.
There was a moment they showed the shot he was using, it was a little circular saw blade thing. Thus why it would of course go right through a skull. Not just skull, but hard hat and skull.

My guess is the creators or the special effects dept had been watching Joerg's youtube stuff. I know he did launch circular saw blades at least once.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:22 am

Maybe it's just me but it looks like the characters on Z Nation are parallels of characters on TWD. 10k = Darryl, Garnett = Rick, Addy = Maggie, Doc = Dale. They aren't as well developed as the cast on TWD but I suppose when trying to work the angle that's paying off for everyone else, the important thing is to get the product out first and maybe worry about the details later.

Peach

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:37 am

Catching Episode 1 on On-Demand now. Better than I expected I'll admit.

ETA: And yep, the baby thing was about as dumb as expected.

ETA2: And episode 2. Hmm. Quite a few bad decisions there. But as somebody stated before, no bad decisions = no drama = no tv show, so whatever.

It's amusing so far. I'll keep watching.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

madoka

Post by madoka » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:54 am

ineffableone wrote:
Was I the only one paying attention? The virus is like WD zombie virus, it is in everyone. You die you turn. That is why they killed the old lady instead of waiting for her to die naturally. While I don't think this was explained very well in the show, I still picked up on it.

So the reason the baby turned was it finally died from exposure. That girl had been locked in the cage for 2 days, how long had the baby been in the back seat? Babies like other humans need food and water, 2 days in a car seat with no water would be very bad for a baby. So it is not beyond belief that the baby died, they had not given it any water or milk or anything after finding it.
If you had been paying attention, the baby was alert, bright-eyed, and active when they found it. That's why they didn't even bother giving him any water when they found him. To say that it conveniently died of exposure is just grasping at straws to excuse poor writing.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:47 pm

I really didn't like the first episode.

I got as far into the second episode as the dog and I gave up entirely (the bit with the guy named Ten Thousand put me right to the border). Allowing the infection to work on animals creates whole new levels of issues, and from what I've seen in this show, they're not smart enough to take those factors into account. The first zombie animal we see is at an outpost at the north pole? There were zero zombie animals present for the groups of survivors near civilization? We should be seeing roaming packs of zombie dogs, cats, rats, and whatever else. You could make the argument that this dog was the first zombie dog possible due to a new mutation of the disease, but then that goes back to the contrived BS they keep pulling to throw another curve ball at the audience. This show is going to be a pile of inconsistencies.

This TV show is very much in line with the bulk of zombie films that get made. It's just bad. As a HUGE fan of the zombie genre, and it's immensely frustrating to see content like this continue to pollute the entertainment industry.

On a much less negative note:
The Syfy show Helix is pretty good (it's no Breaking Bad, but it's a solid show). It's about a dangerous man made virus and infected people aggressively seek to infect other people. In that way it's more like the infection in 28 Days Later (which in my book still counts as a zombie flick). The writing in Helix is pretty interesting. By comparison it seems like Z Nation was made by their B or C string of writers. Helix has some additional layers of complexity that I don't want to ruin for any watchers. But, there's much more going on than just the virus, and the character "development" is very interesting. I hesitate to call it development, it's more like a prolonged state of character introduction. This show does a kinda similar thing as Game of Thrones in that you don't just have everyone wearing a good guy hat or a bad guy hat. Characters are complex and you may agree or disagree with a specific decision, but once you understand their motivations their decisions make sense.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:47 pm

madoka wrote:
ineffableone wrote:

If you had been paying attention, the baby was alert, bright-eyed, and active when they found it. That's why they didn't even bother giving him any water when they found him. To say that it conveniently died of exposure is just grasping at straws to excuse poor writing.
Or poor acting by the baby who was supposed to act lethargic and uncomfortable. Oh right hard to get a baby to do anything, and I doubt they are going to spend 100 takes trying to get the baby to behave right for the scene. I would not call the idea the baby died of exposure grasping at straws. It is simple logic. Seriously how long does it take for a baby to die if left alone strapped into a car seat? Hopefully I will never find out the answer to that, but I don't think it takes all that long. It was obvious that car had been there at least a day, if not more. Now would the baby be crying it's ass off stink to high heaven or display other signs of long exposure, sure. Is the acting, special effects, and general budget of this show high enough that we can assume the condition of the baby by what it looked like and how if behaved after removed from the car seat? Not really. I would say the grasping at straws is trying to judge the condition of the baby by the behavior of the baby actor.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

