Z Nation on Syfy

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

paladinm1911

Z Nation on Syfy

Post by paladinm1911 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:21 pm

Looks like Syfy has thrown it's hat in the ring with Z Nation. http://www.syfy.com/znation

I don't know, has Asylum studios stink all over it but I'll give it a watch.

Dave

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Re: Z Nation on Syfy

Post by DJH » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:21 am

yeah saw a preview for that one. Hopes are not up high for it, SyFy seems to have a pretty low success rate with TV shows. They have the occasional winner (BSG, Defiance) but this doesn't look to be one of them. I am a little excited for the "Ascension" (http://www.syfy.com/ascension) mini-series though.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:30 am

They have some good actors in the mix including Harold Perrineau from 28Weeks Later the the tv prison drama OZ.

The trailer has an odd patina / filter that made me think I was watching a video game.

Lastly it looks like both Walking Dead and ZNation are both using a quest/cure plot.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:43 pm

The first episode of Z Nation will be on in under 20 minutes.
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:58 pm

I liked it. Fast pace with some badly needed wit and humor compared to that other series.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:54 am

Ok, so I just watched it online....... I didn't have high hopes going in, but it turned out alright. There were some entertaining moments, a diverse group of characters, and some of that special SyFy flair. All in all I've watched a hell of a lot worse shows, I think the acting will probably get better but, hey, it's a SyFy show.

I'll say watch it.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

HrothBull

Post by HrothBull » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:49 am

I was skeptical but it was pretty good.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:48 am

I'm sad Link died in this episode. The rest are unknowns, which could be a good thing.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:29 pm

jor-el wrote:I'm sad Link died in this episode. The rest are unknowns, which could be a good thing.
I guess Harold Perrineau had other acting commitments, but he may appear in flashbacks in other episodes.

I think Tom Everett Scott, the drummer in "That Thing You Do", would take umbrage at being called an unknown.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote: I think Tom Everett Scott, the drummer in "That Thing You Do", would take umbrage at being called an unknown.
I take it that's a band?
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Rev wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote: I think Tom Everett Scott, the drummer in "That Thing You Do", would take umbrage at being called an unknown.
I take it that's a band?
It was Tom Hanks feature film directorial debut.
Had that catchy tune.

Tinderbox

Post by Tinderbox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:53 pm

Just watched the first episode on demand and it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. Of course, I expected it to be really, really bad. But it was definitely better than most zombie movies.

Tom Everett Scott - the guy from "That Thing You Do" - had me scratching my head there for a little while. I kept looking at him and wondering why Robert Hays - the guy from the "Airplane!" movies - was in a TV zombie show. Then it clicked...

All in all, not too bad.
"...the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire..."

iloveash
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by iloveash » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Surprised as well. I was amazed that 80% of the time they actually did what I was yelling from the couch. "Grab that gun!" "Check for more ammo!" You know, the typical stuff you yell at zombie shows. I will give this one a shot for sure.
I survived Z-Con 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
I survived Wintergeddon 07, 08, 09, 11, 12
ZS has swallowed my soul!

madoka

Post by madoka » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:51 am

How did the baby turn? I didn't see anything get near it.

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:51 am

We watched the first episode and were also surprised. There were still definitely elements of SyFy there but it was much better than we expected. We'll probably keep watching, at least for awhile. I was kinda hoping Perrineau would look up and say, "W-Walt?", you know, for old times' sake.

Peach

modF

Post by modF » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:42 am

jor-el wrote:I'm sad Link died in this episode. The rest are unknowns, which could be a good thing.
He had to go back to the island...

I liked the show, my wife not so much, so we shall see if it makes it into our show rotation. I will say for SyFy, I was impressed and I'm glad that they are not pushing another Ghost Hunter type show. There is some potential there, I enjoyed watching Tom Everett Scott in "Saved" but that was only a one season show, and it's been years since that was on.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:42 pm

madoka wrote:How did the baby turn? I didn't see anything get near it.
From blood splatter. Though, they didn't show any blood on the baby's face, clothes, or car seat/carrier. So, one drop of infected blood flew through the air and made contact with mucus membrane in the eyes or nose. As of this point they haven't really talked about the infection or how it's transferred. In some fiction this type of infection is possible, in others it isn't.

I just finished watching the first episode. It was terrible! The plot points are too contrived.

I may watch it because I'm fond of the subject material, but I'm not looking forward to the show insulting my intelligence every step along the way (assuming the rest are like the first episode).