madoka

Post by madoka » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:58 pm

ineffableone wrote: Or poor acting by the baby who was supposed to act lethargic and uncomfortable. Oh right hard to get a baby to do anything, and I doubt they are going to spend 100 takes trying to get the baby to behave right for the scene. I would not call the idea the baby died of exposure grasping at straws. It is simple logic. Seriously how long does it take for a baby to die if left alone strapped into a car seat? Hopefully I will never find out the answer to that, but I don't think it takes all that long. It was obvious that car had been there at least a day, if not more. Now would the baby be crying it's ass off stink to high heaven or display other signs of long exposure, sure. Is the acting, special effects, and general budget of this show high enough that we can assume the condition of the baby by what it looked like and how if behaved after removed from the car seat? Not really. I would say the grasping at straws is trying to judge the condition of the baby by the behavior of the baby actor.
I take it you're not familiar with Occam's Razor?

Before you keep digging a hole for yourself, watch that scene again.

The man checks on the baby and it is absolutely fine.

The black woman walks in and asks the man about the baby. The man says the baby is "hanging in there."

About five seconds after saying that the baby is okay, it's now the world's fastest, smartest zombie.

If the writers really meant for the baby to have suddenly died of exposure, why would they write the dialog this way? Of course they can't get the baby to act, so they use makeup and other characters can fill in what we need to know. At no point was there any indication that the baby was endangered. You can use your imagination all you want to justify your make-believe scenario, but the evidence is just not there. It was just a badly written scene.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:21 pm

madoka wrote:
ineffableone wrote: Or poor acting by the baby who was supposed to act lethargic and uncomfortable. Oh right hard to get a baby to do anything, and I doubt they are going to spend 100 takes trying to get the baby to behave right for the scene. I would not call the idea the baby died of exposure grasping at straws. It is simple logic. Seriously how long does it take for a baby to die if left alone strapped into a car seat? Hopefully I will never find out the answer to that, but I don't think it takes all that long. It was obvious that car had been there at least a day, if not more. Now would the baby be crying it's ass off stink to high heaven or display other signs of long exposure, sure. Is the acting, special effects, and general budget of this show high enough that we can assume the condition of the baby by what it looked like and how if behaved after removed from the car seat? Not really. I would say the grasping at straws is trying to judge the condition of the baby by the behavior of the baby actor.
I take it you're not familiar with Occam's Razor?

Before you keep digging a hole for yourself, watch that scene again.

The man checks on the baby and it is absolutely fine.

The black woman walks in and asks the man about the baby. The man says the baby is "hanging in there."

About five seconds after saying that the baby is okay, it's now the world's fastest, smartest zombie.

If the writers really meant for the baby to have suddenly died of exposure, why would they write the dialog this way? Of course they can't get the baby to act, so they use makeup and other characters can fill in what we need to know. At no point was there any indication that the baby was endangered. You can use your imagination all you want to justify your make-believe scenario, but the evidence is just not there. It was just a badly written scene.

Hmmmm, so your arguing that a baby left for unknown amount of time in a back seat of a car during the zombie apocalypse is just fine because a character said so and the baby failed to act sick. LOL. You can make excuses all you want. Simple logic would say any baby left to the elements would not be fine. Babies die in car seats left in parking lots all the time, the parent swears they were only gone for 30 minutes.

You are right, the writers or special effects could have made it more obvious that the baby was not doing well. But then we are taking about Z Nation, where slingshots can shoot through hard hats and skulls. Where they spend an entire episode trying to fill a tanker truck then abandon it and let it blow up, when it would have been just as easy to drive it away.

So Occam's razor, what sounds more likely the baby died of exposure due to being in the back of a wrecked car for who knows how long and it was poorly written to not be obvious enough, or a baby found in a wrecked car is perfectly healthy and it is some mysterious unknown thing that caused the baby to turn and they completely failed to ever explain what it was.

I think Occam would side with me on that.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:18 pm

I think you guys are taking this too seriously. The baby scene was just plain cheesy. And there have been other indications that cheese is the goal of the writers. Did you see next week's preview with the Liberty Bell where Doc watches the Liberty Bell bouncing down the street knocking down Z's and says, "Yeah! I'd pay money to see that again": http://www.syfy.com/videos/ZNation/Prom ... id:2813379

Or in this episode near the end, when the spiked metal bat falls out of the sky into the girl's hand? Clearly, this show is not meant to be taken seriously. :)

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:37 am

Jolly good episode. Loved the nod to Apocalypse Now. Kill the rabbit, kill the rabbit, da dada da!

Return to “Zombie Training Films”