The quality of the zombie interactions are very much on par with some of the worst zombie movies available. The practical special effects are fine, and the dialog is better than a lot of the rest of the show.

madoka

Post by madoka » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:46 pm

zero11010 wrote: From blood splatter. Though, they didn't show any blood on the baby's face, clothes, or car seat/carrier. So, one drop of infected blood flew through the air and made contact with mucus membrane in the eyes or nose. As of this point they haven't really talked about the infection or how it's transferred. In some fiction this type of infection is possible, in others it isn't.
So the main character takes out a dozen zombies with a small hammer and gets soaked in zombie blood, but it's the baby 15 feet away with the carrier pointed away from the massacre that gets hit? :shock:

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:10 pm

madoka wrote: So the main character takes out a dozen zombies with a small hammer and gets soaked in zombie blood, but it's the baby 15 feet away with the carrier pointed away from the massacre that gets hit? :shock:
Gets turned, then get's speed, strength, reflexes, sensory perception, and coordination all beyond what a baby would be capable of. The zombie baby was more dangerous than any of the adult zombies. At that age a human child doesn't even have object permanence, so the concept of "hiding" would be impossible for its' brain to comprehend.

It's true that adult humans are often depicted in zombie fiction as capable of feats requiring more than human strength. But, most of this can be explained away with the human body's natural protection of joints and ligaments by preventing muscles from straining what the rest of the body is capable of. In a lot of zombie lore the very real notion of a zombie breaking through something (wall, or even glass), that a you or I may have trouble with is something that can scientifically be explained away. However, pretty much everything the show did with the baby was retarded.

The more I think about how stupid everything about the baby was the less interested I am in trying to watch any more of the show.

SJNoftz

Post by SJNoftz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Agreed; baby scene kinda ridiculous. Further ridiculous for me would be that a Delta operator experienced not only in modern warfare, but certainly in zombie killin'(given how long he'd survived and somehow kept a KAC PDW fed and maintained), would make such massive tactical blunders while searching for said zombie baby. Seriously, laying down to look under a car? It's a zombie, let it come to you, don't go looking for that bitch.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 pm

zero11010 wrote: SNIP I'm not looking forward to the show insulting my intelligence every step along the way (assuming the rest are like the first episode).
Absent a metaphor on the human condition, any movie about zombies is an insult to your intelligence. The question to ask is was I entertained or engaged for 52 minutes.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
zero11010 wrote: SNIP I'm not looking forward to the show insulting my intelligence every step along the way (assuming the rest are like the first episode).
Absent a metaphor on the human condition, any movie about zombies is an insult to your intelligence. The question to ask is was I entertained or engaged for 52 minutes.
Hey I thought the baby scene was absolutely the dumbest thing I have seen in a zombie show..... But I'll look past it because this was made by the people who did "sharkanado" sooooooo.... Sit back, relax, and enjoy a zombie show with some flair!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

madoka

Post by madoka » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:46 am

SJNoftz wrote:Agreed; baby scene kinda ridiculous. Further ridiculous for me would be that a Delta operator experienced not only in modern warfare, but certainly in zombie killin'(given how long he'd survived and somehow kept a KAC PDW fed and maintained), would make such massive tactical blunders while searching for said zombie baby. Seriously, laying down to look under a car? It's a zombie, let it come to you, don't go looking for that bitch.
The scene that was worse for me was at the beginning. The one with the soldier who was supposed to guard the gate. He sees a dozen zombies pushing at the gate and it's about to come off the hinges. He has his rifle and at least two more mags. Yet he sits there and waits for the zombies to break the gate and rush him. :roll:

SJNoftz

Post by SJNoftz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:56 pm

madoka wrote:
SJNoftz wrote:Agreed; baby scene kinda ridiculous. Further ridiculous for me would be that a Delta operator experienced not only in modern warfare, but certainly in zombie killin'(given how long he'd survived and somehow kept a KAC PDW fed and maintained), would make such massive tactical blunders while searching for said zombie baby. Seriously, laying down to look under a car? It's a zombie, let it come to you, don't go looking for that bitch.
The scene that was worse for me was at the beginning. The one with the soldier who was supposed to guard the gate. He sees a dozen zombies pushing at the gate and it's about to come off the hinges. He has his rifle and at least two more mags. Yet he sits there and waits for the zombies to break the gate and rush him. :roll:
RIGHT?! No taking out the most aggressive Zs while they pushed at the bars? No falling back to a position further from the gate? They were stationary targets that might as well have been in a shooting gallery, anyone with basic training could be lining up and knocking down targets with ease, let alone a special operations veteran(assuming he was part of HP's Delta team) that probably fires thousands of rounds in training to hone his trade. I call malarkey on that.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”